PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait to see Marcus Smart bully every PG in the league

JohnMax
06-05-2014, 03:33 AM
At 6'4 227 lb, he is the strongest PG in NBA history.

JohnFreeman
06-05-2014, 03:34 AM
Has there ever been a PG to come out and dominate?

Inferno
06-05-2014, 03:35 AM

:coleman:

JohnFreeman
06-05-2014, 03:36 AM
:coleman:
Who has come out of the draft and dominated veteran PGs?

JohnMax
06-05-2014, 03:37 AM

http://media.oregonlive.com/blazers_impact/photo/13131041-large.jpg

Fudge
06-05-2014, 03:40 AM
That fcuking pizza face? Hell no. Guy's a wannabe Russell Westbrook.

Phony.

Inferno
06-05-2014, 03:41 AM

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/ap-usa-basketball.jpg

Is that Smart on the left?

SexSymbol
06-05-2014, 03:41 AM
So we're measuring strength by weight now?
How much does he deadlifts or benchpresses at least

JohnMax
06-05-2014, 03:44 AM
Is that Smart on the left?

Marcus Smart the only college player invited to Team USA mini-camp (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/07/16/marcus-smart-the-only-college-player-invited-to-team-usa-mini-camp/2522939/)

Inferno
06-05-2014, 03:54 AM
Marcus Smart the only college player invited to Team USA mini-camp (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/07/16/marcus-smart-the-only-college-player-invited-to-team-usa-mini-camp/2522939/)

Ah, thanks.

russwest0
06-05-2014, 03:56 AM
marcus smart literally looks like russell westbrooks fatass brother

Smook A.
06-05-2014, 04:05 AM
http://i.imgur.com/8AzdlY2.jpg

RoundMoundOfReb
06-05-2014, 04:06 AM
Does he even lift?

BlazerRed
06-05-2014, 04:13 AM
Westbrook >

russwest0
06-05-2014, 04:13 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Allen_Iverson_headshot.jpg/387px-Allen_Iverson_headshot.jpg

bro what are you, 12?

john freeman exposed.

BlazerRed
06-05-2014, 04:14 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

nevetslc88
06-05-2014, 07:09 AM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2fr2lfZaw1qcmnsoo1_500.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2fsuzb3QP1qcmnsoo1_r1_500.gif

IrishIggy
06-05-2014, 07:12 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2fr2lfZaw1qcmnsoo1_500.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2fsuzb3QP1qcmnsoo1_r1_500.gif

This.

AintNoSunshine
06-05-2014, 07:24 AM

Magic Johnson rung a bell?

JohnFreeman
06-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Magic Johnson rung a bell?
I actually mean't recently but I forgot to write it

navy
06-05-2014, 07:29 AM
He cant even bully college kids...

lilteapot
06-05-2014, 07:33 AM
He cant even bully college kids...
he's real good at bullying fans though

chocolatethunder
06-05-2014, 08:35 AM
The only problem is that he can't shoot and he's too slow to get around them. He's not a great passer either but yeah, he's gonna bully them for sure.

Calabis
06-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Is Smart handle even good enough to run the NBA point?

nathanjizzle
06-05-2014, 09:38 AM

d rose. do you even watch basketball outside of lebron.

JohnFreeman
06-05-2014, 09:41 AM
d rose. do you even watch basketball outside of lebron.
16.8 ppg is hardly dominating

Milbuck
06-05-2014, 09:43 AM
I cannot understand why he's so highly ranked. Yeah, he's a bulldozer of a point guard, we all know that. But his handles are nothing exceptional, his jumper is bad, he doesn't have elite vision/playmaking for his position, he looked pretty slow for a top PG prospect in his draft workout...if his hype is all about his ability to "bully" people, he's in for a rough time in the NBA. He can be great because from all indication he has a great work ethic, but the hype, I don't see why.

He looks like he wants to be great, but I just don't see why he should be picked over Gordon or Vonleh. Both those guys have physical tools and upside that Smart just doesn't. Gordon especially impressed at the draft workout...dude looks like he's already developed a decent jumper, and he's got years to work on it.

nathanjizzle
06-05-2014, 09:45 AM
16.8 ppg is hardly dominating

36 points and 11 assists against rondo in the playoffs is dominating.

Bob Dole
06-05-2014, 09:51 AM
I cannot understand why he's so highly ranked. Yeah, he's a bulldozer of a point guard, we all know that. But his handles are nothing exceptional, his jumper is bad, he doesn't have elite vision/playmaking for his position, he looked pretty slow for a top PG prospect in his draft workout...if his hype is all about his ability to "bully" people, he's in for a rough time in the NBA. He can be great because from all indication he has a great work ethic, but the hype, I don't see why.

