PDA

View Full Version : NYtimes: Pop's adjustments pay off

Dr.J4ever
06-01-2014, 11:55 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/sports/basketball/spurs-experimentation-with-lineups-pays-off.html

If you were paying attention to the N.B.A. in 2012, Diaw’s emergence as the key to the Spurs’ keeping up with the Thunder is a mind-bending development. A little more than two years ago, Diaw was cut by the Charlotte Bobcats, a team that went on to finish 7-59, the worst record in N.B.A. history. Diaw had gained what looked like 50 pounds in two seasons in Charlotte.

Where many saw a fat waste of talent, the Spurs saw potential. And like Danny Green before him, Diaw rehabilitated his game in San Antonio. Who else but the Spurs could take a player who was too bad for the worst team in basketball and make him the key to reaching the N.B.A. finals?

Dr.J4ever
06-01-2014, 12:03 PM
When people say, " their bench is crap", or he(any superstar) "didn't have enough of a supporting cast", or he "needed more scorers and other stars" to win a title, I remember what Pop did, and how his players have adopted a team first approach of sharing the basketball.

You can't say "we don't have enough scoring" if you don't share the basketball. You must have the system to make other players succeed, not just your superstars.

Look at the Spurs. Did anyone think highly of Diaw, Mills, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard before they got to SA? You have to give opportunities and a system for players to thrive. Not enough coaches in the NBA do this.

SCdac
06-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Diaw won "Most Improved Player" in 2006 and could basically play all 5 positions on those Run-and-Gun suns. He was an established product, however fat or unmotivated on losing teams. Kawhi was a near lottery pick. Patty was a professional overseas and also for the Blazers. Danny Green I'd say has been the biggest beneficiary of Pop and the Spurs system... Having said that, starting Matt Bonner (even if he shot 0-5938), was an excellent adjustment to draw Ibaka out of the paint early on.

Dr.J4ever
06-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Diaw won "Most Improved Player" in 2006 and could basically play all 5 positions on those Run-and-Gun suns. He was an established product, however fat or unmotivated on losing teams. Kawhi was a near lottery pick. Patty was a professional overseas and also for the Blazers. Danny Green I'd say has been the biggest beneficiary of Pop and the Spurs system... Having said that, starting Matt Bonner (even if he shot 0-5938), was an excellent adjustment to draw Ibaka out of the paint early on.
Okay, my mistake on Kawhi Leonard, but not on all the other "role players". C'mon, very few NBA teams would have taken a chance on Mills or Danny Green, or the "fat" Diaw. I myself thought he was done 2 years ago.

Being good every year, the Spurs had to figure a way of turning late picks in the draft to something good. Turning "ordinary" players into a cog in a smooth running offense.

AirFederer
06-01-2014, 12:50 PM
GOAT coach :bowdown:

Kidbasketball20
06-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Popovich wants to get Lin when his contract runs out

Fiddlesticks
06-01-2014, 01:27 PM
PJax>Pop
11>4

nightprowler10
06-01-2014, 01:35 PM
:eek:

rezznor
06-01-2014, 02:14 PM
PJax>Pop
11>4
robert horry > michael jordan
7 > 6

chocolatethunder
06-01-2014, 02:29 PM
I would. I can't imagine Pop would want a guy who needs the ball in his hands to be effective and who is turnover prone. He's the opposite of a guy Pop would want.

Nash
06-01-2014, 02:34 PM
goat move of the playoffs was putting Rashard Lewis on David West. How the f*ck did this move become so successful? Miami had major problems with West for years and all along Rashard old man Lewis was the solution?

Also on top of it Spo managed to get some kind of offense from Lewis as well.

jstern
06-01-2014, 03:27 PM
This gif would have been a lot better if it focused more on the Popovich vs Durant fight.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nifdxU-2siE/U35MT_0QHMI/AAAAAAABeeU/FZ9MaqNFy-U/w427-h240/bdnjptrfzwtqg3id2cfh.gif

Pop can also have fun.

http://ed_wp-content_v2.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/pop-dancing-parade.gif

TheGreatDeraj
06-01-2014, 04:02 PM
goat move of the playoffs was putting Rashard Lewis on David West. How the f*ck did this move become so successful? Miami had major problems with West for years and all along Rashard old man Lewis was the solution?

Also on top of it Spo managed to get some kind of offense from Lewis as well.

New to the NBA? Rashard Lewis was a good post player and post defender in Seattle and even in Orlando.

SpanishACB
06-01-2014, 04:30 PM
good article overall but I think it makes a very wrong assumption with is one of the text's fonudations.

he says pop has used 80 something line-ups because he has been experimenting and resting players, sure, those 2 are reasons for that. But they have missed the main and most obvious reasons for rotating starting players: form and match ups.

You pay attention to trainning, you start those who are lighting it up. Put whoever has fresher legs on the opponent's star etc etc etc

a logic approach that most teams don't follow in favor of a set in stone starting 5. A virtual differentation between starters and bench that allows more specialized advertising and merchandising (starting 5 features, team presentations etc etc)

Dr.J4ever
06-01-2014, 10:16 PM
The Spurs should win this in 7. The keys: HCA, a better Spurs team than last year, a slightly weaker Heat team, a better Splitter.

It would be good for the league if the Spurs win. I can't stand Heat fans, in general.:lol

Fiddlesticks
06-01-2014, 10:23 PM
robert horry > michael jordan
7 > 6
easy to see that MJ is a better player than Horry. Tell me why PJax isn't better than Pop.

Dr.J4ever
06-01-2014, 10:32 PM
easy to see that MJ is a better player than Horry. Tell me why PJax isn't better than Pop.
It's close. The thing about Pjax is, has he ever had a challenging team to build? He's always had such great players in their prime, it's been relatively easier. Yes, winning titles with great players isn't automatic, but has he ever had a challenge like Pop of building a team with player's who are either past their prime or just "ordinary" players in the eyes of the rest of the league?

stalkerforlife
06-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Diaw was amazing.

Great job Pop, the Spurs, and Diaw.

Dr.J4ever
06-02-2014, 01:05 PM
ESPN's 5 on 5 debate the biggest storylines of the NBA Finals!

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/page/5-on-5-140602/most-important-storyline-finals

:applause: