PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Van Gundy ruined Vassilis Spanoulis' career.

3LiftHeatCurse
06-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Yes, I know this is usually Euroleague's "schtick", he always posts about euro basketball.

But I was looking into this topic. There might be something to it.

First off, Jeff Van Gundy was on record saying that "young players are dangerous for coaches in a contract year"...... so Spanoulis was NEVER given a shot by JVG, simply based on the fact he was a rookie.

Secondly, Spanoulis was given little to no role on the team, and very little playing time with the Rockets due to JVG. And when Spanoulis actually saw the court, JVG did not let him do much.

Look at this footage of Spanoulis when he was on the Rockets for that only year he was in the NBA :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JqiaYG-TVk

Then.... here we have T-Mac in a recent interview actually acknowledging the fact that Spanoulis had talent and was never given a real shot because of Jeff Van Gundy.

T-Mac Interview on Spanoulis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UujXKTWGodU

You see, Pat Riley is the same way. He never liked young players. As a long time Heat fan, I know that Riley liked experienced vets more than anything, no matter how old they are. And Jeff Van Gundy is a Pat Riley disciple, so he thinks the same way.

Perhaps, Vassilis Spanoulis could have been a legit NBA starter if he stayed in the NBA and waited for Jeff van Gundy to get fired or quit.

Smook A.
06-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Who cares. And besides, Vassilis Shitoulis has always been a scrub. When he was given a chance to play in garbage time, he didn't do crap. Its his fault, not JVG.

3LiftHeatCurse
06-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Who cares. And besides, Vassilis Shitoulis has always been a scrub. When he was given a chance to play in garbage time, he didn't do crap. Its his fault, not JVG.
look at this though

outbreak
06-04-2014, 06:10 PM
If he had gone to a different situation I believe he would have fit in far better and had a solid NBA career but you can't blame a coach like that. V-span had numerous opportunities to prove his talent but he chose to sulk and argue with the coaching staff instead. From what I have heard he went into it expecting big minutes (rightly or wrongly) and was upset when he didn't get the role he was used to in Europe. If he had of stuck with it and had a positive attitude he could of worked through it and risen to a role that suited him more but he didn't do that. He was put in a situation where he had to prove himself and he chose not to.

GeeWiz
06-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Plenty of rookies in the league have to wait and use what little time they have to show what they are made of to gain more playing time, its EARNT not given, I don't see how it should be any different for this guy.

Euroleague
06-04-2014, 06:20 PM
If he had gone to a different situation I believe he would have fit in far better and had a solid NBA career but you can't blame a coach like that. V-span had numerous opportunities to prove his talent but he chose to sulk and argue with the coaching staff instead. From what I have heard he went into it expecting big minutes (rightly or wrongly) and was upset when he didn't get the role he was used to in Europe. If he had of stuck with it and had a positive attitude he could of worked through it and risen to a role that suited him more but he didn't do that. He was put in a situation where he had to prove himself and he chose not to.

FALSE.

Van Gundy told him he was never going to play him because he was making a point to the Rockets management never to go against his wishes in player selections.

Van Gundy wanted Mike James. The Rockets wanted Spanoulis instead. So Van Gundy told Spanoulis he was never going to play him to make a point to the Rockets management to show them who was in charge.

So none of what you are saying is true. It's just imaginary bullshit.

outbreak
06-04-2014, 06:23 PM
FALSE.

Van Gundy told him he was never going to play him because he was making a point to the Rockets management never to go against his wishes in player selections.

Van Gundy wanted Mike James. The Rockets wanted Spanoulis instead. So Van Gundy told Spanoulis he was never going to play him to make a point to the Rockets management to show them who was in charge.

It must have been amazing for you to be within earshot to hear all these private conversations you claim took place, did you work closely with the rockets organization at that point? How'd you get access to their front office?

Every time he stepped on to the court he looked like shit and looked like he didn't want to be there.Why would JVG give him more minutes when he was playing like that? There were reports at the time that he was arguing with the coaching staff and not participating in practice. Actual stories by actual writers that were actually published in the real world.

I agree with you that he is talented and he could be a legit player in the NBA but I don't agree with the other bullshit you spout defending him with conspiracy theories.

3LiftHeatCurse
06-04-2014, 06:25 PM
FALSE.

Yes. Tracy McGrady confirms this and says Spanoulis was never given a chance because of Jeff van gundy.

