PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Love Trade Speculation Thread

D-FENS
06-05-2014, 08:55 AM
There are rumors coming out today that Kevin Love would re-sign in Boston if traded there, but the Wolves are more interested in the Bulls package.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233678/Sources-Timberwolves-Not-Enamored-With-Celtics-Potential-Offer-For-Kevin-Love
(Jeff, I would link to Insidehoops rumors, but you don't have the story up yet - I will modify the link once you have it up)

Anyway, here's a list of "reported" packages for Love. What do you think is the best deal the Wolves can get?

Boston Celtics offering:
- Pick 6, 2x future Nets picks, Jared Sullinger, Jeff Green
(I have word from a good source that the C's want to keep pick 17 this year for either a slider, TJ Warren, Cleanthony Early or KJ McDaniels)

Chicago Bulls offering:
- Carlos Boozer, Jimmy Butler, the rights to Nikola Mirotic, Ronnie Brewer, Pick 16, Pick 19

Cleveland Cavaliers offering:
- Pick 1, Tristan Thompson

Milwaukee Bucks offering:
- Pick 2, Pick 31, OJ Mayo, Ersan Ilyasova, John Henson

The other trades floating around are all really pipe dreams.

StephHamann
06-05-2014, 09:04 AM
if cleveland offers the no.1 pick they are officialy the worst franchise in all of sports :lol

JohnFreeman
06-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Bulls would be great. Noah + Gibson + Love :eek:

raprap
06-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Twolves should trade with the bulls. Two first round picks in a deep draft and jimmy butler should help them rebuild faster. They need to build a winning culture in minny.

3peated
06-05-2014, 09:09 AM
if cleveland offers the no.1 pick they are officialy the worst franchise in all of sports :lol

this, lol.

D-FENS
06-05-2014, 09:20 AM

That's right. I am a Celtic fan, but I don't think the Wolves should gift us another all-star.

As a Celtic fan, I'm more interested in trading up from 6th with a future asset for a top 4 pick, hopefully the 2nd pick. I want Embiid or Parker. Both are great fits with the Boston roster

Real Men Wear Green
06-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Boston Celtics offering:
- Pick 6, 2x future Nets picks, Jared Sullinger, Jeff Green
(I have word from a good source that the C's want to keep pick 17 this year for either a slider, TJ Warren, Cleanthony Early or KJ McDaniels)
Giving up both Net picks along with the 6th is too much. In the past AI and VC, off the top of my head (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) were dealt for packages that only included 2 first round picks. This package could mean three lottery picks. A deal like this should bring in a guy that makes the Cs an elite team. If the Cs can bring in Love, keep Rondo and then get at least one of the Net picks they have a path to greatness. But if it just gets them Love and Rondo that's a team that makes the playoffs and is out in the first two rounds every year.

Which could also be why there's no agreed-upon deal yet.

Milbuck
06-05-2014, 09:38 AM
When was that Bucks deal reported? That would royally screw us. Giannis and one of the big 3 of this draft would be one of the highest ceiling duos in the NBA...we better not give that up WITH Henson and the 31st pick just for a year of Love.

Anyways, if Minny has really gotten a good deal from Chicago, they should go for it. Boozer will be a big expiring contract, Butler is still a young player with upside, and the 16/19 picks are pretty good in this draft...but the biggest thing is that Mirotic is an absolute stud, and very well could've been a top 10 pick in this draft. The #6 pick by Boston sounds good, but it's less valuable than it sounds considering that they'd be looking at Smart, Randle, Vonleh, etc. Good prospects, but no one incredible.

JohnMax
06-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Love really wants to go the East so he can make the playoffs

D-FENS
06-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Giving up both Net picks along with the 6th is too much. In the past AI and VC, off the top of my head (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) were dealt for packages that only included 2 first round picks. This package could mean three lottery picks. A deal like this should bring in a guy that makes the Cs an elite team. If the Cs can bring in Love, keep Rondo and then get at least one of the Net picks they have a path to greatness. But if it just gets them Love and Rondo that's a team that makes the playoffs and is out in the first two rounds every year.

Which could also be why there's no agreed-upon deal yet.

I don't know if I really want to deal for Love. I think I'd rather try move Rondo for a pick if possible. I wonder if Orlando would consider trading #4 for Rondo

Nastradamus
06-05-2014, 09:43 AM

Minny should have taken him in the first place.

JohnFreeman
06-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Landry + Mclemore + DTrill + first round pick for Rondo + Green

GimmeThat
06-05-2014, 10:20 AM
If the Wolves are firing their GM. The bulls offer actually isn't terrible.

