PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith vs Blake Griffin

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 03:52 PM
If you put Josh Smith on the Clippers he would put up Griffin numbers with more play making ability and better defense.

Josh Smith is almost as athletic as Griffin but he has more handles and can shoot better than Griffin.

Marlo_Stanfield
06-03-2014, 03:58 PM
If you put Josh Smith on the Clippers he would put up Griffin numbers with more play making ability and better defense.

Josh Smith is almost as athletic as Griffin but he has more handles and can shoot better than Griffin.
have you ever seen that nikka play at all??

chocolatethunder
06-03-2014, 03:59 PM

0/10

Legends66NBA7
I remember when Brandonislegend made the comparison in 2012. Problem is, Smith's basketball IQ as often come into question and he's had problems with coaching/management before. You also don't trade for someone older and will be 30 in 2 years time.

Griffin was the answer in 2012 and he's the answer for the Clippers now.

hawkfan
hawkfan Trade Scenario (where amazing happens): Lakers and Pistons

If the Lakers strike out and don't get a top free agent, then they can re-sign Pau Gasol to a 2 years, $34 million deal. Then they can use the remainder of their cap space to trade a 2nd round pick for Josh Smith straight up.

Bryant-Gasol-Smith as the Lakers Big 3.
Maybe Kobe's yelling at Smith will get him to stop taking those three point shots. Otherwise, Josh is an excellent player.

Kobe could deal with a difficult person in Metta, so he can deal with Josh.

LeBron 06
Smith has no IQ....This is a big problem

KrizMiz
06-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Smith > Griffin

deal with it

qrich
06-03-2014, 04:20 PM
If you put Josh Smith on the Clippers, Doc Rivers would quit 20 games in, Chris Paul would injure himself, DeAndre Jordan would be eating big macs and the team would win 30 games.

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Let's not pretend that Blake Griffin has a high basketball IQ. Chris Paul would turn Smith into a star. I am also not saying that the Clippers should trade for him because Blake Griffin obviously has a brighter future. I am just making a point.

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 04:27 PM
have you ever seen that nikka play at all??
Josh Smith has a better mid range game than Griffin and has 3pt range. He just has bad shot selection which good coaching can fix.

atljonesbro
06-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Lol. Josh Smith is one of the dumbest players to grace the NBA. He has no jump shot yet he decides to jack up 1000 jumpers a game. He doesn't even realize he's a poor mans LeBron.

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Lol. Josh Smith is one of the dumbest players to grace the NBA. He has no jump shot yet he decides to jack up 1000 jumpers a game. He doesn't even realize he's a poor mans LeBron.
He only jacks up shots because the Pistons have no floor spacing. Also Josh Smith is 10x the rebounder and shotblocker than LeBron ever will be.

atljonesbro
06-03-2014, 04:37 PM
He only jacks up shots because the Pistons have no floor spacing. Also Josh Smith is 10x the rebounder and shotblocker than LeBron ever will be.
He jacked up jumpers all day in Atlanta, it's not just Detroit. He'll never change. People have to live with it.

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 04:38 PM
He jacked up jumpers all day in Atlanta, it's not just Detroit. He'll never change. People have to live with it.
He shot 45-50% every year in Atlanta except for 2. What's the problem?

atljonesbro
06-03-2014, 04:39 PM
He shot 45-50% every year in Atlanta except for 2. What's the problem?
He should be shooting in the high 50s. His percentage around the basketball almost every year in Atlanta was 60+ yet he settles for long jumpers and isn't a good jump shooter.

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 04:41 PM
He should be shooting in the high 50s. His percentage around the basketball almost every year in Atlanta was 60+ yet he settles for long jumpers and isn't a good jump shooter.
bad shot selection=/= bad jumpshooter. Also with Doc as his coach and CP3 as his leader, I have no doubt he would put up better numbers than Blake Griffin.

atljonesbro
06-03-2014, 04:42 PM
bad shot selection=/= bad jumpshooter. Also with Doc as his coach and CP3 as his leader, I have no doubt he would put up better numbers than Blake Griffin.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-77jgaKeRtE8/Udjw9Qs-THI/AAAAAAAAABI/JDwD9jaigN0/s1600/Josh+Smith+shot+chart.jpg

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 04:44 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-77jgaKeRtE8/Udjw9Qs-THI/AAAAAAAAABI/JDwD9jaigN0/s1600/Josh+Smith+shot+chart.jpg
Doesn't show how many were contested. I bet if Blake Griffin shot off the dribble and in people's faces his numbers would be worse.

ihatetimthomas
06-03-2014, 06:04 PM
This is a simple comparison based solely on stats and not watching either player at all. If OP did, he would know what kind of impact each player makes on the court. There is a reason the Hawks let Smith walk with no resistance. He is a ball stopper, kills offensive flow, and he has very low bball IQ. He continually shoots long distance when he has no range. His coaches are partly to blame for allowing this but you would think being s athletically gifted that he would not shoot so far. The only thing he is consistent with is shooting poor shots.

