PDA

View Full Version : Why do people think that Josh Smith is a bad jumpshooter?

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Bad shot selection yes ( can be coached by Stan Van Gundy) but bad shooter? no chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVeZIO2aEFs

check out how smooth his form is.

no pun intended
06-05-2014, 01:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VvzNQbh.jpg

that's horrendous

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VvzNQbh.jpg

that's horrendous
did you watch the video or are you blind?

no pun intended
06-05-2014, 01:37 PM
sorry i don't consider summer league videos as persuasive evidence

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:41 PM
sorry i don't consider summer league videos as persuasive evidence
Look at how smooth the form is. I've worked hard on my jumpshot and his form is almost perfect.

scm5
06-05-2014, 01:42 PM

Good form =/= good shooting touch

If you play basketball at all, you would know the difference.

Fiddlesticks
Good form =/= good shooting touch

If you play basketball at all, you would know the difference.
watch the video, he makes 6 threes.

inclinerator
he also eats a healthy breakfast

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:44 PM
he also eats a healthy breakfast
Omelette and Trout Sandwich.

MP.Trey
06-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Fun fact: Of all players to take 200+ threes in a season, Josh Smith tied for the 2nd worst percentage of all-time with Michael Carter-Williams and behind the immortal Antoine Walker last year.

scm5
06-05-2014, 01:48 PM
watch the video, he makes 6 threes.

Shooting touch, balance, and consistency are three of the most important things for a shooter. Form really doesn't matter as long as you can replicate it consistently.

Josh Smith might have a nice looking shot, but he also practices shooting a lot and will make 3's. Whether or not he makes them consistently in games is what matters.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Fun fact: Of all players to take 200+ threes in a season, Josh Smith tied for the 2nd worst percentage of all-time with Michael Carter-Williams and behind the immortal Antoine Walker last year.
last year was not a good year for Josh, also Antoine Walker with the Celtics was considered a co-star to Paul Pierce so there is nothing to be ashamed of.

MC Gusto
06-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Bad shot selection yes ( can be coached by Stan Van Gundy) but bad shooter? no chance.

Bad shooter, point blank. 99.9% of NBA players can make those shots in an exhibition setting.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Bad shooter, point blank. 99.9% of NBA players can make those shots in an exhibition setting.
whats the difference, a jumpshot is a jumpshot no matter where you are.

MC Gusto
06-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Omelette and Trout Sandwich.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Breakfast of champions.

MC Gusto
06-05-2014, 01:54 PM
As a Hawks fan who watched Josh constantly shoot brick after brick for 8 years, I can tell you that he shoots as well as he did in that video in warmups. It doesn't translate to live NBA action though.

Go watch some of these draft workout videos from guys who supposedly can't shoot and see how many wide open shots they're making when not under any pressure.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 01:56 PM
As a Hawks fan who watched Josh constantly shoot brick after brick for 8 years, I can tell you that he shoots as well as he did in that video in warmups. It doesn't translate to live NBA action though.

Go watch some of these draft workout videos from guys who supposedly can't shoot and see how many wide open shots they're making when not under any pressure.
there is pressure bro, it's not warm ups or work outs, they are actually playing. If you struggle in Summer League you might get cuts so there is always pressure.

GimmeThat
06-05-2014, 01:59 PM
his release isn't fast enough.

you can tell he's more of a set shooter than a jump shooter ala Dirk
only Dirk has form and releases that most others can't duplicate

He's still in the Eastern Conference,
which means it still requires him to play more of a bruising role than an offensive role.

I hope no one were implying SVG could turn him into a Rashard Lewis just because he's the coach with the Pistons now.

If he had solid roles, where he doesn't have to be the 1st or 2nd option because the team is well balanced. Or just jacking up shots like the good ole Hawks day with Joe Johnson.

15-17 on 47% shooting, with more points coming from 3 and his TS% going up isn't out of the question.

He could be a better 3 point set shooter than Chris Bosh.
But probably not as good of a jump shooter mid range wise as Bosh.

Yes, I think Bosh's athletecism may be underrated.
And yes, Bosh has a pretty quick release.

scm5
06-05-2014, 02:00 PM

Defense.

Most NBA players play excellent defense when compared to players not in the NBA. If they aren't naturally good defenders, they are trained on what to do to fit in with the defensive system they're playing in. They're also paid professionals so they're generally in better shape than players not in the league.

Not much defense is played in the Drew League.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 02:01 PM
he's release isn't fast enough.

you can tell he's more of a set shooter than a jump shooter ala Dirk
only Dirk has form and releases that most others can't duplicate

He's still in the Eastern Conference,
which means it still requires him to play more of a bruising role than an offensive role.

I hope no one were implying SVG could turn him into a Rashard Lewis just because he's the coach with the Pistons now.

If he had solid roles, where he doesn't have to be the 1st or 2nd option because the team is well balanced. Or just jacking up shots like the good ole Hawks day with Joe Johnson.