Here is the interview, go to 0:30 mark in the video :

McGrady says "He didn't really get the opportunity to play. He was in Jeff Van Gundy's dog house, but the guy had talent, he was a very good player"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UujXKTWGodU

3LiftHeatCurse
06-04-2014, 06:26 PM
It must have been amazing for you to be within earshot to hear all these private conversations you claim took place, did you work closely with the rockets organization at that point? How'd you get access to their front office?

Every time he stepped on to the court he looked like shit and looked like he didn't want to be there.Why would JVG give him more minutes when he was playing like that? There were reports at the time that he was arguing with the coaching staff and not participating in practice. Actual stories by actual writers that were actually published in the real world.

I agree with you that he is talented and he could be a legit player in the NBA but I don't agree with the other bullshit you spout defending him with conspiracy theories.

How can you say he looked like shit?

This is footage from his Rockets days. He looks good here. And remember, this is him playing for JVG, who clearly does not want to help him.

Euroleague
06-04-2014, 06:46 PM

You are the one who is full of shit. And whenever this comes up, you start posting this nonsense immediately. For all I know you are JVG himself.

Everything you post is BS.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe there is reason why Van Gundy was immediately fired after that season and has never been hired by an NBA team since?

Let's see here......

1. Rockets fire Van Gundy.

2. Rockets ask Spanoulis to stay

3. Rockets hire Adelman.

4. Adelman asks Spanoulis to stay.

5. Spanoulis is so pissed off at the lies the Rockets told him, he leaves to Greece.

6. Rockets trade Spanoulis to Spurs.

7. Popovich and Parker ask Spanoulis to stay with the Spurs.

8. Spanoulis says he wants to stay in Greece, because he was so mad at how the Rockets treated him.

9. Since then, every year, numerous NBA teams and Euroleague teams offer Spanoulis big contracts.

10. Since then, Van Gundy has never coached in the NBA again, and actually, according to all accounts, never actually has even been offered a contract by an NBA team. Just the occasional rumor that an NBA team is, "interested in him" (probably started by his agent)........

And you, with your great powers of deduction, come up with that to mean that Van Gundy is the one that acted right in benching Spanoulis, and Spanoulis is the one that acted wrong in being pissed about it.

In being pissed about being benched behind Luther Head, who subsequently has been cut from D-League teams, cut from the worst team in the Spanish League, and cut from the worst team in the Greek League....

Pissed about being benched behind John Lucas III, who subsequently has been cut from mid level and low level teams in the Italian League, even a team in the 2nd Division in Italy....

All the while when Spanoulis was THE BEST PLAYER IN ALL OF EUROPE....

Yeah, why the hell would Spanoulis be pissed about being benched behind guys like that? Freaking Luther Head was cut by the WORST team in the Spanish League and the WORST team in the Greek League. Lucas III was cut by a team in the 2nd Division of Italy, like Italy's D-League, and Spanoulis is the best player in Europe, and he should not be pissed about Van Gundy benching him for guys like that?

Oh yeah, but the fact that year after year, NBA and Euroleague teams offer Spanoulis big contracts, and Van Gundy has never coached since his ass got fired right after he benched Spanoulis tells you nothing?

The fact that Adelman said he looked at game tape after the Rockets hired him and was baffled as to why Spanoulis was not starting tells you nothing? That Popovich wrote a letter and had Parker hand deliver it to Spanoulis in Athens, asking Spanoulis to come to the Spurs tells you nothing?

No? So JVG knows better than Adelman and Popovich, and you know better than them too then?

dgaras
06-04-2014, 08:59 PM
euroleague youre so full of shit. youre the reason everyone here hates spanoulis. all us can admit that he was a really good player and could have averaged at least 15ppg if given the opportunity but we hate him because we hate you. you are the reason nobody takes spanoulis seriously here. you destroyed his legacy by yourself :roll: :roll:

that is the funniest thing ive ever realized. a poster destroyed a players career on a forum by himself. it only took 10 years of constant posting :roll: :roll:

gts
06-04-2014, 09:20 PM
euroleague youre so full of shit. youre the reason everyone here hates spanoulis. all us can admit that he was a really good player and could have averaged at least 15ppg if given the opportunity but we hate him because we hate you. you are the reason nobody takes spanoulis seriously here. you destroyed his legacy by yourself :roll: :roll:

that is the funniest thing ive ever realized. a poster destroyed a players career on a forum by himself. it only took 10 years of constant posting :roll: :roll:

You come off as a very weak minded person..

jzek
06-04-2014, 09:22 PM
That Memphis coach also ruined JC Navarro's NBA career. :rant

dgaras
06-04-2014, 09:30 PM
You come off as a very weak minded person..

you come off as a loser as i know you dating to when you first joined. youre immature. are you past 50 yet? i forgot.

hows that daughter of yours doing?

KungFuJoe
06-04-2014, 09:58 PM
I think I could beat spanoulis one on one. Was the video footage of him slowed down on purpose or just bad transfer from Betamax?

deja vu
06-04-2014, 10:00 PM
JVG gave him some time to impress him but Span blew it big time. Like shooting below 40% from the field and turning the ball over numerous times. He was atrocious. Could have been a solid contributor to a Yao and TMac contender team but he never panned out.

gts
06-04-2014, 10:02 PM
hows that daughter of yours doing?She's doing great.. thanks for asking

tommy3
06-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Ya'll hate on Euroleague but let's not act like Spanoulis wouldn't be an above average player, sixth man of the year candidate or something if he was given significant playing time

deja vu
06-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Ya'll hate on Euroleague but let's not act like Spanoulis wouldn't be an above average player, sixth man of the year candidate or something if he was given significant playing time
More like a bench player. He's nowhere near as good as Navarro for example.

BasedTom
06-04-2014, 10:24 PM
This was the greatest thing Jeff Van Gundy ever did in his life.

dgaras
06-04-2014, 10:35 PM
She's doing great.. thanks for asking

good. then keep your stupid opinions to yourself. i think youre getting a bit senile these past few years

HOoopCityJones
06-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Only faggits five star their own thread.

Leftimage
06-04-2014, 10:43 PM

Euroleague (the poster) has actually defined how I view Euroleague b-ball, since I am not familiar with it. How I view the Euroleague: Small time, insecure, desperate, out of touch with reality...

I'm sure in real life it's actually much better. Just goes to show how important it is to have a good spokesperson, not a bad one like Euroleague.

outbreak
06-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Euroleague (the poster) has actually defined how I view Euroleague b-ball, since I am not familiar with it. How I view the Euroleague: Small time, insecure, desperate, out of touch with reality...

I'm sure in real life it's actually much better. Just goes to show how important it is to have a good spokesperson, not a bad one like Euroleague.

I watched a bit of the final four this season on espn, the quality of ball was good but man the lighting was weird. It was dark anywhere off the court and dim on the court, dark to the point where if the ball or a player stepped out of bounds you could barely see them in the shadow. The stadium looked pretty empty as well.

gts
06-05-2014, 01:37 AM
I watched a bit of the final four this season on espn, the quality of ball was good but man the lighting was weird. It was dark anywhere off the court and dim on the court, dark to the point where if the ball or a player stepped out of bounds you could barely see them in the shadow. The stadium looked pretty empty as well.I've noticed that too, not just during the big games.. I think they light for the crowd's enjoyment and not TV production...

Euroleague
06-05-2014, 04:07 AM
I watched a bit of the final four this season on espn, the quality of ball was good but man the lighting was weird. It was dark anywhere off the court and dim on the court, dark to the point where if the ball or a player stepped out of bounds you could barely see them in the shadow. The stadium looked pretty empty as well.

It's called theater lighting. They have rules in Europe that you light the arena for the in game crowd, not for the TV production.

In case you didn't notice, the TV commercials are during halftime.

Euroleague
06-05-2014, 04:11 AM
More like a bench player. He's nowhere near as good as Navarro for example.

Navarro one time led his team to a Euroleague title as the leader of the team and best player. That was with a SUPER TEAM.

Spanoulis did it THREE TIMES.

Spanoulis also did it TWICE when he was 50% of the whole team, and all the other players and coaches combined were the rest (LeBron on the Cavs style).

PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE.

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Just about every coach in Europe in recent years said Spanoulis was the best Euroleague player they ever have seen. On the Spanish League forums even most of the Barca fans were saying Spanoulis did more with Olympiacos in a couple years than Navarro did with Barca in his whole career when this topic came up recently.

And both the head coach and Presidetn of Barca (Navarro's team) both said repeatedly this summer that they tried to sign Spanoulis to be the star and leader of their team, and that Navarro would take a backseat to him.

So yeah, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

And you are probably also one of those retarded NBA only fans that does not even know how freaking damn good Navarro even is either. You are probably one of these moron NBA only fans that thinks "Navarro would have been at best a 6th man in the NBA".

