View Full Version : Rate this Celtics team for 2014/15

D-FENS
06-01-2014, 10:53 AM
CT: Omer Asik/ Vitor Faverani
PF: Kevin Love/ Adriean Payne
SF: Gordon Hayward/ Gerald Wallace
SG: Avery Bradley/ Thabo Sefolosha
PG: Rajon Rondo/ Kirk Hinrich

DO you see a team like this making any noise?

CeltsGarlic
06-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Hate it. Only because of asik tho.

JohnFreeman
06-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Not that great to be honest

Derka
06-01-2014, 11:38 AM
I will never understand the love affair with Asik. He is just awful.

D-FENS
06-01-2014, 11:58 AM
I will never understand the love affair with Asik. He is just awful.

You guys sleep on Asik. He's he perfect compliment for Love

el gringos
06-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Yeah if you get asik and Hayward free and Kevin love for Jeff green and olynyk. And it looks like a trade back from #6 pick to 20-25?

Couldn't you do that for every team if you don't have to come up with anything close to realistic? Could that celtics team beat these Knicks?

Dragic
Jr smith/Gerald green
Carmelo
K love/Ryan Anderson
Bargnani

Plus I always have fesenko on my no chance of reality teams.

hawksdogsbraves
06-01-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't think it's good enough to win a ship. I'd not spend big money on Hayward, fill that position elsewhere. He's not that good.

Also who is your scorer down the stretch of games? Love isn't the best at that, and Rondo can't do it because he can't shoot. This team is gonna lose a lot of close games.

Still would be the 2nd best team in the East pretty much by default, (unless the Bulls get Melo or Rose comes back 100%).

hawksdogsbraves
06-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Yeah if you get asik and Hayward free and Kevin love for Jeff green and olynyk. And it looks like a trade back from #6 pick to 20-25?

Couldn't you do that for every team if you don't have to come up with anything close to realistic? Could that celtics team beat these Knicks?

Dragic
Jr smith/Gerald green
Carmelo
K love/Ryan Anderson
Bargnani

This team would give up 120ppg

BlackWhiteGreen
06-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Probably not as good as the more realistic:

Rondo/Lin
Bradley/LaVine
Green/Wallace
Love/Olynyk
Asik/Faverani

Love for Sullinger, Bass, Joel Anthony, 2014 #6, higher of Celtics/Clippers 15 pick, higher of Celtics/Nets 16 pick (if salaries don't work S&T Bayless)

Lin/Asik for $10.3m trade exception + Bogans (completely non-guaranteed, clears enough space for Houston to make a run at Melo)

LaVine is currently #17 in the DraftExpress Mock

CelticBaller
06-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Probably not as good as the more realistic:

Rondo/Lin
Bradley/LaVine
Green/Wallace
Love/Olynyk
Asik/Faverani

Love for Sullinger, Bass, Joel Anthony, 2014 #6, higher of Celtics/Clippers 15 pick, higher of Celtics/Nets 16 pick (if salaries don't work S&T Bayless)

Hell no

SHAQisGOAT
06-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Yea I could see that team making noise.

Dragic
Jr smith/Gerald green
Carmelo
K love/Ryan Anderson
Bargnani

AWFUL defense.

SwishSquared
06-01-2014, 02:28 PM

I could see them going to ECF for sure, especially with the way Indy played this postseason. They won't win a title, but that's a pretty good squad imo. I think they'd rather S&T Bradley to gain another trade exception (just my opinion) so they can have a big SG in Hayward and use that trade exception on a FA SF. Bradley needs to be on a team with a PG big enough to guard SGs since he's such an effective defender against PGs. Rondo has great size/length, but I think they're better off letting Bradley go if they can get a better FA.

Don't think they'd sign Thabo for anything but minimum deal since his offense fell off completely and his defense has regressed this year, hasn't it? I know Thabo's been injured, so that may have been the cause. I feel they need more offense from their bench though, so I could see them drafting a guy (assuming they don't give up #17 this year in those trades) like PJ Hairston. I think he can come off the bench and get buckets almost immediately. Payne is a solid 3rd big man, but they have the non-tax payer's MLE to use on a guy like Jordan Hill or Spencer Hawes to fill the back-up PF/C spot.

