PDA

View Full Version : What is the USA's view on the World Cup?

Wordup
06-08-2014, 02:58 PM
I am from the UK so I was just wondering

RagaZ
06-08-2014, 02:59 PM
3 games, 3 defeats.

Cherry Picker
06-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Asamoah Gyan azontoing after scoring a hatrick against the USA

ace23
06-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Only time I really give a **** about soccer.

ArbitraryWater
06-08-2014, 03:17 PM
Entire USA is in full anticipation right now... You can see everyone gives a shit, "soccer" really starts growing on them.. they consider it as one of the "major sports", as they say, now. They want it to be given bigger coverage

MadeFromDust
06-08-2014, 03:22 PM
World who?

Wordup
06-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Almost no one gives a shit, but ESPN tries to sell it to us very hard.
But football (soccer) World Cup is the biggest money making sporting event in the world. Bigger than the super bowl.

I do not understand why American football is the biggest sport in America, bigger than basketball yet I see plenty of basketball courts in the UK and I am sure there are plenty of basketball courts in China, Australia, Brazil, etc...

Nick Young
06-08-2014, 03:25 PM
We da bess and England sucks at football, 0-0 vs Honduras doe XD

Nick Young
06-08-2014, 03:27 PM
3 games, 3 defeats.
blud, even Costa Rica is going to shit on you guys in the jungle. Your team couldnt handle 82 degree weather in Miami XD

All of the English media is calling Costa Rica minnows who are just lucky to be at the tournament. English fans and newspapers are treating costa rica like a guaranteed 3 points. You have no idea how much this team will f*ck you if you underestimate them, which unfortunately all of England is XD Even Honduras was taking England's first choice 11 to school, with only 10 men too XD

sweggeh
06-08-2014, 05:33 PM
blud, even Costa Rica is going to shit on you guys in the jungle. Your team couldnt handle 82 degree weather in Miami XD

All of the English media is calling Costa Rica minnows who are just lucky to be at the tournament. English fans and newspapers are treating costa rica like a guaranteed 3 points. You have no idea how much this team will f*ck you if you underestimate them, which unfortunately all of England is XD Even Honduras was taking England's first choice 11 to school, with only 10 men too XD

And after all that, none of your players would even get into our squad ROFLMAO

DukeDelonte13
06-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Almost no one gives a shit, but ESPN tries to sell it to us very hard.

Probably depends where you live. I live in an area where there are a lot of italians, serbs, polish, and ukranians. So to me it seems like a lot of people give a shit, but then again, those people aren't really "american".

People aren't partying in the streets after wins, but there plenty of people that watch the games.

LexiKhan
06-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Portuguese television was interviewing people in New Jersey (where Portugal's squad is currently stationed) and a lot of them didn't even knew who C.Ronaldo was.

Dudes in ISH think USA is gonna beast because of unparalleled clutch genes and apparently due to the country's "tropical climate", which means their team is better adapted to the weather conditions in Brasil.

flipogb
06-08-2014, 08:22 PM
lets just say LeBron's leg cramps is a more important topic

Nick Young
06-08-2014, 08:29 PM
And after all that, none of your players would even get into our squad ROFLMAO
LOL
Dempsey would be your best number 10, he actually scores in world cups and Bradley would be your best central midfielder (LAWL HENDERSON+Grandpa Gerrard XD) Infact Jermaine Jones could probably get minutes too. Fabian Johnson would be the best rightback on England and Howard could fight equally for a place with Howard, my money being on Howard winning the role because he's better at saving penalties and doesn't bumble balls like Calamity James part 2. England has better wingers and central defenders and left back then America though. Also better strikers when Altidore is off form, Altidore in top form is as good as Sturridge as seen at his time dominating the dutch league.

Johannsson is very good but hasn't had time to prove himself, all the same he'd probably be one of England's most technical players.

The-Legend-24
06-08-2014, 10:34 PM
I live in Los Angeles. Everybody is hyped. At least where I live at.

Derka
06-08-2014, 11:02 PM
You forget that the US is a country populated with immigrants, I see.

My city is absolutely bonkers waiting for this thing to start...to cheer for Portugal.

Italy has a huge following here, as well.

The-Legend-24
06-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Just cuz ESPN doesn't talk about football like they do the NFL or the NBA doesn't mean no one gives a shit.

flipogb
06-08-2014, 11:29 PM
I live in Los Angeles. Everybody is hyped. At least where I live at.

this "everybody" you speak of must be either hispanics or hipsters , which one are they?

The-Legend-24
06-08-2014, 11:33 PM
this "everybody" you speak of must be either hispanics or hipsters , which one are they?
There's a bunch of white folk living around my neighborhood, I talk to some of them and they're excited about this year's WC.

BurningHammer
06-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Over here, a ton of cars have flags waving on the cars. People are geeked.
Toronto is like NYC, very multi-cultural. So I think people in both areas will enjoy this WC just like every other big soccer tournaments.

Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch and British are very prominent here, especially when they win big matches.

joe
06-09-2014, 12:28 AM
There is some interest if the USA team is decent. It amazes me how good some teams are. Germany and Argentina come to mind. They are so tricky with the ball. But yeah, its not nearly as big as anything NFL/NBA/MLB related. More casual sports fans (like Moms, or as you would say, Mums) will follow it though.