15-17 on 47% shooting, with more points coming from 3 and his TS% going up isn't out of the question.

He could be a better 3 point set shooter than Chris Bosh.
But probably not as good of a jump shooter mid range wise as Bosh.
I agree with you completely bro. On a good team with good coaching, he could probably shoot a higher percentage. Top 5 Power Forward for sure.

MC Gusto
06-05-2014, 02:06 PM
there is pressure bro, it's not warm ups or work outs, they are actually playing. If you struggle in Summer League you might get cuts so there is always pressure.
That video wasn't from an NBA summer league. That was the Drew League, which is basically streetball.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 02:08 PM
That video wasn't from an NBA summer league. That was the Drew League, which is basically streetball.
even better competition because there are grown men and not rookies.

MC Gusto
06-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Defense.

Most NBA players play excellent defense when compared to players not in the NBA. If they aren't naturally good defenders, they are trained on what to do to fit in with the defensive system they're playing in. They're also paid professionals so they're generally in better shape than players not in the league.

Not much defense is played in the Drew League.
:applause: :applause: :applause:

rhowen4
06-05-2014, 02:09 PM
i thought brandon jennings suffered only because there was no spacing on the pistons because they play 3 bigs who can't shoot? top 5 pg otherwise?

josh smith has bad shot selection because he takes wide open shots that the defense gives him because he can't shoot. maybe his slow release is to blame.

form isn't everything though, look at deandre jordan's free throws.

MC Gusto
06-05-2014, 02:09 PM
even better competition because there are grown men and not rookies.
So non-NBA players are better competition than NBA players in your eyes?

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 02:11 PM
So non-NBA players are better competition than NBA players in your eyes?
yes, grown men are better than most rooks.

lilteapot
06-05-2014, 02:11 PM
if he wasn't bad he'd make a decent percentage of shots from outside. the fact that he doesn't lets you know what he's best doing.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 02:12 PM
if he wasn't bad he'd make a decent percentage of shots from outside. the fact that he doesn't lets you know what he's best doing.
bad team and contested shots, he is very good.

MC Gusto
06-05-2014, 02:13 PM
i thought brandon jennings suffered only because there was no spacing on the pistons because they play 3 bigs who can't shoot? top 5 pg otherwise?

josh smith has bad shot selection because he takes wide open shots that the defense gives him because he can't shoot. maybe his slow release is to blame.

form isn't everything though, look at deandre jordan's free throws.
This pretty much sums it up.

MC Gusto
06-05-2014, 02:14 PM
yes, grown men are better than most rooks.
Not if they aren't playing any defense. And why would Josh's veteran ass be playing in summer league anyway?

Springsteen
06-05-2014, 02:18 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

http://espngrantland.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/grant_r_goldsberry_smith_josh_1152.jpg

tontoz
06-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Smith is a career 28% shooter from 3 and sucks from midrange too. He gets wide open looks and still can't hit them no matter how much he practices.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Smith is a career 28% shooter from 3 and sucks from midrange too. He gets wide open looks and still can't hit them no matter how much he practices.
shut up you're being mean and disrespectful

ralph_i_el
06-05-2014, 02:54 PM

wide open jumpshots in a summer league game where everyone is jogging around =/= having to take contested shots after running the floor and defending serious NBA players.

Seriously....a summer league clip over a decade of evidence?

Fiddlesticks you have no idea what you're talking about and you're a stan for a mediocre player

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 02:56 PM
wide open jumpshots in a summer league game where everyone is jogging around =/= having to take contested shots after running the floor and defending serious NBA players.

Seriously....a summer league clip over a decade of evidence?

Fiddlesticks you have no idea what you're talking about and you're a stan for a mediocre player
shut up! shut up! shut up! Josh Smith is a top 5 PF today!

tontoz
06-05-2014, 03:02 PM
shut up you're being mean and disrespectful

Mean because i point out the facts? :oldlol:

I used to live in Atlanta and followed the Hawks for years. Smith can't shoot worth a damn. He has had hot streaks here and there but in the end he always goes back to masonry.

Fiddlesticks
06-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Mean because i point out the facts? :oldlol:

I used to live in Atlanta and followed the Hawks for years. Smith can't shoot worth a damn. He has had hot streaks here and there but in the end he always goes back to masonry.
LOL good try lie man. You obviously didn't watch Hawks games. Josh was a beast with the Hawks.

no pun intended
12-30-2014, 05:47 PM
lol

oarabbus
12-30-2014, 06:22 PM
shut up! shut up! shut up! Josh Smith is a top 5 PF today!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

SCdac
12-30-2014, 06:31 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

http://espngrantland.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/grant_r_goldsberry_smith_josh_1152.jpg

yikes :eek:

no wonder Detroit just waived him

Done_And_Done
12-31-2014, 01:09 AM
Smoove is a smoove clump of fecal matter

kNIOKAS
12-31-2014, 06:11 AM

It's a horrible form, I don't know what you're talking about.