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Smook A.
06-05-2014, 04:11 AM
It's called theater lighting. They have rules in Europe that you light the arena for the in game crowd, not for the TV production.

You remember this retarded post you made in 2005?

http://i.imgur.com/zE4Z2Pf.png

dgaras
06-05-2014, 04:17 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

JohnFreeman
06-05-2014, 04:18 AM

:biggums:

Euroleague
06-05-2014, 04:19 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

He's trolling. Or have you not seen their little troll jerk off thread?

Smook A.
06-05-2014, 04:19 AM
:biggums:
Check this thread out http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316678

Euroleague has been EXPOSED. He's been trolling on different forums for 10+ years

Smook A.
06-05-2014, 04:21 AM
He's trolling. Or have you not seen their little troll jerk off thread?
How am I trolling? You said Rudy Fernandez and V-Span were gonna be the next Manu and Parker :lol

You've been trolling since 2003, Ming_7_6

Oly BC
06-05-2014, 05:44 AM
Alpha males needn't prove nothing to no one. :coleman:

Oly BC
06-05-2014, 05:48 AM
That Memphis coach also ruined JC Navarro's NBA career. :rant
This is a better way to put it. Their "NBA carreers".

Both Navarro and Spanoulis (especially Spanoulis but I might be biased) are miles and miles ahead of people like Calderon, Rubio and other guards who have been solid starters in the NBA.

They also both have received large contracts and fan idolation in their teams. It's not like they went back to the ghetto or anything.

Oly BC
06-05-2014, 05:51 AM
The lighting was like that only for the finals. The stadium was full but it was mostly full with Maccabi fans, outnumbering others by a very large margin and I think the organisation tried to keep appearances neutral which was a mistake to say the least.

Oly BC
06-05-2014, 05:54 AM

It was only lighted like that in the finals.

I don't know if generally lighting rules are different in Europe than in the NBA but certainly lighting was different in the final 4, it was very noticable.
First time it was like that as well.

Euroleague
06-05-2014, 06:00 AM
This is a better way to put it. Their "NBA carreers".

Both Navarro and Spanoulis (especially Spanoulis but I might be biased) are miles and miles ahead of people like Calderon, Rubio and other guards who have been solid starters in the NBA.

They also both have received large contracts and fan idolation in their teams. It's not like they went back to the ghetto or anything.

Oly, would you please explain to these clowns here that Patrick Beverley was the 3rd string point guard for Olympiacos.

I have said this here over and over and these NBA only fans keep calling me a liar. people like gabepizza and Dr.J.4ever just make up all kinds of lies and say it isn't true.

IT IS TRUE.

He's a starting NBA point guard for a Western Conference playoff team, was voted in the 2nd all defense NBA team, and he was the THIRD string point guard in Olympiacos (Spanoulis' team).

These clown NBA only fans refuse to accept things like this when I tell them, and they just claim I am "lying".

Please confirm it, so maybe some of these morons will start to grasp how absurd some of this stuff here really is, and how ridiculous these Houston Rockets fan comments here truly are.

This Smook A guy is absolutely absurd.

The starting point guard of the Rockets, the team he is a fan of, was THIRD STRING on Olympiacos, and this freaking CLOWN has the audacity to claim that Van Gundy didn't purposely sabotage Spanoulis.

Freaking idiots like this think Beverely was "the MVP in Euroleague".

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Oly BC
06-05-2014, 06:03 AM
Oly, would you please explain to these clowns here that Patrick Beverley was the 3rd string point guard for Olympiacos.

Who? I'm sorry, I don't remember every scrub that warmed our bench.

Euroleague
06-05-2014, 06:17 AM
It was only lighted like that in the finals.

I don't if generally lighting rules are different in Europe than in the NBA but certianly lighting was different in the final 4, it was very noticable.
First time it was like that as well.

NBA and Euroleague have much different rules for lighting. if you would notice, even Euroleague/Eurocup and most of the national leagues have much different rules for lighting.

For example, if you would notice, that national league games tend to be much lighter and Euroleague/Eurocup games much darker.

Also, that teams that play in arenas that are in Euroleague/Eurocup they are VERY dark during night games in national league usually as compared to other smaller arenas. That's because they are not allowed to have any light at all other than artificial, and so they can't use their other light sources they might have.

The normal rules are for Euroleague/Eurocup that the arena is way, way darker than in NBA, and most of the light is over the court, and in general these are much darker than national leagues, which are just under FIBA Europe regulations.

