PDA

View Full Version : Cavs interested in making David Blatt their next head coach?

All Net
06-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Via ESPN

Think going for a coach in Europe is the way forward?

All Net
06-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Cleveland Cavaliers are discussing their three options with the first overall pick with their head coaching candidates.

The Cavaliers want to be sure that the next head coach is on the same page as the front office in regards to the selection.

Joel Embiid, Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker are being considered by the Cavaliers

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2014/06/terrys_talkin_about_johnny_man.html

RedBlackAttack
06-07-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm completely enamored with this idea... to the point where this guy may be my dream choice for the spot. Talk about thinking outside the box?

For all that the Cavs did wrong in their last coaching search -- which was one interview, then a hire -- they're really doing their due diligence this time around and Blatt, to me, would be a terrific hire.

Here he is being interviewed following the European Championship win... he is really fascinating to listen to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exLt0VIlLxs

He's also allegedly in serious talks with GSW to become an assistant, but I would assume he'd be in Cleveland if we offered him the head coaching gig.

He's considered an offensive guru who gets the most out of his talent and is great at managing personalities.

Rubio2Gasol
06-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Would be a redeeming hire :applause:

Although, my only anxiety would be how Irving and Waiters respond to him. He's a very authoritarian figure, even moreso than Pop.

Maga_1
06-07-2014, 10:48 PM
This is quite interesting.

For me Blatt is one of the top coaches in Europe, and i'm not even saying that because he won the Euroleague this year.
He accomplishes things adapting to different styles and WAY different teams that he had all this years in Europe.

I'm kinda reticent with him dealing with super egos like Kyrie and Waiters. How would he deal with them (especially Kyrie being the star of the squad) it's a big question mark since the only "trouble guy" that he had in the past was Shved and he was benched a lot of times because of that.

He's an offensive juggernaut (sp?), he really knows how to take the best of his players.. it would be cool to watch them deal with NBA spacing.

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-07-2014, 10:51 PM
I'd approve of the hire, for all the reasons the peeps above me said.

Besides, at this point, Cavs may as well take a risk.

Milbuck
06-07-2014, 11:04 PM
If he can get the Irving-Waiters-TT-Embiid core to work offensively and develop well, that team is going to be incredible.

Oly BC
06-08-2014, 06:04 AM
I always admired his defence more (one of the few coaches that knows how to really employ the zone) but he's really good and actually smart. As he said in that video he does make more with less.

All Net
06-08-2014, 07:45 AM
If he can get the Irving-Waiters-TT-Embiid core to work offensively and develop well, that team is going to be incredible.
Indeed it's important they find the right coach.

Uncle Drew
06-08-2014, 07:56 AM
I don't think Embiid and TT fit each other well. Tristan would just take space for Embiid to operate, making it easier for other teams to double team. Bennett on the hand looks like a perfect fit. AB on the perimeter, knocking down 3's and Embiid dominating the paint on both ends. And I know it's a laughable statement after Bennett's season, but I still have faith in the guy. Dude slimmed down, working on his game. So hereby, I predict: Bennett will start the season over TT, who is more of an energy guy off the bench.

Kyrie/Dion/Ariza(?)/Bennett/Embiid it is

BoutPractice
06-08-2014, 08:06 AM
One of the best coaches in the world imo. He really knows his stuff, and is very adaptable. Most NBA coaches can't even manage one of those two.

DukeDelonte13
06-08-2014, 09:56 AM
he's intriguing because his faults aren't as in your face as other NBA retreads.

He has an amazing track record though.. I'm very intrigued.

I'd rather roll the dice on him than have Gentry or VDN.

All Net
06-08-2014, 10:02 AM
he's intriguing because his faults aren't as in your face as other NBA retreads.

He has an amazing track record though.. I'm very intrigued.

I'd rather roll the dice on him than have Gentry or VDN.
No way do you want vinny.

GimmeThat
06-08-2014, 10:04 AM
I think you draft Embiid if you are going to make a move like this.

You have Irving/Embiid who knows how to play the traditional roles well
then you let your Euro Coach really experiment mashing other players to make sure those two star players shine.

I just think you pick the Center if you are not going for a guard oriented coach.

RedBlackAttack
06-08-2014, 04:15 PM
I think you draft Embiid if you are going to make a move like this.

You have Irving/Embiid who knows how to play the traditional roles well
then you let your Euro Coach really experiment mashing other players to make sure those two star players shine.

I just think you pick the Center if you are not going for a guard oriented coach.
You pick Embiid regardless of the coach, because he's the best prospect in the draft.

Uncle Drew
06-08-2014, 05:49 PM
http://www.eurohoops.net/2014/06/dunks/50066

1. Damjan Rudez flies (9/6) to USA, in order to meet the management of the @cavs & have dinner with the GM & the team
2. According to sources the Croatian Forward of @Basket_Zaragoza is in advanced talks with the @cavs

Move to get Blatt?

DukeDelonte13
06-08-2014, 06:46 PM
http://www.eurohoops.net/2014/06/dunks/50066

1. Damjan Rudez flies (9/6) to USA, in order to meet the management of the @cavs & have dinner with the GM & the team
2. According to sources the Croatian Forward of @Basket_Zaragoza is in advanced talks with the @cavs

Move to get Blatt?

i wouldn't get your hopes up. Blatt seems like an interesting choice but i just think the chances of it happening are low. I don't think he's been interviewed or has an interview even scheduled.

Uncle Drew
06-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Allon Sinai @AllonSinai

-Lebron23-
06-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Excellent decision by the Cavs if true. I know in the States people may have the feeling that he is unproven and a risk but he is as much of a sure bet as it gets really.

Blatt is not a Messina type of guy who comes in with his style and makes his players adjust to it. He has a deep knowledge of pretty much all type of defenses and adjustments and does an amazing job of switching between them during games to fit different situations.

Some of the names that came up for that coaching gig were guys with too much of a traditional style IMO, which I don't really see working well with that roster. Blatt has had success before with 3-guard lineups as well as using stretch 4s for extended periods. More importantly, he coaches point guards extremely well, played point guard himself and seems to like having scoring point guards running his offense.

Personally, I am sure he will find success as an NBA coach.

DukeDelonte13
06-12-2014, 11:56 AM
whelp, Blatt allegedly had a phone interview with cleveland.

also allegedly, Blatt says he has received multiple offeres from various NBA teams.

Supposedly, Blatt is in the mix for either an assitant/consultant position for Golden State and Atlanta and in the mix for a HC gig (possibly, but unlikely considering Gentry has a second interview scheduled for tomorrow) in Cleveland.

We will find out soon enough.

Dr.J4ever
06-12-2014, 12:59 PM
whelp, Blatt allegedly had a phone interview with cleveland.

also allegedly, Blatt says he has received multiple offeres from various NBA teams.

Supposedly, Blatt is in the mix for either an assitant/consultant position for Golden State and Atlanta and in the mix for a HC gig (possibly, but unlikely considering Gentry has a second interview scheduled for tomorrow) in Cleveland.

We will find out soon enough.

Saw a Tweet from one of the ESPN guys that Blatt was interviewed by Israeli media, and he said he won't take an assistant coaching position. So it's HC or nothing.

TwentyThree
06-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Jason Lloyd says this has nothing to do with us :(

https://twitter.com/JasonLloydABJ/status/477120614676070400

EDIT: And Amico reports the same:https://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/status/477130353983778816

Meticode
06-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Interesting...

Uncle Drew
06-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Jason Lloyd says this has nothing to do with us :(

https://twitter.com/JasonLloydABJ/status/477120614676070400

EDIT: And Amico reports the same:https://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/status/477130353983778816

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA
David Blatt will announce he's leaving for NBA, but still talking w/ Warriors for top assistant and Cavs for head coaching job, sources say.

We still in dis.

Meticode
06-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Jason Lloyd with the Akron Beacon...

Cavs have previously discussed coaching job with David Blatt, but I'm told his announcement today does not pertain to them.

Lloyd is usually reliable, looks like it's not the Cavs? We'll find out in about an hour or so I guess.

Meticode
06-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Saw a Tweet from one of the ESPN guys that Blatt was interviewed by Israeli media, and he said he won't take an assistant coaching position. So it's HC or nothing.
We'll find out, Cavs camp is saying the annoucement isn't in reference to Cleveland, I don't know if he's interviewed for other head coaching positions, so it's either some team we don't know about or assistant at Golden State. Woj reports Minnesota was in the running for Blatt, but was concentrated on Golden State or Cleveland the most.

Meticode
06-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Apparently the new conference to announce he is officially leaving for the NBA, but he hasn't made a choice yet on where he's going. Looks like no decision today. Also the Cavs haven't offered Blatt anything officially.

TwentyThree
06-12-2014, 01:52 PM
I like this guy. Here's a few videos of him. He seems to take no sh*t from anyone, which would be perfect for this team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMa_5CZHars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlXPip1D1Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5SHSLOsjjE

Uncle Drew
06-12-2014, 01:59 PM
He seems to want the Cavs job. Make it happen Griffin.

NattyPButter
06-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I like this guy. Here's a few videos of him. He seems to take no sh*t from anyone, which would be perfect for this team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMa_5CZHars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlXPip1D1Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5SHSLOsjjE

Players would leave and probably not sign here. A strict coach that acts like a dick and disrespect players is not good. In russia yes...but the U.S no.

Uncle Drew
06-12-2014, 02:16 PM
David Pick @IAmDPick
Just asked Blatt to narrow down his options for me. "I need to meet with Cavaliers in person. Prob next week in US. Warriors opt too."

DukeDelonte13
06-12-2014, 02:20 PM
David Pick @IAmDPick
Just asked Blatt to narrow down his options for me. "I need to meet with Cavaliers in person. Prob next week in US. Warriors opt too."

nice.

All Net
06-12-2014, 02:51 PM
David Pick @IAmDPick
Interesting

Cavs over Warriors though as he would rather have head coach position I'm sure.

He will be a great pick up. Cavs could get good real soon.

DukeDelonte13
06-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Interesting

Cavs over Warriors though as he would rather have head coach position I'm sure.

He will be a great pick up. Cavs could get good real soon.

fingers are crossed. who knows what he wants. He never said he's hellbent on becoming an HC contrary to what some writers are saying. He may want to ease into the NBA and take a low key position first. It's not like there aren't a bunch of vacancies every single season.

RedBlackAttack
06-12-2014, 04:22 PM
This is my guy... watching tape of his innovative offensive philosophies and the way he seems to get the most out of his talent make him a very intriguing prospect.

Word is that we're down to three finalists... Blatt, Lue and Gentry. I'd probably rank them just like that, in terms of who I want. (1) Blatt, (2) Lue, (3) Gentry.

Let's do this.

RedBlackAttack
06-12-2014, 04:34 PM
fingers are crossed. who knows what he wants. He never said he's hellbent on becoming an HC contrary to what some writers are saying. He may want to ease into the NBA and take a low key position first. It's not like there aren't a bunch of vacancies every single season.

Here are the most recent tweets regarding Blatt...

David Pick
@IAmDPick
Spoke to David Blatt. Said he interviewed for Cavaliers head coach job via phone. Will talk with GM David Griffin again soon.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@WojYahooNBA
Warriors want Blatt for Kerr's staff, but uncertain how much longer they'll wait for Blatt to let head coaching process play out w/ Cavs.

Allon Sinai
@AllonSinai
Blatt says recent reports have been more or less accurate and that his decision regarding his destination will be made very shortly.

