PDA

View Full Version : Yet some people would pick LeBron over Bird?? ("Heat" game)

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 12:17 AM
[B]Let's look back at game5 of the 1984 Finals, temperature was at about 98

VIntageNOvel
06-06-2014, 12:18 AM
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img837/8089/4yc.gif

atljonesbro
06-06-2014, 12:19 AM
Why did you post that in bold? Doesn't male your point any more valid and makes it hard to read and not want to take you seriously.

juju151111
06-06-2014, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=SHAQisGOAT][B]Let's look back at game5 of the 1984 Finals, temperature was at about 98

NumberSix
06-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Yeah, but Bird definitely pussed out with that back injury though.

:rolleyes:

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 12:22 AM
Why did you post that in bold? Doesn't male your point any more valid and makes it hard to read and not want to take you seriously.

Let's look back at game5 of the 1984 Finals, temperature was at about 98

stalkerforlife
06-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Bird > Bron

Don't believe the hype, kids.

atljonesbro
06-06-2014, 12:24 AM
[QUOTE=SHAQisGOAT]Let's look back at game5 of the 1984 Finals, temperature was at about 98

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 12:27 AM
I agree with everything you said, but LJ>Bird. Noting you said changed that

In your (ignorant) mind though.

Yeah, but Bird definitely pussed out with that back injury though.

Playing some years with back troubles (like a beast I might add), then coming back for 3 more (pretty good) seasons and the Olympics, after back (and ankles) surgery = pussying out? Right... :rolleyes:

LeBron (or probably most players for that matter) going through the same "stuff" as Bird wouldn't even be playing anymore, or at least not playing nearly as well, or giving the same as Larry still would.. :oldlol:

BasedTom
06-06-2014, 12:27 AM
Think long term. Isiah and Bird both retired relatively early because of injury and lots of mileage. Can the Heat win the game with Lebron playing on one leg? Maybe, but it wouldn't be worth winning 1 game if it means making his injury worse.

Derrick Rose tore an ACL playing garbage time against the Sixers. I don't think anyone wants to teak unnecessary risks.

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 12:33 AM
Think long term. Isiah and Bird both retired relatively early because of injury and lots of mileage. Can the Heat win the game with Lebron playing on one leg? Maybe, but it wouldn't be worth winning 1 game if it means making his injury worse.

Derrick Rose tore an ACL playing garbage time against the Sixers. I don't think anyone wants to teak unnecessary risks.

[B]You don't think long term in the NBA Finals, shit :facepalm This is what it's all about, one game or even one moment can change it all, that's what great ones are made of, that's what "made" dudes like Bird, Isiah or Jordan. Intangibles also matter in sports, some of those dudes played through extremely difficult "situations" and still came through... At the end of the day it's all about the present, all about the win, can't be thinking on that long term stuff, can't be acting like a *****.
Yet some people wanna say "oh gimme Bron look at his athleticism", motha****in Larry Bird was playing on 98

LeBird
06-06-2014, 12:34 AM
As a big Bird fan, I think the timing of this post is somewhat opportunistic. The guy had cramps and couldn't move. Bird was incredible though.

tanner892
06-06-2014, 12:36 AM
Bird didn't inject needles in his butthole for gains

BasedTom
06-06-2014, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=SHAQisGOAT][B]You don't think long term in the NBA Finals, shit :facepalm This is what it's all about, one game or even one moment can change it all, that's what great ones are made of, that's what "made" dudes like Bird, Isiah or Jordan. Intangibles also matter in sports, some of those dudes played through extremely difficult "situations" and still came through...
Yet some people wanna say "oh gimme Bron look at his athleticism", motha****in Larry Bird was playing on 98

iamgine
06-06-2014, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE=SHAQisGOAT][B]Let's look back at game5 of the 1984 Finals, temperature was at about 98

juju151111
06-06-2014, 12:40 AM
In your (ignorant) mind though.

