PDA

View Full Version : was michael jordan the greatest scorer ever?

mark henson 123
06-04-2014, 04:41 PM
wilt chamberlin avered 30 20 a game
tracy mcgrady average 30 a game
julis erving average 30a game

who was the best?:coleman:

inclinerator
06-04-2014, 04:42 PM
prime mark henson was better

-smak

mark henson 123
06-04-2014, 04:44 PM
I can crossover and go between the legs!:coleman:

Cocaine80s
06-04-2014, 04:45 PM
i think Durant can surpass him as a scorer

Jlamb47
06-04-2014, 04:56 PM
I believe so

NumberSix
06-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Wilt. No discussion.

GODbe
06-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Now, which one of them scored 81 points?

Which one outscored an entire team through 3 quarters? :confusedshrug:

Dengness9
06-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Greatest playoff scorer ever. No doubt.

Calabis
06-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Wilt. No discussion.

I agree with this....Jordan is one of the greatest scorers and the most consistent scorer on the perimeter, Kobe has the highest ceiling of any perimeter player, but lacks consistency to maintain it over a long period of time. KAJ maintained a high consistent level as well. Most overlooked dude is Karl Malone

Real14
06-04-2014, 06:08 PM
:biggums:

PickernRoller
06-04-2014, 06:09 PM
No Kobe at Peak was.

bizil
06-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Perimeter wise, I would say MJ for sure is. But overall Wilt I feel has to be the man then MJ and Kareem would follow. When I think dominant scorers, those are the first three I think of.

played0ut
06-04-2014, 06:33 PM
There are three to me.

-For numbers/stats? Wilt (relative to his peers. I've no doubt he'd still dominate today, but his number wouldnt be as high)

-Ease and efficiency? Shaq. I think he scored easiest with minimal energy used.

-Overall talent, BBIQ, and impact? MJ.

ArbitraryWater
06-04-2014, 06:36 PM
LeBron/MJ

Beastmode88
06-04-2014, 06:39 PM
LeBron/MJ

LePass is def not the greatest scorer ever. Probably KAJ with the skyhook, that shit was stupid accurate.

played0ut
06-04-2014, 06:43 PM
LeBron/MJ

nah, not Lebron. Greatest offensive facilitator you can argue maybe, but not scorer.

mark henson 123
06-04-2014, 06:47 PM
wilt chamberlin
tracy mcgrady
Michael jordan:coleman:

r0drig0lac
06-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Wilt
/thread

GODbe
06-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Can't believe how many people are saying MJ or Wilt :roll: :roll: :roll: . Typical stat nerds choice.

mark henson 123
06-04-2014, 06:53 PM
I grew up watching Jordan dominate!
he was the best,next to :coleman: w ilt and dr !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~primetime~
06-04-2014, 06:54 PM
was michael jordan the greatest scorer ever?

yes

Calabis
06-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Can't believe how many people are saying MJ or Wilt :roll: :roll: :roll: . Typical stat nerds choice.

Sure isn't that mfer in your avi :eek:

Lebronxrings
06-04-2014, 06:58 PM
carmelo Anthony

- real14

jstern
06-04-2014, 07:03 PM
There are three to me.

-For numbers/stats? Wilt (relative to his peers. I've no doubt he'd still dominate today, but his number wouldnt be as high)

-Ease and efficiency? Shaq. I think he scored easiest with minimal energy used.

-Overall talent, BBIQ, and impact? MJ.

I think this is a good way to look at it, because some scorers do fit certain specific categories, like Shaq.

I think Kobe is the most shameless scorer, so would have an 81 point game. Others can do it, they're just going to be some self consciousnesses about it.

David Robinson one night decided to score as many points as he could and scored over 70. Would that make him the 2nd and 3rd greatest scorer of all time? It was a shameless night.

La Frescobaldi
06-04-2014, 07:14 PM
lot of good names right in here.... if we are talking pure scoring, just most respectfully have to add the early days of Bob McAdoo to that mix.

dude was frantic good

took all the air out of the arena whole crowds watching him just standing silent in awe at that bruising spin, shake and bake down low.