Cavs and Bucks offer seems too good to be true
I think that is what they think the fair market value is for K-Love
but not nessecarily what he'll get back in return
because I don't think #1 pick or #2 just comes around this easily in this draft
I get the bucks offer in unloading some contract, but unless the Wolves GM have other plans in mind that can really utilize those assets. Appears good in paper, not nessecarily the best in terms of post draft decisions.

I like K-Loves trade to the Celtics even if they appear to be giving up on quite the value.

Because I think it'll be the test of how much faith they actually put in their coach they brought in from Butler.

There were reasons they'd do these type of trades when Doc Rivers were the coach, and actually pulled them off.

el gringos
06-05-2014, 10:36 AM
That's right. I am a Celtic fan, but I don't think the Wolves should gift us another all-star.

As a Celtic fan, I'm more interested in trading up from 6th with a future asset for a top 4 pick, hopefully the 2nd pick. I want Embiid or Parker. Both are great fits with the Boston roster
At least that explains why you left off the Knicks as a pipe dream.

Chandler, hardaway, shumpert, 1st is in the same ballpark as those other deals.

ralph_i_el
06-05-2014, 10:37 AM

Holy shit that could work because Gibson can check 3's and Love can shoot so it doesn't **** up the spacing :applause:

That team would get every rebound

fpliii
06-05-2014, 10:41 AM
I know we don't have much, but what would it take for the Lakers to pull it off? Is a direct trade possible, or would they have to bring a third team into it? Or is there nothing they can do, short of Love refusing to re-sign elsewhere (not happening) or the other teams pulling out?

hawksdogsbraves
06-05-2014, 10:44 AM
I know we don't have much, but what would it take for the Lakers to pull it off? Is a direct trade possible, or would they have to bring a third team into it? Or is there nothing they can do, short of Love refusing to re-sign elsewhere (not happening) or the other teams pulling out?

I don't think the Lakers have the goods to get him in a trade. You have a great shot at him in FA if he doesn't sign long-term somewhere though, so at least you've got that going for you :confusedshrug:

Milbuck
06-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Holy shit that could work because Gibson can check 3's and Love can shoot so it doesn't **** up the spacing :applause:

If Rose could just return to 75% of his old self and just be an 18-20ppg player, that team is contending for the next 5-6 years.

GimmeThat
06-05-2014, 10:47 AM

haven't you heard? we lost the lottery!

Bigsmoke
06-05-2014, 10:58 AM

I'm tired of all of the good players only being in the west too

D-FENS
06-05-2014, 11:05 AM
LOL at the Knicks fan thinking they have a chance!

GimmeThat
06-05-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm tired of all of the good players only being in the west too

Actually, there has been a lot of coaches on the West Coast that has been fired or let go. Many retired as well.

rufuspaul
06-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Hornets: Picks #9 and 24 plus a future 1st rounder plus Gerald Henderson, Bizmack Biyombo.

Hornets then draft Wilbekin at 45.

Kemba, Ridnour, Pargo
FA (Afflalo), Wilbekin, Taylor
MKG, Taylor
Love, Zeller
Big Al, FA, Haywood

roffie
06-05-2014, 11:41 AM

gibson will most likely be gone if love comes to the bulls

SwishSquared
06-05-2014, 12:41 PM
In a vacuum, I suppose the Bulls are offering the most in terms of present-day assets (best chance to have good record next year), followed by Celtics, in those trades presented by OP. I'm surprised Boston isn't offering any more sooner picks, such as one of next year's picks, in addition to future Nets' pick(s). A question though: would Butler + two more 2014 picks+ Mirotic make Minnesota team a postseason player in next couple years? They have a sorta bloated payroll now and have to pay Mirotic at least MLE now and Butler next summer. They might not get any better than fringe-contention for 8th seed.

Is anybody else a little surprised that Chicago is offering Butler and both of this year's picks? I get Love's a top 10 guy and they'll likely give him up (basically give up w/e it takes to get a Love-type talent), but Love's value is a little overrated here isn't it? There's no much Bulls can do to replace him (only have exceptions at that point to fill perimeter holes). I understand giving up Mirotic because you don't need him if you have Love. Keeping Gibson is key- they may have best big rotation in the league if that deal happens. But they are weaker on perimeter for sure if they lose Butler + picks.

I'm guessing Rose comes back to put up at least 17ppg on ~45% shooting next year, which could be a good complement alongside Love. If he has trouble staying healthy though, Love's risking his prime on Rose staying on the court. I wonder right now if Love prefers Rondo to Rose, even if Boston's future roster construction is a little murky.

