PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction: LeBron James and Tim Duncan are rivals.

KyleKong
06-09-2014, 01:11 AM
They've met 3 times in the Finals already. Very good chance we can see them meeting again after this season.

Would you consider them rivals, even though they have an off court friendship with each other?

Side question: Do you think it's not a LeBron Vs Duncan rivalry, but a LeBron vs Spurs rivalry?

DonDadda59
06-09-2014, 01:13 AM
Dude's old enough to be Bron's grandfather :lol

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Tim-Duncan-2.jpg

Cocaine80s
06-09-2014, 01:13 AM
Duncan is too old to consider lebron his rival

KyleKong
06-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Duncan is too old to consider lebron his rival

Because of the age difference you don't see them as a rivals, even though they've met in the finals three times in their careers? Not arguing against your opinion, just curious on the reasoning.

1987_Lakers
06-09-2014, 01:16 AM
They play different positions and there is an age gap.

Bird & Kareem weren't considered rivals.

Cocaine80s
Because of the age difference you don't see them as a rivals, even though they've met in the finals three times in their careers? Not arguing against your opinion, just curious on the reasoning.
I feel like rivals gotta hate each other.

Thats why i dont think durant and bron are rivals because they hang out during the offseason. I think Pierce and Bron was a legit rivalry

SilkkTheShocker
DonDadda already trying to cover his ass before finals even over :oldlol:

Pathetic.

navy
No. Too old.

KyleKong
06-09-2014, 01:17 AM
They play different positions and there is an age gap.

Bird & Kareem weren't considered rivals.

But Magic and Bird were rivals, they played different positions, only thing they had in common was age, then.

KyleKong
No. Too old.

Huh, I didn't know so many people take age into factor when it comes to rivalries. This is interesting.

Magic 32
No. Too old.

They always are.

DonDadda59
06-09-2014, 01:18 AM
DonDadda already trying to cover his ass before finals even over :oldlol:

Pathetic.

Cover my ass from what exactly?

Been saying Timmy is old as dirt from the jump.

We really gonna make believe dude is even remotely close to his prime?

:confusedshrug:

1987_Lakers
06-09-2014, 01:18 AM
But Magic and Bird were rivals, they played different positions, only thing they had in common was age, then.

They were both perimeter guys. It's hard to label a PG-SG-SF a rival to a Center.

KyleKong
06-09-2014, 01:19 AM

Before this thread gets taken over by LeBron stans and LeBron haters, I just want to say that this is the dumbest post I've read in awhile.

KyleKong
06-09-2014, 01:21 AM
They were both perimeter guys. It's hard to label a PG-SG-SF a rival to a Center.

Interesting opinion. When I look at rivals I look at the 'star' of the teams, not position or age. But I see what you're saying.

But wouldn't it make more sense to call LeBron and Duncan rivals rather then LeBron and Parker rivals? Or do you disagree?

DonDadda59
06-09-2014, 01:21 AM
Before this thread gets taken over by LeBron stans and LeBron haters, I just want to say that this is the dumbest post I've read in awhile.

So a 29 year old in his prime's key rival is a 38 year old, about 6-7 years removed from his prime?

It would make more sense if you used Parker instead of Timmy.

KyleKong
06-09-2014, 01:22 AM
So a 29 year old in his prime's key rival is a 38 year old, about 6-7 years removed from his prime?

It would make more sense if you used Parker instead of Timmy.

That's not what you posted about.

SilkkTheShocker
06-09-2014, 01:22 AM

Yet you were still compelled to pick Spurs in 6, right?

DonDadda59
06-09-2014, 01:24 AM

Who said I changed my pick? :confusedshrug:

Timmy still old as dirt doe. Nothing changes that. Dude is 38, been out of prime for a good 6 seasons now. Just lucky to be playing in a weak era.

That's not what you posted about.

Que?

poido123
06-09-2014, 01:26 AM

Based on Miami's inconsistencies and Spurs playing some really good basketball, I think a lot of people picked Spurs.

What Duncan is doing is remarkable at 38. Place a 29 year old Duncan in the lineup, and we could say for sure that Spurs would win.

SilkkTheShocker
06-09-2014, 01:26 AM
Who said I changed my pick? :confusedshrug:

Timmy still old as dirt doe. Nothing changes that. Dude is 38, been out of prime for a good 6 seasons now. Just lucky to be playing in a weak era.

Que?

Thing is if/when Miami wins, you will be pulling the age card. Your whole agenda is to year LeBron down, but also have an out if the Heat do win this series. That out being Duncan's age.

DonDadda59
06-09-2014, 01:30 AM
Thing is if/when Miami wins, you will be pulling the age card. Your whole agenda is to year LeBron down, but also have an out if the Heat do win this series. That out being Duncan's age.

Like I said, and been saying all along... the Spurs' core is old as shit. This is an undeniable fact. I've been calling them the AARP all stars going on 4 months now. Acting like I'm gonna pull some 'card' if they lose :lol

If these old ass nigguhs win the 'ship I better see you around these parts still talking that slick shit. I'll be here regardless. Something tells me you have a Houdini contingency plan. But we'll see.

Cocaine80s
06-09-2014, 01:31 AM
Like I said, and been saying all along... the Spurs' core is old as shit. I've been calling them the AARP all stars going on 4 months now. Acting like I'm gonna pull some 'card' if they lose :lol

If these old ass nigguhs win the 'ship I better see you around these parts still talking that slick shit. I'll be here regardless. Something tells me you have a Houdini contingency plan. But we'll see.
the only old players on the Spurs are duncan and manu.

iamgine
06-09-2014, 01:31 AM
It's not one factor, but a combination.

Age alone, or different position alone, or just the amount of times they meet, among other factors by itself, are not enough to determine they're rival/not a rival. But the combination of them.

DonDadda59
06-09-2014, 01:34 AM
the only old players on the Spurs are duncan and manu.

AKA their core (including Parker who is not a young 32). Their top 3 scorers, top rebounder/shot blocker/defensive anchor, top 2 passers.

Old as shit.

thefatmiral
06-09-2014, 02:00 AM
i think the leaders of their team can be considered rivals irregardless of position played.

Real14
06-09-2014, 02:03 AM
I would say ray allen iz.

Big#50
06-09-2014, 04:51 AM
**** no.
When Duncan and the Spurs beat him in the finals Lebron wasnt as good as now. Now Lebron is in his prime and Duncan is ****ing geriatric.
Prime Duncan>PrimeLebron

KOBE143
06-09-2014, 09:44 AM
LeBron real rival here is Boris Diaw not old ass ice age Tim Duncan..

Duncan and Kobe were the real rivals during early 00s.. Duncan was at his absolute prime and best while Kobe was still young.. Even tho Kobe always embarrassed Duncan and the Spurs by himself, I still consider Duncan one of his best rivals..

tmacattack33
06-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Fact.

Met 3 times in the Finals. Both were main guys on their team each time. Each side has won at least once. How could they not be rivals.

Roundball_Rock
06-09-2014, 10:00 AM
:oldlol: at Don playing the age card to diminish another ring for LeBron.

2011: Spurs are the top seed in the West, second best record overall.
2012: Spurs tie for the best record in the league, reach the WCF.
2013: Spurs are second in the West, #3 overall and reach the Finals.
2014: Spurs have the best record in the league and reach the Finals.

It is interesting since Don was one of the biggest "Leastern conference" voices. The Spurs have been the premier team in the STACKED, STACKED West--yet they will be presented as old pushovers to diminish LeBron twice defeating the Spurs dynasty. :bowdown:

KOBE143
06-09-2014, 10:10 AM
**** no.
When Duncan and the Spurs beat him in the finals Lebron wasnt as good as now. Now Lebron is in his prime and Duncan is ****ing geriatric.
Prime Duncan>PrimeLebron
This

Your rivals should be as good as yourself.. Just like Duncan and Kobe rivalry in early 00s.. Prime Duncan at his best was as good as young Kobe..

lilteapot
06-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Lebron and the Spurs are rivals, yes. Not any one player on the Spurs in particular.

T_L_P
06-09-2014, 10:15 AM
This

Your rivals should be as good as yourself.. Just like Duncan and Kobe rivalry in early 00s.. Prime Duncan at his best was as good as young Kobe..

Peak Duncan > peak Kobe.

ESPN (a pretty lousy source, but whatever) ranked Duncan's '03 Playoff run as the third greatest ever. Kobe didn't have one in the top fifteen (iirc).

Kobe at his peak in '06: 28.0 PER in the regular season, 19.9 in the Playoffs. Talk about stepping your game up.

KOBE143
06-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Peak Duncan > peak Kobe.

ESPN (a pretty lousy source, but whatever) ranked Duncan's '03 Playoff run as the third greatest ever. Kobe didn't have one in the top fifteen (iirc).

Kobe at his peak in '06: 28.0 PER in the regular season, 19.9 in the Playoffs. Talk about stepping your game up.
Young Kobe not yet in his prime always embarrassed Duncan and the Spurs by himself and that was during the PO.. That alone proves Kobe >>> Duncan but like I said Prime Duncan at his best was as good as young Kobe(not yet in his prime.) So dont get mad, we're on the same side here.. :cheers:

T_L_P
06-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Young Kobe not yet in his prime always embarrassed Duncan and the Spurs by himself and that was during the PO.. That alone proves Kobe >>> Duncan but like I said Prime Duncan at his best was as good as young Kobe(not yet in his prime.) So dont get mad, we're on the same side here.. :cheers:

When did yet-to-be-in-his-prime Kobe embarrass Duncan? You mean in '01? So Kobe had a 10 year prime? Wow, what a ****ing beast.

Get read kid. Kobe was in his prime in 2000. He actually played his best basketball in 2001, because he was a good defender.

Still, what Duncan did to Shaq and Kobe in '03 is greater than anything Kobe did to him. A one man army beating the second and fourth best players in the league, without a legit #2. That's the stuff Kobe never got close to doing (without an elite big man, he missed the Playoffs and went out in the first round twice).

KOBE143
06-09-2014, 10:52 AM
When did yet-to-be-in-his-prime Kobe embarrass Duncan? You mean in '01? So Kobe had a 10 year prime? Wow, what a ****ing beast.

Get read kid. Kobe was in his prime in 2000. He actually played his best basketball in 2001, because he was a good defender.

Still, what Duncan did to Shaq and Kobe in '03 is greater than anything Kobe did to him. A one man army beating the second and fourth best players in the league, without a legit #2. That's the stuff Kobe never got close to doing (without an elite big man, he missed the Playoffs and went out in the first round twice).
Don't get too defensive dude.. Kobe's prime was 06-10.. I admit, I underrate Duncan a little bit so I will change what I said before that he's just as good as Kobe so absolute peak prime Duncan at his best has an argument over young Kobe, not yet in his prime.. Are you happy now?

DMV2
06-09-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't think age is necessary a factor because it depends on each player's development. I believe "prime/peak" gap and position are bigger factors to rivalries. That's why Shaq and Duncan can be rivals in spite of Shaq being 6 years older.

By the way, saying Duncan vs LeBron is a rivalry will only boost Duncan's legacy up.

I mean 15 years ago, Duncan's rivals were Shaq and Kobe - the two greatest 1-2 punch in NBA history. Now at age 37/38, his new rival is a 4-time MVP, back-to-back F-MVP champion, GOAT SF by some in LeBron?

DonDadda59
06-09-2014, 01:31 PM
:oldlol: at Don playing the age card to diminish another ring for LeBron.

2011: Spurs are the top seed in the West, second best record overall. Lost to the 8th Seed
2012: Spurs tie for the best record in the league, reach the WCF. Backdoor Swept
2013: Spurs are second in the West, #3 overall and reach the Finals. http://basketfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/reggie-miller-choke-o.gif
2014: Spurs have the best record in the league and reach the Finals. Taken to 7 by the 8th seed, didn't lose this time doe... success!

It is interesting since Don was one of the biggest "Leastern conference" voices. The Spurs have been the premier team in the STACKED, STACKED West--yet they will be presented as old pushovers to diminish LeBron twice defeating the Spurs dynasty. :bowdown:

Fixed.

The Spurs these days having success would be the same thing as the Celtics making the finals in the mid 90s consecutively with a 37 year old Bird, a 38 year old Parrish, and a 32 year old Danny Ainge as their core :lol

Speaks VOLUMES about the era we're witnessing now.

Dro
06-09-2014, 04:40 PM
I dunno..I guess technically it is but there doesn't seem to be enough dislike there for it to be a true rivalry......

stalkerforlife
06-09-2014, 04:43 PM
You know what's CRAZY?

They ARE rivals.

And Duncan is what, 38?! Talk about LONGEVITY greatness.

Solefade
06-09-2014, 04:48 PM
SPURS ARE ONE OF THE GREATEST TEAMS EVER

...unless Miami is on the verge of beating them then they're old as shit, weak era and competition

Leftimage
06-09-2014, 04:54 PM
They've met 3 times in the Finals already. Very good chance we can see them meeting again after this season.

Would you consider them rivals, even though they have an off court friendship with each other?

Side question: Do you think it's not a LeBron Vs Duncan rivalry, but a LeBron vs Spurs rivalry?

Despite the fact they've met 3 times in the finals, and are the best players of their respective generations, I don't consider them rivals for a couple reasons:

1. Despite the fact Lebron has become a frequent post presence and is the most versatile defender in the NBA, these two have defended each other VERY little over the course of their ''rivalry''. As such, there have been no ''duels'' to speak of, very few notable 1-on-1 moments, and so on.

There simply is no on-court playing rivalry to speak of. The Center/Point Forward chasm is too great.

2. Lebron has played on 2 different teams, which sort of breaks the sequence. The Spurs-Heat rivalry, while it has become decent, is still pretty young. There was never any Cavs-Spurs rivalry to speak of.

3. HUGE age and series gap such that they've only ever matched-up in ''prime vs non-prime'' scenarios. 21 year old Lebron obviously couldn't be held to the same type of standard. Likewise for 37-38 year old Duncan. (Although in each case the lesser player put up strong numbers)

KD-LeBron has much more potential, although KD hasn't really managed to make it interesting yet.

stalkerforlife
06-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Despite the fact they've met 3 times in the finals, and are the best players of their respective generations, I don't consider them rivals for a couple reasons:

1. Despite the fact Lebron has become a frequent post presence and is the most versatile defender in the NBA, these two have defended each other VERY little over the course of their ''rivalry''. As such, there have been no ''duels'' to speak of, very few notable 1-on-1 moments, and so on.

There simply is no on-court playing rivalry to speak of. The Center/Point Forward chasm is too great.

2. Lebron has played on 2 different teams, which sort of breaks the sequence. The Spurs-Heat rivalry, while it has become decent, is still pretty young. There was never any Cavs-Spurs rivalry to speak of.

3. HUGE age and series gap such that they've only ever matched-up in ''prime vs non-prime'' scenarios. 21 year old Lebron obviously couldn't be held to the same type of standard. Likewise for 37-38 year old Duncan. (Although in each case the lesser player put up strong numbers)

KD-LeBron has much more potential, although KD hasn't really managed to make it interesting yet.

I'd say KD made it kind of interesting by winning the MVP, making a finals already WITHOUT the most stacked team in NBA history, and becoming the best player in the world over a full season.

Purch
07-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Bump

DonDadda59
07-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Bump

Anybody seen Silk? :oldlol:

I had the AARP all stars in 6, but after a monumental 5 game ass whooping/glorified sweep looks like my Houdini prediction came true.

I really hope Bron goes ring chasing again so Silk can start fresh in a new city next season. :cheers:

Beastmode88
07-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Almost a month after the finals. Still bumping threads for that ether. :cheers: this thread needs some bigboss.