Of course he had before-the-knee-blew Ernie D making plays for him too did not hurt.

Also our current day Kevin Durant can make it just rain down in sheets out there in OKC......................

http://www.mikeywalks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/rain2-e1312178959818.jpg

Ron Jeremy
06-04-2014, 07:38 PM
You tell me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrZO6HXxTyc

Paul George 24
06-04-2014, 08:13 PM
LeBron/MJ
lebron :wtf:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.mandatory.com/media/2013/02/michael-jordan-laughing.gif

BlkMambaGOAT
06-04-2014, 08:17 PM
lot of good names right in here.... if we are talking pure scoring, just most respectfully have to add the early days of Bob McAdoo to that mix.

dude was frantic good

took all the air out of the arena whole crowds watching him just standing silent in awe at that bruising spin, shake and bake down low.

Of course he had before-the-knee-blew Ernie D making plays for him too did not hurt.

Also our current day Kevin Durant can make it just rain down in sheets out there in OKC......................

http://www.mikeywalks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/rain2-e1312178959818.jpg
http://notsportscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Thunder-Spurs-Rocky-IV-2014-Western-Conference-Finals.gif

KD the guy who lost to team loaded with players in their mid to late 30's.

SamuraiSWISH
06-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Easily, specifically prime / peak MJ of '89 - '93.

He could give you the business with the jumper, mid range, post up, quick strike off the dribble, catch and shoot. Finish at the rim with power, athleticism, or grace. Give him the three and he'd knock it down.

Playoff Career: 34 ppg
Regular Season Career: 30 ppg (Dropped Big in 2002, and 2003)

Playoffs is obviously, given the competition, pressure, and focus of opposing defenses through multiple games is the most difficult climate to score. That number is significantly more important to me than absolutely anything else in regards to scoring prowess. The next best perimeter scorers I've seen since MJ left: Kobe, McGrady, LeBron, Melo, Wade and KD.

dubeta
06-04-2014, 08:26 PM
LeBron easily

How many perimeter players can average 27+ ppg and 57% shooting? That is Shaq-like numbers, while also shooting 38% from 3. Give LeBron Durant/MJ shot attempts and also FT's and LeBron is averaging 35+ ppg every season EASILY.

Greatest scorer ever :bowdown:

Carter_17
06-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Even Melo is a better scorer than M.J. Replace Melo with Jordan and make him play PF bulls win more. M.J is overrated because the era was weak. Still the best of late 80s- mid 90s , still he was a prodigy , still one of the most successfull NBA players , still a legend.

But ye players like Kobe, Le Bron , Anthony , TMac, have faced way more pressure, competition and much stronger teams. They played during the peak of the NBA in terms of publicity, competition and money. Jordan revived the NBA but he found it dead.

GODbe
06-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Even Melo is a better scorer than M.J. Replace Melo with Jordan and make him play PF bulls win more. M.J is overrated because the era was weak. Still the best of late 80s- mid 90s , still he was a prodigy , still one of the most successfull NBA players , still a legend.

But ye players like Kobe, Le Bron , Anthony , TMac, have faced way more pressure, competition and much stronger teams. They played during the peak of the NBA in terms of publicity, competition and money. Jordan revived the NBA but he found it dead.
Very well said:applause: . Future repped

poido123
06-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Mods need to delete these kind of threads.

It serves no purpose other than to have trolls spew utter shit.

To answer the OP, It's hard to really say.

I'd say Wilt, Kobe, and Jordan have a good case.

poido123
06-04-2014, 08:46 PM

School kids these days, just spew shit they no nothing about.

I bet you never watched 90's basketball.

Carter_17
06-04-2014, 08:47 PM
School kids these days, just spew shit they no nothing about.

I bet you never watched 90's basketball.

