PDA

View Full Version : Proven 90s team >>>> today league after spurs advanced to final again!!!!

sekachu
06-01-2014, 04:14 AM
The spurs style of plays represent the 90s. Teamwork, fundamental, team defense, discipline. The old and unathletic spurs still able to beat the athletic thunder with those criteria I listed. They almost beat the Prime heat last year if not ray allen 3pts. There is no doubt in my mind the 90s knick, pacer, heat, jazz, houston would own this league today, let along the Jordan's bulls.

arifgokcen
06-01-2014, 04:26 AM
The spurs style of plays represent the 90s. Teamwork, fundamental, team defense, discipline. The old and unathletic spurs still able to beat the athletic thunder with those criteria I listed. They almost beat the Prime heat last year if not ray allen 3pts. There is no doubt in my mind the 90s knick, pacer, heat, jazz, houston would own this league today, let along the Jordan's bulls.
Dude are you kidding or are you for real

Spurs plays represent nothing like 90s.

Lets take a look at 90s

Best player overwhelms opponent.

Jordans bulls
Hakeem Rockets
Duncans spurs
even following these teams shaqs lakers

These spurs have no dominant player they are the product of the best system in the league.

If what you said was true spurs should have lost to Durants thunder.

MiseryCityTexas
06-01-2014, 04:31 AM
That's 5 star thread. That's a 5 star thread.

1987_Lakers
06-01-2014, 04:35 AM
The only team I see that the Spurs have any similarities with is the 97 & 98 Jazz, 2 best players were aging (Malone was still a superstar), both teams relied on a system. San Antonio has a little more talent.

MiseryCityTexas
06-01-2014, 04:46 AM
The only team I see that the Spurs have any similarities with is the 97 & 98 Jazz, 2 best players were aging (Malone was still a superstar), both teams relied on a system. San Antonio has a little more talent.

Jerry Sloan was an idiot for not giving Antoine Carr more playing time. Instead he would play that bum Greg Foster. SMH.

Inactive
06-01-2014, 05:02 AM
The spurs style of plays represent the 90s. Teamwork, fundamental, team defense, discipline. The old and unathletic spurs still able to beat the athletic thunder with those criteria I listed. They almost beat the Prime heat last year if not ray allen 3pts. There is no doubt in my mind the 90s knick, pacer, heat, jazz, houston would own this league today, let along the Jordan's bulls.I don't agree that the 90s exemplify those traits. There was a lot of iso ball in the 90s, more contested mid range chucking, not as many good shooters, less team defense (illegal defense rules, plus handchecking+more contact made individual defense more effective).

To me, the Spurs are a great example of a modern team. They focus on getting the best shots ( drive into paint first, then corner3->open 3 from anywhere else->post iso->midrange), they have flexible lineups, they prioritize spacing the floor with shooters, moving the ball along the perimeter, etc. You see that mentality starting to catch on in the mid 90s, but it's much more in vogue today.

SHAQisGOAT
06-01-2014, 11:50 AM
I don't agree that the 90s exemplify those traits. There was a lot of iso ball in the 90s, more contested mid range chucking, not as many good shooters, less team defense (illegal defense rules, plus handchecking+more contact made individual defense more effective).

To me, the Spurs are a great example of a modern team. They focus on getting the best shots ( drive into paint first, then corner3->open 3 from anywhere else->post iso->midrange), they have flexible lineups, they prioritize spacing the floor with shooters, moving the ball along the perimeter, etc. You see that mentality starting to catch on in the mid 90s, but it's much more in vogue today.

Nah, Spurs are pretty throwback; great ball-movement, trying to get the best shot available and not just milking the clock, adapting to the opponents, finding the better mismatches, they can run the break with great passing too, good in lots of areas... Remind me plenty of some Celtics teams from the 80's but playing to their strengths (like the C's did), not as talented and not as good individually though, having to play more as a team.

stephanieg
06-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Aside from the emphasis on corner threes, reminds me of more 80s where teams like the Celtics and Lakers would pass the ball all over the place and try to find mismatches. Multiple dudes who can post up. If all else fails, throw it to Duncan on the block.

SHAQisGOAT
06-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Aside from the emphasis on corner threes, reminds me of more 80s where teams like the Celtics and Lakers would pass the ball all over the place and try to find mismatches. Multiple dudes who can post up. If all else fails, throw it to Duncan on the block.

Yea, agreed. Thing is that those Celtics had better individual players and better individual passers, and those Lakers just the same but even with better athleticism also... That's why I really love what the Spurs do, imo great to watch.

Dr.J4ever
06-01-2014, 12:20 PM
The Spurs are a modern era team. They are NOTHING like the teams from the 90s. This is a stupid thread.

If you go back to the 80s, maybe the Celtics, yes. Even the Celtics didn't have this many shooters.

SHAQisGOAT
06-01-2014, 12:57 PM
The Spurs are a modern era team. They are NOTHING like the teams from the 90s. This is a stupid thread.

If you go back to the 80s, maybe the Celtics, yes. Even the Celtics didn't have this many shooters.