Playing some years with back troubles (like a beast I might add), then coming back for 3 more (pretty good) seasons and the Olympics, after back (and ankles) surgery = pussying out? Right... :rolleyes:

LeBron (or probably most players for that matter) going through the same "stuff" as Bird wouldn't even be playing anymore, or at least not playing nearly as well, or giving the same as Larry still would.. :oldlol:

How am I ignorant. I thought that before today. One game doesn't change that

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 12:41 AM
As a big Bird fan, I think the timing of this post is somewhat opportunistic. The guy had cramps and couldn't move. Bird was incredible though.

Opportunistic as to what? I'm just stating facts and giving some of my thoughts after something that just happened. It is what it is, I'm not making stuff up, and this is the biggest stage of them all.

Yea, but then again what about when Bird had a totally ****ed up back (amongst other "things") and couldn't even practice, overweight with little mobility left???

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 12:42 AM
How am I ignorant. I thought that before today. One game doesn't change that

So you were ignorant before today? :confusedshrug: Who said a game changes anything? Read my OP's last paragraph also.

TheReal Kendall
06-06-2014, 12:43 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Black and White
06-06-2014, 12:46 AM

Pauk on damage control

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 12:46 AM

Would be perfect for this thread if the dude with the locks had Bird's face :lol

Anyways, like I've said, Finals ain't over yet, Spurs still got to get it done and Heat and Lebron are still "playing".. Doesn't change what happened and what I've said though. Moving on..

Just2McFly
06-06-2014, 12:49 AM
if bird got a cramp, he would have to sit... if they didnt go away he couldnt play, end of story

LeBird
06-06-2014, 12:49 AM
Opportunistic as to what? I'm just stating facts and giving some of my thoughts after something that just happened. It is what it is, I'm not making stuff up, and this is the biggest stage of them all.

Yea, but then again what about when Bird had a totally ****ed up back (amongst other "things") and couldn't even practice, overweight with little mobility left???

As I say, I'm a Bird fan. I think the fact that he ****ed up his back and was still probably the best player in the league in probably the toughest era is a testament to how great he was.

I just think people never really know the extent of injuries till after the fact. It's also a different era where the players' health is monitored greatly. Lebron probably lives and dies on the advice of the Miami heat docs. Whereas in the past, they probably had more of a license to ignore it and play on. Also, who knows if playing on would have injured him even more and ruined his series or perhaps even next season?

It's terrible that it happened, but people wanting to judge Lebron are being a bit opportunistic with it. Injuries happen to the best, even the greatest. There wasn't a case of Lebron being a mental midget, that's not even for debate here really. They were winning and looking the better team.

Pauk on damage control

Moron, I'm not Pauk and I'm probably one of, if not the, biggest Bird fan here.

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 12:53 AM
if bird got a cramp, he would have to sit... if they didnt go away he couldnt play, end of story

[B]Shit, I can sit here and say Bird played through worse... Plus, show me an example where Bird had to check himself out because of cramps (or even where Bird checked himself out of game period, not returning..). Also, y'all ****** wanna talk about athleticism this and that but Bron couldn't handle the "heat"??? Bird was looking fresh, playing heavy minutes while murking the Lakers in the Finals, with the temperature at 98

played0ut
06-06-2014, 12:54 AM
Fun fact since we're talking about bird. Even with his bum back (he was apparently lying down for 85% of the flight during olympics), Malone said Bird was one of the better players on the team.

NumberSix
06-06-2014, 12:55 AM
This will be pretty funny when Heat in 6.

Black and White
06-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Moron, I'm not Pauk and I'm probably one of, if not the, biggest Bird fan here.

Wrong, ShaqisGoat is a bigger Bird fan than you are.

Give it up, Pauk

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 12:59 AM
Fun fact since we're talking about bird. Even with his bum back (he was apparently lying down for 85% of the flight during olympics), Malone said Bird was one of the better players on the team.

