PDA

View Full Version : Jordan took himself out of Game 4 of the 1997 NBA Finals due to cramping.

k0kakw0rld
06-07-2014, 10:53 PM
source (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/06/michael-jordan-left-an-nba-finals-game-due-to-cramps-too/)

I apologize if a thread was already made about this.

Nuff Said
06-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Apology accepted.

J Shuttlesworth
06-07-2014, 10:56 PM
I forgive you, bro.

LeBron's gonna come back w/ a flu-game like performance :bowdown:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Chicago won that game 90-88 and Jordan scored 38 points (15 in the 4th quarter)

k0kakw0rld
06-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Apology accepted.
Appreciate it be blessed.

the GOAT took himself out, in a finals game. NOW WHAT? Bulls lost the game but won the series. LeBron and Heat lost game 1 but people are acting like the series is over. :facepalm. HYPOCRITES, everybody needs to shut the **** up once and for all.

MJ is BETA for that too fvck him lol he can not be the GOAT because Kareem never took himself out of a game did he? No. He is the GOAT nuff said! shoutout to my niqqa Nuff Said :cheers:

k0kakw0rld
06-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Chicago won that game 90-88 and Jordan scored 38 points (15 in the 4th quarter)
That's not the same game cause Jazz won game 4. You fraud!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZwFHNmA6rg Proof now get the fvck out. You have nothing to say now B!tch

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-07-2014, 11:05 PM
That's not the same game cause Jazz won game 4. You fraud!

Nope. Via one of the comments below that article, according to Mike, the “flu game” and “gatorload” were...in the same game.

Per "For the Love of the Game", apparently they were trying to hydrate him at halftime when the trainers mistakenly gave him gatorload to make his condition worse.

andgar923
06-07-2014, 11:05 PM
source (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/06/michael-jordan-left-an-nba-finals-game-due-to-cramps-too/)

Should apologize for posting fud.

k0kakw0rld
06-07-2014, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=kuniva_dAMiGhTy]Nope. Via one of the comments below that article, according to Mike, the

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-07-2014, 11:09 PM
wrong!

You are answering a post according to a comment you saw online?

Well, no. I am going by what Jordan said in his book. :oldlol:

I also remember reading that he had cramps during the "flu game". Anything else, tiger?

Legends66NBA7
06-07-2014, 11:10 PM
wrong!

You are answering a post according to a comment you saw online?

That's why were on a message board.

poido123
06-07-2014, 11:15 PM

The fact that you went googling the internet to find this is hilarious :lol

That article doesn't stipulate "the time" that he sat out, nor does it state what type of cramps they were. :oldlol:

Basically, they just tryed to match up what MJ did with Lebron's circumstance, while leaving out facts :lol

Here's an article that states the part where JORDAN CAME BACK INTO THE GAME.

http://standingosports.com/main/2014/06/06/michael-jordan-cramp-game-nba-finals/

[I]"Jordan went on to return to the game but it was too little to late. The Jazz went on to win the game 78-73. People love to hate LeBron, but let

DonDadda59
06-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Jordan played 42 minutes that game, homie.

D-Rose
06-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Wait, wait, waaaaaaait. The person who wrote about this in his MJ bio was Roland Lazenby. One of the GREATEST NBA writers/biographers of all time.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Deleted my previous post.. Apparently the entire Bulls team took "gatorlode" and had stomach cramps in Gm 4... In Gm 5, however, one of the Bulls trainers mistakenly gave Mike another cup of "gatorlode" which explains why, in his book, said that he had cramps...during his "flu game".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz57opP2-oA (read description)

Either way, dude still finished both games. :confusedshrug:

atljonesbro
06-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Jordan played 42 minutes that game, homie.
Excuses for Jordan but hating on Bron? Typical for Jordan stans. Hypocritical and insecure.

Nuff Said
06-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Wtf is gatorlode?

poido123
06-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Wtf is gatorlode?

It's a carb loaded drink essentially. Like consuming a bag of potatoes instead of hydrating.

It mentions it in the articles.

