PDA

View Full Version : God

BigBoss
06-06-2014, 11:53 PM
I was an atheist up until last year.

Ive taken world religions courses among other philosophy courses and i've come to the conclusion that the concept of God is man-made and that everyone who believes in a higher presence is actually getting in touch with who they are inside, their connection with the world, and the human experience. The ups and downs of life, the joys and pain, and the resilient spirit in all of us who seek happiness in our lives. We ALL feel that. The awes of the universe, finding your path in life, etc a lot of people credit it or explain it as God, but it's ONCE again, really just getting in touch with who you are as a human being.

I think people who get caught up, or distracted in life, are out of touch with themselves. They aren't thinking and personally developing, nor doing what they NEED to do, not want to do, to fulfill their real needs that bugs them on a day to day basis when they wake up in the morning.

Now to reiterate I was an atheist last year, but now I am a believer of God. I'm a believer of Jesus. I'm a believer of Allah. I'm a believer of Krishna. I'm a believer of everything. At the end of the day it's all allegorical, and everyone has touched on the exact same thing to make them a better person. It's all semantics. Put the holy books down. Think less and feel more. Get in touch with yourself. Good things happen. That's God for me. It's a word. God = wanting to be the best version of yourself, not some sky wizard who take you to heaven or banish you to hell. As an individual, happiness= heaven during our life. Sadness= hell. People are in heaven as we speak in their lives, while others are in hell. Once again, it's all allegorical. And I discovered that last year and I hope people on ish who feel down on their luck find that too. When theres a will theres a way, you just need to look. Everyone should look at their life metaphorically to give it meaning.

Draz
06-06-2014, 11:54 PM
I am God.

Patrick Chewing
06-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Phil, is that you?

BigBoss
06-06-2014, 11:59 PM
Lebron is still the anti-christ. That part is real.

Budadiiii
06-07-2014, 12:00 AM
You're still an atheist.

BigBoss
06-07-2014, 12:02 AM
You're still an atheist.

By your definition, correct.

By mines, no.

Me > you.

kentatm
06-07-2014, 12:12 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vtPJjKqCtlg/UlIDQo0Xq4I/AAAAAAAAAFk/seK_a17ngAA/s1600/yes.gif

Draz
06-07-2014, 12:26 AM
Since you're my dad I guess that makes me Jesus.
:cheers:

GimmeThat
06-07-2014, 12:40 AM
We can all believe in a higher power and call it God.

But to say you now believe in "every single religion" just shows the lack of depth you have about the term higher power.

And while saying that God is wanting to be the better/best version of ourselves as well as the fact that believing in a higher power is discovering the inner depth of oneself as it projects onto ourselves and others is pretty much true.

But then to say there are no philosophical principles that differentiates different religions would be just about the most uneducated statement about religion in which you can make.

There is a great difference between respecting others principle, and trying to practice all principles at once.

Yes, it is easier to just say you don't understand everything then to try and attempt to say that you do.

And no, if you thought the statement of "I believe in a higher power" would be the easy cop out version of it all.

Uneducated.

BigBoss
06-07-2014, 03:03 AM
But to say you now believe in "every single religion" just shows the lack of depth you have about the term higher power.

But then to say there are no philosophical principles that differentiates different religions would be just about the most uneducated statement about religion in which you can make.

There is a great difference between respecting others principle, and trying to practice all principles at once.

Ok ill humor this because i'm bored.

I don't practice all religions. The fact that you concluded that shows that you didn't understand much to what I had to say which isn't shocking at all based on your reputation, or lack thereof, on this board. I'm more on the side of universality of all religious/spiritual beliefs that man has created, and the metaphysics of it all, not so much I practice all religions, but rather the essence of it all when you tap into that "frequency" will bare the same fruit. Similarly, meditation does the same for you for that matter.

Lastly, i'm smarter then you so quit before you make a fool of yourself. The angle i'm looking at this is Aristotelian and what the function of a religion/deity/spiritual teaching is meant to DO for a human being, whereas your is simple and reducing it to the common perception of what higher power and what religious philosophy is as taught by followers. Think more, go deeper, finding the big picture answers that cohesively brings it all together. Come back to me when if your brain works.

DeuceWallaces
06-07-2014, 03:20 AM
Lol at this guy who took a class and changed his whole world-view.