Still doing this at 35, with a ****ed up back, after back and ankles surgeries, couldn't even practice much, little mobility left and overweight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0qCAw_hoAA

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 01:01 AM
This will be pretty funny when Heat in 6.

Assuming that even happens, how so? It doesn't change anything that I've just said, it doesn't change what happened before and the clear facts.

And I've also said that the Finals ain't over yet, not even about that or about down-right hating... Yet y'all Lebron's stans staying salty af :oldlol:

juju151111
06-06-2014, 01:08 AM
So you were ignorant before today? :confusedshrug: Who said a game changes anything? Read my OP's last paragraph also.
How am I ignorant once again. I know what Bird accomplishments and how great he was. I just think LJ is better 4 MVps,2 finals MVP, and very comparable stats slight edge to LJ

atljonesbro
06-06-2014, 01:10 AM
SHAQisGOAT is just threaten that his childhood hero is challenged by LeBron. Bird is not playing through those cramps, that's 100% fact. No need to be delusional. He wouldn't be able to move. Him trying to play would be incredibly selfish as he'd pretty much be in one place all game making it 4 v 5.

tpols
06-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Id have to be on crack to do that

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 01:14 AM
How am I ignorant once again. I know what Bird accomplishments and how great he was. I just think LJ is better 4 MVps,2 finals MVP, and very comparable stats slight edge to LJ

Basically because of stuff like that... Stating accolades/acomplishments with basically no 'context', and then talking about "slight edge in stats". I rather watch both play (extensively if possible), put everything into context and on the right perspective, look at their whole careers, what they've done, what they were doing at their best and against the best, recognize their impact, their overall game/talent/skill/intangibles, so on..

Don't take it as an offense though, none of that.

atljonesbro
06-06-2014, 01:16 AM
Basically because of stuff like that... Stating accolades/acomplishments with basically no 'context', and then talking about "slight edge in stats". I rather watch both play (extensively if possible), put everything into context and on the right perspective, look at their whole careers, what they've done, what they were doing at their best and against the best, recognize their impact, their overall game/talent/skill/intangibles, so on..

Don't take it as an offense though, none of that.
So instead of using logic and factually information you want to make lazy arguments? Gotcha.

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 01:18 AM
SHAQisGOAT is just threaten that his childhood hero is challenged by LeBron. Bird is not playing through those cramps, that's 100% fact. No need to be delusional. He wouldn't be able to move. Him trying to play would be incredibly selfish as he'd pretty much be in one place all game making it 4 v 5.

[B]Very threatened, wouldn't even be able to sleep :rolleyes: :facepalm :oldlol: I'm not like any of you stans, and at the end of the day, people who know their shit will still tell you Bird's peak/prime > LeBron's, can't change that...

I can also say Bird played through worse, and plenty of times playing great. Oh and again, game5 of the 1984 NBA Finals? Bird played 42 minutes at 98

Keno
06-06-2014, 01:19 AM
lol. bird is a toothpick, lebron is a 280lb monster. and lebron also played something called defense, something bird wasn't familiar with.

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 01:19 AM
using logic and factually information

= being ignorant (coming from you)

Keno
06-06-2014, 01:20 AM
lebron had back injuries earlier in the season and he played through them. lebron > bird.

Quickening
06-06-2014, 01:25 AM
Hasn't LeBron already played as many elite years as what that weak body bird did, Brb back hurting a little, Brb can't play

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 01:31 AM
lol. bird is a toothpick, lebron is a 280lb monster. and lebron also played something called defense, something bird wasn't familiar with.

[B]Toothpick that muscled Laimbeer in the post, bullied Jordan or Rodman down-low, made Barkley fall while Chuck was holding on to him trying to prevent a game-winner (couldn't), was getting checked by Mahorn and still come back playing greater, couldn't be taken down by Moses and Barkley together, made Tom Chambers look like a fool, made and1 gamewinners while getting tackled by Larry Nance, played 42 great minutes under 98

masonanddixon
06-06-2014, 01:32 AM
No one who knows anything about basketball thinks Lebron should be mentioned in the same breath as Bird.