Legends66NBA7
06-07-2014, 11:33 PM
Wtf is gatorlode?

http://www.trademarkia.com/gatorlode-highenergy-carbohydrate-drink-mix-73783969.htmll

DonDadda59
06-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Excuses for Jordan but hating on Bron? Typical for Jordan stans. Hypocritical and insecure.

How is playing 42 minutes and finishing the game with a cramp an 'excuse'? He played the very next game with a 103 fever and more cramps apparently.

Hell, looking at it now. Looks like the '97 finals might just be one of the greatest displays of mental and physical toughness by the GOAT.

Game 1- hits the buzzer beater to win the game for the Bulls.
Game 4- Plays 42 minutes and finishes the game with stomach cramps.
Game 5- Has the flu (or food poisoning according to some sources), plays through a 103 fever and cramps to win the game for the Bulls down the stretch.

Godly :bowdown:

Nuff Said
06-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Ok thanks!

buddha
06-07-2014, 11:36 PM
an entire article just to wrap up with this

"Was Jordan mentally tougher than LeBron? Probably."

and then act like that wasn't the point in calling LeBron a ***** to begin with. ****ing neckbeards, when will they learn.

poido123
06-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Another thread exposed and another lame attempt to diminish Jordan and prop up Lebron.

When are you kids gonna stop throwing yourself in the fire? You're gonna get burnt.

:oldlol:

Da_Realist
06-08-2014, 12:31 AM
How is playing 42 minutes and finishing the game with a cramp an 'excuse'? He played the very next game with a 103 fever and more cramps apparently.

Hell, looking at it now. Looks like the '97 finals might just be one of the greatest displays of mental and physical toughness by the GOAT.

Game 1- hits the buzzer beater to win the game for the Bulls.
Game 4- Plays 42 minutes and finishes the game with stomach cramps.
Game 5- Has the flu (or food poisoning according to some sources), plays through a 103 fever and cramps to win the game for the Bulls down the stretch.

Godly :bowdown:

Game 2- 38 pts, 13 rebs, 9 asts 55 fg% :rockon:

Plus he almost won game 4 near the end, but John Stockton played the best 5 mins of his life to tie the series.

inclinerator
06-08-2014, 12:33 AM
yea he finished the game but it was stomach cramps, not leg cramps where u cant walk

J Shuttlesworth
06-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Ok so he came back with a stomach cramp, but he still called out of the game.

2 days ago, idiots were saying "Jordan would never ask the coach to get a rest in a finals game" at least we can put that to rest now.

DonDadda59
06-08-2014, 12:55 AM
Another thread exposed and another lame attempt to diminish Jordan and prop up Lebron.

When are you kids gonna stop throwing yourself in the fire? You're gonna get burnt.

buh buh buh it's all a myth doe.

Dumb kids acting like the 90s was Ancient Troy and shit.

poido123
06-08-2014, 01:04 AM
yea he finished the game but it was stomach cramps, not leg cramps where u cant walk

You guys are clutching :oldlol:

I mean, reaaaaaaaaaallllly clutching :oldlol:

Jordan came back on, Lebron didn't.

Let's not go down the road of arguing which cramp is worse :oldlol:

J Shuttlesworth
06-08-2014, 01:07 AM
You guys are clutching :oldlol:

I mean, reaaaaaaaaaallllly clutching :oldlol:

Jordan came back on, Lebron didn't.

Let's not go down the road of arguing which cramp is worse :oldlol:
lol

This whole thread is irrelevant unless people really think that playing w/ leg cramps is a smart move. Several professional athletes including football players have talked about how frustrating leg cramps can be in a game, and isn't something you can play through.

But I just find it hard to believe that you don't see how a leg cramp could affect a player differently than a stomach cramp.

And i really don't see what the point of LeBron coming back would be. The game was virtually over, and you really don't want to risk injuring your best player for the rest of the series.