Product of their eras also, 3pt line appeared in the 80's... Still the C's had Bird and Ainge, two great 3pt shooters, and Larry was a player that could shoot them in many ways, even off the dribble or in your face, not only 3pt shooters but just great overall shooters, Bird arguably the GOAT; Wedman was past his prime (due to injuries) but had been a pretty good scorer (defender too), even able to create his own shot, especially from mid/close, he could still show flashes of that and was a decent 3pt shooter even by today's standards; and they also had Jerry Sichting who didn't have much range but from mid-range was absolutely killer, dude had a lot of open shots ofc but/and was able to hit them at an incredible %, also great from the FT line; plus DJ could make you pay on open mid-range shots.
You can also say that the Spurs don't have as good of individual talent as the Celtics did, nor as good of (individual) passing/passers... Like I've said, both teams play to their strengths but show lots of similarities (one being playing to their strengths), I've mentioned them in my previous post. They're throwback to me, and remind me of various teams from back in those days but ofc relative to this era and playing to their strengths.

Dr.J4ever
06-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Product of their eras also, 3pt line appeared in the 80's... Still the C's had Bird and Ainge, two great 3pt shooters, and Larry was a player that could shoot them in many ways, even off the dribble or in your face, not only 3pt shooters but just great overall shooters, Bird arguably the GOAT; Wedman was past his prime (due to injuries) but had been a pretty good scorer (defender too), even able to create his own shot, especially from mid/close, he could still show flashes of that and was a decent 3pt shooter even by today's standards; and they also had Jerry Sichting who didn't have much range but from mid-range was absolutely killer, dude had a lot of open shots ofc but/and was able to hit them at an incredible %, also great from the FT line; plus DJ could make you pay on open mid-range shots.
You can also say that the Spurs don't have as good of individual talent as the Celtics did, nor as good of (individual) passing/passers... Like I've said, both teams play to their strengths but show lots of similarities (one being playing to their strengths), I've mentioned them in my previous post. They're throwback to me, and remind me of various teams from back in those days but ofc relative to this era and playing to their strengths.

It's interesting that people often say, "they're a throwback with fundamentals" etc., but really, I would say there is more fundamental basketball played today, at least on offense, than most times in NBA history.

I already agreed with you about the Celtics, but I heard a commentator on Tnt or NBA tv( I forgot who) that the best comparison to this Spurs team are the NY Knicks of the early 70s. They were more of the exception, I think.

If you watch tape of the 60s and 70s, there seemed to be a lot more quick shots taken in the half court ,which is why the pace was faster. The 80s featured a lot of post up basketball, and the 90s were the worst with a lot of iso ball. The 2000s? Our Sixer team of 2001 got to the Finals with an all time ugly offense run around A1 and isos.

guy
06-01-2014, 01:41 PM
I don't agree that the 90s exemplify those traits. There was a lot of iso ball in the 90s, more contested mid range chucking, not as many good shooters, less team defense (illegal defense rules, plus handchecking+more contact made individual defense more effective).

Yes, instead of contested mid range chucking, there's more contested three point chucking today :oldlol:

There's way more ISO ball today then there has ever been before. The fact that a team like the Thunder, who rely so heavily on ISO ball, have basically been a top 3 team in the league for the past few years exemplifies that. Sure the 90s did increase ISO ball from the 80s but it was still much more team oriented then today. Its not a coincidence that the Heat and Spurs, who don't rely on the ISO style of play that much at all, are the top 2 teams in the league.

SHAQisGOAT
06-01-2014, 02:11 PM
It's interesting that people often say, "they're a throwback with fundamentals" etc., but really, I would say there is more fundamental basketball played today, at least on offense, than most times in NBA history.

I already agreed with you about the Celtics, but I heard a commentator on Tnt or NBA tv( I forgot who) that the best comparison to this Spurs team are the NY Knicks of the early 70s. They were more of the exception, I think.

If you watch tape of the 60s and 70s, there seemed to be a lot more quick shots taken in the half court ,which is why the pace was faster. The 80s featured a lot of post up basketball, and the 90s were the worst with a lot of iso ball. The 2000s? Our Sixer team of 2001 got to the Finals with an all time ugly offense run around A1 and isos.

You would say that? I definitely wouldn't, not by a long shot, I've seen much more fundamental basketball in a decade like the 80s, don't think it's even arguable at all... Better ball-movement, better off-ball movement, better use of mistmatches, less dumb shots taken, no milking the clock, ball not stagnating, fast execution trying to get the best shot, better post-game overall, better fastbreak, better footwork, higher IQ, not as good 3pt shooters (key words being 3pt) but the line was only introduced in 1980... And if you look at the better teams from today, they are the ones that "do" just that.

Yes, early 70s Knicks are also a very good comparison, really unselfish team, everybody getting touches, ball moving, taking the best shots available, taking advantage of mismatches, little "superstar play", really high IQ...

Micku
06-01-2014, 11:21 PM

Erm...as other people said, I wouldn't say that the 90s had a lot of iso ball. Not the early 90s at least. It kind'a started in the late 90s and was bad in the early 00s. I remember there was some articles about it.

Like the Lakers late 90s. They seem to run more iso ball than the Bulls despite having 4 all stars and stuff imo. But it seems that they run less iso than the Thunder. But it's been a while since I watch the late 90s Lakers.

Round Mound
06-01-2014, 11:32 PM
They Play More Like An 80s Team Than The 90s. The 90s Where Diluted Teams Wise But The Overall Talent Individually Was Better Than The 00s and 10s.

sekachu
06-02-2014, 01:29 AM

I doubted you have even watched nba in mid 90s. The team I listed 90s knick, pacer, heat , houston..... they all played in system which is very similar to spurs, especially pacer and jazz. They were as good as the current spurs imo. Great ball movement, each players stick to their role.

lol at you mentioned no shooter in 90s. The significant difference is they dont shoot as many 3pts.