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 01:35 AM
Hasn't LeBron already played as many elite years as what that weak body bird did, Brb back hurting a little, Brb can't play

[B]Bron playing in the 80s with much more physicality and contact, getting checked by bigger and real bigmen, no access to modern medicine and all those other luxuries (yea everything you can think of), playoffs against GOAT teams, playing games with 98

atljonesbro
06-06-2014, 01:39 AM
[QUOTE=SHAQisGOAT][B]Bron playing in the 80s with much more physicality and contact, getting checked by bigger and real bigmen, no access to modern medicine and all those other luxuries (yea everything you can think of), playoffs against GOAT teams, playing games with 98

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 01:40 AM
You definitely are threatened by LeBron's skill. Your posts reek of insecurity. LeBron > Bird. Deal with it. Already more longevity at 29 with better stats and more accomplishments. No debate with another championship this year.

Please stop with the ignorance, please :rolleyes: :facepalm :lol

atljonesbro
06-06-2014, 01:41 AM
Please stop with the ignorance, please :rolleyes: :facepalm :lol
Just bitter that a younger guy is taking over your childhood hero's spot in history. Can't let go of the past.

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 01:43 AM
Just bitter that a younger guy is taking over your childhood hero's spot in history. Can't let go of the past.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/jack_mccallum/08/15/hof.wrapup/bird-pippen-col-getty.jpg

Yea very bitter :rolleyes: Won't even sleep tonight.

You're the one who's incredibly salty :lol Facts are there buddy, I can't change them

305Baller
06-06-2014, 01:44 AM

pauk
06-06-2014, 01:48 AM
Sure, playing in temperatures like that is what everybody has done and everybody has played through some pains here n there.... but you are missing a point here, the CRAMP point... did any of those players manage to actually play through cramps? Like say Bird?

Nobody in the history of any type of sport managed to cramp up and somehow still.... play through it... not that i know of at least...

Have you ever actually had a cramp? Imagine trying to walk like that? Better yet sprint and jump around like normal.... you cant MOVE, its literally impossible, that is the problem.... Its not the pain that is the problem, Lebron could have easily played through that i think, if he could MOVE....

tpols
06-06-2014, 01:53 AM

zoom17
06-06-2014, 01:54 AM
Lebron>Bird

DonDadda59
06-06-2014, 01:56 AM
Sure, playing in temperatures like that is what everybody has done and everybody has played through some pains here n there.... but you are missing a point here, the CRAMP point... did any of those players manage to actually play through cramps? Like say Bird?

Nobody in the history of any type of sport managed to cramp up and somehow still.... play through it... not that i know of at least...

Have you ever actually had a cramp? Imagine trying to walk like that? Better yet sprint and jump around like normal.... you cant MOVE, its literally impossible, that is the problem.... Its not the pain that is the problem, Lebron could have easily played through that i think, if he could MOVE....

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2zoktxy.gif

Bron asked to be taken out originally because the Spurs were 'tryna smoke him out', like they were on some George Bush bullshit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNaAMK0NGJI) and he was Osama Bin Laden n shit :facepalm

masonanddixon
06-06-2014, 01:56 AM

Players cramp up all the time in tennis and are able to pull through and finish or win the match

Black and White
06-06-2014, 01:59 AM

I understand cramp can stop you in game, but a lower back injury can end your career, Bird deserves that credit.

Kvnzhangyay
06-06-2014, 01:59 AM
Lebron has surpassed Bird in every single aspect of the game... :facepalm :facepalm

pauk
06-06-2014, 02:00 AM
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2zoktxy.gif

Bron asked to be taken out originally because the Spurs were 'tryna smoke him out', like they were on some George Bush bullshit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNaAMK0NGJI) and he was Osama Bin Laden n shit :facepalm

He was just joking around with the mic, long before he felt any cramps... and with the Heat on a comfortable lead...

