PDA

View Full Version : Spurs players are overrated

Lebronxrings
06-02-2014, 04:47 PM
When you got the greatest coach of all time of course you would look good :facepalm . Easy baskets, as well as playing team ball. Ever wonder why every spurs player becomes considerably good? Its cuz pop is that dam good. Meanwhile you have a guy like lebron with an idiot coach who doesn't know how to run an offense. Im sorry Lebron>Duncan.

Paul George 24
06-02-2014, 04:51 PM
When you got the greatest coach of all time of course you would look good :facepalm . Easy baskets, as well as playing team ball. Ever wonder why every spurs player becomes considerably good? Its cuz pop is that dam good. Meanwhile you have a guy like lebron with an idiot coach who doesn't know how to run an offense. Im sorry Lebron>Duncan.

HEAT IS OVERRATED

Lebronxrings
06-02-2014, 04:52 PM
HEAT IS OVERRATED
thats what i've been saying too.

GeeWiz
06-02-2014, 04:52 PM
So you are trying to insult team ball?

T_L_P
06-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Clearly you started watching ball last year.

Can you explain how Popovich was a masterful offensive coach from '98-'05? I'll wait.

pastis
06-02-2014, 05:10 PM
real talk now: duncan til 03 = monster, duncan til 05: very good, duncan til 07: good to very good.

07-14 in my opinion overrated. still good, effective, but not that good duncan stans wanna see him respectively underappreciating the role of popovic, manu and parker and the fact what popovic could and can do with scrub players (=turning them into good bball players, playing tough defense, creating space, nice team basketball). in the RS and playoffs 05, the spurs became just what they are now: nice team basketball, chemistry, its beautiful to see this ballhandling and passing.

Myth
06-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Yes, the players do get some freebie points from Pop's system, but that hasn't always been the case. Also, some will use Pop's system as an excuse to underrate players. I've more and more seen Pop get all of the credit for Duncan still being good, but if you watched overtime the other night, Duncan was schooling Ibaka in 1 on 1 situations with excellent post moves.

inclinerator
06-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Clearly you started watching ball last year.

Can you explain how Popovich was a masterful offensive coach from '98-'05? I'll wait.
he evolved

T_L_P
06-02-2014, 05:29 PM
he evolved

Definitely, which is why I don't get the 'LeBron>Duncan' point. Unless he means right now, which is a given.

But like I said, Pop was no genius on offense during Duncan's best years. The offense was: give it to Duncan, put some wings on the 3 pt line, let him create.

Threethrows
06-02-2014, 06:01 PM
How does having a good coach make them overrated? Dumbest logic on ISH today, congrats.

Oly BC
06-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Setting proper screens is underrated. Passing the ball is underrated.

As individuals, Spurs players may lack in comparison. Games aren't a 1v1 situation though.

ImKobe
06-02-2014, 06:29 PM
of course "Heat" fans are going to downplay their coach and their supporting cast to make Lebron look better

POS

Lebronxrings
06-02-2014, 06:41 PM
of course "Heat" fans are going to downplay their coach and their supporting cast to make Lebron look better

POS
im not downplaying anyone. If lebron had phil jackson and shaq, i shudder to think how many rings he would have won.

Fudge
06-02-2014, 06:45 PM
im not downplaying anyone.
You literally just said Spo is an idiot who doesn't know how to run an offense. :facepalm

When in reality, Miami has one of the best offenses in the league. :lol Fcuking LeBron stans.

GeeWiz
06-02-2014, 06:48 PM
im not downplaying anyone. If lebron had phil jackson and shaq, i shudder to think how many rings he would have won.

Imagine if Duncan had prime Wade and Bosh?? :eek:

It goes both ways

inclinerator
06-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Imagine if Duncan had prime Wade and Bosh?? :eek:

It goes both ways
lebron with pop has a good chance to be goat

GeeWiz
06-02-2014, 06:53 PM

Depends on his supporting cast, he can't do it on his own.

inclinerator
06-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Depends on his supporting cast, he can't do it on his own.
pop will just pick up some guys from the local ymca

T_L_P
06-02-2014, 06:56 PM

Does he have to play in the early 2000s West though, or the current East?

inclinerator
06-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Does he have to play in the early 2000s West though, or the current East?
idk how much he would win but i meant developing lebron as a player

GeeWiz
06-02-2014, 06:58 PM
pop will just pick up some guys from the local ymca

LeBron is the type of player that needs his shooters/shot-creators when defenses start closing on him,

I doubt LeBron/Pop + scrubs would win anything, especially if they are playing in the west

GeeWiz
06-02-2014, 07:00 PM
idk how much he would win but i meant developing lebron as a player

To be the greatest ever he would still have to win multiple titles.

mattvNJ
06-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Not overrated. They just fully believe in a concept instituted by a good coach. Duncan is a grandpa putting in work, manu is hitting his shots, parker is one of the best PGs in the game and runs their system to a T and Leonard is an emerging star.

They hit their shots, they do what is needed to be successful. The players may be overrated but as a whole that team is as cohesive as it gets.

Anaximandro1
06-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Pop has done a good job.

That said, Pop owes his career to Avery Johnson, David Robinson and Tim Duncan :

-Pop had a coaching record in the NBA of (17 - 47) when Duncan joined the Spurs in 1997.