Steve Kyler
@stevekylerNBA
Hearing Cavs coaching process down to three guys -- Ty Lue, Alvin Gentry and David Blatt -- ownership will chime in on final hire.

@cavspdinsider
#Cavs will interview David Blatt next week, source says. Source also confirms Yahoo report of Tyronn Lue second interview Friday, and Gentry

It sounds like he is waiting for the Cavs to make him an offer before he commits. :applause:

DukeDelonte13
06-12-2014, 04:46 PM

David Pick
@IAmDPick
Spoke to David Blatt. Said he interviewed for Cavaliers head coach job via phone. Will talk with GM David Griffin again soon.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@WojYahooNBA
Warriors want Blatt for Kerr's staff, but uncertain how much longer they'll wait for Blatt to let head coaching process play out w/ Cavs.

Allon Sinai
@AllonSinai
Blatt says recent reports have been more or less accurate and that his decision regarding his destination will be made very shortly.

Steve Kyler
@stevekylerNBA
Hearing Cavs coaching process down to three guys -- Ty Lue, Alvin Gentry and David Blatt -- ownership will chime in on final hire.

@cavspdinsider
#Cavs will interview David Blatt next week, source says. Source also confirms Yahoo report of Tyronn Lue second interview Friday, and Gentry

It sounds like he is waiting for the Cavs to make him an offer before he commits. :applause:

yes. I'm not trying to get my hopes up.

He intrigues me, and i really don't want gentry or lue. However gentry and lue's experience in the NBA and specifically NBA personalities is a very important factor.

He's not babysitting any Kryie Irvings over in Israel. Hopefully the players will buy in and his approach won't be too abrasive.

He's going to be way more of a hard ass than MB or Byron.

RedBlackAttack
06-12-2014, 05:13 PM
yes. I'm not trying to get my hopes up.

He intrigues me, and i really don't want gentry or lue. However gentry and lue's experience in the NBA and specifically NBA personalities is a very important factor.

He's not babysitting any Kryie Irvings over in Israel. Hopefully the players will buy in and his approach won't be too abrasive.

He's going to be way more of a hard ass than MB or Byron.
I don't like the idea of not hiring the best possible coach because you're worried about having to "babysit" one of your young players. If Kyrie is that big of a problem, maybe we'd be best off just moving him? I really don't think he's as uncoachable as some have made it seem...

A little immature, sure, but most 21-22 year olds are... especially ones that have been coddled for years. Maybe the best thing for him would be a no-nonsense coach who doesn't want to hear any BS from these young guys.

DukeDelonte13
06-12-2014, 05:47 PM
I don't like the idea of not hiring the best possible coach because you're worried about having to "babysit" one of your young players. If Kyrie is that big of a problem, maybe we'd be best off just moving him? I really don't think he's as uncoachable as some have made it seem...

A little immature, sure, but most 21-22 year olds are... especially ones that have been coddled for years. Maybe the best thing for him would be a no-nonsense coach who doesn't want to hear any BS from these young guys.

it could be a maturity thing for sure, and Blatt could very well be the kick in the ass he needs. I agree with you on not picking a coach on dealing with kyrie's maturity issues.

OmniStrife
06-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Blatt has just announced that he's leaving MTA 'to pursue his childhood dream' via MTA Facebook page.

Meticode
06-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Jason Lloyd confirmed that Blatt is going to meet with the Cavs officially sometime next week. If he really wants a headcoaching job I'm suspecting he'll be the choice or he'll want to coach since all the other places he could go are assistant jobs.

Uncle Drew
06-13-2014, 02:49 PM
It's just Amico, but who cares?

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO
Source familiar with coaching search defines Cavs and David Blatt talks as "heating up."

Make it happen.

Meticode
06-13-2014, 02:52 PM
It's just Amico, but who cares?

Make it happen.
WEll it's pretty obvious they're heating up. Amico doesn't need to report that. The Cavs and Blatt haven't officially even met yet, they are going to meet sometime next week formally.

Meticode
06-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Just some updates on the Blatt situation from the Cavs camp. Officially Blatt will either be the Golden State assistant coach, or he's going to be the Cavs head coach. There's no other jobs on the table. The Cavs recently interviewed Mark Price recently and if Blatt signs on, Mark Price would probably be on the coaching staff as well as an assistant. Also it's stated if Blatt interviews well and the Cavs like what they see, they will offer him the position and if the rumors are true, Blatt prefers having a head coaching position over an assistant position.

Interview is sometime next week, I suspect we might have a new head coach next week.

I'm not sure on Blatt, I know he did some great things over in Europe and won the cup over there, but I'm not sure how the players will react to him. On one hand I think someone needs to come in and say "This is what needs to be done." Sort of a Coach Pop situation. On the other hand the players might totally turned off to that.

All Net
06-14-2014, 02:01 AM

David Pick
@IAmDPick

Adrian Wojnarowski
@WojYahooNBA

Allon Sinai
@AllonSinai

Steve Kyler
@stevekylerNBA

@cavspdinsider

Hopefully Cavs do the right thing and hire him.Not sure why they would hire any of the others over him to be honest.

RedBlackAttack
06-14-2014, 02:11 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic that the Cavs are leaning toward Blatt... and I think the way the Finals have played out may have helped his cause. They've shown that the NBA isn't all about talent, but maximizing your talent with an Xs and Os guy on the bench.

There is no better offensive mind available for the Cavs than Blatt.

Fact is, they could have hired Lue or Gentry by now. They're waiting for a reason and I don't think Blatt will disappoint in his interview this week. I'm hoping they sign him right on the spot.

irondarts
06-14-2014, 11:31 AM
It would be a nice, out of the box hire. I hope they do it. I like that NBA teams are hiring out of the box guys more (Quin Snyder, Joerger, Fisher, Kidd, etc.) and not just regurgitating the same old coaches anymore

franchise#3
06-14-2014, 11:47 AM
I would imagine the language barrier would be an issue. I know most europeans coaches can talk english, but they still have horrible accents. Can't see irving respecting someone like that.

