PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Sterling changes his mind, will fight NBA, sue, oppose sale

fpliii
06-09-2014, 09:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11059020/donald-sterling-decides-pursue-1-billion-lawsuit-nba-all

Dude's so salty. :lol

Take the L and your $2B and walk away.

oh the horror
06-09-2014, 09:58 PM
To be quite honest I think everyone is tired of this man.

The fact that he's shady shows by his very actions for anyone to see.

buddha
06-09-2014, 09:58 PM
lmao

navy
06-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Holy shit. Go away old man.

Fawker
06-09-2014, 10:00 PM
:roll:

Chill_Hustle
lol

Jameerthefear
Dude is trolling :roll:

RoundMoundOfReb
06-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Ultimate troll :applause:

Rodmantheman
06-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Dude is the ultimate troll.

Le Shaqtus
06-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Dude is more indecisive than a girl trying to pick a restaurant to eat at :facepalm

tanner892
haha good on him, dude is srsly Alpha

All Net
Too bad he has no case and the Clippers will be sold.

oh the horror
06-09-2014, 10:03 PM

It's not alpha to make yourself out to be an old senile fool.

Dude literally is eradicating any dignity that was left.

Soundwave
06-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Silver said that Sterling has apparently done this many times before ("agreed" to sell and then backed out at the last minute). So expected kinda I guess.

I think the NBA is going to void the franchise and the value of the time is going to drop to nada :lol

stalkerforlife
06-09-2014, 10:05 PM
It should be illegal to do what the NBA is doing to Sterling.

I hope he prevails.

MavsSuperFan
06-09-2014, 10:05 PM
I am beginning to think the fool is senile

Take the L and your $2B and walk away.
Damn why cant i "lose" like that.

fpliii
06-09-2014, 10:08 PM
I am beginning to think the guy is senile

Damn why cant i "lose" like that.
lol I hear you. But since he doesn't have much time left most likely, he has no reason not to fight. Whether it's pride, revenge, or he feels he was wronged, he's gonna go down swinging.

Truth be told, I don't care all that much, as long as it isn't a big story going forward, and doesn't distract/detract from actual the basketball being played (especially if there is some sort of protest/hold out by players next year).

bagelred
06-09-2014, 10:09 PM
I hope Sterling wins. Sterling shouldn't be forced to sell a $2 billion franchise that he's owned for 30 years over one illegally recorded PRIVATE phone conversation......in which he simply gave his opinion on PRIVATE matters concerning him and girlfriend. PRIVATELY. Did I mention it was private?

irondarts
06-09-2014, 10:10 PM
2 Billion means nothing to Sterling. He's in his 80's and is already a billionaire. Being the owner of the Clippers means more to him then having an extra 2 Billion that he doesn't need at this point in his life.

The dude is insane though.

oh the horror
06-09-2014, 10:10 PM
I hope Sterling wins. Sterling shouldn't be forced to sell a $2 billion franchise that he's owned for 30 years over one illegally recorded PRIVATE phone conversation......in which he simply gave his opinion on PRIVATE matters concerning him and girlfriend. PRIVATELY. Did I mention it was private?

A private convo that he agreed could be recorded.

That's his bad bro.

Beastmode88
06-09-2014, 10:11 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!:lol

Solefade
06-09-2014, 10:12 PM
christ, just take the L and move on, you're still rich AF

bagelred
06-09-2014, 10:15 PM
A private convo that he agreed could be recorded.

That's his bad bro.

[QUOTE]Sterling, in a response to the NBA

All Net
06-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Why bother doing this when you have no chance. Just stupid.

guy
06-09-2014, 10:20 PM

Well he should if he agreed to the terms of the bylaws.

AceManIII
06-09-2014, 10:20 PM

I guess everyone should just ignore the comments since they were made in private

AceManIII
06-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Shelly losing out :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

DetroitPistonFan
06-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Going against your hero LeBron? He wants to see them force Sterling to sell the Clippers.

coin24
06-09-2014, 10:26 PM

This:applause:

Soundwave
06-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Sterling's kids like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" :oldlol: :oldlol:

longtime lurker
06-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Holy shit. Die already old man.

Fixed.

Derka
06-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Can this old prick just keel over already?

BallsOut
06-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Why bother doing this when you have no chance. Just stupid.

He does have a chance. As bagelred already stated:

Private conversations cannot be recorded without consent. Unless there's proof of him consenting to being recorded (which I doubt), the NBA is the one that has no chance.

Smook A.
06-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Fuuuuuck!

Go away already! 2 Billion is a ton of money. Just take the damn thing and leave. Holy shit man.

lilgodfather1
06-09-2014, 10:39 PM
This is the NBA story that keeps on giving. God what a treat this whole situation has been.

I honestly don't blame Sterling. He has nothing to lose. The team is now valued at 2B, the NBA can't make him sell for less than that now, and best case, he keeps the team.

