PDA

View Full Version : [WOJ] Sterling to sue the NBA for $1 billion

brantonli
05-30-2014, 05:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lawyer--donald-sterling-to-sue-nba-for--1-billion-212907563.html

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling plans to file a $1 billion lawsuit against the NBA, his lawyer confirmed to Yahoo Sports on Friday afternoon.

The purpose of the $1 billion lawsuit against the NBA, Blecher said, is to seek damages for Sterling's lifetime ban and termination of ownership.

I mean wow, we all knew Sterling was going to try and hit back, but 1 billion? God damn.

EDIT: adding what gts posted in the Ballmer thread, credits to gts:

and here we go...

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 8m

Sterling's lawyer MAx Blecher tells ESPN he is filing a lawsuit against the NBA for $1 billion in damages, still weighing suit vs. Shelly

Blecher: "The charges in the lawsuit are an invasion of his constitutional rights, violation of anti-trust laws, breach of fiduciary duty ..

Blecher said he's suing the NBA for damages to Donald Sterling brought on by their lifetime ban and termination charges

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell 3m
The NBA has been preparing itself for Donald Sterling to sue since Adam Silver announced his ban & fine.

NumberSix
05-30-2014, 05:57 PM
$1 billion? For what?

KendrickPerkins
05-30-2014, 05:58 PM
:roll:

TheReal Kendall
05-30-2014, 05:58 PM
I ain't mad at him. I don't agree with what he said but I feel like the NBA went to far with his punishment

Dr. Ice
05-30-2014, 05:59 PM
so he could sue them for 1 billion, but couldnt sue to somehow keep the team?

Serious question, i'm not good with law stuff

fpliii
05-30-2014, 05:59 PM
lmao dude give it up already and take the L :oldlol:

Droid101
05-30-2014, 06:01 PM
This will never see a courtroom.

Soundwave
I actually hope Ballmer walks, Sterling has the team in October, and then the NBA allows all his players to be UFAs, rendering the value of his team to that of a WNBA franchise when he could've gotten $2 billion in May.

navy
:roll:

Im done.

Soundwave
05-30-2014, 06:02 PM

Please, please, please let this happen, and let Donald Sterling be on the stand every day :lol :lol

fpliii
Seriously. Learn your place Sterling, you agreed to the league constitution and by laws when you became a franchisee. ****ing fakkit. :facepalm

Solefade
:roll: :roll:

NumberSix
I actually hope Ballmer walks, Sterling has the team in October, and then the NBA allows all his players to be UFAs, rendering the value of his team to that of a WNBA franchise when he could've gotten $2 billion in May.
Dude, you think he has enough time left to spend that money? It's literally meaningless to him. He doesn't get to take that $2B to some afterlife.

qrich
05-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Dude hired a great lawyer. He won't get the full billion, but won't be shocked for the NBA to settle for a quarter bil.

Bobcats2013
05-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Even if it gets settled out of court Sterling is pocketing 2 bill + out of the damn Clippers. One of the best business owners of our time.

All Net
05-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Surprised he hasn't been targeted yet...

Soundwave
05-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Dude, you think he has enough time left to spend that money? It's literally meaningless to him.

Well I don't think he really even knows what's happening in the first place.

Of course a lawyer is going to push him to bring this to court because they're going to get paid out the wazoo in lawyer fees no matter what happens. This case even if they lose is gonna put their kid through college and get the Mrs. a nice new Benz (which will come in handy when she finds out you've been stuffing the nanny).

If I was one of his kids though, hell yes I would be livid that a $2 billion family investment could turn to being worthless in a few months because pops is off his rocker.

brantonli
05-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Dude, you think he has enough time left to spend that money? It's literally meaningless to him. He doesn't get to take that $2B to some afterlife.

I think he is just kicking up crap for the fun of it. He's owned the Clippers for so long, he clearly never cared about winning (until landing Blake Griffin actually forced his team to become decent for once), he just wants to give the NBA a nice kick in the teeth before leaving this earth, whilst giving lawyers on both sides a crap ton of money that he can never finish spending anyway.

Reckon he'll troll the NBA by buying courtside seats to the Lakers and sitting there every game.

Droid101
05-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Please, please, please let this happen, and let Donald Sterling be on the stand every day :lol :lol
I hope this happens so much.

Droid101
Reckon he'll troll the NBA by buying courtside seats to the Lakers and sitting there every game.
Not to nitpick, but wasn't he banned from ALL NBA things, not just Clipper-related?

AnaheimLakers24
wwf esque. bran turned our beautiful league into a sideshow

Soundwave
05-30-2014, 06:10 PM
I hope Sterling also forces Anderson Cooper to be his lawyer. :lol

brantonli
05-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Not to nitpick, but wasn't he banned from ALL NBA things, not just Clipper-related?

oh yeah you're right, from all things associated with the NBA. Damn for some reason I just thought he was stripped of his ownership, I forgot he can't even go to NBA games. Wonder if he's even a basketball fan, if he doesn't mind seeing his team lose so damn often.

KendrickPerkins
05-30-2014, 06:18 PM
http://youtu.be/cKKHSAE1gIs?t=1m

Droid101
05-30-2014, 06:25 PM
oh yeah you're right, from all things associated with the NBA. Damn for some reason I just thought he was stripped of his ownership, I forgot he can't even go to NBA games. Wonder if he's even a basketball fan, if he doesn't mind seeing his team lose so damn often.
It was the first thing my wife asked too. "Why doesn't he just buy Laker tickets and troll the league?"

Great minds, and all that.

gts
05-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Please, please, please let this happen, and let Donald Sterling be on the stand every day :lol :lolonly if they put it on TV... :lol

Verticality
05-30-2014, 06:54 PM
When the Sterling stuff first hit, the estimated value of the Clippers was $700 million. So, he is suing because the NBA made him make $1.3 billion?

Vancouver-Grizz
05-30-2014, 07:02 PM
he could defend himself by saying he doesnt remember.... ;)