PistonsFan#21
06-08-2014, 01:12 AM
Deleted my previous post.. Apparently the entire Bulls team took "gatorlode" and had stomach cramps in Gm 4... In Gm 5, however, one of the Bulls trainers mistakenly gave Mike another cup of "gatorlode" which explains why, in his book, said that he had cramps...during his "flu game".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz57opP2-oA (read description)

Either way, dude still finished both games. :confusedshrug:

stomach cramps...:oldlol:
Those are mild stuff compared to full body or leg cramps

GimmeThat
06-08-2014, 01:14 AM

Lebron King James, why didn't you choke your coach to get back into the game?

:confusedshrug:

poido123
06-08-2014, 01:17 AM
lol

This whole thread is irrelevant unless people really think that playing w/ leg cramps is a smart move. Several professional athletes including football players have talked about how frustrating leg cramps can be in a game, and isn't something you can play through.

But I just find it hard to believe that you don't see how a leg cramp could affect a player differently than a stomach cramp.

And i really don't see what the point of LeBron coming back would be. The game was virtually over, and you really don't want to risk injuring your best player for the rest of the series.

We cannot prove either way how bad the cramps were though. I have had leg cramps playing basketball and i was able to play on. Some lock up badly, some just go away within a few seconds. I don't know what it's like to have a bottle of gatorload when I'm running a 103 degree fever either.

All I know is, I would of tried to stretch that btch out and get back on the court as quick as possible. That game was winnable within a few minutes of that injury.

Did you just say there was no reason to bring Lebron back after cramping? Wasn't it a 2 point game when he locked up?

J Shuttlesworth
06-08-2014, 01:20 AM
We cannot prove either way how bad the cramps were though. I have had leg cramps playing basketball and i was able to play on. Some lock up badly, some just go away within a few seconds. I don't know what it's like to have a bottle of gatorload when I'm running a 103 degree fever either.

All I know is, I would of tried to stretch that btch out and get back on the court as quick as possible. That game was winnable within a few minutes of that injury.

Did you just say there was no reason to bring Lebron back after cramping? Wasn't it a 2 point game when he locked up?
That 2 point lead went up to 8 like 30 seconds after he sat. The dude couldn't walk... That's not the same issue Jordan had. I've had leg cramps where I couldn't imagine even playing Horse.

They're not going to throw him back in the second he exits the game. He obviously needed a breather. Apparently he asked to go back in, but obviously a player who can barely walk will be a liability on defense, and risk injury for the rest of the series. I mean we saw how bad he was limping as soon as he went for a layup when he got back in the game.

poido123
06-08-2014, 01:32 AM
That 2 point lead went up to 8 like 30 seconds after he sat. The dude couldn't walk... That's not the same issue Jordan had. I've had leg cramps where I couldn't imagine even playing Horse.

They're not going to throw him back in the second he exits the game. He obviously needed a breather. Apparently he asked to go back in, but obviously a player who can barely walk will be a liability on defense, and risk injury for the rest of the series. I mean we saw how bad he was limping as soon as he went for a layup when he got back in the game.

3:28 left it was a 5 point game

1:47 left it was a 4 point game.

If he had of come back on with 1:47 left on the clock, that is 4 minutes(with breaks in play) since the original lockup of his leg.

He most definately should of tried to come on at around 1:47.

J Shuttlesworth
06-08-2014, 01:36 AM
3:28 left it was a 5 point game

1:47 left it was a 4 point game.

If he had of come back on with 1:47 left on the clock, that is 4 minutes(with breaks in play) since the original lockup of his leg.

He most definately should of tried to come on at around 1:47.
Meh I really don't think it's worth risking your best player. If he had stomach cramps, I could see the argument since you can still get around the court... you just have the risk of puking. Trying to jump on leg cramps could actually cause serious injury, especially in extreme heat. I don't blame Spo for telling him he's not coming back in. If you saw the way he was limping after driving by Diaw, it's obvious he would be a liability on defense had he come back in.