You have to be more careful with your bets son

atljonesbro
06-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Lol at people saying LeBron isn't a scorer yet call Kobe a scorer. Bron is the most efficient perimeter player in NBA history and still averages upward to 27-28 ppg.

poido123
06-04-2014, 08:54 PM
You have to be more careful with your bets son

Melo is a great pure scorer. I forgot to mention him too.

But seriously, Jordan averaged 37 a game back when he had the full offensive load of the team earlier in his career and in his prime he could bump over 40 if he was the sole offensive player.

What cats are putting those numbers up over a season?

Wilt definitely, Kobe could, Carmelo not sure hasn't come close.

So you see, I don't know where your argument is. Players that have actually scored well over an entire season, have more of an argument than a player that YOU ARE GUESSING could average a lot of points in the right situation.

Warfan
06-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Lol at people saying LeBron isn't a scorer yet call Kobe a scorer. Bron is the most efficient perimeter player in NBA history and still averages upward to 27-28 ppg.

Adrian dantley doe

poido123
06-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Plenty of efficient players who have played in the NBA. You could say Brandon Wright could be a great scorer since his FG% is above 60%? Or any other guy with an efficient percentage..

You make it sound easy to put up a lot of points?

Kobe was a very explosive scorer. He could rattle off 5 consecutive 40+ games in his prime, he was simply unstoppable offensively.

Lebron is good for a 40 point game every now and then. He doesn't have the scoring explosion that some of these other guys do.

:confusedshrug:

Calabis
06-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Adrian dantley doe

Is the Melo of his era, great pure scorer.

atljonesbro
06-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Plenty of efficient players who have played in the NBA. You could say Brandon Wright could be a great scorer since his FG% is above 60%? Or any other guy with an efficient percentage..

You make it sound easy to put up a lot of points?

Kobe was a very explosive scorer. He could rattle off 5 consecutive 40+ games in his prime, he was simply unstoppable offensively.

Lebron is good for a 40 point game every now and then. He doesn't have the scoring explosion that some of these other guys do.

:confusedshrug:
Why are you comparing Brandon Wright to LeBron... The guy never averaged over 10 ppg. His efficiency is so high because he has a MUCH smaller sample size than LeBron and plays a much different game. Brandon Wright doesn't create for himself which leads to easier baskets whereas LeBron often creates for himself to score. LeBron can easily average 35 a game with better efficiency than Kobe likely. Just a superior scorer.

Carter_17
06-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Melo is a great pure scorer. I forgot to mention him too.

But seriously, Jordan averaged 37 a game back when he had the full offensive load of the team earlier in his career and in his prime he could bump over 40 if he was the sole offensive player.

So you see, I don't know where your argument is. Players that have actually scored well over an entire season, have more of an argument than a player that YOU ARE GUESSING could average a lot of points in the right situation.

I will start with the bold letters. As much as I am guessing that player X would average the same or even more than M.J in the right situation , you are guessing the same amount about how good Jordan is compared to today's stars. Sure there are stats but stats alone can't prove that M.J>Le Bron because they played a different game. Different rules , different hours of practice ( NBA teams train 12 hours per day during playoffs nowadays. I doubt M.J was training that much for a big period of time) , more technology. You can check the salaries of 90-91 players here: http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/misc/salaries91.txt .
My point is that you cant compare stats from 20+ years ago because the league has the same name. More things are different from 90s NBA than the same in comparison with today's NBA

Roundball_Rock
06-04-2014, 09:07 PM

Kareem should be on the list. He averaged 35/17/5 on 57% in his highest scoring season (blocks were not counted then) and 35/18/4/4/2 on 61% in the 77' playoffs. :bowdown:

Carter_17
06-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Kareem should be on the list. He averaged 35/17/5 on 57% in his highest scoring season (blocks were not counted then) and 35/18/4/4/2 on 61% in the 77' playoffs. :bowdown:

vs 6.5 centers who practice couple of hours per day . What a scorer.

Calabis
06-04-2014, 09:08 PM

Lebron isn't a scorer, in the sense of a having a scorers mentality.