Boston has a lot of work to do if they trade for Love (need a legit starting C and a better wing scorer), but I feel he lands there somehow. Ainge has way too many picks to not swing for the fences. Ainge's best offer (I'm guessing) is #6 + Green + 2015 first rounder (they have up to 3) + future Nets' pick(s) + Sully + Ollynyk + expiring(s) for Love + 1 bad mid-size contract (maybe Budinger?).

Droid101
06-05-2014, 12:58 PM
and the 16/19 picks are pretty good in this draft...
Or package 13/16/19 to move up to what, somewhere 8 through 10? One of those teams might bite. Who knows.

brantonli
06-05-2014, 01:03 PM
NBC Sports @NBCSports

beastee
I wonder right now if Love prefers Rondo to Rose, even if Boston's future roster construction is a little murky.

Love trains with Westbrook and Rose every summer. They are very tight. And Rondo came back from a similar injury as Rose, so I think that is a wash.

I too am concerned that IF that is Bulls offer...it is too much. They really need to hold onto one of this years picks and draft a solid #2. Rodney Hood or Gary Harris would be ideal.

1- Rose, Kirk
2- Draft and a MLE vet-Snell
3- Rotation of Dunleavy-Snell-Love
4- Love-Gibson
5- Noah-Gibson-Scrub signing

If they hit on that 2 guard in the draft that team is lethal. Rebounding advantage over anyone and enough inside and out to really space the floor well.

So I am all for that trade if they can keep their 16th pick.

hawksdogsbraves
Hornets: Picks #9 and 24 plus a future 1st rounder plus Gerald Henderson, Bizmack Biyombo.

Hornets then draft Wilbekin at 45.

Kemba, Ridnour, Pargo
FA (Afflalo), Wilbekin, Taylor
MKG, Taylor
Love, Zeller
Big Al, FA, Haywood

The Wolves would accept this in a second.

Not smart for the Hornets though, that front court is awful defensively, (despite being awesome offensively) and that team still isn't good enough to win anything. Plus Love wouldn't re-sign there and you'd be set back.

Use the gift of the number 9 pick, sign Afflalo, and let MKG keep practice his jumper, don't abandon the rebuild for a year of Love.

-Lebron23-
06-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Bulls get absolutely raped in that scenario.

Celtics would also give up too many picks I think, but their package is more realistic.

No idea why Cleveland would give away their #1 pick unless Love agrees to resign.

Bucks basically send their rubbish packed with #2 for Love? Also, there is no way Love is resigning in Milwaukee to play with...well, with no one, continue to spend 6 months a year without playing pro basketball. He would have to be crazy into the Giannis bandwagon for that to happen.

SwishSquared
06-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Love trains with Westbrook and Rose every summer. They are very tight. And Rondo came back from a similar injury as Rose, so I think that is a wash.

I too am concerned that IF that is Bulls offer...it is too much. They really need to hold onto one of this years picks and draft a solid #2. Rodney Hood or Gary Harris would be ideal.

1- Rose, Kirk
2- Draft and a MLE vet-Snell
3- Rotation of Dunleavy-Snell-Love
4- Love-Gibson
5- Noah-Gibson-Scrub signing

If they hit on that 2 guard in the draft that team is lethal. Rebounding advantage over anyone and enough inside and out to really space the floor well.

So I am all for that trade if they can keep their 16th pick.
Oh I meant in terms of playing with Rose vs. Rondo for next several years. I know he's good friend with Rose. Just wonder if he's confident in Rose being as healthy as he can during playoff runs. The ACL injury may be a tossup (though Rondo only partially tore it I think) but Rose also had that meniscus surgery too. If he had it repaired and he can come back just fine (like Westbrook, Griffin, etc.), then it's not really an issue. If he had any part of it removed (Wade, CP3, etc.) then that's a problem imo.

I agree on keeping just 1 of this year's picks. I like the idea of Hood on this squad for his floor-spacing. I don't think defensively they can start Dunleavy and I'm unsure if Snell is ready to start. Maybe use MLE and BAE to shore up perimeter (maybe get PJ Tucker or James Johnson to start at SF) and potentially draft Patrick Young in second round (heard his name linked to them). Would give them a big rotation of Love, Noah, Gibson, Greg Smith, P. Young. I think they need to target a starting wing who can help initiate offense, too, with an exception.

beastee
06-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Maybe use MLE and BAE to shore up perimeter (maybe get PJ Tucker or James Johnson to start at SF) and potentially draft Patrick Young in second round. I think they need to target a starting wing who can help initiate offense, too, with an exception.