Euroleague
06-14-2014, 11:50 AM
He's definitely a good coach, and by NBA standards, he would probably be very good.

But he is being MASSIVELY overrated by US sports media. "One of the two best coaches in Europe"....

:lol :oldlol: :roll:

:facepalm :rolleyes:

:biggums:

My god, these Marc Stein articles are absolutely ludicrous. This guy is the biggest hack sports writer in the whole world.

The articles last year about Gal Mekel, and now this bullshit about Blatt and Messina - this guy is absolutely HORRIBLE.

Meticode
06-14-2014, 11:55 AM
I would imagine the language barrier would be an issue. I know most europeans coaches can talk english, but they still have horrible accents. Can't see irving respecting someone like that.
You do realize that David Blatt is a Boston native right? There is no language barrier.

David Blatt team speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBVH707GzGY

Euroleague
06-14-2014, 11:55 AM

David Blatt is not European. He's American. If I remember right, he is from Boston, or somewhere like that.

Your comment is dumb as hell.

VIntageNOvel
06-14-2014, 12:05 PM
David Blatt is not European. He's American. If I remember right, he is from Boston, or somewhere like that.

Your comment is dumb as hell.

yo euroleague, trolling aside, i know youre one of few knowledgeable poster in this site

who's the best coach right now? is that pop?

who's the best euroleague coach right now?

and whos the best euroleague coach right now who is available for cavs?

GimmeThat
06-14-2014, 12:11 PM
It would be a nice, out of the box hire. I hope they do it. I like that NBA teams are hiring out of the box guys more (Quin Snyder, Joerger, Fisher, Kidd, etc.) and not just regurgitating the same old coaches anymore

I'd like to think that in this scenario we are thinking "out of the box hire" as in the box is a talent pool that is currently unexplored or familiarzied by the majority of the league.

I wouldn't consider Quin Snyder, Joerger, Fisher, Kidd, as "out of the box hire" because they've been in the NBA.

But then, I guess the other way of thinking "out of the box" would be to get someone to coach for your team, who had previously insisted that they wouldn't coach or have "retired".

Fiba basketball
06-14-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't know how much people here know about him but he isn't that strict of a coach. In fact he is a very relaxed person who has friendly relationship with his players and the media.

From what I heard his practices are very short and easy so in short the way NBA players are used to.

His teams don't always play good as espected during the season but when playoff comes they start playing much better which is the case with many great coaches.
He isn't that good of a tactical coach in my oppinion but the thing he is great at is feel for the game. He just knows when to call a time out, play small ball, make a subbstitution, change defense.

I think Clevland is very good fit for him because his game is almost always centered around a slashing pg and Irving is perfect for that role.

GimmeThat
06-14-2014, 12:16 PM
He's definitely a good coach, and by NBA standards, he would probably be very good.

But he is being MASSIVELY overrated by US sports media. "One of the two best coaches in Europe"....

:lol :oldlol: :roll:

:facepalm :rolleyes:

:biggums:

My god, these Marc Stein articles are absolutely ludicrous. This guy is the biggest hack sports writer in the whole world.

The articles last year about Gal Mekel, and now this bullshit about Blatt and Messina - this guy is absolutely HORRIBLE.

If I gave you the opportunity to write. Would you like a clean sheet of paper, or a paper that has been rolled up and tossed away.

Everyone is an artist to their own right, and everyone likes to paint a picture differently.

franchise#3
06-14-2014, 12:29 PM
My bad guys.

Meticode
06-14-2014, 12:33 PM
My bad guys.
:cheers:

chocolatethunder
06-14-2014, 12:34 PM
I don't know how much people here know about him but he isn't that strict of a coach. In fact he is a very relaxed person who has friendly relationship with his players and the media.

From what I heard his practices are very short and easy so in short the way NBA players are used to.

His teams don't always play good as espected during the season but when playoff comes they start playing much better which is the case with many great coaches.
He isn't that good of a tactical coach in my oppinion but the thing he is great at is feel for the game. He just knows when to call a time out, play small ball, make a subbstitution, change defense.

I think Clevland is very good fit for him because his game is almost always centered around a slashing pg and Irving is perfect for that role.

I'm not sure about that but I'll check. My friend plays for him on Maccabi. I'm gonna email him and see what he says.

Fiba basketball
06-14-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure about that but I'll check. My friend plays for him on Maccabi. I'm gonna email him and see what he says.

About what ? The practice part ?

I read that in a column of best basketball reporter in ex Yugoslavia and he got that from players that played for Baltt ( One even said he never practiced less than during his time in Maccabi )

chocolatethunder
06-14-2014, 04:50 PM

I read that in a column of best basketball reporter in ex Yugoslavia and he got that from players that played for Baltt ( One even said he never practiced less than during the his time in Maccabi )
haha yeah sorry I was in a rush. Yes about how he runs practice and that stuff.

B-hoop
06-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Seems like a nice fit for Cleveland, but they have to be patient if it doesn't start well.

Meticode
06-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Reports are that Blatt will meet with the Cave this Wednesday.

RedBlackAttack
06-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Reports are that Blatt will meet with the Cave this Wednesday.
Here's the Woj article released today...

The Cleveland Cavaliers plan to interview David Blatt for their head coaching job on Wednesday in Cleveland, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

One of the most successful European coaches of this era, Blatt resigned from his job as the championship coach of Maccabi Tel Aviv to pursue his longtime goal of coaching in the NBA.