Its like Kobe fans bitching at a "complete package players list"...in his prime, he played defense and dropped 30/6/6....why isn't he on anyone's top all around players list like Lebron? Or Jordan 32/8/8?

Because Lebron, Bird, Oscar, Magic, Pippen are usually the names you see.

Warfan
06-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Is the Melo of his era, great pure scorer.

Definitely a great pure scorer. Except he was much more efficient and scored at a higher volume compared to melo.

poido123
06-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Why are you comparing Brandon Wright to LeBron... The guy never averaged over 10 ppg. His efficiency is so high because he has a MUCH smaller sample size than LeBron and plays a much different game. Brandon Wright doesn't create for himself which leads to easier baskets whereas LeBron often creates for himself to score. LeBron can easily average 35 a game with better efficiency than Kobe likely. Just a superior scorer.

Lebron doesn't have the handles or elite post game to score a lot of points.

The points he does get, he uses his size and strength to bulldoze his way to the hoop. That works for the most part, but when he has to break down a good defensive player off the dribble, he simply can't do it and passes the ball off or jacks up a shot.

I've seen guys like Butler, Kirelenko and George force lebron into passing or shooting by simply staying in front of him.

Now getting back to the efficiency side of things, Shaq averaged close to 60% efficiency, yet his best season was never over 30. You know why? Because it isn't easy to score like that over an entire season. You need to have the stamina and the full offensive load to be able to do that. You must be able to beat your opponent at will.

atljonesbro
06-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Lebron doesn't have the handles or elite post game to score a lot of points.

The points he does get, he uses his size and strength to bulldoze his way to the hoop. That works for the most part, but when he has to break down a good defensive player off the dribble, he simply can't do it and passes the ball off or jacks up a shot.

I've seen guys like Butler, Kirelenko and George force lebron into passing or shooting by simply staying in front of him.

Now getting back to the efficiency side of things, Shaq averaged close to 60% efficiency, yet his best season was never over 30. You know why? Because it isn't easy to score like that over an entire season. You need to have the stamina and the full offensive load to be able to do that. You must be able to beat your opponent at will.
He averages more points career wise than Kobe yet you call him a scorer? FAR superior efficiency as well.

He could easily sacrifice his efficiency to jack up more shots and score 35 ppg and still have better efficiency than Kobe. Don't be delusional.

diamenz
06-04-2014, 09:14 PM

oh lord. :facepalm

threads like these really separate the men from the boys, don't they?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-04-2014, 09:14 PM
If you value postseason play (including the Finals), the correct answer is either Kareem or MJ.

I'd roll with Mike because of his finals play, but to each his own.

Calabis
06-04-2014, 09:17 PM
I will start with the bold letters. As much as I am guessing that player X would average the same or even more than M.J in the right situation , you are guessing the same amount about how good Jordan is compared to today's stars. Sure there are stats but stats alone can't prove that M.J>Le Bron because they played a different game. Different rules , different hours of practice ( NBA teams train 12 hours per day during playoffs nowadays. I doubt M.J was training that much for a big period of time) , more technology. You can check the salaries of 90-91 players here: http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/misc/salaries91.txt .
My point is that you cant compare stats from 20+ years ago because the league has the same name. More things are different from 90s NBA than the same in comparison with today's NBA

:facepalm

Except we have proof of Jordan dropping 40 on some of todays era at 40. Hell Kidd played and started in this league just last year and is a shell of himself....Kobe is still dropping 25 plus, well past his prime with busted knees....wtf makes you think a prime Jordan would struggle with todays bs perimeter rules. GTFOH with your nonsense....you and the rest of these "this era" shit is getting old.

Calabis
06-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Definitely a great pure scorer. Except he was much more efficient and scored at a higher volume compared to melo.

No arguing there, just think their impact on a basketball game is very similar. They scored in different ways.

Calabis
06-04-2014, 09:22 PM
He averages more points career wise than Kobe yet you call him a scorer? FAR superior efficiency as well.

