PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith is a perfect fit with the Spurs

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 10:49 AM
put him on a team with such a great coach and great locker room and he would be a superstar, no questions asked.

JohnFreeman
06-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Pop and Duncan will probably be gone soon

MP.Trey
06-05-2014, 10:51 AM
He's too far gone. Maybe if he actually went to college and maybe, MAYBE if he was on the Spurs straight out of high school/college. A 29 year old dummy who relies on his declining athleticism and takes nearly 4 threes per game at a 26% clip is not a perfect fit for the Spurs. Sorry.

aboss4real24
06-05-2014, 10:51 AM
He's staying with det

GimmeThat
06-05-2014, 10:53 AM
He's too far gone. Maybe if he actually went to college and maybe, MAYBE if he was on the Spurs straight out of high school/college. A 29 year old dummy who relies on his declining athleticism and takes nearly 4 threes per game at a 26% clip is not a perfect fit for the Spurs. Sorry.

Stephen Jackson will do the Mutombo with his ring from Spurs

:hammertime:

Milbuck
06-05-2014, 10:55 AM
They wouldn't sign him. They don't look for mental projects. They're fine with signing guys who have gaps in their game, a lack of physical gifts, etc. They'll teach the game, but they'd rather not teach character. There's been exceptions, but for the most part their biggest requirements when signing players are intelligence, unselfishness, and cooperation. JSmoove is not that guy. If he was like 20 years old, that's different. But he's 28, pretty close to his decline, his athletic abilities are going to dwindle soon, and after that there's really no reason for SAS to go after him.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 10:55 AM
one bad with Detroit and people forget that he was 18/9 and shot 45%+ from the field.

Purch
06-05-2014, 10:58 AM
"A coach can't change people. They are who they are. No matter what team you're talking about, a coach can be observant and try to put his team in situations both on and off the court where some of that can develop, some of the camaraderie sorts of things. But you can't change people."-Greg Pop

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 11:01 AM
"A coach can't change people. They are who they are. No matter what team you're talking about, a coach can be observant and try to put his team in situations both on and off the court where some of that can develop, some of the camaraderie sorts of things. But you can't change people."-Greg Pop
Josh Smith is a good guy, I know him personally. His jumpshot tendencies can easily be changed.

MP.Trey
06-05-2014, 11:01 AM
one bad with Detroit and people forget that he was 18/9 and shot 45%+ from the field.
He still shot too many threes and dumb shots, you're crazy if you couldn't see Smith had a basketball IQ of about three while at Atlanta. His hustle on the defensive end, and agressive rebounding (both predicated on his declining athleticism) were always his best attributes, and his offense just seems to be getting worse and worse year by year. I stand by what he said, Josh Smith is probably one of the last handful of players I'd say is a perfect fit for the Spurs.

Meticode
06-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Except Smith's contract is unmovable and no one would touch a trade involving him.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 11:04 AM
He still shot too many threes and dumb shots, you're crazy if you couldn't see Smith had a basketball IQ of about three while at Atlanta. His hustle on the defensive end, and agressive rebounding (both predicated on his declining athleticism) were always his best attributes, and his offense just seems to be getting worse and worse year by year. I stand by what he said, Josh Smith is probably one of the last handful of players I'd say is a perfect fit for the Spurs.
His FG% declined because there was no floor spacing last year. Shot selection is something coaching can fix.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Except Smith's contract is unmovable and no one would touch a trade involving him.
Josh Smith's contract>Tiago Splitter's contract

Meticode
06-05-2014, 11:05 AM
45% from the field, sub 30% from three taking over 2 threes a game. He takes too many dumb shots.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
45% from the field, sub 30% from three taking over 2 threes a game. He takes too many dumb shots.
Once again taking bad shots can be coached.

Meticode
06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
His FG% declined because there was no floor spacing last year. Shot selection is something coaching can fix.
Someone with his talent and athleticism shouldn't be shooting 45% from the field anyway. He needs to play 18 feet or closer to the basket and shoot over 50%, but he doesn't. Ever since the season he shot no threes for the season and he was over 50% from the field he's regressed every year since then.

Also take a peek at his free throw percentages, they've been sucking it up as well. He used to shoot over 70% or hover around that, not the dude is in the 50 percentile. Awful for $14 million a year.