Unless the Cavaliers move quickly to hire Blatt upon meeting him, there's a strong belief within the Golden State Warriors and some close to Blatt that he'll accept a job as Steve Kerr's top assistant. Kerr seems willing to give Blatt the opportunity to push his process with Cleveland into mid-week, but it's doubtful that Kerr will go much longer than that without pushing Blatt for a commitment, sources said.

Nevertheless, Blatt will fly to the United States to meet with Cavaliers officials about the job. Cleveland has narrowed its known field to three candidates, including Los Angeles Clippers assistant coaches Alvin Gentry and Tyronn Lue, but owner Dan Gilbert has continued to pursue high-profile college candidates in a far less public, far more clandestine process, sources said.

Blatt, 55, was born and raised in the United States, playing his college basketball for Pete Carill at Princeton before embarking on a hugely successful head coaching career overseas.

Blatt coached an undermanned Macabbi Tel Aviv to a dramatic upset victory over Real Madrid in the Euroleague championships. Blatt has had tremendous success across two decades overseas, winning the 2007 Eurobasket championship with Russia and a bronze medal in the 2012 London Olympics.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--david-blatt-will-interview-with-cavs-on-wednesday-200546634.html

It doesn't sound like the Cavs will have much time to weigh their options following the meeting. I'm hoping they offer him the job on the spot. If they let him walk out the door, he's probably going to end up in Golden State.

On paper, this looks like a perfect fit. Blatt's offense is all about slashing guards putting pressure on a defense and getting them in scramble mode. We have arguably the best young tandem of slashing guards in the league. I would also expect Karasev to explode in his system.

Defensively, his teams are aggressive, relying on 7-footers to protect the rim if it breaks down.

Kyrie/Embiid/Waiters/Bennett/Thompson/Karasev + Blatt = :applause:

Meticode
06-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Bumping this thread since it's buried after the Finals conclusion. The meeting is supposedly today, I hope to hear good news. I'd like them to get a head coach hired before the draft.

DukeDelonte13
06-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Bumping this thread since it's buried after the Finals conclusion. The meeting is supposedly today, I hope to hear good news. I'd like them to get a head coach hired before the draft.

i thought the meeting was tomorrow. I know they have wiggins coming in tomorrow as well.

Meticode
06-17-2014, 01:51 PM
i thought the meeting was tomorrow. I know they have wiggins coming in tomorrow as well.
I got my days mixed up, you're correct. In any case bump anyway. :oldlol: It's been a hard last week.

Meticode
06-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Any news on this? I saw Lloyd post an article about the meeting supposedly taking place today, but no details on what's happened. Nothing coming out from Cavs about Wiggins workout either. Maybe not until tomorrow?

hawksdogsbraves
06-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Doesn't sound especially promising for Blatt...

Meticode
06-18-2014, 11:25 PM
:(

RedBlackAttack
06-19-2014, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't totally scrap the idea despite those tweets. I get the feeling that he wants the Cavs to make a decision ASAP. That GSW job isn't going to stay open for him indefinitely. His livelihood is on the line, here.

With that perspective, it would make sense for his people to put out there that he's leaning toward GS, who has made it clear they want him as an assistant if he wants the job. By doing that, he is sending a message that the Cavs need to make a decision promptly.

There are also rumors swirling about a "mystery" coach now in the running for the Cavs job. Most are assuming it is one of the college guys, although they have floated out David Fizdale's name recenlty (Miami assistant).

Personally, I wish they'd just hire Blatt tomorrow. If they don't choose him by the end of the week, I'd assume he's out of the running and will likely take the GSW job.

Meticode
06-19-2014, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't totally scrap the idea despite those tweets. I get the feeling that he wants the Cavs to make a decision ASAP. That GSW job isn't going to stay open for him indefinitely. His livelihood is on the line, here.

With that perspective, it would make sense for his people to put out there that he's leaning toward GS, who has made it clear they want him as an assistant if he wants the job. By doing that, he is sending a message that the Cavs need to make a decision promptly.

There are also rumors swirling about a "mystery" coach now in the running for the Cavs job. Most are assuming it is one of the college guys, although they have floated out David Fizdale's name recenlty (Miami assistant).

Personally, I wish they'd just hire Blatt tomorrow. If they don't choose him by the end of the week, I'd assume he's out of the running and will likely take the GSW job.
Who's your next pick after Blatt? I want them to hire him as well, just as an outside the box type of deal.

RedBlackAttack
06-19-2014, 01:06 AM
Who's your next pick after Blatt? I want them to hire him as well, just as an outside the box type of deal.
Well, if we're to believe the three finalists are Blatt, Lue and Gentry, I'd rather have Lue over Gentry.

But, if we're including potential college coaches as the "mystery" candidates? I'm still hoping Billy Donovan is in the picture.

I'd rate them 1. Blatt, 2. Donovan, 3. Lue, 4. Gentry.

RedBlackAttack
06-19-2014, 01:12 AM
This Amico article just went up and, like I've been telling you guys, while I have little respect for him as a journalist, he's being fed information directly from the Cavs. He is basically what Windy and Lloyd used to be in terms of access.

Cavs Report: Wiggins impresses; coaching decision may be near

Some news and notes about the Cavaliers as we move closer to the NBA Draft, free agency, and perhaps a coaching hire:

-- Andrew Wiggins worked out for the Cavs on Wednesday, and sources said the Kansas swingman looked very good. That's not necessarily a surprise. Like KU center Joel Embiid and Duke forward Jabari Parker, there's a reason Wiggins is under consideration for the No. 1 overall pick.

-- Embiid worked out for the Cavs last week. Parker is in on Friday. The top overall pick remains wide open.

-- Despite the multiple reports, the 76ers have not made a concrete offer for the first pick. The Cavs, however, believe that will change between now and next Thursday.

-- Staying with the draft, the Cavs are exploring the idea of using their second-round pick (No. 33) as part of a package and moving up to nab another pick in the first round. Teams in the late first have been receptive to such a potential deal, sources said.