Lebron23
06-07-2014, 05:16 AM
OP is so beta.

nathanjizzle
06-07-2014, 09:24 AM
pah! same typical enlightened wannabe philosopher unprovoking bulljazz.

i believe in everything, in atheism and religion, so that makes me more enlightened than you.

red1
06-07-2014, 09:57 AM

Ive taken world religions courses among other philosophy courses and i've come to the conclusion that the concept of God is man-made and that everyone who believes in a higher presence is actually getting in touch with who they are inside, their connection with the world, and the human experience. The ups and downs of life, the joys and pain, and the resilient spirit in all of us who seek happiness in our lives. We ALL feel that. The awes of the universe, finding your path in life, etc a lot of people credit it or explain it as God, but it's ONCE again, really just getting in touch with who you are as a human being.

I think people who get caught up, or distracted in life, are out of touch with themselves. They aren't thinking and personally developing, nor doing what they NEED to do, not want to do, to fulfill their real needs that bugs them on a day to day basis when they wake up in the morning.

Now to reiterate I was an atheist last year, but now I am a believer of God. I'm a believer of Jesus. I'm a believer of Allah. I'm a believer of Krishna. I'm a believer of everything. At the end of the day it's all allegorical, and everyone has touched on the exact same thing to make them a better person. It's all semantics. Put the holy books down. Think less and feel more. Get in touch with yourself. Good things happen. That's God for me. It's a word. God = wanting to be the best version of yourself, not some sky wizard who take you to heaven or banish you to hell. As an individual, happiness= heaven during our life. Sadness= hell. People are in heaven as we speak in their lives, while others are in hell. Once again, it's all allegorical. And I discovered that last year and I hope people on ish who feel down on their luck find that too. When theres a will theres a way, you just need to look. Everyone should look at their life metaphorically to give it meaning.
cringeworthy post

dr.hee
06-07-2014, 11:43 AM

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/waiting_game_of_thrones.gif

secund2nun
06-07-2014, 01:43 PM
I don't believe in a god as the world is so messed up it simply can't be created by a perfect omnipresent god. I do believe in spirits, different realms, reincarnation, and most importantly enlightenment that can be obtained through meditation. I think we all have the answers deep within ourselves. I believe everything comes from within and that meditation/fasting is the key to unlocking it.

You don't have to cohesively bring all the world's major religions together though. Most of them are just pure corrupted BS with almost no foundation on the truth, particularly Judaism, Islam, and Christianity.

ace23
06-07-2014, 01:45 PM
So what are you if not atheist? Pantheist?

nathanjizzle
06-07-2014, 02:14 PM
I don't believe in a god as the world is so messed up it simply can't be created by a perfect omnipresent god. I do believe in spirits, different realms, reincarnation, and most importantly enlightenment that can be obtained through meditation. I think we all have the answers deep within ourselves. I believe everything comes from within and that meditation/fasting is the key to unlocking it.

You don't have to cohesively bring all the world's major religions together though. Most of them are just pure corrupted BS with almost no foundation on the truth, particularly Judaism, Islam, and Christianity.

:facepalm

MadeFromDust
06-07-2014, 02:31 PM
You people are just blind if you can't see that God is real. Question: Do blind people go around questioning whether the grass is green or the sky is blue, saying that it's a figment of man's imagination?

secund2nun
06-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Derrick Rose :facepalm

nathanjizzle
06-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Derrick Rose :facepalm

is that suppose to hurt my feelings? :lol

gigantes
06-07-2014, 05:43 PM

excellent post.

i've been intrigued by comparative religion for a long time now, and i can see that you've reached some strong insights in to all this stuff. really nothing to argue with in terms of what you wrote, although of course, the process is never-ending.

meditation, reflection, yoga, peak biophysical experiences... all these and more are the tools available. karaoke and dancing, too!

myself, i've been coming to the realisation of how precious sangha is. i.e., more and more it just seems -not enough- to have friends and people to talk to. no, i think one needs the tribe... the tribe of peers striving in a deeply shared direction.

hmm... i'll prolly start attending buddhist and/or unitarian groups... see how that goes.

anyway, good luck and namaste.

nathanjizzle
06-07-2014, 06:16 PM
:oldlol: Last week I heard a chick vehemently defend Jackson Pollock; only to follow that up with the fact that she disliked Pollack until she took an art history and learned what his motivations were.

I hate people like that so much.

why do you hate a certain type of people? must be something deep.

TheGreatBlaze
06-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Jesus Christ is Lord.

gigantes
06-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Jesus Christ is Lord.
meh... he's more impressive handling a pogo stick.

http://raduque.com/images/jumpin_Jesus_pogo_stick.jpg

Take Your Lumps
06-07-2014, 07:57 PM
meh... he's more impressive handling a pogo stick.

http://raduque.com/images/jumpin_Jesus_pogo_stick.jpg

He was hanging around a bunch of dudes all the time...I'm sure he knows how to handle a stick.