:confusedshrug:

Black and White
06-06-2014, 02:01 AM
He was just joking around with the mic, long before he felt any cramps... and with the Heat on a comfortable lead...
:confusedshrug:

What game were you watching?

pauk
06-06-2014, 02:19 AM
I understand cramp can stop you in game, but a lower back injury can end your career, Bird deserves that credit.

Absolutely and he sure does. But you are seriously underestimating what a cramp is especially on your legs or entire body......... A weak back gives you mostly pain, but you can at least play through it because you can move fighting through the pain which comes and goes, its annoying, its tough, but you can perfectly move until it maybe occasionally locks up or does that more often unbearably until you have to just quit... but when a cramp kicks in, it locks that specific limb up, there is nothing to do but immediately QUIT.... screw the pain, but you cant move that freakin muscle an inch..... Many people have even died when cramping up, like drowning when swimming, hell, you can have your leg amputated and still not drown and swim back..... but when your body cramps (locks up) you become disabled, its IMPOSSIBLE to try and "fight through it".....

In a single game nothing impacts your movement more than cramp except for the extreme stuff like a completely snapped leg or something of that nature, its not the pain, its the DISABILITY that makes moving around impossible..... you can ask any player on this planet & he will tell you what is worse having in a game.... pain or not being able to move.... better yet every game / entire career, holy god, can you imagine? Then you wouldnt even be in the NBA, but in a hospital, wheelchair or something....

...and please dont call me a Lebron apologiser or think im making some excuses for this game, i am talking about what a cramp does to you and YES Lebron had one in this game.... it means nothing more than that.... did it impact the game? Well, sure.... but it is what it is....

GimmeThat
06-06-2014, 02:19 AM
At that point of the game
even with Bird on the court playing through a cramp
(which he may very possible could because of his ability to shoot)

it still wasn't going to be enough to help the Heat win

Because you can't have a defensive impact by just standing around.

But you can as an offensive player.

BigMacAttack
06-06-2014, 02:29 AM
Lebron has surpassed Bird in every single aspect of the game... :facepalm :facepalm

What about shooting? ****en pathetic stan.

Kvnzhangyay
06-06-2014, 02:40 AM
What about shooting? ****en pathetic stan.

In 1981 Bird averaged 15 ppg on .419 shooting and .46% TS lmfao even worse than bran's 17ppg 2011

1983- .47ts% playoffs

1985- .527 ts playoffs

1988-.538 ts% in playoffs

Lebron reg season shooting %= .497, .341
Bird reg season shooting %= .496, .376

I h8 people that didnt even watch Bird acting like they did lmfao :lol

pauk
06-06-2014, 02:49 AM
At that point of the game
even with Bird on the court playing through a cramp
(which he may very possible could because of his ability to shoot)

it still wasn't going to be enough to help the Heat win

Because you can't have a defensive impact by just standing around.

But you can as an offensive player.

Yea... sounds logical... :P

No but seriously though **** Lebron but from my own experience i freakin hate cramps more than anything, i mean when you REALLY think about it... it has to be the biggest WTF thing that NATURALLY happens to literally every single human at any time........ one minute you feel like the healthiest man on earth then its like you got stabbed with a knife on your quad for example and your leg feels its stuck deep down in some concrete and next thing you know everything is back to normal, like it all was just a nightmare you just woke up from........ wait, actually, you get that in your sleep aswell, you ever woke up from cramps at night?.......

it just... trolls with you....

GimmeThat
06-06-2014, 03:23 AM

No but seriously though **** Lebron but from my own experience i freakin hate cramps more than anything, i mean when you REALLY think about it... it has to be the biggest WTF thing that NATURALLY happens to literally every single human at any time........ one minute you feel like the healthiest man on earth then its like you got stabbed with a knife on your quad for example and your leg feels its stuck deep down in some concrete and next thing you know everything is back to normal, like it all was just a nightmare you just woke up from........ wait, actually, you get that in your sleep aswell, you ever woke up from cramps at night?.......