-- The Cavs interviewed David Blatt for the head-coaching position Wednesday. It was their first face-to-face talk with the former Maccabi Tel Aviv coach. According to sources, the interview went well. It's quite possible the Cavs will hire a new coach this weekend.

-- That said, the Cavs may still talk to Heat assistant David Fizdale before making a final call on the coach. Fizdale said he has not yet been contacted by the Cavs.

-- On the free-agent and trade front, the Cavs had previously ruled out a possible deal for Timberwolves star Kevin Love. They are, however, again considering making a run at him. Again, a lot would come down to Love's willingness to remain in Cleveland beyond next season.

-- Heat star LeBron James, who can opt out of his contract, is well aware of the Cavs' interest. James has not made any decisions and has not yet gotten into deep discussions with his people.

-- Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade, of course, can also opt out of their Heat contracts. It is believed at least Wade is likely to opt in. Either way, sources close to the situation believe the decisions of Wade and Bosh will not have an impact on what James decides.

-- Perhaps playing a bigger role will be James' wife, Savannah. Sources said Miami is not on the top of her wish list when it comes to places to live. San Diego and her hometown of Akron are said to be higher. Savannah does not want to live in New York, sources said.

-- James has heard the "Come Home LeBron" campaign from factions of Cavs fans, but it is believed no one could pull him back like the students of St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, his alma mater. As silly as it may sound, sources said if St. V supporters and kids started asking him to return, it would weigh on him heavily. "That school and those kids get to him," a source said.

-- In other coaching news, sources around the league believe former Cavs coach Byron Scott has emerged as the frontrunner for the Lakers' coaching job.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/cavs-report-wiggins-impresses-in-workout-coaching-decision-may-be-near-061814

If they do make a decision this weekend, I'd say it is very likely Blatt is the choice. If we go through Sunday and there is still no announcement, I'll assume he's not. This is encouraging news for the pro-Blatt camp, however.

GimmeThat
06-19-2014, 01:33 AM
Remember how the Mavs lost Deron Williams to the Nets?

Meticode
06-19-2014, 01:44 AM
What's your point?

RedBlackAttack
06-19-2014, 01:48 AM
... ?

All Net
06-19-2014, 05:57 AM
Hope Blatt is their man.

1~Gibson~1
06-19-2014, 09:20 AM
Let me just say that if the Cavs choose the less experienced coach whether it be T. Lue or Alvin Gentry.. I will be pissed.

From what ive been hearing David Blatt is a great coach, but sometimes Cleveland's front office decisions canbe questionabLe.

Euroleague
06-19-2014, 09:35 AM
yo euroleague, trolling aside, i know youre one of few knowledgeable poster in this site

who's the best coach right now? is that pop?

who's the best euroleague coach right now?

and whos the best euroleague coach right now who is available for cavs?

Best NBA coach is probably Popovich. He's very overrated though. Every single US sports writer and analyst takes that to "best coach in the world", which is just ridiculous.

Best coach in Euroleague for me would be Dusan Ivkovic.

Best Euroleague coach that is available right now? Hard to say. I mean, I'm not sure about availability issues.

The only reason Blatt and Messina are getting all this hype in US sports media is because CLEAR AS HELL they want to coach in the NBA, so they are doing everything they can to get to that point.

And so they are obviously just having their agents load the hell out of US media with this endless hype and bullshit, and pushing themselves like crazy and trying at every possible chance to push their names and go for every job.

I think Zeljko Obradovic is pretty damn aggressive in it also, because the last couple of years, he's been doing the same stuff.

All this "best coaches in Europe" bullshit just translates to, "guys with agencies that are paying us the most money to write fluff pieces".

The same as all the "Rubio is the next Maravich or Nash" articles, "Mirotic is the next Dirk", etc. crap that the same exact people have said similar such bullshit.

You know they are TOTALLY FULL OF SHIT, because for example, these ESPN articles have now called both Blatt and Messina, "offensive innovators" and said that they are coaches that are primarily known for the offense.

That's absolutely laughable, since they are almost 100% defense only coaches.

I'm not saying Blatt is a bad coach, he's a good coach and everything, but these articles and the stuff being said is just comical. It's almost like an intentional setup or something.

Like the NBA wants to bring some "elite Euroleague coaches" in and have them bust and fire them, and use it as more NBA gimmick marketing or something about best in the world, blah, blah, blah.

No one could possibly think Blatt or Messina are offensive innovators. They are purely nothing but defense coaches.

So already we see from NBA only fans tons of stuff about Blatt being said in NBA sites that is complete imaginary made up bullshit.

Euroleague
06-19-2014, 09:43 AM

You have to remember though that Blatt's whole coaching is on defense and stopping penetration and having guards that defend.

None of that happens in the NBA, where with the rules and refs, and just style of the game there is almost zero defense. Even these days in the NBA finals there is basically zero defense for the most part.

So basically every single thing Blatt does or knows as a coach is complete useless and gone from his style and system in the NBA. Which is totally defense based, despite what clowns at ESPN are claiming in saying he's an offensive guru.

So none of anything that teams like Russia or Maccabi did is going to work in an NBA team. It's simply impossible to do that in the NBA.

The closest thing to it would be the Bulls with Thibodeau, which would be his most similar coaching comparison, but the Cavs do not have the players like that for such a style, and someone like Irving is a horrific defender, even by NBA point guard standards.

And even then, what the Bulls do, only works to a certain point because of the NBA rules. Every year they eventually can't go past a certain point because playing as a defense first team isn't going to work in the NBA, which is fully an offense based league.

So the style he has is not what works in the NBA, and the players he has won't even work for his style, if he does coach the Cavs.

So you could not make any correlation to Maccabi, nor anything like that, which is what everyone is trying to do.