Bandito
06-08-2014, 01:40 AM
You people are still talking about this.

poido123
06-08-2014, 01:48 AM
Meh I really don't think it's worth risking your best player. If he had stomach cramps, I could see the argument since you can still get around the court... you just have the risk of puking. Trying to jump on leg cramps could actually cause serious injury, especially in extreme heat. I don't blame Spo for telling him he's not coming back in. If you saw the way he was limping after driving by Diaw, it's obvious he would be a liability on defense had he come back in.

We comparing cramps now? :oldlol:

Jordan at least came back on the court to help the team.

LOL at you trying to explain what a stomach cramp mixed with running a fever is like. :oldlol:

He was limping because his leg calf or leg locked up from cramp. That shit should go away within seconds, if not minutes(hence why I said he should of come back with 1.47 on the clock).

He acted like he tore his calf or achilles and we all know he didn't.

J Shuttlesworth
06-08-2014, 01:54 AM
He was limping because his leg calf or leg locked up from cramp. That shit should go away within seconds, if not minutes(hence why I said he should of come back with 1.47 on the clock).

He was limping before the Diaw drive. He obviously made it worse when he went in for the layup, and that's when he could barely walk. Even if his cramp had gone away (which we don't know for certain) you can re-aggravate it by doing shit like jumping/running. I'm not really sure why people think he'd want to sit out the rest of the game if he wasn't hurt.

poido123
06-08-2014, 02:06 AM
He was limping before the Diaw drive. He obviously made it worse when he went in for the layup, and that's when he could barely walk. Even if his cramp had gone away (which we don't know for certain) you can re-aggravate it by doing shit like jumping/running. I'm not really sure why people think he'd want to sit out the rest of the game if he wasn't hurt.

He had the onset of the cramping before the Diaw drive and then it locked up on the following play.

I have played sport my whole life and there is no way that a leg cramp lasts longer than 5 minutes. He should of stretched it out on the sidelines with the trainers and got straight back in within a few minutes.

Guys get knocks all the time in a game. Unless your dead, you should get back out there and play if its finals, particularly if you're the leader and best player on the planet.

I understand if you guys are disappointed by what he did(or lack thereof), but don't make excuses for it.

With cramps, you can lock up again if you try to play through it, but you won't get injured.

He apparently asked Spo to go back in, but the coach said no. Should of insisted to get back on...

D-Rose
06-08-2014, 02:09 AM
He had the onset of the cramping before the Diaw drive and then it locked up on the following play.

I have played sport my whole life and there is no way that a leg cramp lasts longer than 5 minutes. He should of stretched it out on the sidelines with the trainers and got straight back in within a few minutes.

Guys get knocks all the time in a game. Unless your dead, you should get back out there and play if its finals, particularly if you're the leader and best player on the planet.

I understand if you guys are disappointed by what he did(or lack thereof), but don't make excuses for it.

With cramps, you can lock up again if you try to play through it, but you won't get injured.

He apparently asked Spo to go back in, but the coach said no. Should of insisted to get back on...

The thing is that, your body is not the same as LeBron's body. The guy is 6'9 and moves like the fastest guys in the league. His muscles are incredibly dense. He has a long history of cramps affecting him. Cramps actually have a genetic disposition, so that may be in play. He clearly could barely walk, what in the world was he supposed to do? All of your suggestions are unrealistic.

I have read/seen lots of MD/Physios that have all explained the physiology of this and it made sense why he couldn't continue on the court. I think I'll take an MD's opinion on this.

J Shuttlesworth
06-08-2014, 02:12 AM

I agree he should've been stretched, but as you said, we didn't know the severity of the cramp, or the situation. If the reports that he was still limping the next day are true, then it was obviously pretty damn bad. I just don't see why people seem to insist that he should've been back in when he was obviously having problems with the temperature and had a severe leg cramp on top of that. I mean this guy has played more minutes than any other player in the last 4 years. I doubt that he sat out unless he didn't feel physically able to play.

poido123
06-08-2014, 02:13 AM
The thing is that, your body is not the same as LeBron's body. The guy is 6'9 and moves like the fastest guys in the league. His muscles are incredibly dense. He has a long history of cramps affecting him. Cramps actually have a genetic disposition, so that may be in play. He clearly could barely walk, what in the world was he supposed to do? All of your suggestions are unrealistic.

