PDA

View Full Version : Kristaps Porzingis... why are more people not talking about this kid in the draft.

russwest0
06-05-2014, 01:49 AM
http://i4.apollo.lv/img_thumbs/22_d814c/201308/777/422405.jpg

This kid is the next Andrei Kirilenko.

For physical tools He's 7'0, apparently has a huge wingspan (probably 7'5 +) and big hands.

He's already an excellent shot blocker, great at help defense, and very capable at guarding wing players on the perimeter. Obviously he needs to add weight to his frame if he wants to guard NBA level centers, but once he does that you have a utility defender who can guard 2-5... He's young (only 18) and still has plenty of time to fill out his frame for that.

On offense he's already a capable outside shooter from deep and has solid shot mechanics with a quick, efficient release... Plus he has solid athleticism and a good vertical, paired with his long arms = great alley oop target. So he can essentially be a good PnR big or space the floor on offense.

I don't understand why he isn't getting hyped more. Reports are had he stayed and declared next year he would have went in the top 10. People are speculating that he received a draft promise from the Thunder this year and that is why he chose to declare. With his potential it's possible he goes ahead of them but I'm assuming he would be refusing to workout with other teams if he is declaring this year with the intention to go to OKC.

Cocaine80s
06-05-2014, 01:51 AM
no one knows who the **** he is.

probably trash anyways

russwest0
06-05-2014, 01:56 AM
no one knows who the **** he is.

probably trash anyways

yeah, and no one knew who Giannis Antetokounmpo was a year ago either.

the **** does that have to do with him as a prospect.

Cocaine80s
06-05-2014, 01:58 AM
yeah, and no one knew who Giannis Antetokounmpo was a year ago either.

the **** does that have to do with him as a prospect.
so from what i just checked on google, he averaged 6 pts and 3 reb... and he'll most likely be playing behind durant and perry jones.... the future is not bright with this one

russwest0
06-05-2014, 02:01 AM
so from what i just checked on google, he averaged 6 pts and 3 reb... and he'll most likely be playing behind durant and perry jones.... the future is not bright with this one

lmao, he played in a professional league (at just 17 years old last year) getting less than 15MPG.

Prospects from overseas NEVER have good stats. I'm sure if you per 40'd his stats they'd be like 14/7/3 or something.

Im Still Ballin
06-05-2014, 02:01 AM
Because you're talking about him.

R.I.P.
06-05-2014, 02:03 AM
I

russwest0
06-05-2014, 02:05 AM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]I

Cocaine80s
06-05-2014, 02:07 AM
hopefully the thunder draft him so Miami has a better chance of drafting an nba caliber player like Adrien Payne

russwest0
06-05-2014, 02:59 AM
hopefully the thunder draft him so Miami has a better chance of drafting an nba caliber player like Adrien Payne

:facepalm

do you just spew random bullshit?

payne will be gone before the Heat pick.

el gringos
06-05-2014, 03:59 AM
when you watch him on film he plays just like a small forward right now. crazy for his size.

the whole idea is that once he gets on an NBA level training program that he'll fill out his frame more while keeping his athleticism and as long as he keeps developing his offensive game overseas for one or two years, he'll be be one hell of a two way player down the line
In no way is a a sf. He is a skinny pf though. Maybe that's what "plays like a sf" means?

East_Stone_Ya
06-05-2014, 04:29 AM
mods delete this thread

Wavves
06-05-2014, 04:38 AM
Funny that you bring up stats, your boy Lavine averaged like 3 points on 20 percent shooting in the tournament :oldlol:

Wavves
06-05-2014, 04:42 AM
Anyways, I really like the kid as a prospect.

Intriguing skillset, and already impressive physical tools that will onlt get better.

If I were the Thunder though, I would select a guy who can come in and produce straight away with that 21st pick. Would he last until the 29th?

russwest0
06-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Anyways, I really like the kid as a prospect.

Intriguing skillset, and already impressive physical tools that will onlt get better.

If I were the Thunder though, I would select a guy who can come in and produce straight away with that 21st pick. Would he last until the 29th?

I don't see any way he lasts until the 29th. It's looking like he might not even last until 21.