Rodmantheman
06-07-2014, 08:38 PM
You people are just blind if you can't see that God is real. Question: Do blind people go around questioning whether the grass is green or the sky is blue, saying that it's a figment of man's imagination?

gigantes
06-07-2014, 08:44 PM
He was hanging around a bunch of dudes all the time...I'm sure he knows how to handle a stick.
and apparently there's a lot of clues left behind, especially in non-synoptic sources, that suggest dude was married.

nothing like going around healing lepers after porking the missus during brunch.

GimmeThat
06-07-2014, 11:14 PM
Ok ill humor this because i'm bored.

I don't practice all religions. The fact that you concluded that shows that you didn't understand much to what I had to say which isn't shocking at all based on your reputation, or lack thereof, on this board. I'm more on the side of universality of all religious/spiritual beliefs that man has created, and the metaphysics of it all, not so much I practice all religions, but rather the essence of it all when you tap into that "frequency" will bare the same fruit. Similarly, meditation does the same for you for that matter.

Lastly, i'm smarter then you so quit before you make a fool of yourself. The angle i'm looking at this is Aristotelian and what the function of a religion/deity/spiritual teaching is meant to DO for a human being, whereas your is simple and reducing it to the common perception of what higher power and what religious philosophy is as taught by followers. Think more, go deeper, finding the big picture answers that cohesively brings it all together. Come back to me when if your brain works.

Frequency of the essence of it all? So there are some religions where those who are truly devoted to it becomes nuns or monks, which means that they are committing themselves to a lifestyle in which they will never ever have sex.

If you are saying that becoming a nuns or monks isn't being committed to the essense of it all. Then you may as well say you are trying to create your own religion. Which of course, if you are practicing the essence of it all through medication, you are saying you have sexual desire sometimes, while other times you don't.

I guess old age and the lack of hormone helps. Because clearly, the lack of competitive edge in someone makes it quite easier to accept that others are right without having any belief in what is best for oneself.

Religions don't get you laid, and if after you had all the sex and retired and then want to change your worldly view because that it makes it so much easier for you to do. Yea, go for it.

What is this, a male retirment post menopause crisis you are having?

"I practice the essense of all religions after I have absolutely no sexual desire and have had kids"

Just because there's no future in your life doesn't mean preaching to others about the lack of ideal makes you smart

You can never get back to me when your d*ck works. so you know. Live Long and Prosper.

BigBoss
06-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Lol at this guy who took a class and changed his whole world-view.

:roll:

Exactly. It started there through phd professors.

BigBoss
06-07-2014, 11:26 PM
excellent post.

i've been intrigued by comparative religion for a long time now, and i can see that you've reached some strong insights in to all this stuff. really nothing to argue with in terms of what you wrote, although of course, the process is never-ending.

meditation, reflection, yoga, peak biophysical experiences... all these and more are the tools available. karaoke and dancing, too!

myself, i've been coming to the realisation of how precious sangha is. i.e., more and more it just seems -not enough- to have friends and people to talk to. no, i think one needs the tribe... the tribe of peers striving in a deeply shared direction.

hmm... i'll prolly start attending buddhist and/or unitarian groups... see how that goes.

anyway, good luck and namaste.

Cheers spiritual brother :cheers:

BigBoss
06-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Frequency of the essence of it all? So there are some religions where those who are truly devoted to it becomes nuns or monks, which means that they are committing themselves to a lifestyle in which they will never ever have sex.

If you are saying that becoming a nuns or monks isn't being committed to the essense of it all. Then you may as well say you are trying to create your own religion. Which of course, if you are practicing the essence of it all through medication, you are saying you have sexual desire sometimes, while other times you don't.

I guess old age and the lack of hormone helps. Because clearly, the lack of competitive edge in someone makes it quite easier to accept that others are right without having any belief in what is best for oneself.

Religions don't get you laid, and if after you had all the sex and retired and then want to change your worldly view because that it makes it so much easier for you to do. Yea, go for it.

What is this, a male retirment post menopause crisis you are having?

"I practice the essense of all religions after I have absolutely no sexual desire and have had kids"

Just because there's no future in your life doesn't mean preaching to others about the lack of ideal makes you smart

You can never get back to me when your d*ck works. so you know. Live Long and Prosper.

Didn't read. Just post padding.