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 06:06 PM
This is a simple comparison based solely on stats and not watching either player at all. If OP did, he would know what kind of impact each player makes on the court. There is a reason the Hawks let Smith walk with no resistance. He is a ball stopper, kills offensive flow, and he has very low bball IQ. He continually shoots long distance when he has no range. His coaches are partly to blame for allowing this but you would think being s athletically gifted that he would not shoot so far. The only thing he is consistent with is shooting poor shots.
I did watch the Hawks play, Smith was the catalyst on those 45+ win Hawks teams that made the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals year after year. If they had one more piece or a better coach, they would have gone further.

ihatetimthomas
06-03-2014, 06:14 PM
I did watch the Hawks play, Smith was the catalyst on those 45+ win Hawks teams that made the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals year after year. If they had one more piece or a better coach, they would have gone further.

Since when is a second round exit year after year something to brag about?

If they had another great player and a better coach, they go further? Can't you say that about almost every team other than the elite?

JohnMax
06-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Griffin is much stronger than Josh Smith. He was bullying Al Horford.

Legends66NBA7
06-03-2014, 06:24 PM

The ceiling of the Hawks has always been the 2nd round since moving to Atlanta.

:confusedshrug:

HurricaneKid
06-03-2014, 06:26 PM

Is there a stupid contest going on I wasn't informed of? Lots of idiotic threads today. Anyways, if so this cat gets a bye to the Finals.

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Griffin is much stronger than Josh Smith. He was bullying Al Horford.
Josh Smith has more handles, is a better passer, is a better shooter, and plays superior Defense. Your point?

Big Cheese
06-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Josh Smith has more handles, is a better passer, is a better shooter, and plays superior Defense. Your point?

now sure how say this when blake griffin averages more assists with a better Assist to TO ratio, while shooting a higher percentage from the field overall and from the perimeter with more field goal attempts.

Are you just pulling these claims out your ass?

ihatetimthomas
06-03-2014, 06:46 PM

If he is better than Blake griffin, why did the Hawks not try to keep him?

TheReal Kendall
06-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Josh Smith is the better all around/overall player but his IQ and shot selection hurts his teams. This could be due to not having a great coach and all-star PG though.

With that said I would still take Blake over him cause he's been improving each year. There's really not much difference between the 2.

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 06:47 PM
now sure how say this when blake griffin averages more assists with a better Assist to TO ratio, while shooting a higher percentage from the field overall and from the perimeter with more field goal attempts.

Are you just pulling these claims out your ass?
I watch Clippers, Hawks, and Pistons games, do you?

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 06:48 PM
If he is better than Blake griffin, why did the Hawks not try to keep him?
No good coaches wants to go to the Hawks and they wanted to save money.

atljonesbro
06-03-2014, 06:48 PM
I watch Clippers, Hawks, and Pistons games, do you?
You're pretty delusional and sound like a casual fan. Josh Smith is in no way better than Griffin :oldlol:

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 06:52 PM
You're pretty delusional and sound like a casual fan. Josh Smith is in no way better than Griffin :oldlol:
How? Blake Griffin is the poster boy for casual fans because he dunks a lot and plays in LA. Why would a casual fan like Josh Smith who plays in Detroit?

Aussie Dunker
06-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Josh Smith has a better mid range game than Griffin and has 3pt range. He just has bad shot selection which good coaching can fix.

Well, atleast Smith seems to think he does....

In all honesty Smith has much better defense than Griff - more active hands and a much more capable shot blocker.

He probably passes just as well as Griff (only when he feels like it)

Outside of that Griff is better at every other facet of the game

atljonesbro
06-03-2014, 06:55 PM
How? Blake Griffin is the poster boy for casual fans because he dunks a lot and plays in LA. Why would a casual fan like Josh Smith who plays in Detroit?
Good coaching isn't gonna turn that 30% jumpshot rate to 45%. Josh Smith is just too stupid to ever maximize his potential. I watched Smith every year he was a Hawk, the guy will never take the next step regardless of the situation. He literally gets boo'd every time he would shoot a jumper in Atlanta yet keeps shooting. He's an AWFUL jumpshooter yet he will continue you shoot them. He was shooting 7 3s a game early in the year.