He looks like he wants to be great, but I just don't see why he should be picked over Gordon or Vonleh. Both those guys have physical tools and upside that Smart just doesn't. Gordon especially impressed at the draft workout...dude looks like he's already developed a decent jumper, and he's got years to work on it.

You're an idiot. Smart is going to average 17, 5, 5 his rookie year. just wait on it.

D-FENS
06-05-2014, 09:51 AM

He's got the killer instinct and greatness within. You can see it -he lives basketball.

Shooting and handles can only improve, his form is not bad on his jumper.

He will be an elite defender eventually, and his ability to finish inside will one day be elite as well. He can be expected to shoot about 8 free throws a game at some stage. He's not a Westbrook level athlete, but he's still a damn fine athlete.

chocolatethunder
06-05-2014, 10:22 AM
He's got the killer instinct and greatness within. You can see it -he lives basketball.

He will be an elite defender eventually, and his ability to finish inside will one day be elite as well. He can be expected to shoot about 8 free throws a game at some stage. He's not a Westbrook level athlete, but he's still a damn fine athlete.
While I agree that he works hard and will be a good defender, I want to touch on something that you said. Smart stayed in college to improve but the only problem is that he didn't improve. He was pretty much the same player he was his freshman year and in college, that's considered regressing. He doesn't have PG skills. He's more of a scorer than a passer that's for sure. He actually said that he stayed in school to work on his PG skills but they did not improve. His team, a team led by him, underperformed this year. Handles and jumper don't always improve. There are a million guys with a great work ethic who were never able to make improvements shooting. The dude shoots under 45% as a guard in college, how much better will he be in the league where the game is ten times faster? All that bully stuff doesn't really matter when you can't shoot and you're not fast enough to get by your man.

GimmeThat
06-05-2014, 10:26 AM
If someone could tell me why some of the strongest modern point guards, who can post up, and actually defend the 2 position, have all had to be legitimate 3 point shooters, contested and none contested.

I don't know what you win, but you know.

Food for thoughts, food for thoughts.

Jailblazers7
06-05-2014, 10:27 AM
On offense, I could see Smart being a less gifted version of Dion Waiters this season. Better defensively than Waiters but they have similar athleticism and build except Waiters is a more natural scorer.

Milbuck
06-05-2014, 10:31 AM
You're an idiot. Smart is going to average 17, 5, 5 his rookie year. just wait on it.
You know that's better than rookie Wade, right? And rookie Wade was 2 years older than Smart..

I understand the passion/intensity part, that's my biggest reason for mentioning that he could be great. I'm not ruling anything out because he could certainly improve his jumper and handles. But I'm just saying, there comes a certain point where we value his work ethic and ability to improve too highly, and neglect his inherent lack of point guard skills. He stayed in school to improve his all-around PG game (playmaking, shooting, leadership, etc.) but after seeing him this past season, he's really not improved that much in those ways. He's going to be a stud defender, a good scorer, all of those things. But I still haven't seen him improve anything from year 1 to 2 in college to suggest that he'll be an elite point guard and floor general in the NBA.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

hawksdogsbraves
06-05-2014, 10:45 AM
I can't wait to see him bully fans in the league. It kind of scares me because I don't want that idiot to choke me out if I'm at a game, but at the same time it's kind of exciting.

DukeDelonte13
06-05-2014, 10:50 AM
On offense, I could see Smart being a less gifted version of Dion Waiters this season. Better defensively than Waiters but they have similar athleticism and build except Waiters is a more natural scorer.

yeah i get the waiters vibe from him too, similar sized combo guards who play with a chip on their shoulders...

I like smart. I think he's going to do well in the NBA. His advanced metrics are pretty damn good.

I think he's going to come in and struggle finishing his rookie year like so many guards do but he has the tools and the mentality to put it together.

D-FENS
06-05-2014, 11:40 AM
I understand the passion/intensity part, that's my biggest reason for mentioning that he could be great. I'm not ruling anything out because he could certainly improve his jumper and handles. But I'm just saying, there comes a certain point where we value his work ethic and ability to improve too highly, and neglect his inherent lack of point guard skills. He stayed in school to improve his all-around PG game (playmaking, shooting, leadership, etc.) but after seeing him this past season, he's really not improved that much in those ways. He's going to be a stud defender, a good scorer, all of those things. But I still haven't seen him improve anything from year 1 to 2 in college to suggest that he'll be an elite point guard and floor general in the NBA.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Here's a comparison. Most people consider Rondo to be a top point guard. Marcus Smart is a better defender, better scorer, better shooter, and not even in the conversation with Rondo for passing.