-Robinson handed the keys to Duncan in 1998-99

-Pop was going to be fired after the Spurs (6-8) got destroyed by the Jazz (11-2) early in the 1998-99 season. Avery and David knew that the game in Houston was Pop's last chance and played extremely well. Of course, Duncan had a strong game in Houston.

-A few weeks later, Duncan destroyed the Jazz, the Lakers and the Knicks ... The Spurs won their first championship.

Avery Johnson served as the player-coach while Pop seemed like an interloper.

-Duncan missed the 2000 playoffs (knee injury). The Spurs lost 3-1 in the first round ... look at the Spurs' offensive rating.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bHoxDH1Z0R0/U1cAiKaUYMI/AAAAAAAACw4/DZn80W5O-_8/s1600/11.jpg

-Duncan decided to sign with Orlando in 2000, but Robinson persuaded him to stay at the last minute. If Duncan leaves the Spurs in 2000, Popovich's would have had a short career.

-Pop won four titles when he had the best player in the NBA. After 2007, Duncan was no longer the same player, and the Spurs underwent a trial-and-error process .... Jefferson, Blair, Bonner were failures; Scola joined the Rockets ,etc. Later, the Spurs changed their style of play and found Kawhi. It's been seven years since the Spurs won their last title.

-The best thing about Pop is that he has improved over the years... 2014 Pop is light years ahead of 2000 Pop.

Rocketswin2013
06-02-2014, 07:31 PM
LeBron is the type of player that needs his shooters/shot-creators when defenses start closing on him,

I doubt LeBron/Pop + scrubs would win anything, especially if they are playing in the west
LeBron does not need anything specific to win. It's literally the opposite. LeBron plays his current style besause Wade and Bosh are shells of themselves. LeBron plays PF because Miami doesn't have a center. If anything, the entire heat roster needs LeBron. Not the other way around.

JimmyMcAdocious
06-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Duncan is Al Jefferson without Pop.
Parker is Ramon Sessions without Pop.
Ginobili is Lance Stephenson without Pop.
Leonard is Michael Kidd-Gilchrist without Pop.
Green is your Walmart bag boy without Pop.
Splitter is Nenad Krstic without Pop.
Marco Belinelli is Sasha Pavlovic without Pop.

Now Pop isn't perfect. Diaw and Patty Mills are being held back. Diaw is basically Magic and Patty is Vinnie Johnson.

So Pop took:
Vinnie/Sessions
Stephenson/Bag boy
MKG/Pavlovic
Magic
Al Jeff/Krstic

...to the Finals.

I have seen better coaching jobs before. :confusedshrug:

GeeWiz
06-02-2014, 08:03 PM
LeBron does not need anything specific to win. It's literally the opposite. LeBron plays his current style besause Wade and Bosh are shells of themselves. LeBron plays PF because Miami doesn't have a center. If anything, the entire heat roster needs LeBron. Not the other way around.

LeBron has always needed outside shooting to win, this applies for almost any elite player (forwards especially).

Scrubs + Bron is not enough in the West, but they have a chance in the East

T_L_P
06-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Duncan is Al Jefferson without Pop.
Parker is Ramon Sessions without Pop.
Ginobili is Lance Stephenson without Pop.
Leonard is Michael Kidd-Gilchrist without Pop.
Green is your Walmart bag boy without Pop.
Splitter is Nenad Krstic without Pop.
Marco Belinelli is Sasha Pavlovic without Pop.

Now Pop isn't perfect. Diaw and Patty Mills are being held back. Diaw is basically Magic and Patty is Vinnie Johnson.

So Pop took:
Vinnie/Sessions
Stephenson/Bag boy
MKG/Pavlovic
Magic
Al Jeff/Krstic

...to the Finals.

I have seen better coaching jobs before. :confusedshrug:

You saying right now Duncan is Jefferson without Pop, or in his prime he's Al Jefferson without Pop?

Lebronxrings
06-02-2014, 10:48 PM
You literally just said Spo is an idiot who doesn't know how to run an offense. :facepalm

When in reality, Miami has one of the best offenses in the league. :lol Fcuking LeBron stans.
still mad over dubetas loss? Heat have a good offense because of lebron. Bet you thought cleveland also had a good offense when he was there :oldlol:. Spo is a terrible coach, who gets bailed out since he has the best player in history. People complain about scott brooks, but no one realizes Spo is a poor man's Scott Brooks.

Artillery
06-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Spurs ran a simple offensive system for most of the 2000s(Duncan's prime). It was ugly but effective basketball - lots of ISOs with a primary focus to slow the game down to a crawl. A defensive team basically.

The current Spurs that play with an emphasis on finding the best available shot through passing was non-existent back then. Pop picked up a lot of PnR sets from guys like D'Antoni and Sloan and only started implementing them in the past five years(from 2010 onwards). If there's any player that benefited from this new Spurs system it's probably Parker. He was an above average player for most of the 2000s and suddenly shot to stardom from 2008 on.

Paul George 24
06-03-2014, 12:51 AM

he won't sccores more than 23ppg :banana:

poido123
06-03-2014, 12:53 AM
Just came in to say, a coach doesn't play for the player.

You have to have talent in the first place to be good.