Blake Griffin on the other hand put in a ton of work to his game and had a phenomenal year, one Smith will never be able to match because lack of basketball IQ.

Fiddlesticks
Well, atleast Smith seems to think he does....

In all honesty Smith has much better defense than Griff - more active hands and a much more capable shot blocker.

He probably passes just as well as Griff (only when he feels like it)

Outside of that Griff is better at every other facet of the game
The other facets are enhanced because he plays with CP3.

ihatetimthomas
No good coaches wants to go to the Hawks and they wanted to save money.

That is no justification if he is so much better than Blake griffin. Anyone considered better than griff would be top priority to re-sign especially for a team where no one wants to play

atljonesbro
06-03-2014, 06:56 PM
The other facets are enhanced because he plays with CP3.
How was CP3 enhancing Griffin during that crazy stretch he had when CP3 went down :facepalm

Fiddlesticks
06-03-2014, 06:57 PM
How was CP3 enhancing Griffin during that crazy stretch he had when CP3 went down :facepalm
shut up, you're wrong, I'm right! Stop being mean to me!

stalkerforlife
06-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Top 5 worst thread I have seen here, merely because the OP seems to truly believe himself.

IMO.

ralph_i_el
06-03-2014, 10:13 PM

none of this is true. Smith is better at taking bad shots and not making them though:applause:

Griffin is much more explosive and strong. Better finisher and post player. Slightly better handle. Way better shot selection. Smith has been on plenty of different lineups and has shown the same bad habits

Duggrr
06-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Griffin obviously has a huge advantage being on this Clippers team, but J. Smith still wouldn't be on the same level. Though, he'd potentially be a top 6 or so PF.

hawksdogsbraves
06-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Smith is not a good player. He could have been a top 15 player in the league, but he's a complete moron and refused to be coached up.

If he'd ever had a competent coaching staff around him he could have turned out much differently, but he's beyond help now. Total knucklehead.

Freak athlete, great defense, really underrated passer, he really was the total package. I really think he could have averaged something like 18/12/4apg/3bpg on 55% shooting and played all-NBA defense, but he'd rather slack off and shoot jumpers and not give a ****.

Al Thornton
06-04-2014, 01:00 AM
jesus christ

VIntageNOvel
06-04-2014, 01:34 AM
Westbrook
Monta
Rudy Gay
Josh Smith
Mcgee

you see the resemblance?

b0bab0i
06-04-2014, 02:05 AM
Doesn't show how many were contested. I bet if Blake Griffin shot off the dribble and in people's faces his numbers would be worse.
Blake is not dumb enough to do this.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-04-2014, 02:09 AM
Smith is not a good player. He could have been a top 15 player in the league, but he's a complete moron and refused to be coached up.

If he'd ever had a competent coaching staff around him he could have turned out much differently, but he's beyond help now. Total knucklehead.

Freak athlete, great defense, really underrated passer, he really was the total package. I really think he could have averaged something like 18/12/4apg/3bpg on 55% shooting and played all-NBA defense, but he'd rather slack off and shoot jumpers and not give a ****.

He's like that stereotype from Dude Perfect. "Dude you are 6'6'', stop shooting threes." People like those at my local gym literally make me want to :cry:

bdreason
06-04-2014, 02:25 AM
Blake Griffin is what Josh Smith should be.

Meticode
06-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Josh Smith is just wasting his talent away when his shot selection. He is so exceptional within 15 feet of the basket. His best season EVER in the NBA is the season he shot pretty much no threes at all. It was only his second season in his career he shot over 50% from the field overall. Everyone is like, "Damn, he's really taken a step-forward." so what does he do after this great successful NBA season? He goes back to jacking up threes and making 30% of them if that.

And now he's overpaid with an unmovable contract to the point the Pistons have to let Monroe go because Drummond, Monroe and Smith can't play on the floor at the same time and be successful, so they have to eat Smith's $14 million for at least the next couple of years before anyone's touching that contract in a trade.

masonanddixon
06-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Josh Smith is seriously garbage. He doesn't make your team better.

Doesn't have the skillset of a power forward and isn't agile enough to be a reliable small forward.