Smart needs the right situation, surrounded by shooters, and a defensive big that allows him to gamble on D. He could be great off the bat if he has those things. Unfortunately a lot of point guards would like to be in a situation like that.

People are mentioning that he failed to improve. I don't see that at all. Look at the numbers from freshman to sophmore (all per 40 stats):
PPG: 18.3 to 22.0
RPG: 6.9 to 7.2
APG: 5.0 to 5.8
TOPG: 4.0 to 3.2
AST/TO% 1.25 to 1.81
FG% 40.4% to 42.2%
3P% 29.0% to 29.9%
2P% 46.5% to 51.4%
PER: 24.0 to 26.9
FTA: 7.8 to 9.9

Numbers that dropped:
SPG: 3.6 to 3.5
BPG: 0.8 to 0.7
FT% 77.7% to 72.8%

I see a lot of improvement overall. I think his team was weak, LeBryan Nash is ok - maybe a 2nd rounder, but a guy like Brown is your classic example of a guy that will only be successful in college like Miles Simon

hawksdogsbraves
06-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Here's a comparison. Most people consider Rondo to be a top point guard. Marcus Smart is a better defender, better scorer, better shooter, and not even in the conversation with Rondo for passing.

Smart needs the right situation, surrounded by shooters, and a defensive big that allows him to gamble on D. He could be great off the bat if he has those things. Unfortunately a lot of point guards would like to be in a situation like that.

People are mentioning that he failed to improve. I don't see that at all. Look at the numbers from freshman to sophmore (all per 40 stats):
AST/TO% 1.25 to 1.81
FG% 40.4% to 42.2%
3P% 29.0% to 29.9%
2P% 46.5% to 51.4%

Numbers that dropped:
FT% 77.7% to 72.8%

I see a lot of improvement overall. I think his team was weak, LeBryan Nash is ok - maybe a 2nd rounder, but a guy like Brown is your classic example of a guy that will only be successful in college like Miles Simon

You can't really say Smart is a better defender or scorer or shooter considering he hasn't played in the league yet. He shot 42% in college, I don't care how many points you're scoring that's bad. He shot 29% from 3, I don't care if that's 'better' than Rondo it's still so bad that he should never, ever shoot from out there.

Defense is the only thing you can make a case for, and nobody can lock down elite PG's in the NBA, their first step is simply too fast for a defender to get in front of.

Also I don't get where people laud his 'mentality' or 'leadership', he didn't 'lead' his college team anywhere and he freaking attacked a fan. Every word from scouts is that his interviews weren't very good. It seems to me that people bringing up his 'mental toughness', (not saying you did) are just giving him lip service.

chocolatethunder
06-05-2014, 01:49 PM

AST/TO% 1.25 to 1.81
FG% 40.4% to 42.2%
3P% 29.0% to 29.9%
2P% 46.5% to 51.4%

Numbers that dropped:
FT% 77.7% to 72.8%

He played 33 min a game each season so if you look at his improvement in te real world, there's very little improvement.

Calling Smart a better defender than Rondo is foolish. Rondo is a two time all defensive team in the NBA. Smart has yet to play a minute. Rondo as a ball handler is light years ahead of Smart. As a passer he is light years ahead of Smart. Smart is barely a better shooter and once he's in the league it may be more difficult for him because he's not that quick and may have difficulty getting his shot off.

Smart went back to college to improve his PG skills which he didn't. He's more of a two but has no shot at being a two in tr NBA. Again, his team underperformed this year.

Marcus
06-05-2014, 01:56 PM

hells yeah.....except he's not a point guard

HylianNightmare
06-05-2014, 02:32 PM
I hope he does

Lebron23
06-05-2014, 02:41 PM
He's more like a combo guard like Russell Westbrook. And posting college stats is pretty useless. Let's see if his game will translate well in the NBA.

stalkerforlife
06-05-2014, 02:51 PM
If given a legit opportunity to run a team, I am very high on Smart. Dude is a specimen.

PistonsFan#21
06-05-2014, 03:05 PM

Wasnt Magic like 6'8'' 230lbs+ ?

jayfan
06-05-2014, 03:41 PM

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0414/ncb_u_ithomas_200.jpg