FWIW, I actually think Boston has a really good shot at landing Love and Asik and is one of 3 teams Hayward ends up with (Phoenix and Utah are the others). If Boston lands Love + Asik, I'm guessing he comes to Boston. He wants to win and he loves Stephens. Boston can send a pick in a S&T.

D-FENS
06-01-2014, 03:08 PM

I'm more so thinking of these deals:
- Trade Sullinger, Olynyk, Bogans, Bass, the 6th pick, and a future first (Nets pick?) for Kevin Love.
- Houston is involved in this trade and Asik is dealt for Jeff Green and Joel Anthony.

- I should have added, waive Gerald Wallace via stretch provision.

- Sign Hayward to a contract starting at $10 million per year

- Give Avery Bradley the qualifying offer.

- Sign Thabo Sefolosha and Kirk Hinrich

- Draft Adreian Payne at pick 17

That's not that unrealistic.

SwishSquared
06-01-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm more so thinking of these deals:
- Trade Sullinger, Olynyk, Bogans, Bass, the 6th pick, and a future first (Nets pick?) for Kevin Love.
- Houston is involved in this trade and Asik is dealt for Jeff Green and Joel Anthony.

- I should have added, waive Gerald Wallace via stretch provision.

- Sign Hayward to a contract starting at $10 million per year

- Give Avery Bradley the qualifying offer.

- Sign Thabo Sefolosha and Kirk Hinrich

- Draft Adreian Payne at pick 17

That's not that unrealistic.
Houston's not looking to take back salary in an Asik trade that does not involve a star-level player. Green can opt out next summer, but he could also opt in for 2015-2016, which messes with Houston's desire to have max level room in summer 2015 I think. They want to use Asik to get a Melo-level player. If they fail to land Melo (or even less likely, Love), I see them flipping him + cash to ATL for Millsap's expiring.

ballup
06-01-2014, 04:53 PM
I see that as a bottom playoff team. Bench is filled with washed ups.

D-FENS
06-01-2014, 05:35 PM
I see that as a bottom playoff team. Bench is filled with washed ups.

It usually takes a year to add a decent bench.

ballup
06-01-2014, 06:13 PM
You asked us to rate it as is, I'm just telling what I see.

Purch
06-01-2014, 06:57 PM

Dragic
Jr smith/Gerald green
Carmelo
K love/Ryan Anderson
Bargnani

I'm not sure that you fully understand the dynamics of basketball

NBAplayoffs2001
06-01-2014, 07:56 PM

Who is Vitor? Lol
Isn't Gerald Wallace aging...
Gordon Hayward shot 41% lsat year I think.
Kevin Love gives you no defense and Asik will have to carry a bigger role controlling the paint, at least the backups and Dwight gave him some help down ow. Payne will be a decent rookie, I doubt he will make a significant impact. I do like the other two listed.

Overall: 6/10. Cause of a decent balance in the pg/sg rotation in a weak eastern conference and kevin love being a star.

Real14
06-01-2014, 08:02 PM
No. That's a lottery pick team again.

D-FENS
06-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Who is Vitor? Lol

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/vitor_faverani/

FlawlessVictory
06-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Crazy how underrated Asik is. Would make a brilliant partner for Love. Monster rebounding and spacing from Love, shot blocking and great overall D from from Asik.

Celtics are not doing anything next year in almost any trade scenario. Ainge knows that and this is just the first major step to becoming a contender again.

The key for the Celtics is to get Love while retaining enough assets to round out the roster. The Knicks are the perfect example of what not to do.

Levity
06-02-2014, 06:44 PM
theres a lack of shooting in that backcourt, but i do like the idea of love/asik. asik is a great body to have clog the paint on D and his interior presence should deter away guards who do end up getting past rondo or bradley.

hayward is a great 2nd/3rd option to have on that team.