He could easily sacrifice his efficiency to jack up more shots and score 35 ppg and still have better efficiency than Kobe. Don't be delusional.

Bingo this is exactly why he is not known as a scorer, please listen to yourself sir.

Round Mound
06-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Among SGs By Far The Best Scorer. Among Perimeter Players Top 5 (Dantley, Gervin, B. King, English, Bird and as of today Durant and Lebron to name a few). The GOAT Inside Scorers are Shaq, Barkley, Wilt & Kareem. K. Malone deserves a mention but his FG% Dropped Big Time In The Play-Offs. Great Scorers Score Alot At High FG% Efficiency Per Shot Taken.

atljonesbro
06-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Bingo this is exactly why he is not known as a scorer, please listen to yourself sir.
Then Kobe isn't a scorer.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Among SGs By Far The Best Scorer. Among Perimeter Players Top 5 (Dantley, Gervin, B. King, English, Bird and as of today Durant and Lebron to name a few). The GOAT Inside Scorers are Shaq, Barkley, Wilt & Kareem. K. Malone deserves a mention but his FG% Dropped Big Time In The Play-Offs. Great Scorers Score Alot At High FG% Efficiency Per Shot Taken.

Where's Mike brah? :coleman:

Calabis
06-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Then Kobe isn't a scorer.

Kobe wants to score everytime the ball gets in his hands...please this cannot be this difficult for you to understand. U just said if Lebron wanted to, he could jack up more shots to 35ppg right? Why doesn't he then? Because its not in his DNA, he is about getting everyone involved and scoring when that opportunity presents itself.

No one in there right mind would call Lebron a scorer.

Round Mound
06-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Where's Mike brah? :coleman:

[B]I Included Him In The Top 5 or so. I Was Just Naming Some Great Scorers Aswell.

Mullin In His Prime Was The Best Shooter I

Carter_17
06-04-2014, 09:35 PM

Except we have proof of Jordan dropping 40 on some of todays era at 40. Hell Kidd played and started in this league just last year and is a shell of himself....Kobe is still dropping 25 plus, well past his prime with busted knees....wtf makes you think a prime Jordan would struggle with todays bs perimeter rules. GTFOH with your nonsense....you and the rest of these "this era" shit is getting old.

today's era? Only jefferson plays from that nets team and he is in his last years. Today's era is LeBron, Wade, Durant, Melo, Iving, Anthony Davis, Curry , Shitbrook.

poido123
06-04-2014, 09:38 PM
today's era? Only jefferson plays from that nets team and he is in his last years. Today's era is LeBron, Wade, Durant, Melo, Iving, Anthony Davis, Curry , Shitbrook.

You're clearly reaching for excuses.

don't come back.

atljonesbro
06-04-2014, 09:40 PM

Kobe wants to score everytime the ball gets in his hands...please this cannot be this difficult for you to understand. U just said if Lebron wanted to, he could jack up more shots to 35ppg right? Why doesn't he then? Because its not in his DNA, he is about getting everyone involved and scoring when that opportunity presents itself.

No one in there right mind would call Lebron a scorer.
Then the "non-scorer" is a better "scorer" than the "scorer" :oldlol: Your logic is so dumb. Why can't LeBron fall under every category? He's to great of a scorer to not be considered a scorer.

livinglegend
06-04-2014, 09:40 PM
no, Wilt and Kareem were clearly better.
Wilt was the greatest and it s not even close. The guy scored 50 ppg for the whole season.
The only reason why his ppg dropped was because his coaches asked him to play the facilitator role more.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Wilt was the greatest and it s not even close. The guy scored 50 ppg for the whole season.
The only reason why his ppg dropped was because his coaches asked him to play the facilitator role more.

Even if that were the case, its about results, not 'what if' or excuses. Given their longevity, Kareem and Mike simply produced more than anyone else in the playoffs.

poido123
06-04-2014, 09:48 PM

Sometimes it comes down to the style of play, your opponents and the right situation.