I have read/seen lots of MD/Physios that have all explained the physiology of this and it made sense why he couldn't continue on the court. I think I'll take an MD's opinion on this.

I'm not blaming him for getting cramps, I'm blaming him for not at least getting back on there. Rub some "deep heat" in the leg and get back on.

This is the finals.

poido123
06-08-2014, 02:15 AM
I agree he should've been stretched, but as you said, we didn't know the severity of the cramp, or the situation. If the reports that he was still limping the next day are true, then it was obviously pretty damn bad. I just don't see why people seem to insist that he should've been back in when he was obviously having problems with the temperature and had a severe leg cramp on top of that. I mean this guy has played more minutes than any other player in the last 4 years. I doubt that he sat out unless he didn't feel physically able to play.

That's the part that bothers me.

They took him straight to the medical room instead of treating him on the side of the court and try to get him out there ASAP.

He was actually asking Spo if he can get back on around the 3 minute mark, Spo said no and Lebron didn't insist...

D-Rose
06-08-2014, 02:15 AM
I'm not blaming him for getting cramps, I'm blaming him for not at least getting back on there. Rub some "deep heat" in the leg and get back on.

This is the finals.
It's obviously not that simple. Again, the doctor & physical therapists I saw on tv/read ALL said he could not and should not have went back in. End of story.

What's the big deal? Are you really this insecure about MJ? Who cares? It's an internet message board. Most of the people on here are trolling anyway. And besides, Michael freakin' Jordan doesn't need you to defend him, I think his resume can do all the talking....so save yourself the time and energy!

chris02jammers
06-08-2014, 02:17 AM
yeah... take that haters

poido123
06-08-2014, 02:24 AM
It's obviously not that simple. Again, the doctor & physical therapists I saw on tv/read ALL said he could not and should not have went back in. End of story.

What's the big deal? Are you really this insecure about MJ? Who cares? It's an internet message board. Most of the people on here are trolling anyway. And besides, Michael freakin' Jordan doesn't need you to defend him, I think his resume can do all the talking....so save yourself the time and energy!

I appreciate your efforts to win a popularity contest here, but you're wrong. The doctors or whoever suggested he shouldn't go back in will always take a very conservative approach to pro athletes like basketball players. Millions of dollars at stake, industry relies on stars to be healthy.

I'm not saying to ignore doctor's advice all the time, but on occasions like these you are obligated to make small risks for the team and star players of years past would go back in and play in the same situation.

I think the finals is one of them.

HoopsFanNumero1
06-08-2014, 03:03 AM
Why did Jordan miss so many games when he broke his foot? When didn't he just "tough it out" and return the next game :confusedshrug:

k0kakw0rld
06-08-2014, 03:05 AM
I appreciate your efforts to win a popularity contest here, but you're wrong. The doctors or whoever suggested he shouldn't go back in will always take a very conservative approach to pro athletes like basketball players. Millions of dollars at stake, industry relies on stars to be healthy.

I'm not saying to ignore doctor's advice all the time, but on occasions like these you are obligated to make small risks for the team and star players of years past would go back in and play in the same situation.

I think the finals is one of them.
So you are telling me that you are willing to destroy you pro career and potentially destroy your team's chance at winning a championship ? Cause you wanna show heart? Get the fvck outta here. Dude you have he opportunity to rest your body for 3 days. No way heat were to win with a one leg LeBron. He will be 100% for game 2. He wasnt a must win game for them + Captain Wade played like a bitch after Bron left the game.

poido123
06-08-2014, 03:23 AM
Why did Jordan miss so many games when he broke his foot? When didn't he just "tough it out" and return the next game :confusedshrug:

Broken foot = leg cramp

:roll:

poido123
06-08-2014, 03:31 AM
So you are telling me that you are willing to destroy you pro career and potentially destroy your team's chance at winning a championship ? Cause you wanna show heart? Get the fvck outta here. Dude you have he opportunity to rest your body for 3 days. No way heat were to win with a one leg LeBron. He will be 100% for game 2. He wasnt a must win game for them + Captain Wade played like a bitch after Bron left the game.