Meticode
06-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Once again taking bad shots can be coached.
By whom? Cause Pop isn't going to be there. The guy has been in the league since he was a teenager, he's a 9 year vet. He's not going to magically stop taking bad shots if he hasn't already.

MP.Trey
06-05-2014, 11:09 AM
He had 4 years of bad habits in high school. 9 years of bad habits with Atlanta, and now with the poorly constructed/spaced Detroit team he is on, he's creating even more bad habits trying to do things he shouldn't be trying to do. He's too far gone.

Meticode
06-05-2014, 11:12 AM
He had 4 years of bad habits in high school. 9 years of bad habits with Atlanta, and now with the poorly constructed/spaced Detroit team he is on, he's creating even more bad habits trying to do things he shouldn't be trying to do. He's too far gone.
This. And it isn't like the Spurs are getting him anyway. Almost $14 million a year and it's like 3-4 years left on the contract.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 11:13 AM
By whom? Cause Pop isn't going to be there. The guy has been in the league since he was a teenager, he's a 9 year vet. He's not going to magically stop taking bad shots if he hasn't already.
Pop's replacement will still command respect and be solid because he has one of the best assistant coaching trees in the NBA.

Someone with his talent and athleticism shouldn't be shooting 45% from the field anyway. He needs to play 18 feet or closer to the basket and shoot over 50%, but he doesn't. Ever since the season he shot no threes for the season and he was over 50% from the field he's regressed every year since then.

Also take a peek at his free throw percentages, they've been sucking it up as well. He used to shoot over 70% or hover around that, not the dude is in the 50 percentile. Awful for $14 million a year.
Kobe shoots 45% and he's an all time great

GimmeThat
06-05-2014, 11:16 AM

- Basketball is simpler than you think

it's funny, the more I practice, the luckier I get.

good better best never let it rest until your good is better and your better is best.

D-FENS
06-05-2014, 11:20 AM
The Spurs would rather a guy like Ersan Ilyasova. Josh Smith is untradeable.

Meticode
06-05-2014, 11:20 AM
Pop's replacement will still command respect and be solid because he has one of the best assistant coaching trees in the NBA.
Smith has been playing this way for over a decade, he's not changing anything as far as how/when he takes his shots.

What in the hell does Kobe have to do with anything? He plays a completely different game and a completely different position.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Smith has been playing this way for over a decade, he's not changing anything as far as how/when he takes his shots.

What in the hell does Kobe have to do with anything? He plays a completely different game and a completely different position.
09-10 he only took 7 three pointers no reason he can't do that again. Also 45% is solid because he is a pseudo wing player.

Meticode
06-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Well in any case this is a hypothetical thread. And the Spurs nor anyone else in the NBA isn't going to touch Josh Smith's contract. By the time he can be traded or be with a different team he'll be almost 31 years old if not already 31. So it's nice to dream about this and all, but it's a waste of time and a moot point.

Onto other things...

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Well in any case this is a hypothetical thread. And the Spurs nor anyone else in the NBA isn't going to touch Josh Smith's contract. By the time he can be traded or be with a different team he'll be almost 31 years old if not already 31.
they should.

fatboy11
06-05-2014, 11:32 AM
My take on all this:

- Good coaching can at least mask some of the things wrong with Smith's game.

- Spurs aren't going to try to acquire Smith's bad contract.

- Smith isn't a good fit for San Antonio anyway. Gonna play PF with Splitter at C and Leonard at SF?

We're just going to have to see what SVG can do with Smith in Detroit because no one is touching that contract. Smith isn't a completely bad player, but his contract is undealable.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 11:33 AM
My take on all this:

- Good coaching can at least mask some of the things wrong with Smith's game.

- Spurs aren't going to try to acquire Smith's bad contract.

- Smith isn't a good fit for San Antonio anyway. Gonna play PF with Splitter at C and Leonard at SF?

We're just going to have to see what SVG can do with Smith in Detroit because no one is touching that contract. Smith isn't a completely bad player, but his contract is undealable.
Splitter sucks.

el gringos
06-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Amare for smith and jerebko

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Amare for smith and jerebko
depending on who the Knicks' coach will be, he might not be a good fit.