Give prime Jordan or Kobe a spot in that era carrying the entire offensive load and you would see a similar feat.

However that is a whatif. Wilt on paper is a superior scorer to anyone.

livinglegend
06-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Even if that were the case, its about results, not 'what if' or excuses. Given their longevity, Kareem and Mike simply produced more than anyone else in the playoffs.

Wilt did something that nobody ever came close to, he scored 50 ppg for a whole season. That was the greatest display of scoring by far by a player. He also has almost the scoring records. He proved that he could score better than anyone else. These are actual facts, not ''what if''.

deja vu
06-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Is it time to pull out Wilt's choking resume? Or his 23 ppg playoffs average and 18 ppg Finals average?

livinglegend
06-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Sometimes it comes down to the style of play, your opponents and the right situation.

Give prime Jordan or Kobe a spot in that era carrying the entire offensive load and you would see a similar feat.

However that is a whatif. Wilt on paper is a superior scorer to anyone.

I think all players should be judged on what actually happened in reality. Those time travelling situations make things way too complicated.

Carter_17
06-04-2014, 10:03 PM
I think all players should be judged on what actually happened in reality. Those time travelling situations make things way too complicated.

I agree. M.J dominated a league with 11 milion salary cap . Thats the reality , thats what happend. This league has nothing to do with today's league.

deja vu
06-04-2014, 10:07 PM
I agree. M.J dominated a league with 11 milion salary cap . Thats the reality , thats what happend. This league has nothing to do with today's league.
11 million in the 90s is like 55 million nowadays.

La Frescobaldi
06-04-2014, 10:27 PM
http://notsportscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Thunder-Spurs-Rocky-IV-2014-Western-Conference-Finals.gif

KD the guy who lost to team loaded with players in their mid to late 30's.

absolutely. We're just talking about guys that put the ball in the hoop at the highest levels ever seen.

We ain't talking about the whole fact of what a basketball player is.

Durant has got a real long way to go to be in the talks, as far as whole package, with the names of this Ish-thread.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Wilt did something that nobody ever came close to, he scored 50 ppg for a whole season. That was the greatest display of scoring by far by a player. He also has almost the scoring records. He proved that he could score better than anyone else. These are actual facts, not ''what if''.

My comment was directed at your PPG "dropoff" bit. Wilt is one of the greatest regular scorers ever. If not the greatest.

He was NOT that caliber of scorer in the postseason however.

La Frescobaldi
06-04-2014, 10:42 PM
My comment was directed at your PPG "dropoff" bit. Wilt is one of the greatest regular scorers ever. If not the greatest.

He was NOT that caliber of scorer in the postseason however.

Actually when he was the #1 option on his teams, he was.

People look at whole career stats and say 'see? thus and so, he was a dolt'

But that's beyond flawed when you examine a guy who went through 3 distinct stages - #1 option, #3 option, and #5 or not an option at all (when he was a defensive center on the Lakers).

1959-60 33.2 / 25/ 2
1960-61 37.0 / 23/ 2
1961-62 35.0 / 26/3
1963-64 34.7 /25/3
1964-65 29.3 / 27/4
1965-66 28.0 / 30 / 3

Check out the very next year:
1966-67 21.7 / 29 / 9
1967-68 23.7 / 24.7 / 6.5

Do you really think he just fell off like that.... right in his greatest years as a player?
How come he suddenly went down 8 points a game? Was he sick the whole playoffs?
He just missed the most monstrous triple double you ever saw in your entire life - AND THAT'S TOTAL PLAYOFFS AVERAGE THAT YEAR - by just 1 assist per game!!

Not only that but if you've played some ball you know how much energy it takes to rebound...... and those are the greatest rebounding numbers ever seen.

Nah, he scored at will but always based on what the coach was calling for; he always stayed within the team strategy.
Sharman told him flat out that he was gonna play like Bill Russell for the Lakers and he did such a great job that Russell himself said Chamberlain was better than he was at his own game.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Actually when he was the #1 option on his teams, he was.