Im good with this. James Johnson play decent D. But with Love, Rose and Noah all on the court, points wont be much of an issue. so a 2 or 3 who can guard well and drain some threes is ideal...Like jimmy butler...O wait.:banghead:

Plan B must be
Rose
Butler
Melo
Mirotic and a Defensive PF
Noah

And I am definitely cool with that also. All depth would be gone though, no Dunleavy or Augustin, and Melo would have to agree to a smaller contract (would lala allow that?)

D-FENS
06-05-2014, 01:30 PM
I wonder if Danny would re-sign Hump to a 1 year deal to make him part of the trade? And then keep Green.

SwishSquared
06-05-2014, 01:43 PM
I wonder if Danny would re-sign Hump to a 1 year deal to make him part of the trade? And then keep Green.
Could sign him to a 1-year non-guaranteed deal just for Minny to waive him, then he once again becomes UFA immediately afterward, right?

ProfessorMurder
06-05-2014, 01:43 PM
3 firsts, Sully and Green for Love? :roll:

brantonli
06-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Could sign him to a 1-year non-guaranteed deal just for Minny to waive him, then he once again becomes UFA immediately afterward, right?

if you do sign, you have to either trade him immediately, or you can't trade him for another 3 months or something. I doubt the NBA would leave such a big loophole in the rules.

SwishSquared
06-05-2014, 02:10 PM
if you do sign, you have to either trade him immediately, or you can't trade him for another 3 months or something. I doubt the NBA would leave such a big loophole in the rules.
That's what I mean- Humphries would agree to S&T for a 1 year non-guaranteed (or minimally partially guaranteed) deal, then Minnesota would waive him, making him an UFA. I don't know if that's allowed exactly, but I know Bogans was part of Pierce/KG trade where he agreed to S&T on a non-guaranteed deal. Boston just never waived him since his contract is great for trades.

Maybe Boston does that S&T for Hump + cash (which ultimately gets paid to Hump for his troubles) in this arrangement as part of the Love trade.

D-FENS
06-05-2014, 02:25 PM
That's what I mean- Humphries would agree to S&T for a 1 year non-guaranteed (or minimally partially guaranteed) deal, then Minnesota would waive him, making him an UFA. I don't know if that's allowed exactly, but I know Bogans was part of Pierce/KG trade where he agreed to S&T on a non-guaranteed deal. Boston just never waived him since his contract is great for trades.

Maybe Boston does that S&T for Hump + cash (which ultimately gets paid to Hump for his troubles) in this arrangement as part of the Love trade.

Hump might even like going back to Sota, though I don't see why they'd want him.

SwishSquared
06-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Hump might even like going back to Sota, though I don't see why they'd want him.
I'm throwing out there that 'Sota would immediately waive him, thus making him an UFA. So he'd just need to sign a contract just to get waived basically right afterwards. Then he goes on to find a new team.

brantonli
06-05-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm throwing out there that 'Sota would immediately waive him, thus making him an UFA. So he'd just need to sign a contract just to get waived basically right afterwards. Then he goes on to find a new team.

Hmm I doubt that's within the rules, or else you'd see teams do it all the time to make salaries work. Works great for midseason trades, but not sure about offseason.

SwishSquared
06-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Hmm I doubt that's within the rules, or else you'd see teams do it all the time to make salaries work. Works great for midseason trades, but not sure about offseason.

From: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/keith-bogans-details-frustrating-life-well-compensated-trade-155159192--nba.html

Into the breach steps Bogans, who will now earn $5,058,198 in 2013-14. The salary is fully guaranteed, as the first year of a sign-and-trade always has to be, and even though the 2014-15 ($5,285,817) and 2015-16 ($5,285,838) salaries are fully unguaranteed with no guarantee date, the huge price hike for a man who would have done well to earn the veteran's minimum of $1,399,507 this year is noteworthily enormous.

The latter two years are largely token, and are only include because sign-and-trades require a contract of either three or four years in length, yet in a further bonus, they provide Boston with a similarly huge trade chip.
Alas, not doable. Would have been slick though lol.

hawkfan
06-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Hawks get

Kevin Love

Wolves get

Dennis Schroeder (first round pick last year)
Hawks first round pick this year (number 16)
Future first round pick (top 10 protected)
14 million in cap space

The Wolves get two firsts and Schroeder and go into total rebuild mode. The Wolves then look to move Kevin Martin to Detroit (for a 2nd round pick and an expirer), and then move Pekovic out for a first and a young prospect.

So the Wolves clear out a huge amount of cap space, and get young players and first round picks.

The Hawks get a starting unit of Love-Millsap-Horford-Teague-Korver, which should be good enough to win 50 games in the East.