Every time you step on the court, you are arguably risking your career by injury. You are NEVER safe from an injury occurring, which is why I pointed out there is a small risk of Lebron incurring an injury after the cramp.

Now, we don't know how bad the cramp was and we can't assume the doctors weren't making a very cautious call.

What I do know is, Lebron asked Spo to get back on the court. Does that suggest it was really that bad? Knowing this, why didn't he insist to play? Jordan would demand PJ to go back in if it were the finals.

There have been guys in history play with a broken foot/leg to win.

Mr Feeny
06-08-2014, 05:17 AM

Wow

poido123
06-08-2014, 05:50 AM
Wow

I know.

Not a bright one is he? :oldlol:

HoopsFanNumero1
06-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Broken foot = leg cramp

Who mentioned leg cramps? Jordan mythologists told me that Jordan can "will" his body into playing :confusedshrug:

Calabis
06-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Jordan broke his foot in the third game of the season, sat out 64 games, then returned to action following a public squabble with management, whose preference was that he sit out the remainder of the season and not risk further damage to the foot. But sitting on the sidelines was torture for the ultra-competitive Jordan, so even though doctors said he was jeopardizing his career, he insisted on playing the final 15 games of the season

andgar923
06-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Jordan broke his foot in the third game of the season, sat out 64 games, then returned to action following a public squabble with management, whose preference was that he sit out the remainder of the season and not risk further damage to the foot. But sitting on the sidelines was torture for the ultra-competitive Jordan, so even though doctors said he was jeopardizing his career, he insisted on playing the final 15 games of the season

This

It wasn't MJ's choice.

MJ FORCED management into playing him. And even then his minutes were limited at first.

The man was on crutches with a cast on, how was he supposed to play? :oldlol:

edrick
06-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Broken foot = leg cramp

:roll: doesn't know what a leg cramp feels like. Thinks it's comparable to other shit. :rolleyes:

D-Rose
06-08-2014, 10:35 AM
It's ridiculous that every petty criticism of LeBron is accompanied by an MJ frame of reference. Who cares, guys? 10-15 years from now, this guy will retire and likely be one of the top 5 greatest to ever pick up a basketball. Let's just sit back and appreciate that. :cheers:

Rubio2Gasol
06-08-2014, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=poido123]The fact that you went googling the internet to find this is hilarious :lol

That article doesn't stipulate "the time" that he sat out, nor does it state what type of cramps they were. :oldlol:

Basically, they just tryed to match up what MJ did with Lebron's circumstance, while leaving out facts :lol

Here's an article that states the part where JORDAN CAME BACK INTO THE GAME.

http://standingosports.com/main/2014/06/06/michael-jordan-cramp-game-nba-finals/

[I]"Jordan went on to return to the game but it was too little to late. The Jazz went on to win the game 78-73. People love to hate LeBron, but let

D-Rose
06-08-2014, 10:52 AM
*yawn*
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11048753/lebron-james-salty-solution

"These are debilitating," Bergeron said. "There's nothing you can do to fight through that. It's absolutely impossible."

Bergeron has specialized in exertional muscle cramps for more than two decades and now continues his work at the Sanford Sports Science Institute. He has seen this type of issue hundreds of times.

Bergeron's research and other studies have shown there are two types of cramps that rarely intertwine. One is caused by skeletal muscle overload and fatigue (the tennis racket cramp is a minor example) and the other caused by lack of electrolytes. When struck with the former, you can usually address it by massaging, icing and stretching the muscle.

But the latter is far trickier. As LeBron grimaced, Twitter was flooded with armchair experts. Drink some water, chug some Gatorade and LeBron will be fine! Bergeron had no such hope those therapies would suffice. The salt, in his view, would be the salvation. "[Drinking water] is not going to be enough. That's absolutely not going to be enough," Bergeron said. "That's really a question of James losing maybe two or three liters of liquid every hour, which he's very capable [of] when you're the size of LeBron and playing hard and continuously. His sodium loss could be three, four or five thousand milligrams an hour."

