PDA

View Full Version : Why did the Knicks extend JR Smith when they could have gotten OJ Mayo?

Fiddlesticks
06-04-2014, 09:23 PM
They make similar money and OJ Mayo is a much more consistent player. On a good team he could have probably averaged around 15-18ppg.

NoGunzJustSkillz
06-04-2014, 09:24 PM
lol at mayo being more consistent

Fiddlesticks
06-04-2014, 09:27 PM
lol at mayo being more consistent
maybe not last season because he was stuck on the Bucks but overall career wise, he is much more consistent. He is also younger!

Rocketswin2013
06-04-2014, 09:29 PM
http://content.clearchannel.com/cc-common/mlib/589/03/589_1395834478.png

Trentknicks
06-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Knicks could only re-sign JR because they had his bird rights. Plus a hot JR (when he shows up) is better than any version of Mayo.

Fiddlesticks
06-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Injuries lead to that sometimes, he'll be fine going forward

Boarder Patrol
06-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Knicks could go over the cap and offer JR the bird-rights exception, couldn't go over the cap to get another team's UFA.

Learn the salary cap before making dumb threads.

Fiddlesticks
06-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Knicks could go over the cap and offer JR the bird-rights exception, couldn't go over the cap to get another team's UFA.

Learn the salary cap before making dumb threads.
doesn't matter, this is an agenda thread. bottom line is OJ Mayo>JR Smith:banana:

lbj4kb8
06-04-2014, 10:02 PM

He doesn't look like in the best of shape. No definition in his arms, beard probably hiding his double chin. If he's out of shape, I'd question his work ethics.

ralph_i_el
06-04-2014, 10:20 PM
They make similar money and OJ Mayo is a much more consistent player. On a good team he could have probably averaged around 15-18ppg.

constantly getting fatter and worse at basketball since he was a rook:applause:

Fiddlesticks
06-04-2014, 10:24 PM
constantly getting fatter and worse at basketball since he was a rook:applause:
still been better than JR every year except for 1.

SwishSquared
06-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Knicks' biggest problem was giving him 3 guaranteed years on his deal. Yikes. Dude's fallen off hard since he elbowed Terry in playoffs last season. I know he had knee surgery, but he's just collecting checks now.

MellowYellow
06-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Knicks' biggest problem was giving him 3 guaranteed years on his deal. Yikes. Dude's fallen off hard since he elbowed Terry in playoffs last season. I know he had knee surgery, but he's just collecting checks now.
Factually incorrect, since the asg he avg 16.6/4/3 on 45/40/74. It is painfully obvious that the only reason he was so bad was due to coming off knee surgery.

ralph_i_el
06-04-2014, 11:45 PM
still been better than JR every year except for 1.

:facepalm That's just not true and honestly unarguable.

fun fact-OJ has never put up a league average PER and underpreforms in the areas PER doesn't measure. He's a bust. I hate JR Smith but he's been way better than OJ

SwishSquared
06-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Factually incorrect, since the asg he avg 16.6/4/3 on 45/40/74. It is painfully obvious that the only reason he was so bad was due to coming off knee surgery.
Did you watch the playoffs last season? He disappeared after getting disciplined.

Yes, post ASG he put up nice stats. Could be attributed to his knee surgery, as I mentioned. Some controversy regarding his knee surgery, IIRC too. He put up best numbers at end of season (April, specifically), so you could consider them empty stats in a way by that time. Shot well on spot-ups, wasn't great in Iso, which comprised second largest portion of his possessions. On Isos, he shot 32.9% from field and 21.2% from downtown. Was bad in transition and had low foul rate in transition. All these bad #s may have been dragged down by him recovering, but we can't 100% conclude that. Defensively he was meh, which can be expected from him. He also did dumb stuff like un-tying shoes, which is just bone-headed imo. His trade value is pretty bad now, which is why I said Knicks giving him up to 3 guaranteed years could be an issue.You can put up stats and be detrimental to a team, no? Put it this way- he makes less than $1.5M less than Affalo. Who would you rather have?

el gringos
06-05-2014, 12:22 AM
Ok mayo will back up Jr once trades start

Sanders, illyasova, Zaza, ok, and a 2nd
For
Hardaway jr, amare, Felton, 1st

MellowYellow
06-05-2014, 01:50 AM
Did you watch the playoffs last season? He disappeared after getting disciplined.