Marlo_Stanfield
06-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Josh Smith seems like a good guy and hes a great defender and passer. would also add athletecism.
his lack of shooting is a problem in the Spurs offense tho were everyone but tiago shitter can shoot

fatboy11
06-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Splitter sucks.

As a starting Center, I agree.

But that was my point. A frontline of Splitter/Smith/Leonard isn't going to keep success running in San Antonio.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Josh Smith seems like a good guy and hes a great defender and passer. would also add athletecism.
his lack of shooting is a problem in the Spurs offense tho were everyone but tiago shitter can shoot
he can shoot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVeZIO2aEFs

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 11:44 AM
As a starting Center, I agree.

But that was my point. A frontline of Splitter/Smith/Leonard isn't going to keep success running in San Antonio.
idk man looks solid to me. Leonard will be a superstar along with Smith. 2 Superstars in your frontline is nothing to laugh at.

fatboy11
06-05-2014, 11:51 AM
idk man looks solid to me. Leonard will be a superstar along with Smith. 2 Superstars in your frontline is nothing to laugh at.

I'm afraid I'd have to chuckle if Smith is to be considered a "superstar." I don't even consider Leonard a "superstar" but he is a very good player that has his best basketball ahead of him.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 11:52 AM
I'm afraid I'd have to chuckle if Smith is to be considered a "superstar." I don't even consider Leonard a "superstar" but he is a very good player that has his best basketball ahead of him.
with a good team he would be a superstar no doubt.

Big Cheese
06-05-2014, 12:29 PM

kobe career TS% .555

Josh smith career TS% .510

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 12:32 PM
kobe career TS% .555

Josh smith career TS% .510
that's why Kobe is an all time great and why Josh Smith needs a better team and is a borderline top 5 power forward today.

Meticode
06-05-2014, 12:33 PM
that's why Kobe is an all time great and why Josh Smith needs a better team and is a borderline top 5 power forward today.
Kobe's an all-time great because his TS% is roughly 4-5% higher? :roll:

Big Cheese
06-05-2014, 12:40 PM

Dirk
Tim Duncan
Lamarcus aldridge
Blake Griffin
Kevin Love

no case over anyone on this list

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Dirk
Tim Duncan
Lamarcus aldridge
Blake Griffin
Kevin Love

no case over anyone on this list
Dirk
Tim
LA
Griffin
Josh Smith

Im Still Ballin
06-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Dirk
Tim
LA
Griffin
Josh Smith
Don't listen to this racist he doesn't support the troops. ****head

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Don't listen to this racist he doesn't support the troops. ****head
who am I racist against? wtf is wrong with you?

Im Still Ballin
06-05-2014, 12:53 PM
who am I racist against? wtf is wrong with you?
Goddamn commy.

jayfan
06-05-2014, 12:54 PM
He's staying with det

As a Detroit fan, that's a shame.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 12:56 PM
As a Detroit fan, that's a shame.
you're not a real fan

jayfan
06-05-2014, 01:01 PM
you're not a real fan

My man, he was nothing short of an atrocity this year.

And you know what? Friends of mine in Atlanta warned me in advance. They threw a parade when Detroit signed him away from Atl. Rightfully so.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:02 PM
My man, he was nothing short of an atrocity this year.

And you know what? Friends of mine in Atlanta warned me in advance. They threw a parade when Detroit signed him away from Atl. Rightfully so.
He led the Hawks to the playoffs year after year. Also it wasn't his fault he struggled, the Piston just weren't built for his talents last year. They need to get a real small forward.

jayfan
06-05-2014, 01:06 PM
He led the Hawks to the playoffs year after year. Also it wasn't his fault he struggled, the Piston just weren't built for his talents last year. They need to get a real small forward.

Any sense of chemistry developed between Monroe and Drummond the year before was wrecked by Smith. He is a certifiable ball jack. And he sucks at it, to boot. I would give him away for free just to get him off the team.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Any sense of chemistry developed between Monroe and Drummond the year before was wrecked by Smith. He is a certifiable ball jack. And he sucks at it, to boot. I would give him away for free just to get him off the team.
lol you're an idiot, Josh Smith didn't wreck anything. Joe Dumars should have traded Monroe before he signed Smith. Smith and Drummond with a real small forward would have been solid.

boozehound
06-05-2014, 01:17 PM
I think he could be solid in a situation like SAS. I certainly dont believe he will work it out in Detroit. Dude was beyond bad. We lost almost every single 4th quarter because he and jennings broke off the offensive sets and went into iso-ball with very poor shot selection.