3/4 tweeners are the most worthless players.

ihatetimthomas
06-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Josh Smith is just wasting his talent away when his shot selection. He is so exceptional within 15 feet of the basket. His best season EVER in the NBA is the season he shot pretty much no threes at all. It was only his second season in his career he shot over 50% from the field overall. Everyone is like, "Damn, he's really taken a step-forward." so what does he do after this great successful NBA season? He goes back to jacking up threes and making 30% of them if that.

And now he's overpaid with an unmovable contract to the point the Pistons have to let Monroe go because Drummond, Monroe and Smith can't play on the floor at the same time and be successful, so they have to eat Smith's $14 million for at least the next couple of years before anyone's touching that contract in a trade.

Pretty much exactly this. I remember that year he shot barely any 3's. Woodsen made it a point to not allow him to shoot and it ended up being his best year. The guy has such low IQ its a shame to see such talent wasted. So athletically gifted. Solid and versatile player who could have been a great 2 way player.

He has the worst contract in the biz since Amare was signed. No one is touching that contract and Pistons were really dumb to give it to him.

Fiddlesticks
06-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Pretty much exactly this. I remember that year he shot barely any 3's. Woodsen made it a point to not allow him to shoot and it ended up being his best year. The guy has such low IQ its a shame to see such talent wasted. So athletically gifted. Solid and versatile player who could have been a great 2 way player.

He has the worst contract in the biz since Amare was signed. No one is touching that contract and Pistons were really dumb to give it to him.
One bad year does not make the contract bad. Lots of teams would love to have a guy as good as Josh Smith.

LoneyROY7
06-04-2014, 02:22 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

OP's basketball IQ is as low as Josh Smith's.

hawksdogsbraves
06-04-2014, 02:27 PM
One bad year does not make the contract bad. Lots of teams would love to have a guy as good as Josh Smith.

Not at $14mil/yr they wouldn't. Hence why the Pistons can't find anyone willing to take him in a trade.

roffie
06-04-2014, 02:30 PM
comparing griffin to josh smith.... i don't even..

no respect son.

griffin is not even close to his prime and has improved every aspect of his game since his rookie season

while josh smith continues to be trash

no pun intended
06-04-2014, 02:33 PM
wow we even have a josh smith stan in ish

Fiddlesticks
06-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Not at $14mil/yr they wouldn't. Hence why the Pistons can't find anyone willing to take him in a trade.
18/10/4 is worth 14mil, on the right team he would flourish.

LoneyROY7
06-04-2014, 02:54 PM
18/10/4 is worth 14mil, on the right team he would flourish.

Who's averaging 18/10/4? All I see is a wannabe shooting guard averaging 16/6/3 on sub 42 percent shooting.

SwishSquared
06-04-2014, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Nets trade KG's expiring for Smith straight-up. Pistons buy out KG and he either retires or heads to LAC with Pierce to sign vet. minimum deals. Nets are capped out next year anyway between Deron, Lopez, and Iso Joe, so little way to improve that roster. Plus, will Billy King go 1 summer without bringing in a player on an 8 figure salary? He's done it like 3 consecutive summers! SVG has said otherwise, but I doubt he wants to coach a team with Jennings + Smith on it next year.

Fiddlesticks
06-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Who's averaging 18/10/4? All I see is a wannabe shooting guard averaging 16/6/3 on sub 42 percent shooting.
He had a career low year across the board because of how little spacing the team had.

hawkfan
06-04-2014, 04:41 PM
hawkfan Trade Scenario (where amazing happens):

Detroit gets

Tyson Chandler (expirer)
Raymond Felton
JR Smith

Knicks get

Josh Smith
Jonas Jerebko (expirer)
top 18 protected first round pick (starting next year)

Let Phil Jackson coach him and then let's see what happens.

Jackson dealt with difficult personalities in Rodman and Artest.

Meticode
06-04-2014, 05:18 PM

I know. His best year in Atlanta I was like "Damn, he finally figured it out. Play near the basket." I thought he took a step forward, but no...he regressed back and thought it was a good idea to shoot threes 33% the next season, 26% the following season, 30%, 26, then this year with the Pistons at 30%.

Not only that, his freethrow shooting has utterly sucked. He used to shoot over 70% or at least hover around that. Now he shoots free throws in the 50%. So even though he's regressed as a player the last 2-3 years the Pistons offer him MORE money than what he was getting paid by the Hawks? :no:

All Net
06-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Stop smoking

Smith is nowhere near griffin's level.

Fiddlesticks
06-04-2014, 06:42 PM
If Blake Griffin had to play for the teams that I had to play for then he wouldn't be nearly as successful.