Yes, post ASG he put up nice stats. Could be attributed to his knee surgery, as I mentioned. Some controversy regarding his knee surgery, IIRC too. He put up best numbers at end of season (April, specifically), so you could consider them empty stats in a way by that time. Shot well on spot-ups, wasn't great in Iso, which comprised second largest portion of his possessions. On Isos, he shot 32.9% from field and 21.2% from downtown. Was bad in transition and had low foul rate in transition. All these bad #s may have been dragged down by him recovering, but we can't 100% conclude that. Defensively he was meh, which can be expected from him. He also did dumb stuff like un-tying shoes, which is just bone-headed imo. His trade value is pretty bad now, which is why I said Knicks giving him up to 3 guaranteed years could be an issue.You can put up stats and be detrimental to a team, no? Put it this way- he makes less than $1.5M less than Affalo. Who would you rather have?

Hey im not tryin to argue JR is a good player, just it sounded like you are saying he is a keep getting dem checks type player ala Shane Battier or something. He is still a useful player that can do some good things, specifically in the regular season. Obviously Afflalo is better, but the fact is the Knicks couldn't have done anything anyways with the money they would have saved not signing JR. They had his bird rights. So that makes this thread pointless.

ProfessorMurder
06-05-2014, 01:52 AM
OJ sucks more than JR sucks.

GimmeThat
06-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Because if you want OJ Mayo on your team, you better have an athletic 4 coming off the bench who can get you rebound so your team has a more complete game.

With Jr Smith, you can just play him with another average 3, or have your starting center run with the second unit.

Smook A.
06-05-2014, 02:43 AM
Gotta feel bad for the guy. He joined a team called Milwaukee Sucks

http://i.imgur.com/Lm189uA.jpg

hawkfan
06-05-2014, 06:33 AM
Mentally, he clearly wasn't there last year in Milwaukee.

hawkfan Trade Scenario (where amazing happens):

Bucks get

George Hill

Pacers get

OJ Mayo

Mayo gets out of Indy, gets back into shape and comes to the Pacers as a reserve combo guard.

Bucks get Hill, who becomes a reserve combo guard.

uber
06-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Ok mayo will back up Jr once trades start

Sanders, illyasova, Zaza, ok, and a 2nd
For
Hardaway jr, amare, Felton, 1st

what are you smoking?

bagelred
06-05-2014, 07:42 AM

Well if you knew anything about the CBA, you know that what you wrote here is wrong. They couldn't get Mayo. No cap space. They could resign JR to that contract because they had his Early Bird rights.

Close thread.

SwishSquared
06-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Hey im not tryin to argue JR is a good player, just it sounded like you are saying he is a keep getting dem checks type player ala Shane Battier or something. He is still a useful player that can do some good things, specifically in the regular season. Obviously Afflalo is better, but the fact is the Knicks couldn't have done anything anyways with the money they would have saved not signing JR. They had his bird rights. So that makes this thread pointless.
:cheers:
I agree that the thread is not great and I know the Knicks had their hands tied with Smith (limited financial flexibility and a need for secondary scoring). I just felt he got overpaid in terms of annual salary & years- that's why I brought up Affalo. Smith was great last regular season, but he gave them so little post-"Terry elbow" incident. This season he improved as his knee got stronger like you said, but I just wouldn't want him on my team with up to 2 more guaranteed years. If last year was non-guaranteed team option, I'd feel it'd be better for Knicks (plus it'd make him essentially an expiring contract this summer). They'd have more cap space next summer that way (could re-sign him for less $ per year potentially) and then could potentially use stretch provision on Felton to open up even more cap space (would open up ~$3M more by using this on Felton). Anyway, did he really have many suitors after he collapsed in the playoffs last year? I'm sure Knicks could have still gotten him had they only offered 2 guaranteed seasons.

He at times exhibits a "keep gettin' dem checks" kind of attitude imo towards the game. That's in a way his career- immensely talented, flashes great production, and then does something head-scratching. Regarding Battier, he's just about done man. I understand your point, but Smith is in prime and Battier's retiring in a couple weeks. He can only give you so much when he's on his last legs.

D-FENS
06-05-2014, 12:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/437026441943732224/jAH4YdlQ_400x400.jpeg