Euroleague
06-19-2014, 09:46 AM

I read that in a column of best basketball reporter in ex Yugoslavia and he got that from players that played for Baltt ( One even said he never practiced less than during his time in Maccabi )

He's an American coach. Americans only practice about 1/5 as much as Europeans do on average.

You are talking ex Yugoslavia mentality? It's almost like a boot camp. American coaches would never in their lives even imagine anything like it.

Pat Riley would be something like a tyrant by American coach standards in that regard, and the practices he would have his teams do would be less than pretty much any European coach.

Blatt didn't come up through European basketball or in Israel, he was playing in USA, so that's what he probably believes in, which means way, way, way less practicing.

Euroleague
06-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Here's the Woj article released today...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--david-blatt-will-interview-with-cavs-on-wednesday-200546634.html

It doesn't sound like the Cavs will have much time to weigh their options following the meeting. I'm hoping they offer him the job on the spot. If they let him walk out the door, he's probably going to end up in Golden State.

On paper, this looks like a perfect fit. Blatt's offense is all about slashing guards putting pressure on a defense and getting them in scramble mode. We have arguably the best young tandem of slashing guards in the league. I would also expect Karasev to explode in his system.

Defensively, his teams are aggressive, relying on 7-footers to protect the rim if it breaks down.

Kyrie/Embiid/Waiters/Bennett/Thompson/Karasev + Blatt = :applause:

Blatt actually hates 7 footers with an extreme passion. He only likes incredibly mobile and agile centers. Other than that, he strictly uses power forwards, even undersized power forwards at the 5 position.

He also often uses shooting guards and small forwards at the power forward position.

Using NBA slow, stiff, non athletic can't play any defense NBA 7 footers will be one of the things he will have to adjust to, and it would be one of the things he would hate the most about coaching in the NBA.

Of all the coaches that absolutely HATE a 7 footer the most, he is #1. Hell, even normal 6-10 guys, by normal I mean 6-10 with average power forward starter NBA athleticism, would be a guy he would usually not want to play because they are too slow for his liking.

BoutPractice
06-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Euroleague > That's also why he probably has a higher chance of succeeding than the average European coach. It's not just about how good you are... if there's too big a clash of personality/culture, a coaching experiment can fail horribly even with a very intelligent and hardworking coach.

If I'm primarily interested in results, I'd much rather have a decent coach who fits than a genius who will alienate the whole team in two weeks and have players asking for his head.

Euroleague
06-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Plain Dealer:

Blatt, a Massachusetts native who played for Pete Carril at Princeton, led Maccabi Tel Aviv to a 54-18 record this past season

But according to ALL NBA only fans in this forum, Euroleague teams only play like 10-20 games in an entire season.

And if you ever tell them that's absurd bullshit, and just another made up NBA only fan myth and untrue legend, they attack you and call you a nutcase and a liar......

Euroleague
06-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Let me just say that if the Cavs choose the less experienced coach whether it be T. Lue or Alvin Gentry.. I will be pissed.

From what ive been hearing David Blatt is a great coach, but sometimes Cleveland's front office decisions canbe questionabLe.

What you are hearing is NBA hype and bullshit gimmick marketing. The typical same bullshit as always as it relates to everything from the Euroleague.

Just all about gimmick marketing schemes and NBA bullshit.

He's not a great coach by a very long shot. But he would be a much better choice than Lue by a country mile and then some.

He would also be a better choice than Gentry, but he's going to need time to adapt to the NBA, because his style of coaching is never going to work in the NBA, where defense is negated with the rules and reffing.

So he has to start things completely over with his style, and the Cavs are a complete opposite team from any team he ever had success with.

In Europe, when he coached teams like the Cavs that are more traditional, he was an epic failure.

For example, he coached teams like Dynamo Moscow, Efes, and Aris, that were built as more traditional style teams (like the Cavs) than Maccabi or the Russian national team, and his failure was EPIC. I mean EPIC failure.

So he would need huge adjustments with the Cavs, and he could not just change the team to his system, because that won't work in the NBA, as I have already explained. All of that takes time, and he will need time to get used to all the issues of the NBA.

The reffing is much different and the travel, the scheduling, all of it.

So even though he is a better coach than Gentry, it's not like he's going to be a more logical choice than Gentry. It's obviously more of an experiment if they hire him.

Guys like Messina and Quinn Snyder being hired by NBA teams...that makes more sense. Because while they coached in Europe, they also coached in NBA.

I mean Scott Skiles coached in Europe too, but he had NBA experience before he coached in NBA obviously as a player.

I don't think this stuff would matter that much if Blatt really was "a great coach" like they are claiming, but he's not at THAT level. If he had a year or two as an assistant in the NBA, then it would make a lot more sense to hire him over Gentry.

BoutPractice
06-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Depends on what the Cavs' long term plan is, but the more I think about it, the more I think their priorities would be to select someone who:
- is Embiid-friendly, giving him opportunities to blossom
- is defensive minded
- stresses a team game
- has enough authority to be able to limit shotjacking by Kyrie and Dion and force them to play at least a bit harder on defense without causing a war

Not sure who would tick all the boxes.

Euroleague
06-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Euroleague > That's also why he probably has a higher chance of succeeding than the average European coach. It's not just about how good you are... if there's too big a clash of personality/culture, a coaching experiment can fail horribly even with a very intelligent and hardworking coach.

If I'm primarily interested in results, I'd much rather have a decent coach who fits than a genius who will alienate the whole team in two weeks and have players asking for his head.

Dominique said he could not stand the practice of coach Malkovich at Panathinaikos. It was so extreme that he needed an oxygen tank to keep from passing out.

Finally he had to go to the doctor and get a not that he could not do the practices anymore because it was a health hazard.

In USA, he was like no practice was even difficult. The coach got angry about it and said NBA stars were weak minded and lazy or something like that.