I thought that the biggest WTF thing that NATURALLY happens to literally every single human at any time was hunger and/or thirst.

that's given the assumption we all breath fresh air.

LeBird
06-06-2014, 03:59 AM

If anything, there are more things Bird is superior than Lebron than the other way round in terms of actual basketball. Unless you mean like stupid arguments like "Bird's only got 3 rings, Lebron's gonna get more".

coin24
06-06-2014, 04:02 AM
Bird >>> bran

Only complete fu*tards would think otherwise.:lol

coin24
06-06-2014, 04:04 AM

Yeah I'm guessing fapping cramps from watching too much bran can be brutal:cheers:

Kvnzhangyay
06-06-2014, 04:29 AM
If anything, there are more things Bird is superior than Lebron than the other way round in terms of actual basketball. Unless you mean like stupid arguments like "Bird's only got 3 rings, Lebron's gonna get more".

Please name them and I will do my best to refute them

inclinerator
06-06-2014, 05:23 AM
1 game

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 05:32 AM

Shooting from pretty much everywhere, post-game, footwork, soft-touch from close range with both hands, pure passing, rebounding and hustle availability, better team and post-defense (Bron's better overall on D though, mostly because of athleticism), most intangibles such as clutchness, mental toughness, agressiveness, leadership, IQ, cout-awareness.
Also, he could dominate in pretty much any way on offense, no clear strategy against a guy like him, he could adjust to any offensive/defensive strategy and could mesh with any type of teammate, knew when to step down and when to step up, and never needed to overhandle the ball, no wasted motion, executed quickly didn't change (for the worse) the "game" of some of his best teammates...

Most of those categories are pretty much irrefutable but g'head...

SHAQisGOAT
06-06-2014, 05:34 AM
1 game

Meaning?

I was comparing "similar" games, mostly to get y'all stans mad (succeeded)... I also brought up many other examples throughout their whole careers, and different other "things", but boil it down to one game. I even mentioned that the Finals are not over yet :rolleyes: :facepalm

chris02jammers
06-06-2014, 05:43 AM
Bron over bird... any given day and time...

Kvnzhangyay
06-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Shooting from pretty much everywhere, post-game, footwork, soft-touch from close range with both hands, pure passing, rebounding and hustle availability, better team and post-defense (Bron's better overall on D though, mostly because of athleticism), most intangibles such as clutchness, mental toughness, agressiveness, leadership, IQ, cout-awareness.
Also, he could dominate in pretty much any way on offense, no clear strategy against a guy like him, he could adjust to any offensive/defensive strategy and could mesh with any type of teammate, knew when to step down and when to step up, and never needed to overhandle the ball, no wasted motion, executed quickly didn't change (for the worse) the "game" of some of his best teammates...

Most of those categories are pretty much irrefutable but g'head...

ALl of the underlined thigns are all incredibly debateable, especially clutchness. I mean, people act like Bird hasn't been absolute crap in the finals either

zoom17
06-06-2014, 05:53 AM
Lebron only 29 buy the time most people will have him over Bird sorry OP you're fighting a losing battle:oldlol:

salwan
06-06-2014, 06:18 AM
Bird >>>LeBron. Nothing new op

cltcfn2924
06-06-2014, 06:28 AM

Really now. Check the stats is all I can say. SPG, RPG, just check 'em all. Neither are great 1 on 1 defenders, in spite of what you Lebron lickers think. Just watch the game, Lebron constantly gets abused. He makes his bacon cheating the lanes.

K Xerxes
06-06-2014, 06:39 AM
LeBron carries more mileage than probably anyone ever since he came into the league. He's played in almost every game possible since the beginning of 2011, including Olympics. Your body is your body, there is nothing 'mental' included about playing through something like this. You can't. If you can barely move, you are a huge detriment to your team, even if you're the best player on the planet. The criticism he is receiving is honestly perplexing.