People look at whole career stats and say 'see? thus and so, he was a dolt'

But that's beyond flawed when you examine a guy who went through 3 distinct stages - #1 option, #3 option, and #5 or not an option at all (when he was a defensive center on the Lakers).

1959-60 33.2 / 25/ 2
1960-61 37.0 / 23/ 2
1961-62 35.0 / 26/3
1963-64 34.7 /25/3
1964-65 29.3 / 27/4
1965-66 28.0 / 30 / 3

Check out the very next year:
1966-67 21.7 / 29 / 9
1967-68 23.7 / 24.7 / 6.5

Do you really think he just fell off like that.... right in his greatest years as a player?
How come he suddenly went down 8 points a game? Was he sick the whole playoffs?
He just missed the most monstrous triple double you ever saw in your entire life - AND THAT'S TOTAL PLAYOFFS AVERAGE THAT YEAR - by just 1 assist per game!!

Not only that but if you've played some ball you know how much energy it takes to rebound...... and those are the greatest rebounding numbers ever seen.

Nah, he scored at will but always based on what the coach was calling for; he always stayed within the team strategy.
Sharman told him flat out that he was gonna play like Bill Russell for the Lakers and he did such a great job that Russell himself said Chamberlain was better than he was at his own game.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but his FG% took a noticable hit too. Same with his FT%, which was truly abysmal (51% career in the RS and 46% in the playoffs). Was that by design?

Nobody said Wilt wasn't an elite rebounder, defender or that he didn't play the all-around game. We're just talking about scoring here... something Jordan did better than Wilt, statistically, in the postseason.

LAZERUSS
06-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Is it time to pull out Wilt's choking resume? Or his 23 ppg playoffs average and 18 ppg Finals average?

Only ONE of which came in his "scoring prime."

BTW, please provide me with the stats of Wilt's OPPOSING CENTERS in his playoff series and Finals. We BOTH KNOW that he just crushed players like Russell and Thurmond, and even an old Wilt battled KAJ to a draw in one playoff series, and then held him to a worthless shot-jacker in their other H2H.

And how about Wilt's "choking" post-season resume in MUST WIN GAMES:

12-11 W-L
31.1 ppg
26.4 rpg
.540 FG% (in leagues that shot an eFG% of about .435.)

And how about a "scoring Wilt" in his MUST WIN playoff games...

6-6 (and 3-4 against RUSSELL) W-L
37.3 ppg
27.6 rpg
.521 FG% (in post-seasons that shot exactly .417 in that same span)

BTW, his opposing centers averaged 16.5 ppg in those 12 games.

Overall, FOUR 50+ point games (THREE of which came in MUST WIN games and one of those against RUSSELL...and BTW, give me a list of the other players who 50+ point playoff games in MUST WIN SITUATIONS.)

12 40+ point games, with another in a MUST WIN game against Russell, and still another, on one leg, and in a FINALS.

Of course Chamberlain slaughtered his opposing centers in every facet of the game in his playoffs. In his six "choking" Finals (again, only one in his scoring prime), he outscored his opposing centers, outrebounded them by a huge margin (and never outrebounded in any of 29 post-seasons by an opposing center), and outshot them from the field by a collective .559 to .439 margin.

Give me YOUR list of GOAT centers who accomplished all of the above...

GimmeThat
06-05-2014, 12:20 AM
in terms of pick up basketball

Jordan is probably the guy you want on your team if you don't know anyone
Kobe is probably the guy you'd love to be friends with if you didn't care about losing a game or two.

Jr Smith is definitely the guy who comes a few hours late with fresh legs while you are all just dead tired and goes on a scoring binge.

sekachu
06-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Now, which one of them scored 81 points?

Which one outscored an entire team through 3 quarters? :confusedshrug:

10 times scoring title >>>>> 81

signing out

LeBird
06-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Probably between Wilt, Jordan and Kareem.

LAZERUSS
06-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Probably between Wilt, Jordan and Kareem.

You nailed it.