So yeah, obviously some European coaches would never work in the NBA, because that kind of mentality just isn't seen in the same way in US sports culture.

NBA players are not used to training and practicing twice a day for hours on end, day after day after, every day, non stop, in a navy seal boot camp environment.

Which is what some of the European coaches demand.

Just the other day there was a story about Panathinaikos' new coach Ivanovic, where one of his old players said that he made Scola beg him to stop the training he was so tired and exhausted, and he showed no mercy and made him do an entire whole training more by HIMSELF after the team went home.

Same Scola that all his NBA coaches say is the hardest worker, most tireless worker, hardest worker in practice....they weer saying how he couldn't even handle the practice of that European coach.

So yeah, naturally this is an issue that some of the coaches in Europe can't come to the NBA, since they are too demanding on the players.

Euroleague
06-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Depends on what the Cavs' long term plan is, but the more I think about it, the more I think their priorities would be to select someone who:
- is defensive minded
- stresses a team game
- has enough authority to be able to limit shotjacking by Kyrie and Dion and force them to play at least a bit harder on defense without causing a war

Blatt could in theory, but I really think he prefers a much more athletic and versatile team.

Russian national team and Maccabi were super, super athletic and super, super versatile teams. That's how they had success with what he is looking to do in his coaching philosophy.

I just think how he coached teams like Dynamo Moscow, Efes, and Aris that all had large budgets, and very good players in Europe, but were based with traditional rosters (teams he inherited and did not build) and he was a complete disaster with all of those teams.

Before he was coaching Maccabi, he coached in the Greek League with Aris, and they had a big budget then, with a lot of very good players and the team was a complete disaster.

He was running from Aris, and took a big pay cut to get to Maccabi, just because he was doing so bad in Aris. And after he did that - after the team bombed and then he quit on it, the ownership jumped from the team and it almost bankrupted the whole club. And that was after he bombed in Efes.

I can't remember him having any real success at all with any teams other than the ones he was allowed to build himself.

Uncle Drew
06-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski‏@WojYahooNBA
David Blatt has emerged as strong frontrunner to become coach of Cleveland Cavaliers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Uncle Drew
06-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Cavaliers had narrowed list to Blatt and Clippers assistant Tyronn Lue, sources said. Offer to Blatt is imminent, league sources tell Yahoo.

1~Gibson~1
06-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Please choose Blatt :bowdown:

Uncle Drew
06-19-2014, 05:22 PM
No idea if this is reliable:

Sports Update @MySportsUpdate

chips93
06-19-2014, 06:04 PM
- is defensive minded
- stresses a team game

id think hollins ticks the first two, considering how post up orientated, and defensive minded the grizzles were. and gentry ticks the last two. either of them would be good.

i like all the names linked with the job (aside from VDN obviously), although id be a bit wary that kyrie and dion wouldnt really respect blatt, since he has no nba experience.

Fiba basketball
06-19-2014, 06:18 PM
You have to remember though that Blatt's whole coaching is on defense and stopping penetration and having guards that defend.

None of that happens in the NBA, where with the rules and refs, and just style of the game there is almost zero defense. Even these days in the NBA finals there is basically zero defense for the most part.

So basically every single thing Blatt does or knows as a coach is complete useless and gone from his style and system in the NBA. Which is totally defense based, despite what clowns at ESPN are claiming in saying he's an offensive guru.

So none of anything that teams like Russia or Maccabi did is going to work in an NBA team. It's simply impossible to do that in the NBA.

The closest thing to it would be the Bulls with Thibodeau, which would be his most similar coaching comparison, but the Cavs do not have the players like that for such a style, and someone like Irving is a horrific defender, even by NBA point guard standards.

And even then, what the Bulls do, only works to a certain point because of the NBA rules. Every year they eventually can't go past a certain point because playing as a defense first team isn't going to work in the NBA, which is fully an offense based league.

So the style he has is not what works in the NBA, and the players he has won't even work for his style, if he does coach the Cavs.

So you could not make any correlation to Maccabi, nor anything like that, which is what everyone is trying to do.

You forget one thing, PGs in NBA are mostly scorers and aren't good at running the offense and Blatt being a great defensive coach will find a way to make them to be even worse at it.

When it comes to offense I think his style is better for NBA rules because he likes to play with athletic, undersized players.

Blatt actually hates 7 footers with an extreme passion. He only likes incredibly mobile and agile centers. Other than that, he strictly uses power forwards, even undersized power forwards at the 5 position.

He also often uses shooting guards and small forwards at the power forward position.

Using NBA slow, stiff, non athletic can't play any defense NBA 7 footers will be one of the things he will have to adjust to, and it would be one of the things he would hate the most about coaching in the NBA.

Of all the coaches that absolutely HATE a 7 footer the most, he is #1. Hell, even normal 6-10 guys, by normal I mean 6-10 with average power forward starter NBA athleticism, would be a guy he would usually not want to play because they are too slow for his liking.

He can always trade players or sign some players from Europe like Hines so to play C.

Euroleague
06-20-2014, 02:51 PM
You forget one thing, PGs in NBA are mostly scorers and aren't good at running the offense and Blatt being a great defensive coach will find a way to make them to be even worse at it.

When it comes to offense I think his style is better for NBA rules because he likes to play with athletic, undersized players.

He can always trade players or sign some players from Europe like Hines so to play C.

No, because NBA rules prevent that. NBA rules prevent changing the way any NBA point guard plays. Blatt will have no effect on that. Which is my point.

He won't be able to bring in a a bunch of 6-8 and 6-9 centers, because he wont be allowed to also be the GM of the Cavs. NBA teams don't let coaches do that, like they do in European teams. Which is my point about how he never did well in any of the teams that he did not build himself.

But he has a long contract so maybe the Cavs already expecting to be terrible for a long time and they are prepared for it.