And the problem with the 21st pick is not many players that low are able to produce right away, especially for a contender. I'm all on board with OKC taking him there.

drbelkin
06-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Take a look at DraftExpress scouting video here http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kristaps-Porzingis-7119/#ooid=NzOWh2bTo8BholQGuYNYlI6fBKhbzfSM

Against Real Madrid http://youtu.be/niY9vib-vF8

Ratnik
06-06-2014, 07:03 AM
Kirilenko lookin azz nikka

Maga_1
06-06-2014, 08:15 PM
He plays nothing like Kirilenko :lol
What a tool the OP is :roll:

Cocaine80s
06-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Funny that you bring up stats, your boy Lavine averaged like 3 points on 20 percent shooting in the tournament :oldlol:
u dont want these hands bruh

chocolatethunder
06-06-2014, 08:39 PM
I'm not saying anything one way or the other about this kid but if you knew how basketball worked in Europe, then you would know that 6pts and 3rbs doesn't mean anything (especially bad) about a seventeen year old.

tgan3
06-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Because he has a harder to pronounce name than vaseline spanoilus

SwishSquared
06-07-2014, 12:09 AM
I read somebody compared him to Vessley when he was this young, so maybe people are being careful. Maybe several teams have him on their radar are hesitant to publicize their interest? Idk honestly. If he pans out, wow, what a good piece to have going forward.

Maga_1
06-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Vesely, Kirilenko... what's next? :oldlol:

sick_brah07
06-07-2014, 12:22 AM
his very skinny and young, being in a foreign country and not knowing anyone makes it very hard to succeed

Maga_1
06-07-2014, 12:25 AM
his very skinny and young, being in a foreign country and not knowing anyone makes it very hard to succeed

He's out of his home country already :lol

el gringos
06-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Why should more people be talking? Do you like these people who just read the draft sites and watch youtube highlights? Very few if any have seen him play. I think you might be right that he could be undervalued but we really don't need more people like the kid who is all over Levine based on a YouTube clip. You know he didn't watch games to decide lavine was a future all star.

I like your thread though and hope it brings out a few posters that may have more info than the draft express bio and video. He is on my list of hopefully Knick draft picks (with all the stories surrounding Phil's desire to obtain multiple picks.

Porzingis
Nick Johnson
Patrick young or Dwight Powell

Perfect draft night for any team - legendary night for a team that has no picks now

sick_brah07
06-07-2014, 01:14 AM
He's out of his home country already :lol

yeh you are right actually, my mistake

my assumptions in general on euros going to the NBA is tough as the "potential tag" is a lot shorter for euros

Rake2204
05-06-2015, 10:59 AM
Any updated thoughts on Porzingis? I've read the Pistons traveled abroad to see both he and Mario Hezonja play recently. Knowing so little about Kristaps, his slight frame, lack of any kind of back to the basket game, youth, and questionable defensive ability (in large part due to his frame) make me ask questions from the outset.

I saw someone mention Jan Vesely earlier. Is their any chance it's that kind of situation? A tall guy who can run and dunk well but may not have all the abilities to make things work in the long run? Or is his shot more reliable and whatnot?

Im Still Ballin
05-06-2015, 11:15 AM
He's my 2nd pick if WCS gets picked before the King's pick

Him and Demarcus is a serious scoring frontcourt... Versatile... long and sizey. Porzingis isn't amazing on defense but he is mobile and has length so there is potential. On the otherhand WCS would TREMENDOUSLY help our defense and I think he can fit with Demarcus on the offense... Play him similar to Blake and Deandre... Demarcus is skilled enough to play the 4 on offense or operate from different positions on the court on offense to allow WCS to be in the right positions. Demarcus operates alot out of the high post anyways, he is a great driver to the basket from that far out... Blake and Deandre have really begun to shine because Blake has become SO much more versatile and skilled... I just love watching him continuously setting screens playing with that pick and pop, pick and roll game... Clippers offense is really beautiful if you ask me. Blake doing his thing with screens and JJ reddick running and weaving through multiple people and hitting catch and shoots. If only Matt Barnes was replaced with a higher quality 3 and D guy like Middleton or Demarre Carrol... Kings need to look at the Clippers and try to copy the mould

BlackWhiteGreen
05-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Any updated thoughts on Porzingis? I've read the Pistons traveled abroad to see both he and Mario Hezonja play recently. Knowing so little about Kristaps, his slight frame, lack of any kind of back to the basket game, youth, and questionable defensive ability (in large part due to his frame) make me ask questions from the outset.