HoopsFanNumero1
06-08-2014, 11:42 AM

Didn't the doctors know Jordan had the magical ability to "tough it out"? If only Rose had it too.

Calabis
06-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Didn't the doctors know Jordan had the magical ability to "tough it out"? If only Rose had it too.

Its called protecting ur investment. U have these things called nerves in ur foot, if u break a bone and it hits a nerve ur career will never be the same, lmao comparing a broken bone in the foot to a cramp that lasts 20-40 seconds ...ask Grant Hill what the screw in his foot did to his career.

Only issue I had with Lebron was the Heat staff at the 7min mark
he felt cramps a bit...no IVs given to the guy which possibly could have made him available for a late push.

Rubio2Gasol
06-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Its called protecting ur investment. U have these things called nerves in ur foot, if u break a bone and it hits a nerve ur career will never be the same, lmao comparing a broken bone in the foot to a cramp that lasts 20-40 seconds ...ask Grant Hill what the screw in his foot did to his career.

he felt cramps a bit...no IVs given to the guy which possibly could have made him available for a late push.

Exactly.

WTF were they doing? Take him in the back and go through the procedure. It makes me think r Spoelstra specifically told them he is not coming back in at that point.

Which is disgraceful.

edrick
06-08-2014, 12:15 PM
*yawn*
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11048753/lebron-james-salty-solution

The haters will ignore this, because it's much funnier to claim that Lebron had normal cramps, and not body locking cramps. Or more likely, they're too dumb to know the difference between the two.

Derka
06-08-2014, 12:22 PM
This entire thread makes me want to stab poor children with tetanus-laden screwdrivers. They deserve a better world than the world this thread portrays.

Da_Realist
06-08-2014, 12:34 PM

I've had cramps before. I wonder why, when he was hit with a cramp after scoring the basket, did he not fall to the ground with his leg bent. He stood there for a while and then limped to the bench. Usually a cramp will force you to bend your leg because the muscles "cramp". I would have expected him to lay on the ground and try his best to straighten his leg to avoid the pain.

I also wonder why he was able to sit on the bench right after. Sitting with his legs bent...which means the cramp is gone. If someone is worried that a cramp will return, then he would sit with his leg straightened to avoid the leg cramping again. If he is sitting with no pain (with leg bent) then he felt confident the cramping was gone.

His experience with cramping is out of the norm of what I've seen and experienced. Of course I was never an elite athlete, just a guy playing in rec leagues and such. Maybe my tolerance isn't on a level to be able to stand and limp to the bench while enduring a leg cramp.

I don't doubt he was hurt. I wonder if it was a different issue and they called it "cramping".

Bandito
06-08-2014, 12:48 PM
*yawn*
Nice read.

jstern
06-08-2014, 03:41 PM
I think stomach cramps and a muscle cramp are two different things. Just something that people call any pain related to the stomach.

Just looked it up and this is what it said

The term stomach cramps is nonspecific and is used to refer to a number of different symptoms or sensations. People often refer to a "stomachache" or "abdominal cramps" to refer to pain that is perceived anywhere in the abdominal area. As such, the list of potential causes is extremely varied.

DonDadda59
06-08-2014, 03:44 PM
I've had cramps before. I wonder why, when he was hit with a cramp after scoring the basket, did he not fall to the ground with his leg bent. He stood there for a while and then limped to the bench. Usually a cramp will force you to bend your leg because the muscles "cramp". I would have expected him to lay on the ground and try his best to straighten his leg to avoid the pain.

I also wonder why he was able to sit on the bench right after. Sitting with his legs bent...which means the cramp is gone. If someone is worried that a cramp will return, then he would sit with his leg straightened to avoid the leg cramping again. If he is sitting with no pain (with leg bent) then he felt confident the cramping was gone.

His experience with cramping is out of the norm of what I've seen and experienced. Of course I was never an elite athlete, just a guy playing in rec leagues and such. Maybe my tolerance isn't on a level to be able to stand and limp to the bench while enduring a leg cramp.

I don't doubt he was hurt. I wonder if it was a different issue and they called it "cramping".

The first time Bron asked to be pulled, it was because it was too hot for him, not because of a cramp. He was miked up and kept going on about how the Spurs were 'tryna smoke us outta here' and the heat, never once mentioned pain in his legs or even displayed any body language to indicate that was the issue.

It wasn't until the second time he asked to be taken out that his leg became a problem.

aboss4real24
06-08-2014, 03:46 PM
The first time Bron asked to be pulled, it was because it was too hot for him, not because of a cramp. He was miked up and kept going on about how the Spurs were 'tryna smoke us outta here' and the heat, never once mentioned pain in his legs or even displayed any body language to indicate that was the issue.

It wasn't until the second time he asked to be taken out that his leg became a problem.

the 1st time he pulled himself out was cuz of cramps

not the heat

jstern
06-08-2014, 03:47 PM

In the interview that he gave he talked about when it first started cramping up and he asked to sit. He kind of gave a detailed view of the whole thing, from before the game started. But you talk about what you think happened as if it's a fact. As if you were there and Lebron specifically told you that he came out because of the Heat, and then you state it as a fact. That's not cool.

Michael_Wilbon
06-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Well, Caroline Wozniacki is tougher than Jordan and LBJ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHObkStAt0

DonDadda59
06-08-2014, 04:06 PM
the 1st time he pulled himself out was cuz of cramps

not the heat

In the interview that he gave he talked about when it first started cramping up and he asked to sit. He kind of gave a detailed view of the whole thing, from before the game started. But you talk about what you think happened as if it's a fact. As if you were there and Lebron specifically told you that he came out because of the Heat, and then you state it as a fact. That's not cool.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-air-conditioning-2014-6

Like I said, before any issues of cramping/pain were brought up... Bron originally asked to be taken out because of the Heat. Did it later cause him to cramp up? Maybe. But ORIGINALLY, he wanted out because the Spurs were 'tryna smoke us outta here' and he 'gonna need colder water... felt like we played a whole game already'.

D-Rose
06-08-2014, 04:31 PM

Like I said, before any issues of cramping/pain were brought up... Bron originally asked to be taken out because of the Heat. Did it later cause him to cramp up? Maybe. But ORIGINALLY, he wanted out because the Spurs were 'tryna smoke us outta here' and he 'gonna need colder water... felt like we played a whole game already'.
So are you trying to say that LeBron faked the whole cramp thing because it was too hot for him to play?

Dr. Mark Adickes, former NFL player and currently a MD was on ESPN that night/following that game and has consistently backed up what has happened here and said that these cramps were nothing to mess with, and he shouldn't have been back in the game. Adickes has worked with many athletes, and come on, he's a Super Bowl champion.

All this is crap about nothing. What makes me laugh, as a scientist myself is how all these arm chair experts think they know what they're talking about with medicine/physiology based on their personal experiences :roll: :applause: It makes for some great entertainment. Oh gee, let's not trust all the doctors/therapists/researchers...let's just go on a hunch based on that one time I got a cramp in my foot watching the ball game! :oldlol:

aj1987
06-08-2014, 04:41 PM

He was joking, you retarded MJ nut rider.

DonDadda59
06-08-2014, 06:01 PM
So are you trying to say that LeBron faked the whole cramp thing because it was too hot for him to play?

Where did I say that? Just pointing out that the first time he asked to be taken out the game, it clearly was because of fatigue/heat exhaustion and not the cramp that would cause the second call for help. I just provided you with Bron himself complaining about the heat with no mention of a cramp the first time.

Here's the video: First 30 seconds or so (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXY9QlfioZA)

He was walking/moving fine but you could tell he was feeling the heat, pun intended. Again, that was the first time he asked to be taken out.

BigBoss
06-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Kobe wouldn't have checked out