Micku
06-06-2014, 07:03 AM
ALl of the underlined thigns are all incredibly debateable, especially clutchness. I mean, people act like Bird hasn't been absolute crap in the finals either

Even shooting? Why do you think LBJ is better at shooting when LBJ shoots about 38.53 from midrange this year and he isn't better than Bird at the FT shooting either.

Granted we don't have the stats for Bird. All we have to do is watch how he play and see where his shots mostly come from.

Dirk is a guy who pretty much is a better shooter than LBJ anywhere from the floor too. Destroys him at the midrange game, and pretty much equal at close range except when it comes to finishing at the rim.

Choke
06-06-2014, 07:10 AM
Bird >>>>>>> LeChoke

HoopsFanNumero1
06-06-2014, 07:13 AM
What a terrible poster :facepalm you wait for the opportunity for Lebron to get injured so you can start slobbering all over your idol. I swear, most of you old guys are senile.

LeBird
06-06-2014, 07:26 AM

Let's start with these:

Shooting: mid-range, 3 point, free throw - the only thing Lebron is better is driving to the basket.
Rebounding: not even close; Bird could bang with some of the greatest of all time (almost outrebounded Moses in the finals)
Passing: With far less possession of the ball, has almost the same amount of assists

Champ
06-06-2014, 09:49 AM

Which finals would say Bird was "absolute crap" in?

Champ
06-06-2014, 10:04 AM
I think it's also important to note that the "Heat Game" was probably the biggest game for Bird in his career up to that point. In addition to being a statement game for the series, this was Bird staking his claim to being unarguably the best player in the game at the time and possibly the best forward ever. The stakes were incredibly high for him.

Thirty years later, it's hard to imagine the magnitude of this historic game if you weren't actually around at the time.

In some ways it reminds me of LeBron's Game 6 against the Celtics, which was really a game-changer in a career that had previously been discredited not for talent, but for a perceived lack of ability to come through when it mattered most. But like all the greats, both were able to rise to the challenge when this kind of situation called for it.

I do think Bird was born and raised with an inherent "toughness" that was a product of his harsh upbringing, whereas LeBron was more coddled as a superstar in the making. This discrepancy may lead many to believe that Bird had more mental toughness, along the media imagery of the whole hick, country boy thing. But whether we're talking Magic, Jordan, or any other all-time great, their mental approach to the game is probably far more similar than the media would lead us to believe. I think all great athletes have to bring this to the table when competing at such a high level.

To his credit, LeBron's come around, and dramatic antics aside, has proven his mental toughness over the long haul.

Still, different players from different generations with differing attitudes. This is why it's always so difficult to measure players across eras.

Warfan
06-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Nothing wrong with thinking bron is the better player. I could make a good case for either of them. Seems like OP is saying it isn't debatable, which is bullshit.

BoutPractice
06-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Although thinking that Bird is better than LeBron is perfectly reasonable, that specific comparison tells us absolutely nothing. Zero.

If Bird had had similar cramps, he would have stopped playing, of course... the same goes for Jordan. LeBron's performance before the cramps was actually not much worse than Bird's, statistically speaking (not quite the same impact but still). Despite the heat, he was having a good game compared to most other players on the court, and compared to most of his games vs the Spurs last year. The lack of AC didn't affect his game, only his body.

By the way, if you're interested, here are some of the statlines from the "Heat" game:

Magic - 10 points and 13 assists on 3 of 9 shooting in 39 minutes
Kareem - 19 points and 7 rebounds on 7 of 25 (!) shooting in 35 minutes

Both players are often seen as top 5 and a case has been made for Kareem as the GOAT... both had a worse performance than LeBron last night... and yet LeBron's standing should be negatively affected compared to players from that elite group from that game alone?