And, no contract is untradeable.

jayfan
06-05-2014, 01:17 PM
lol you're an idiot, Josh Smith didn't wreck anything. Joe Dumars should have traded Monroe before he signed Smith. Smith and Drummond with a real small forward would have been solid.

I'd take Monroe over Smith any day. You can't trust Smith at the 4 to play any differently than he does at the 3. He's always going to drift out to the perimeter and jack 3's. That's who he is. Take him back to Atlanta, please.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:18 PM
I'd take Monroe over Smith any day. You can't trust Smith at the 4 to play any differently than he does at the 3. He's always going to drift out to the perimeter and jack 3's. That's who he is. Take him back to Atlanta, please.
look at his 09-10 season.

boozehound
06-05-2014, 01:20 PM
look at his 09-10 season.
so, one season out of nine? That is pretty ridiculous. Face it, hes a poor jumpshooter who will almost always jack it. Is he your cousin or something?

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:23 PM
so, one season out of nine? That is pretty ridiculous. Face it, hes a poor jumpshooter who will almost always jack it. Is he your cousin or something?
no, that was the only season where he had good coaching. That year proves that with good coaching shot selection can be fixed.

ralph_i_el
06-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Josh Smith is a good guy, I know him personally. His jumpshot tendencies can easily be changed.

well how about you call his ass up and tell him to change them? He has always shot bad jumpers. He's not a bad player but he's not a good 1st or 2nd option on offense

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:29 PM
well how about you call his ass up and tell him to change them? He has always shot bad jumpers. He's not a bad player but he's not a good 1st or 2nd option on offense
no he has a smooth jumper that he has been working on relentlessly, he just needs a team that will get him some open shots.

jayfan
06-05-2014, 01:53 PM
no he has a smooth jumper that he has been working on relentlessly, he just needs a team that will get him some open shots.

LOL. Open shots? Defenses were leaving him open all year, begging him to put up that slop. He was all too willing to oblige.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:55 PM
LOL. Open shots? Defenses were leaving him open all year, begging him to put up that slop. He was all too willing to oblige.
you don't watch Pistons games. thanks good day sir.

SCdac
06-05-2014, 04:37 PM
As a Spurs fan, please no.

Smith shoots threes at a .28% clip, is a putrid FT shooter, turnover prone, and just not as good as he should be. Knowing that Pop will use him as a stretch-4 it's just a recipe for disaster IMO. Hope the Spurs steer clear of him regardless of contract size.

People think just everybody will work on the Spurs ("Pop will work miracles"), but it's not true. Richard Jefferson is a prime example, also Hedo Turkoglu in the mid-2000's.

hawksdogsbraves
06-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Every Hawks fan will tell you the same thing about Smith, and every Hawks fan is glad he's gone.

FireDavidKahn
06-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Josh Smith isn't a perfect fit for any team. He is and always will be a cancer no matter who is his coach.

tontoz
06-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Spurs would never being on someone like Smith. Dumb thread.

Smith isn't really a cancer. He has always put out good effort on D. But he is a dumbass on offense who thinks much too highly of himself and can't play the 3 at all. He is much better at the 4.

When Dumars signed him knowing he would have to play the 3 i was stunned. Amazingly stupid move. Playing the 3 just encourages him to jack up more jumpers because he can't beat 3s off the dribble.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Spurs would never being on someone like Smith. Dumb thread.

Smith isn't really a cancer. He has always put out good effort on D. But he is a dumbass on offense who thinks much too highly of himself and can't play the 3 at all. He is much better at the 4.

When Dumars signed him knowing he would have to play the 3 i was stunned. Amazingly stupid move. Playing the 3 just encourages him to jack up more jumpers because he can't beat 3s off the dribble.
like I said he is a top 5 Power Forward in the League. He shouldn't play he 3.

ralph_i_el
06-05-2014, 07:54 PM

He chose to go to the pistons and play with 2 other young bigs who can't shoot. Somebody has to space the floor on that team and Smith wasn't any help because HE CAN'T SHOOT.