I saw someone mention Jan Vesely earlier. Is their any chance it's that kind of situation? A tall guy who can run and dunk well but may not have all the abilities to make things work in the long run? Or is his shot more reliable and whatnot?

Most of what I've read is he'll go top 10-12

Nastradamus
05-06-2015, 01:01 PM
He's likely gone by 6 at the latest. I'd love him in Detroit next to Drummond. He kind of has a game that's half AK, half Dirk.

outbreak
05-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Ive mentioned him as a possible choice for orlando if we pick 5 or 6, someone here said he is slow though but reports I've read think he will be a solid nba defender. I think he will have to show a lot in work outs to climb

el gringos
05-06-2015, 04:43 PM
2-6

SwishSquared
05-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Ive mentioned him as a possible choice for orlando if we pick 5 or 6, someone here said he is slow though but reports I've read think he will be a solid nba defender. I think he will have to show a lot in work outs to climbWouldn't surprise me at all. In an (I think Zach Lowe) article it said that the Magic front office is trying to build a floor-spacing frontcourt that allows driving lanes for Payton/Dipo. His lack of strength is a problem, but apparently he's mobile enough to cover a good amount of ground in defending PnRs.

Euroleague
05-06-2015, 05:43 PM
There is always a built in bias against European players in the USA. This is a basic fact.

Anyway, Porzingis is very talented and skilled for his size, and his athletic level is really high for his size also, but he's also uber soft.

Euroleague
05-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Vesely, Kirilenko... what's next? :oldlol:

Remember I told you that almost no one in this forum from US has ever in their life seen a game in European basketball and they just lie about it when they say they have? But you argued with me and say why would they all lie about that?

Are you convinced yet after all this time and all these crazy kind of comments here?

Rake2204
05-06-2015, 05:52 PM
He's likely gone by 6 at the latest. I'd love him in Detroit next to Drummond. He kind of has a game that's half AK, half Dirk.Yeah, he wasn't even on my radar until today. I'd been completely overlooking him because he hadn't shown up in any Pistons mocks (I think usually predicted to be gone by then).

I didn't get a big Andrei Kirilenko feel from him though, aside from his looks and build (let alone Dirk Nowitzki). I remember Kirilenko being a non-stop motor guy who loved defense (or played as if he did). From what I've heard about Porzingis so far, he's big enough to be a good defender and he's athletic, but all the skills and mind speed, so to speak, aren't really there yet; also apparently dislikes contact and is relatively soft - two things I never really thought of Andrei.

Euroleague
05-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Yeah, he wasn't even on my radar until today. I'd been completely overlooking him because he hadn't shown up in any Pistons mocks (I think usually predicted to be gone by then).

I didn't get a big Andrei Kirilenko feel from him though, aside from his looks and build (let alone Dirk Nowitzki). I remember Kirilenko being a non-stop motor guy who loved defense (or played as if he did). From what I've heard about Porzingis so far, he's big enough to be a good defender and he's athletic, but all the skills and mind speed, so to speak, aren't really there yet; also apparently dislikes contact and is relatively soft - two things I never really thought of Andrei.

Porzingis is absolutely nothing like Kirilenko at all. And Kirilenko does not have a very good motor either. So not sure where he got that reputation from. Kirilenko takes off quarters and halves all the time during games, and hell, he takes off whole stretches of seasons all the time. Kirilenko has a very poor motor. He can only play effectively in stretches.

Rooster
05-06-2015, 06:05 PM

I don't think he's worth a lottery pick, probably late first round but the Queens will probably take the chance to compliment Cousins. He is not a banger, just a softie with length and good motor and likes to play outside and stroke it and a little bit of a handle. He can also play off the ball with some cutting and slashing. I don't think he can create his own shot .