Think of it this way, like at SEF, the window coverings will be open in Greek League, and always closed in Euroleague.

As for the final four, yes they added a new kind of lighting called theater lighting, like when you are at a movie theater.

It's actually a new rule passed by the Euroleague. It's in their by-laws and regulations. They just used it for the first time at the final four, but it's a new regulation.

So as far as I know, every team has to have it in their for next season. It was on Euroleague's website, listed under 2014-15 new rules and regulations.

All the arenas have to have a mid court overhead scoreboard with screens, and then lighting running underneath it, and along the court. They just lift this up or down, and switch the screens and lights out and move it all around at any time. It's not a permanent one like NBA style, it's like a concert style. And then the lights in the stands are dimmed.

That's supposed to be the new regulation for 2014-15. It said on the Euroleague website that it was already reviewed and passed by the ECA shareholder's and so that will be the rule for next season.

If you will remember, Milano's arena didn't have a mid court scoreboard with screens before the final four. Then all of a sudden they had that big concert display with four screens and the theater lighting, like you see at a stage concert, or theater play or whatever hanging from below it.

So that's what it is. Then they just line up the lights along the court like in a couple of tiers, then dim the lights in the stands. So it's like you are in a movie theater.

Like I said, they already had the rules where it was way darker than in NBA or even national leagues, and now it's just going a step further. Supposedly they did a real expensive and big marketing study on it and it was the best way to experience the game if you are at the game.

So that's why they are doing it. Like we already talked about, NBA is for TV, because it's all commercials (ads on TV), Euroleague is about the games in the arena, (money is made through sponsors on the jerseys and the clubs, and the people that want to go in the arena). And not like in NBA where most of the tickets sold during the year are corporate sells and not fan sells.

So it makes sense, to Euroleague they want the best possible in-game experience, while NBA is always pushing this nonsense BS about who is in the crowd at the game, or kiss cam, or whatever else stupid crap like that.

Euroleague
06-05-2014, 06:23 AM
Who? I'm sorry, I don't remember every scrub that warmed our bench.

The Houston Rockets starting point guard. The one that was just voted into the all NBA 2nd defense team.

The ones that Rockets fans like this Smook A clown claim is a good NBA player, while Spanoulis is "a mega scrub that could not even make an NBA roster".

The same Patrick Beverley that was the 12th man of Olympiacos.

THIS GUY --->

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=001927&seasoncode=E2009

The same guy that most of the NBA only fans in this forum claim was the Euroleague MVP, and that if you go to the Houston Rockets fan forum website here,

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9

They ALL claim there that Beverely was the Euroleague MVP.

AirFederer
06-05-2014, 07:05 AM
If his body wasn`t so hairy he might have a NBA future

ILLsmak
06-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Euroleague is the only poster on this site who I read every post he makes. I get e-mail alerts.

-Smak

Iceman#44
06-05-2014, 10:53 AM
VASSILIS SPANOULIS CAREER STATS

NATIONAL LEAGUE
1999-00 - Larissa - 6.9 ppg in 13 games, .478 FG%
2000-01 - Larissa - 8.2 ppg in 26 games, .439 FG%
2001-02 - Maroussi - 4.9 ppg in 12 games, .489 FG%
2002-03 - Maroussi - 10.3 ppg in 29 games, .422 FG%
2003-04 - Maroussi - 11.1 ppg in 33 games, .456 FG%
2004-05 - Maroussi - 15.9 ppg in 35 games, .421 FG%
2005-06 - Panathinaikos - 11.0 ppg in 34 games, .446 FG%
2006-07 - Houston (NBA) - 2.7 ppg in 31 games, .319 FG%
2007-08 - Panathinaikos - 12.1 ppg in 36 games, .480 FG%
2008-09 - Panathinaikos - 10.2 ppg in 30 games, .455 FG%
2009-10 - Panathinaikos - 10.1 ppg in 31 games, .557 FG%
2010-11 - Olympiacos - 10.6 ppg in 30 games, .402 FG%
2011-12 - Olympiacos - 11.7 ppg in 31 games, .417 FG%
2012-13 - Olympiacos - 11.4 ppg in 33 games, .394 FG%

Career High 15.9 ppg on .421?? WTF

Even more...I think Euroleague MVP is really a JOKE...Spanoulis won 2012-13 Mvp Award scoring 14.7 ppg in 31 games while shooting 141/355, .397 FG%!!!

And EUROLEAGUE says TOP 3 in THE WORLD!!:biggums: