PDA

View Full Version : Cavs offered coach Calipari 60 mil to be team president/coach

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 10:41 AM
And he turned it down.

Scary....

I think of coach cal as a master recruiter and a mediocre coach, and I definitely wouldn't make him the president of an NBA franchise...

Kiddlovesnets
06-09-2014, 10:44 AM
And he turned it down.

Scary....

I think of coach cal as a master recruiter and a mediocre coach, and I definitely wouldn't make him the president of an NBA franchise...

Hes a great recruiter so potentially makes an excellent GM. As a coach, well, not that much if you ask me.

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Hes a great recruiter so potentially makes an excellent GM. As a coach, well, not that much if you ask me.

yeah but college recruiting is a whole different ball of wax from NBA gm'ing.

7 years... 60 million... Gilbert is throwing around some serious money on a gamble like coach cal.

Random_Guy
06-09-2014, 11:00 AM
wow im impressed, how much do they get paid in college ball? i mean 60mil is a lot, but since i have no idea about the benefits of college ball...any one knows?

irondarts
06-09-2014, 11:23 AM
wow im impressed, how much do they get paid in college ball? i mean 60mil is a lot, but since i have no idea about the benefits of college ball...any one knows?
Kentucky just gave Cal a 7 Year/52.5 Million Dollar Extension. Presumably because of the Cavs offer.

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Kentucky just gave Cal a 7 Year/52.5 Million Dollar Extension. Presumably because of the Cavs offer.

it's utterly insane we have college coaches making that much money.

irondarts
06-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Coach K makes over 10 Million a season. It is crazy.

hawksdogsbraves
06-09-2014, 11:58 AM
In terms of how much revenue he brings into the University, what he gets paid is not crazy.

I'm a big Cal fan but idk if this would have worked out for the Cavs. I actually think he can be a pretty good NBA coach, but to give him that much power and control would be a bit overboard. I know he's pretty close to LeBron, I wonder if that was part of their reasoning?

His X's and O's are definitely underrated, he's far from a 'mediocre' coach in that respect. He's also great at handling personalities which is a big part of the job in the NBA.

When Coach K is losing to Mercer in the first round with Jabari Parker he's what, unlucky? And Cal taking a team of all freshman all the way to the final is just 'letting them play' because he's such a mediocre coach? Give me a break.

Uncle Drew
06-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Having Cal on board would basically kill Griffin, therefore, I'm glad it didn't go through. I'd rather have a shot with Donovan or Blatt.

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO
As for AP report of Cavs and David Blatt, I've been told it's accurate. Sides have talked a couple times and Cavs' interest is genuine.

NattyPButter
06-09-2014, 12:12 PM
60 million and be pres of team
Or
52 million and be swimming in college *****

Id take option 2 also.

Meticode
06-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Mr. Calipari is in a great situation right now in Kentucky. He'd have to get that sort of money or even more from a historical franchise like the Lakers or Boston for him to get pulled away from the grasps of college right now.

In other Cavs news Alvin Gentry and Tyronn Lue were granted second interviews.

Personally, I'm not judging who they hire at all until the season is over. I don't know how any of those coaches will work out. I just hope that whoever they hire is the right decision and they make the team better and take them in the right direction.

Meticode
06-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Not really. Compared to all those top HS recruits he brings in and how much money that college makes just from basketball alone.

chocolatethunder
06-09-2014, 12:27 PM
In terms of how much revenue he brings into the University, what he gets paid is not crazy.

I'm a big Cal fan but idk if this would have worked out for the Cavs. I actually think he can be a pretty good NBA coach, but to give him that much power and control would be a bit overboard. I know he's pretty close to LeBron, I wonder if that was part of their reasoning?

His X's and O's are definitely underrated, he's far from a 'mediocre' coach in that respect. He's also great at handling personalities which is a big part of the job in the NBA.

When Coach K is losing to Mercer in the first round with Jabari Parker he's what, unlucky? And Cal taking a team of all freshman all the way to the final is just 'letting them play' because he's such a mediocre coach? Give me a break.
Cal is right where he should be. He's not a good NBA coach. He's great a recruiting top college talent.

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Not really. Compared to all those top HS recruits he brings in and how much money that college makes just from basketball alone.

i'm not saying it's totally unjustifiable, i just think it's crazy.

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Cal is right where he should be. He's not a good NBA coach. He's great a recruiting top college talent.

my thoughts exactly

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 12:32 PM
I don't care how great UK is or how much the Cavs suck. Turning down 60 million is utter foolishness.

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 12:39 PM

And Nick Saban just got 55 million. But don't worry we have no money to pay college athletes.

bagelred
06-09-2014, 12:41 PM

But if the college kids who actually play ball make a few bucks, that would be illegal.

College sports is the greatest scam of all time. :oldlol: Everyone makes money, except for the actual players. :oldlol: :oldlol: That's because they are "amateurs." :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 12:45 PM
if people actually took the time to research the issue they would find out the 98% of college sports programs cost schools money.

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 12:46 PM
But if the college kids who actually play ball make a few bucks, that would be illegal.

College sports is the greatest scam of all time. :oldlol: Everyone makes money, except for the actual players. :oldlol: :oldlol: That's because they are "amateurs." :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

:applause:

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 12:49 PM

only people really raking in that dough are the coaches.

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 12:52 PM
if people actually took the time to research the issue they would find out the 98% of college sports programs cost schools money.

Then why is UA still paying Saban 55m if the girls soccer team is costing the school money?

If the university can still figure out a way to make Saban the highest paid state employee, with the men's polo team being a money pit, then how are people screaming poor when the subject of compensating college athletes get poached?

qrich
06-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Take Lue, leave Alvin.

Kthxbai.

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Then why is UA still paying Saban 55m if the girls soccer team is costing the school money?

If the university can still figure out a way to make Saban the highest paid state employee, with the men's polo team being a money pit, then how are people screaming poor when the subject of compensating college athletes get poached?

for every Duke, or OSU, or Michigan, etc. , there is 50 other D1 schools with sports programs that are getting funded by government grants.

you can't have a system where players from UK are getting paid and other D1 players at like Valpo or Purdue aren't.

ProfessorMurder
06-09-2014, 12:58 PM
60 million and be pres of team
Or
52 million and be swimming in college *****

Id take option 2 also.

Don't act like you can't find any college girls with 60 million in your pocket.

Less stress in college though.

Real Men Wear Green
06-09-2014, 01:01 PM
He made the right decision. Do the right thing with that #1 pick and Irving (be it signing or trading) and you're in the playoffs for 8 straight years, maybe contend for three. But if that #1 pick has an injury issue, you don't handle Irving's situation correctly and/or any number of things can keep the team in the lottery and get him fired in 2-3 years. Whereas in Kentucky it's like he gets 3 of the top 10 picks in the draft every year. By fair means or foul you just don't get that kind of advantage in the NBA. Kentucky can win the Championship every year. A difference of 8 mil isn't enough to reject that for a job that is far more likely to get him fired anyway.

RedBlackAttack
06-09-2014, 01:03 PM
And he turned it down.

Scary....

I'm glad he turned it down. If I'm going to take a chance on a guy not currently working in the NBA, I'd rather it be David Blatt. If we're going the college route, I'd prefer Billy Donovan.

One thing it does show you is how committed Gilbert is to putting together a winner, expenses aside.

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 01:04 PM
for every Duke, or OSU, or Michigan, etc. , there is 50 other D1 schools with sports programs that are getting funded by government grants.

you can't have a system where players from UK are getting paid and other D1 players at like Valpo or Purdue aren't.

Not to be rude but...and? so?

Let those schools pay fair market value like they do for coaches. Western Kentucky can't afford to pay their coaches 50 million. Why do we suddenly now care that only certain schools can pay for certain elite talents in certain elite sports?

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 01:07 PM
The best coach the Cavs should hire is George Karl.
He could blend Irving, Waiters and Bennett.

If the Cavs got him, they could possibly get into the playoffs.

Last year, which team did better in free agency:

Cavs

Andrew Bynum, 12 million per year signing (team option for second year)

Hawks

Paul Millsap 8.5 million per year
DeMarre Carroll 2.5 million per year
Pero Antic 1.25 million per year

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Other than George Karl, the Cavs have very little chance of getting back into the playoffs next year.

Bennett is an overall no. 1 pick and he will need minutes to develop.

Waiters will be playing for a big contract.

The Hawks have cap space to sign Luol Deng and Chris Kaman (or sign Evan Turner and Jordan Hill), which should be enough to get us back into the playoffs. Plus hopefully Horford will be healthy and we get a good first round pick this year. And hopefully some improvement from Schroeder, Scott and Jenkins.

The Cavs simply aren't built for the playoffs this year, barring some major roster moves.

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 01:11 PM
If this is about competitive balance that shipped sailed 30 years ago. North Texas can't compete with University of Texas now because UT football budget equals that of North Texas entire endowment.

So what difference does it make that Texas can pay a Kevin Durant 500,000 but North Texas only 5,000? Those schools aren't on a level playing field now.

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Not to be rude but...and? so?

Let those schools pay fair market value like they do for coaches. Western Kentucky can't afford to pay their coaches 50 million. Why do we suddenly now care that only certain schools can pay for certain elite talents in certain elite sports?

You want colleges to pay kids like major league baseball?

I just disagree and don't think thats the right answer for college sports. Kids don't have to play college. If they wanna make money they can play in the d-league or play overseas.

those kids are getting paid tuition and room and board. That's a lot more than the other twenty thousand or so students that go to big universities that rack up student debt for the rest of their life for a shot at making 50-60k a year.

I can give two sh*ts about a top prospect not getting paid for a year when he's going to be making millions for the next decade.

RedBlackAttack
06-09-2014, 01:16 PM
The best coach the Cavs should hire is George Karl.
He could blend Irving, Waiters and Bennett.

If the Cavs got him, they could possibly get into the playoffs.

Last year, which team did better in free agency:

Cavs

Andrew Bynum, 12 million per year signing (team option for second year)

Hawks

Paul Millsap 8.5 million per year
DeMarre Carroll 2.5 million per year
Pero Antic 1.25 million per year
The Hawks committed money longterm. The Cavs didn't. How is it remotely comparable? Cavs basically took a mulligan in free agency last offseason.

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 01:17 PM
If this is about competitive balance that shipped sailed 30 years ago. North Texas can't compete with University of Texas now because UT football budget equals that of North Texas entire endowment.

So what difference does it make that Texas can pay a Kevin Durant 500,000 but North Texas only 5,000? Those schools aren't on a level playing field now.

it's not about competitive balance it's about giving the middle finger to every normal student who has to pay through their nose to go to college so said school can afford to pay a dumb f*ck that happens to be 7 feet tall.

Real Men Wear Green
06-09-2014, 01:22 PM
it's not about competitive balance it's about giving the middle finger to every normal student who has to pay through their nose to go to college so said school can afford to pay a dumb f*ck that happens to be 7 feet tall.
Not even addressing the unnecessarily disrespectful attitude towards NCAA athletes that are doing a service for their school that the average student does not, I will once again bring up the very simple solution:

Let NCAA athletes accept endorsement money. Thus the athletes that are worth paying will get paid and the universities won't have to pay an extra dime.

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 01:28 PM
You want colleges to pay kids like major league baseball?

I just disagree and don't think thats the right answer for college sports. Kids don't have to play college. If they wanna make money they can play in the d-league or play overseas.

those kids are getting paid tuition and room and board. That's a lot more than the other twenty thousand or so students that go to big universities that rack up student debt for the rest of their life for a shot at making 50-60k a year.

I can give two sh*ts about a top prospect not getting paid for a year when he's going to be making millions for the next decade.

why not? FSU and FAMU coaches don't have the same salaries? But they still play each other in most sports.

And nobody is forcing UA from paying Saban 55 million. He can go coach overseas too. I find it amusing that Saban and Coach Cal are deemed to be worth it, because of how much money they bring in, but the labor force, which at the very lest is partially responsible for their massive revenue, somehow should shut up and play if they want to trade an autographed for tats.

And I got a scholarship to FSU because of the football program. Some athletes are literally paying for their school new library building.

Excuse me if I think they are entitled to more than tuition and food.

BoutPractice
06-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Isn't he that literal mob boss masquerading as a college coach?

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Isn't UK giving their tenured chemistry professor the middle finger because coach Cal happened to be a talented college coach?

tomtucker
06-09-2014, 01:34 PM
how much do the other teachers at a college like duke, kentucky, carolina, earn a year ? :confusedshrug:

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Not even addressing the unnecessarily disrespectful attitude towards NCAA athletes that are doing a service for their school that the average student does not, I will once again bring up the very simple solution:

Let NCAA athletes accept endorsement money. Thus the athletes that are worth paying will get paid and the universities won't have to pay an extra dime.

I have also suggested this. That way we can eliminate this nonsense about schools being too poor.

BTW, the same resources that go to paying the coach would go to paying the athletes. So I have no idea how the average students would be paying James Winston salary?

As I said, Winston actually helped me pay for school not the other way.

Real Men Wear Green
06-09-2014, 01:47 PM
I have also suggested this. That way we can eliminate this nonsense about schools being too poor.

BTW, the same resources that go to paying the coach would go to paying the athletes. So I have no idea how the average students would be paying James Winston salary?

As I said, Winston actually helped me pay for school not the other way.
In fact I bet that some athletes that are really cashing in (I bet a Tebow or Winston pulls in millions in endorsement money per year) would tell the school they didn't need the scholarship and they could then use that money to help other students.

hawksdogsbraves
06-09-2014, 01:48 PM
how much do the other teachers at a college like duke, kentucky, carolina, earn a year ? :confusedshrug:

How much money to the other teachers at duke, kentucky, or carolina bring into their school per year? :confusedshrug:

UK basketball reports revenue of over $20 million per year.

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 01:51 PM
How much money to the other teachers at duke, kentucky, or carolina bring into their school per year? :confusedshrug:

that's UK.

what about the hundreds of other schools that cost money to operate?

The endorsement idea seems pretty good.

The notion that colleges "mistreat" players by not paying them is asinine and ludicrous. They are treated well. They don't have to be there. They can play professionally if they want. They CHOOSE to go to college for a year knowing that their payday will come if they work hard enough at school.

AnaheimLakers24
06-09-2014, 01:53 PM
no one wants to play for a shitty team like the cavs

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 01:54 PM
why not? FSU and FAMU coaches don't have the same salaries? But they still play each other in most sports.

And nobody is forcing UA from paying Saban 55 million. He can go coach overseas too. I find it amusing that Saban and Coach Cal are deemed to be worth it, because of how much money they bring in, but the labor force, which at the very lest is partially responsible for their massive revenue, somehow should shut up and play if they want to trade an autographed for tats.

And I got a scholarship to FSU because of the football program. Some athletes are literally paying for their school new library building.

Excuse me if I think they are entitled to more than tuition and food.

Do you think FSU earns money or costs the school money? its a fact only a small fraction of these programs make any money at all.

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 01:57 PM

Exactly. The same logic can be applied to me, the average Seminole, and EJ Manuel. He should be compensated because he is a part of a FSU machine that brings in millions.

This nonsense about the average student having to go into debt and Christian Ponder not is beyond moronic.

Guess what? America is not about every one being equal and being compensated equally.

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Exactly. The same logic can be applied to me, the average Seminole, and EJ Manuel. He should be compensated because he is a part of a FSU machine that brings in millions.

This nonsense about the average student having to go into debt and Christian Ponder not is beyond moronic.

Guess what? America is not about every one being equal and compensated equally.

Can you imagine a world where the NCAA lets only some players on some teams make money through their schools?

it's just isn't feasible and IMO not really fair. The purpose of a state funded institution is education first and foremost. The purpose should not be paying some kid a couple million who is going to leave in a year or two.

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 02:02 PM
The Hawks committed money longterm. The Cavs didn't. How is it remotely comparable? Cavs basically took a mulligan in free agency last offseason.

The Hawks gave Jeff Teague 4 years, $32 million. And he is clearly worth more and he is better than Kyrie Irving.

The Hawks gave 4 years, $24 million to Kyle Korver, which is a reasonable contract considering his skill level and experience.

Those were the only two long term deals.

Millsap, Carroll and Antic got 2 year deals. How is that long term?

The Hawks have cap space to sign a Luol Deng or Pau Gasol, or even move some of of the smaller contracts like expirers in Louis Williams ($5.4 million) and/or Carroll ($2.5 million) to clear out enough cap space to go after Carmelo Anthony.

Being 12-15 million under the salary cap with a first round pick this year, our first round pick from last year hopefully coming over, and developing young players like Scott and Schroeder is a better place to be than where the Cavs are.

How about this: the Hawks first round pick (#16 overall) for Anthony Bennett? Bennett gets out of the toxic environment in Cleveland, gets a good head coach in Budenholzer, gets professional guys like Korver-Millsap-Horford to teach how to play and be professional.

The Cavs get a first round pick and not have that pressure of trying to develop a first overall pick in the draft while trying to get into the playoffs.

Bennett is a Millsap-type player, except with better athleticism and strength.

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Calipari knew that coming to the Cavs required a rebuild of the team and that getting into the playoffs in 2015 would be really, really difficult.

Waiters and/or Bennett need to be traded. Does Thompson deserve a big long term contract? If not, what can be gotten in return?

No brainer to stay at Kentucky.

Meticode
06-09-2014, 02:06 PM
no one wants to play for a shitty team like the cavs
This is untrue and unfounded. Stop posting falsehoods.

Meticode
06-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Calipari knew that coming to the Cavs required a rebuild of the team and that getting into the playoffs in 2015 would be really, really difficult.

Waiters and/or Bennett need to be traded. Does Thompson deserve a big long term contract? If not, what can be gotten in return?

No brainer to stay at Kentucky.
He was staying in Kentucky no matter who contacted him.

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 02:08 PM
He was staying in Kentucky no matter who contacted him.

So then he was just using the Cavs to get more money from Kentucky? And Gilbert was foolish enough to go along and offer a $60 million deal?

Or was Gilbert doing it just to help out Calipari?

hawksdogsbraves
06-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Cavs rebuild isn't hard, it's actually a really good gig. Roster has a bunch of young talent plus you get the number one pick? And you're in the East? A good coach has that team in the playoffs next year easy.

I do think Cal will try the NBA again in a couple of years, but I don't think he wants anything to do with a rebuild.

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Do you think FSU earns money or costs the school money? its a fact only a small fraction of these programs make any money at all.

Don't know. Don't care.

We found a way to pay Jameis Winston position coach 350,000 a year. The crimson tide found a way to pay their strength and conditions coach 500,000 a year.

Notre Dame found 100 million dollars to expand their football stadium. And Oregon found 50 million to upgrade and expand their sports complex

All this happened in the last 6 months.

Surely these poor school can find a way to compensate their athletes beyond a scholarship that is worth 20k on average per football player.

The average football player is worth 125k and the average basketball 265K a year. Wiggins was worth a reported 1.85 million this year alone.

The fine gentleman and ladies that run our Universities can put their feeble minds together and come up with a adequate solution.

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 02:12 PM

The Cavs could have signed DeMarre Carroll at 2 years, $5 million and that probably would have been enough to get past the Hawks into the playoffs this year.

The Cavs couldn't win 6 more games in such a terrible EC.

And the Hawks lost 14 out of 15 at one point and then another 6 in row after that. And the Hawks had two exceptions to get help - a 5.25 million exception and a 2.65 million exception. But the owners didn't want to spend it because they thought getting into the lottery would be better.

Except the Knicks and Cavs sucked so bad they couldn't get past us.

Meticode
06-09-2014, 02:13 PM
So then he was just using the Cavs to get more money from Kentucky? And Gilbert was foolish enough to go along and offer a $60 million deal?

Or was Gilbert doing it just to help out Calipari?
No to all of these questions. I think in his heart, no matter who contacted him, he was staying in Kentucky. He already tried the NBA, didn't succeed, why leave a good thing in Kentucky? It's foolish. End of story, no more questions.

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Cavs rebuild isn't hard, it's actually a really good gig. Roster has a bunch of young talent plus you get the number one pick? And you're in the East? A good coach has that team in the playoffs next year easy.

I do think Cal will try the NBA again in a couple of years, but I don't think he wants anything to do with a rebuild.

George Karl could squeeze some juice out of that mismatched lemon of a roster.

Otherwise, it will be back to the lottery next year for the Cavs.

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Can you imagine a world where the NCAA lets only some players on some teams make money through their schools?

it's just isn't feasible and IMO not really fair. The purpose of a state funded institution is education first and foremost. The purpose should not be paying some kid a couple million who is going to leave in a year or two.

Could you imagine a world where Jimbo Fisher gets 30 million but the coach across the railroad tracks in Tallahassee makes 85,000?

The NCAA would never allow such a thing!

Or a world where the Baseball coach makes 50 times the salary of the tennis coach?

Never!!

PJR
06-09-2014, 02:22 PM
You're not getting any good to great "Name" coach to come to Cleveland, with that lunatic as your owner.

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 02:24 PM
You're not getting any good to great "Name" coach to come to Cleveland, with that lunatic as your owner.

Yep. His personal obsession with LeBron is clouding his judgment over what to do long term with the team.

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 02:26 PM

Oh we care about education now?

Then why are we looking to expand the college football post season so FSU can fly across country to play stanford in a playoff game then fly back across to play Michigan the next week so that FSU can meet Alabama in two week for the championship game?

Does that sound like school administration giving a damn about education when a football game can be held?

Real Men Wear Green
06-09-2014, 02:46 PM
So then he was just using the Cavs to get more money from Kentucky?
Working professionals (not just coaches) do that kind of thing all the time.

DukeDelonte13
06-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Oh we care about education now?

Then why are we looking to expand the college football post season so FSU can fly across country to play stanford in a playoff game then fly back across to play Michigan the next week so that FSU can meet Alabama in two week for the championship game?

Does that sound like school administration giving a damn about education when a football game can be held?

you aren't even in the same stratosphere of what i'm talking about... I don't think you are grasping the fact the the vast majority of these programs lose money for schools, and the vast majority of these losing programs are bootstrapped by taxpayer dollars.

you can't simply pick and choose which players should get paid and which players shouldn't. That why just simply forking over money to some college athletes in big programs isn't a simple no brainer.. it's extraordinarily complex and has way more negatives than positives. College football especially has gotten way too expensive to operate. I think only like 10 schools in the entire country actually make money. The rest COST the school money to operate.

You are just thinking of the athlete. You aren't thinking of the students, teachers, and taxpayers who are all also part of the equation.

RedBlackAttack
06-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Yeah, he's not a lunatic. Go back to the Heat threads.

Yep. His personal obsession with LeBron is clouding his judgment over what to do long term with the team.

What? :oldlol:

What does this offer have to do with James? Sounds to me like your personal obsession with James is interfering with your ability to have a logical discussion about something that has literally nothing to do with him.

Real Men Wear Green
06-09-2014, 03:33 PM
you aren't even in the same stratosphere of what i'm talking about... I don't think you are grasping the fact the the vast majority of these programs lose money for schools, and the vast majority of these losing programs are bootstrapped by taxpayer dollars.

you can't simply pick and choose which players should get paid and which players shouldn't. That why just simply forking over money to some college athletes in big programs isn't a simple no brainer.. it's extraordinarily complex and has way more negatives than positives. College football especially has gotten way too expensive to operate. I think only like 10 schools in the entire country actually make money. The rest COST the school money to operate.

You are just thinking of the athlete. You aren't thinking of the students, teachers, and taxpayers who are all also part of the equation.Umm, no. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciajessop/2013/08/31/the-economics-of-college-football-a-look-at-the-top-25-teams-revenues-and-expenses/) I'm not sure what percentage of NCAA teams make money but it's a fact that a lot of schools make money off of football and men's basketball programs. You think it would dominate fall saturdays if it wasn't major?

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 03:36 PM

You are just thinking of the athlete. You aren't thinking of the students, teachers, and taxpayers who are all also part of the equation.

But we pick and choose which coaches should be paid millions while others do not.

What is the difference?

RedBlackAttack
06-09-2014, 03:39 PM
FYI, the offer is now being reported as 10 years, $80 million with 7 years, $52.5 million guaranteed. :eek:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11056921/cleveland-cavaliers-offered-john-calipari-nearly-80-million-10-years-coach-team-president

Gilbert is seriously breaking the bank. I'm glad he turned it down, tbh.

FLDFSU
06-09-2014, 03:45 PM

And if these schools are losing money on football why haven't any of the 120 D1 programs dropped the sport?

Each and every of the 120 football program can afford to pay their coaches hundreds of thousands. And most spend well into the millions.

Please stop with the poor school can't afford it. The same funds that allow the average coach in football to get paid well over 250k can allow for a fair market to develop.

If the school's alumni can't afford it. Drop the program. But something tells me that nothing will change. No program will be dropped and the FSU and USB of the world will still dominant the sport.

Now they just have to share their revenue with the most visible components of that system that allows their million dollars salaries.

hawksdogsbraves
06-09-2014, 03:51 PM
FYI, the offer is now being reported as 10 years, $80 million with 7 years, $52.5 million guaranteed. :eek:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11056921/cleveland-cavaliers-offered-john-calipari-nearly-80-million-10-years-coach-team-president

Gilbert is seriously breaking the bank. I'm glad he turned it down, tbh.

Dear lord has Gilbert lost it?

The only thing I can think of is that he thought Cal could convince LeBron to come back...

UK2K
06-09-2014, 03:54 PM
But we pick and choose which coaches should be paid millions while others do not.

What is the difference?

Because you cant pick and choose which players make millions and which do not.

Does the 12th man on the basketball team make the same as the star PG? Does he make the same as the QB on the football team? What about the kicker? What about Manziel, does he make the same as the QB from IUPUI? What about volleyball? Do they get money too? Do they make the same as the LG on the football team?

If you want to get in a bidding war, fine, UK will land every top player (as if they don't already) forevermore, because UK will pay big money.

RedBlackAttack
06-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Dear lord has Gilbert lost it?

The only thing I can think of is that he thought Cal could convince LeBron to come back...
...or maybe he just wants a good coach... ?

I don't understand the negative reaction, here. There are a lot of owners around the NBA who won't dare approach the luxury tax, let alone pay a coach $80 million. Don't you want an owner who is willing to shell out money to improve the team, be it with coaches or players?

I don't think Cal is cut out for the NBA and I'm actually glad he turned it down, but the ownership and front office clearly believe he would be a good fit... and Gilbert did everything in his power to snag him.

I'm also just not seeing this connection with James. I know that's the angle ESPN always wants to push with anything related to the Cavs, but I don't understand why people are reacting negatively to this story.

It seems like there's nothing Gilbert can do without being criticized for it. I can't imagine the reaction if he was a tight-wad owner like half of NBA franchises, especially small markets like the Cavs.

Real Men Wear Green
06-09-2014, 04:07 PM

Does the 12th man on the basketball team make the same as the star PG? Does he make the same as the QB on the football team? What about the kicker? What about Manziel, does he make the same as the QB from IUPUI? What about volleyball? Do they get money too? Do they make the same as the LG on the football team?

If you want to get in a bidding war, fine, UK will land every top player (as if they don't already) forevermore, because UK will pay big money.
This kind of thing is why I don't see the "competitive disadvantage" argument against paying players as having any validity. It doesn't exist now, the only difference would be that the players would now getting paid above board as opposed to the illicit payments that we all know are happening anyway.

PJR
06-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Yeah, he's not a lunatic.

Yeah, sure buddy. :oldlol:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2mrzi3l.jpg

RedBlackAttack
06-09-2014, 04:15 PM
I relate everything to LeBron James.
I know. No need to flaunt it.

hawksdogsbraves
06-09-2014, 05:04 PM
...or maybe he just wants a good coach... ?

I don't understand the negative reaction, here. There are a lot of owners around the NBA who won't dare approach the luxury tax, let alone pay a coach $80 million. Don't you want an owner who is willing to shell out money to improve the team, be it with coaches or players?

I don't think Cal is cut out for the NBA and I'm actually glad he turned it down, but the ownership and front office clearly believe he would be a good fit... and Gilbert did everything in his power to snag him.

I'm also just not seeing this connection with James. I know that's the angle ESPN always wants to push with anything related to the Cavs, but I don't understand why people are reacting negatively to this story.

It seems like there's nothing Gilbert can do without being criticized for it. I can't imagine the reaction if he was a tight-wad owner like half of NBA franchises, especially small markets like the Cavs.

I like Cal, and like I said earlier in this thread I think he can be a good NBA coach, but that's too much power and money to turn over to a college coach like that. If it's Phil Jackson or Pat Riley that's one thing.

People are always going to rag on Gilbert after the LeBron letter, for some reason blasting out a raving email in comic sans in the middle of the night makes people think you're a bit off, weird I know... :confusedshrug:

PJR
06-09-2014, 05:10 PM
I have no retort, Gilbert is indeed a lunatic.

I know.

RedBlackAttack
06-09-2014, 05:25 PM
I like Cal, and like I said earlier in this thread I think he can be a good NBA coach, but that's too much power and money to turn over to a college coach like that. If it's Phil Jackson or Pat Riley that's one thing.

People are always going to rag on Gilbert after the LeBron letter, for some reason blasting out a raving email in comic sans in the middle of the night makes people think you're a bit off, weird I know... :confusedshrug:
It was a bizarre situation that will likely never be duplicated... but let's not forget it was initiated by the player, not the owner. "The Decision"... :oldlol:

It's one of the big reasons a lot of people (outside of Cleveland) despise James to this day.

I still do not see what this has to do with that. Actually, the answer is nothing. It's just -- once again -- obsessive fans trying to relate everything in Cleveland to James. We have the No. 1 pick in what is supposed to be a historically great draft. At what point can we kindly move on?

You can argue whether or not Cal is worth this kind of money and, like I said, I wasn't wild about the idea of the hire in the first place... But the list of owners who are willing to shell out $80 million for a coach is incredibly short. Whether or not you personally agree with the hire is a separate conversation from the owner's commitment to winning when offering that kind of money.

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 05:33 PM
What does this offer have to do with James? Sounds to me like your personal obsession with James is interfering with your ability to have a logical discussion about something that has literally nothing to do with him.

1. The espn article clearly states that Gilbert tried to hire Calipari because Cal and LBJ are buddies and thinking that it would help bring back James to Cleveland. Whether that is true or not is debateable.

2. Last year, Cleveland focused on - we gotta get back into the playoffs. Instead of - what do we need to do to create a better overall basketball team.

They should have drafted Noel instead of Bennett, but that was based on trying to win "now". And then they didn't want to send Bennett to the D-League and get a lot of run and experience because they wanted to win "now". And then trading away picks to Chicago for Deng because they wanted to win "now".

Giving Irving a max contract, which he doesn't deserve (Irving is now the new Eric Gordon) because he has to win "now".

This gotta win "now" obsession is his obsession with James.

Gilbert needs to acknowledge his team just sucks and has some serious roster problems.

Three overall number one picks in five years and still there is no guarantee this team will get into the playoffs next year. That's called horrible ownership.

In fact, if the Hawks add another good player via free agency, we're pretty much a lock to get back in playoffs. Charlotte has two first round picks (one at no. 9 overall) plus cap space to add another rotation player. No other team in the East won't make it back. Brooklyn has a bunch of old guys, but there are also some young players who can take their minutes - and Lopez should be coming back.

Dan Gilbert is the worst owner in the Eastern Conference.

hawksdogsbraves
06-09-2014, 06:13 PM
1. The espn article clearly states that Gilbert tried to hire Calipari because Cal and LBJ are buddies and thinking that it would help bring back James to Cleveland. Whether that is true or not is debateable.

2. Last year, Cleveland focused on - we gotta get back into the playoffs. Instead of - what do we need to do to create a better overall basketball team.

They should have drafted Noel instead of Bennett, but that was based on trying to win "now". And then they didn't want to send Bennett to the D-League and get a lot of run and experience because they wanted to win "now". And then trading away picks to Chicago for Deng because they wanted to win "now".

Giving Irving a max contract, which he doesn't deserve (Irving is now the new Eric Gordon) because he has to win "now".

Gilbert needs to acknowledge his team just sucks and has some serious roster problems.

Three overall number one picks in five years and still there is no guarantee this team will get into the playoffs next year. That's called horrible ownership.

In fact, if the Hawks add another good player via free agency, we're pretty much a lock to get back in playoffs. Charlotte has two first round picks (one at no. 9 overall) plus cap space to add another rotation player. No other team in the East won't make it back. Brooklyn has a bunch of old guys, but there are also some young players who can take their minutes - and Lopez should be coming back.

There's no worse owner than James Dolan.

The Cavs weren't very good last year, but at least they have young talent + the number 1 pick.

The Knicks have one of the most expensive rosters in the league and have all of ONE good player on the whole team, and he's likely to leave. They have none of the hope Cleveland does.

Frankly I'd trade the Cavs roster/picks for the Hawks right now. We have nothing to build a contender around, they do.

RedBlackAttack
06-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Pure speculation and there really isn't any need for me to point out ESPN's obsession with James, is there? Mentioning his name gets them more hits, but they make it clear in the article that they have no knowledge of a connection... just another ASSumption.

1. We still haven't seen Noel play yet. I wanted him with the No. 1 pick, but I still believe Bennett was chosen because they thought he was the best player with the highest ceiling in the draft. I'm not going to get into the whole Bennett thing again, for the umpteenth time, but he'll be getting his first real shot at playing in the NBA next season. In five years, we'll be able to see which guy was the right pick. Regardless, Monday Morning Quarterbacking is pretty easy.

2. They didn't trade "picks" for Luol Deng. They basically traded expirers (Bynum for Deng) and threw in a highly protected Sacramento pick that will likely end up being a second rounder. I thought it was worth it for nothing else than to see what Deng had left in the tank, since he was likely to be one of the free agent targets for us in this offseason. The answer was a resounding "not much." That seems like a pretty silly gripe. They gave up no cap space and what will amount to a second round pick. :confusedshrug:

Pretty much all of this is nonsense. If they're in "win now" mode, why is the median age of the rotational players on this roster around 22? Why didn't they waste all of their cap space this past offseason?

Why do they have one of the best cap situations in the entire league? Why do they have one of the youngest rosters in the entire NBA? Why haven't they been trading their high picks for guys that can help them win now? Why haven't they been trading their more valuable "other" assets, like future firsts from Memphis?

That doesn't sound much like a "win now" situation. It actually sounds like they've been... patient.

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 07:38 PM
It actually sounds like they've been... patient.

So not being able to make the playoffs in the weakest Eastern Conference in years, and not being able to get past a team that lost 14 out of 15, then lost another 6 in a row, and had two player exceptions to improve the roster (but weren't used by the owners because they were trying to get into the lottery) is patience?

Ok.

RedBlackAttack
06-09-2014, 07:44 PM
So not being able to make the playoffs in the weakest Eastern Conference in years, and not being able to get past a team that lost 14 out of 15, then lost another 6 in a row, and had two player exceptions to improve the roster (but weren't used by the owners because they were trying to get into the lottery) is patience?

Ok.
What? You just completely whiffed on the point.

Sarcastic
06-09-2014, 07:55 PM
There's no worse owner than James Dolan.

The Cavs weren't very good last year, but at least they have young talent + the number 1 pick.

The Knicks have one of the most expensive rosters in the league and have all of ONE good player on the whole team, and he's likely to leave. They have none of the hope Cleveland does.

Frankly I'd trade the Cavs roster/picks for the Hawks right now. We have nothing to build a contender around, they do.

Donald Sterling is a far worse owner than Dolan.

I don't know why Dolan is thought of so poorly. He's willing to spend any amount of money to win, meanwhile other owners won't go a penny over the luxury cap. How is not being cheap a bad thing? His biggest error was hiring Donnie Walsh, which set the franchise back a decade with bad contracts and awful picks. Now he's given the reins to Phil Jackson, just as he did to Glenn Sather with the Rangers, who now has his team in the Stanley Cup finals.

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 07:58 PM
What? You just completely whiffed on the point.

Ok - when will the Cavs get back in the playoffs?
This upcoming year? The season after that? Three years when Embiid and Bennett are ready (admittedly they are both young and need experience)?

RedBlackAttack
06-09-2014, 08:38 PM
This upcoming year? The season after that? Three years when Embiid and Bennett are ready (admittedly they are both young and need experience)?
Just to clarify, because there seemed to be some confusion based on your previous post...

I wasn't saying that our rebuild thus far has been some great success or that missteps haven't been made. But, the post I was responding to was making an argument that the organization's errors (and perceived errors) were made in some mad dash to get as good as possible as soon as possible.

The facts just don't back that up.

There are a few characteristics that almost always align with the "win-now" attitude and teams who have that kind of outlook...

Those teams tend to cash in all of their chips -- be it salary, current picks, future picks and young players -- for guys in their prime or veterans. That is literally the exact opposite approach the Cavs have taken in the last several years.

1. They had a ton of cap flexibility last offseason and they basically took a mulligan. Now, they have tons of cap room this coming offseason. They actually have arguably the most flexible cap sheet in the entire NBA right now. Not a sign of a team in "win now" mode.

2. Likewise, not only do they still own all of their own draft picks in future drafts, they also have other valuable picks (much more valuable than the likely second-rounder they handed to Chicago in the Deng deal). Those would be long gone in a "win now" mode. It would have been very easy for the Cavs to trade the pick in this coming draft for some quick fix, thinking that it would be around the 10th spot, the way the Clippers did back in 2011 that got us Irving. They didn't.

3. Lastly, the roster is literally filled with players under 24... again, not characteristic of a team thinking "win now." Let's say they take Embiid (20). He'll be joining Irving (22), Waiters (22), Bennett (21), Thompson (23), Zeller (23) and Karasev (20) next season.

If you packaged any or all of those guys, along with the other assets the team has, you could fill this team with veterans who would be much more likely to make the playoffs. The Cavs haven't done this. They've stuck with their young core, even when it has staggered at times in the regular season.

So, those are all the reasons it is ridiculous to say the Cavs are in a "win now" mode and why I've said it is more appropriate to say they've been "patient." I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Now, to answer your questions...

I have no idea when the Cavs are going to make the playoffs, obviously. I hope it's next season, but if I could read the future, I'd be in Las Vegas. I will tell you that I'll assume the Cavs' front office is in "win now" mode when they begin unloading all of these assets they've built up over the last three years... the cap space, picks, and expendable young players. That hasn't happened yet.

Keep in mind the Cavs will still be one of the youngest teams in the NBA next season... and maybe their best young piece will be just out of his teenage years and a rookie.

Look at Detroit as a franchise that spent this past offseason really getting into "win now" mode. They spent all of their cap to bring in guys like Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings. They lost out on their pick in this coming draft in an attempt to get better sooner.

That is a team in "win now" mode. It also happens to be a franchise that gets a fraction of the criticism the Cavs do, while also missing the playoffs and finishing with a worse record.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

All Net
06-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Depends who else they add... They should be in the mix.

hawksdogsbraves
06-09-2014, 08:41 PM

I don't know why Dolan is thought of so poorly. He's willing to spend any amount of money to win, meanwhile other owners won't go a penny over the luxury cap. How is not being cheap a bad thing? His biggest error was hiring Donnie Walsh, which set the franchise back a decade with bad contracts and awful picks. Now he's given the reins to Phil Jackson, just as he did to Glenn Sather with the Rangers, who now has his team in the Stanley Cup finals.

Well don't forget who he 'handed the reins to' before Walsh.

If you can't get results with nearly unlimited resources as one of the premier organizations in the league, the blame has to fall somewhere. The coaches, players, GM's and team presidents come and go, but the guy at the top stays the same.

The highlight since Ewing left was about a month of 'Linsanity'. That's in what, 15 years?

(Note: before you jump on the Hawks - I'm acutely aware of our 'storied' history)

ZenMaster
06-09-2014, 08:58 PM

That's some revisionist history for you! Things were going good with Walsh right up until Dolan himself overruled Walsh in the Melo trade.

Or maybe your entire post was sarcastic?

Sarcastic
06-09-2014, 09:06 PM
That's some revisionist history for you! Things were going good with Walsh right up until Dolan himself overruled Walsh in the Melo trade.

Or maybe your entire post was sarcastic?

What was going good? The team was coming back down to earth from a hot start that was entirely fueled by a weak schedule.

Walsh was hired to get LeBron. He failed. He also tanked for 2 years, and traded away most assets to clear cap space. By most estimations, he lost on virtually every trade he made. He hired Mike D'Antoni instead of Tom Thibadeau, whose dream job is admittedly the Knicks. How'd that work out?

Sarcastic
06-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Well don't forget who he 'handed the reins to' before Walsh.

If you can't get results with nearly unlimited resources as one of the premier organizations in the league, the blame has to fall somewhere. The coaches, players, GM's and team presidents come and go, but the guy at the top stays the same.

The highlight since Ewing left was about a month of 'Linsanity'. That's in what, 15 years?

(Note: before you jump on the Hawks - I'm acutely aware of our 'storied' history)

So letting Isaiah Thomas run a team is worse than being an open racist, and getting banned from the league?

Ok whatever. Agree to disagree.

ZenMaster
06-09-2014, 09:49 PM
What was going good? The team was coming back down to earth from a hot start that was entirely fueled by a weak schedule.

Walsh was hired to get LeBron. He failed. He also tanked for 2 years, and traded away most assets to clear cap space. By most estimations, he lost on virtually every trade he made. He hired Mike D'Antoni instead of Tom Thibadeau, whose dream job is admittedly the Knicks. How'd that work out?

He was building a team and foundation for the future, the next step was to sign a big time free agent except Dolan decided to trade for one instead thus breaking up the team and work Walsh had already done. This is one of the reasons you are where you are now.

Yeah he tanked for two years and traded away for cap space, that was the first step of his rebuild and one of the reasons he was brought in in the first place.
You seem to be forgetting how bad it was before Walsh got there, it was even worse than now.

Meticode
06-09-2014, 10:23 PM
When I watch RBA' debate/pissing contests...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/2837510/michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

hawksdogsbraves
06-09-2014, 10:25 PM
So letting Isaiah Thomas run a team is worse than being an open racist, and getting banned from the league?

Ok whatever. Agree to disagree.

And yet somehow the Clippers succeeded where the Knicks have failed, and have assembled a legit championship caliber team.

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Depends who else they add... They should be in the mix.

Sure, if the Cavs add Pau Gasol for 3 years, $51 million ($17 million) or whatever is the max for him at his age and experience, then yes the Cavs could compete for the playoffs.

Will the Cavs make a run at another Laker center?

Sarcastic
06-09-2014, 11:28 PM
And yet somehow the Clippers succeeded where the Knicks have failed, and have assembled a legit championship caliber team.

Because Stern gifted them Chris Paul. You really gonna give Sterling the credit for that?

Straight_Ballin
06-09-2014, 11:42 PM

Worth every penny. That's why they begged him to be coach of team USA.

RedBlackAttack
06-10-2014, 12:44 AM
Sure, if the Cavs add Pau Gasol for 3 years, $51 million ($17 million) or whatever is the max for him at his age and experience, then yes the Cavs could compete for the playoffs.

Will the Cavs make a run at another Laker center?
Oh god I hope not. :oldlol:

That would be an awful addition at that price. $17 million a year for Gasol's corpse? Surely you jest.

And, we're drafting Embiid and can retain Varejao... I don't get it. :confusedshrug: Where does Gasol fit? Why do that?

FLDFSU
06-10-2014, 01:04 AM

No. The punter does not make the same as Jamies Winston. No the 12th man does not make the same as the star PG.

Does Nick Saban make the same as the coach from North Texas? Does Jimbo Fisher make the same as the coach for FAMU? Does the men's Baseball coach make the same as the volley coach?

You are making a distinction when there doesn't need to be one.

We ALREADY HAVE A SYSTEM IN PLACE THAT IS UNFAIR AND UNEQUAL.

The men's basketball coach at Western Kentucky ALREADY doesn't get paid 1/10 of the salary of the men's basketball coach at UK across the same state.

Why are we insisting on equality amongst the players but NONE amongst the coaches?

FLDFSU
06-10-2014, 01:09 AM

That is the point. Paying athletes market value will change NOTHING.

FSU, ALABAMA, USC, UCLA, MIAMI, UF, LSU etc. in football will still land the top recruits LIKE THEY ALREADY DO.

THAT IS BECAUSE THESE SCHOOLS ALREADY HAVE AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE OVER MOST SCHOOLS: MONEY

They can afford to pay Nick Saban 55 million dollars while the FIUs of the world can not pay their head coach 1/25 of that over the course of a decade.

The system is ALREADY unfair.

And this is coming from an FSU alumni.

hawksdogsbraves
06-10-2014, 01:34 AM
That is the point. Paying athletes market value will change NOTHING.

FSU, ALABAMA, USC, UCLA, MIAMI, UF, LSU etc. in football will still land the top recruits LIKE THEY ALREADY DO.

THAT IS BECAUSE THESE SCHOOLS ALREADY HAVE AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE OVER MOST SCHOOLS: MONEY

They can afford to pay Nick Saban 55 million dollars while the FIUs of the world can not pay their head coach 1/25 of that over the course of a decade.

The system is ALREADY unfair.

And this is coming from an FSU alumni.

What exactly is your point?

People think college athletes should be paid because it is unfair that the NCAA and the colleges are making so much money off of them while they don't see a dime, (well, not as many dimes as they should be seeing anyway).

What does the current system being fair or unfair have to do with that? It's not a matter of making the system fair or equal for all teams, it's a matter of compensating the players and stopping the NCAA from making millions off of them.

Legends66NBA7
06-10-2014, 01:52 AM
I don't care how great UK is or how much the Cavs suck. Turning down 60 million is utter foolishness.

He's still getting paid $52 million, no ?

GimmeThat
06-10-2014, 03:25 AM
well, it's official

the only people that truly feel offended about Lebron leaving the Cavs is only that of the Cavalier franchise. We have had enough of how his decision has played out and how no one can truly argue that he was wrong for leaving the Cavs.

Rationally of course.

DukeDelonte13
06-10-2014, 07:24 AM

People think college athletes should be paid because it is unfair that the NCAA and the colleges are making so much money off of them while they don't see a dime, (well, not as many dimes as they should be seeing anyway).

What does the current system being fair or unfair have to do with that? It's not a matter of making the system fair or equal for all teams, it's a matter of compensating the players and stopping the NCAA from making millions off of them.

why do you keep arguing this when it's proven false again and again and again?

Only a fraction of schools make money with sports programs. The vast majority do not.

Why is this difficult to understand?

DukeDelonte13
06-10-2014, 07:26 AM
He's still getting paid $52 million, no ?

52 million and he's going to be treated as a god, versus 60 million where he'll probably get fired in 3 years and have his coaching credibility called out nationally. :confusedshrug:

FLDFSU
06-10-2014, 08:27 AM

I don't get it? I agree with your point. I am not concerned about fairness, the current system in place is already unfair. Which was the point i was making.

DCL
06-10-2014, 08:38 AM
let's be real, calipari's main talent is bribing top high school players and their families under the table. :oldlol:

FLDFSU
06-10-2014, 08:38 AM
why do you keep arguing this when it's proven false again and again and again?

Only a fraction of schools make money with sports programs. The vast majority do not.

Why is this difficult to understand?

Yet you still fail to address that of the 120 FBS programs not a one has eliminated the money pit of college football.

And beyond that, every single one of the 120 FBS school pay their head football coaches well into the six figures, nearly all play in their own stadium, and nearly all have state of the art sport complexes.

Maybe they can find the money from stop giving coaches staff million dollar contract and every decade pouring 10 million into stadium renovations.

And look if the school can't afford to pay Jameis Winston they don't have too. They can let him go to a school that will and they can just have a volunteer team or can choose to eliminate the sport all together.

Legends66NBA7
06-10-2014, 01:08 PM
52 million and he's going to be treated as a god, versus 60 million where he'll probably get fired in 3 years and have his coaching credibility called out nationally. :confusedshrug:

Pretty much.

In a sense, the $52 million comes on your terms and has much higher rewards.