Akrazotile
This is gold :roll:

longtime lurker
He does have a chance. As bagelred already stated:

Private conversations cannot be recorded without consent. Unless there's proof of him consenting to being recorded (which I doubt), the NBA is the one that has no chance.

Yeah too bad there's no way you can erase everyone's memory to forget what he said. The private recording is irrelevant considering this has everything to do with NBA bylaws.

BallsOut
06-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Yeah too bad there's no way you can erase everyone's memory to forget what he said. The private recording is irrelevant considering this has everything to do with NBA bylaws.

Not being able to record a private recording is not irrelevant. It's American law. At the end of the day, no business stipulations can overthrow an American law in a federal court.

BallsOut
06-09-2014, 10:44 PM
And for the record, **** the league. If Sterling wins, its karma for Stern vetoing the agreed upon Laker's Chris Paul trade for basketball reasons while he idly stood by and allowed the 3 queens in Miami to collude and form a superstar trio team.

ballup
06-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Somebody is booty bothered so much.

zoom17
06-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Just when you thought it was over:roll:

longtime lurker
06-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Not being able to record a private recording is not irrelevant. It's American law. At the end of the day, no business stipulations can overthrow an American law in a federal court.

Of course its irrelevant. If Sterling's lawyers thought he had a chance he wouldn't have agreed to the sale. Private conversation that was leaked to the public, not leaked by the NBA, but they have to deal with the fall out. I'm sure that the NBA with it's payroll of lawyers didn't conduct a thorough investigation into the situation, but Bagelred and Ballsout with their degrees from Mickey Mouse University know more about the law :rolleyes:

3LiftHeatCurse
06-09-2014, 10:50 PM
This is the NBA story that keeps on giving. God what a treat this whole situation has been.

I honestly don't blame Sterling. He has nothing to lose. The team is now valued at 2B, the NBA can't make him sell for less than that now, and best case, he keeps the team.

dude.... Sterling is smart. I wouldn't be surprised if that whole "my wife will sell the team and take over" stuff and getting Steve Ballmer involved was PLANNED OUT to value the franchise at $2 bil so he can then go into a fight with the NBA

Rasheed1
06-09-2014, 10:50 PM
Sterling's an old racist idiot

hawkfan
06-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Dude wants another 500 million.

DStebb716
06-09-2014, 10:52 PM

The term "alpha" has become such an overused joke on this board. Being a racist asshole doesn't make you "alpha." It makes you ignorant. Pretty large difference.

longtime lurker
06-09-2014, 10:59 PM
The term "alpha" has become such an overused joke on this board. Being a racist asshole doesn't make you "alpha." It makes you ignorant. Pretty large difference.

Not to mention there's nothing alpha about caring what your friends think about who your girlfriend takes pictures with. Sounds more like an insecure beta. No wonder so many posers on this site look up to him.

kamil
06-09-2014, 11:00 PM
NBA is getting trolled by Sterling.

ZenMaster
06-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Of course its irrelevant. If Sterling's lawyers thought he had a chance he wouldn't have agreed to the sale. Private conversation that was leaked to the public, not leaked by the NBA, but they have to deal with the fall out. I'm sure that the NBA with it's payroll of lawyers didn't conduct a thorough investigation into the situation, but Bagelred and Ballsout with their degrees from Mickey Mouse University know more about the law :rolleyes:

They did come with a bunch of allegations, then they gave him 5 business days and a holiday weekend to respond while locking him out of the office that contains information he needs to for his response. Part of his suit is that he wasn't allowed due process.

Straight_Ballin
06-09-2014, 11:03 PM

But.....but.....but....the NBA has it's own set if rules.
But.....but.....but....the NBA needs to protect its image.
But....but......but....

Fvck all that nonsense. I hope he makes it hell for those that oppose him and that those that do have many sleepless nights.

ballup
06-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Sterling being forced to sell the team cuts the future losses. If Sterling stays as the owner, less people would go to Clipper games because they don't want to support Sterling. And if you are going to say screw the NBA's rules, then the other 29 teams can refuse to visit or host the Clippers. Who the Clippers going to play, a pickup team?

gts
06-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Feel bad for Clippers fans... They had resolution in this mess, a new owner who though limited by the CBA still has enough money to pay taxes should they feel the need and truly seems like he wants to own a team because he's a BB fan first...

Now messes again, now we're going to be hearing bout players wanting out of their contracts, Dr Rivers and crew may be in the wind...

Ultimately Sterling will lose, I seriously doubt the case ever goes to trial the way the NBA constitution is structured but until then the man just keeps screwing up, this is the problem when lawyers become their own clients... Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see some of his own legal team walk away in the future

Spurs5Rings2014
06-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Not to mention there's nothing alpha about caring what your friends think about who your girlfriend takes pictures with. Sounds more like an insecure beta. No wonder so many posers on this site look up to him.

:applause:

Someone who actually understands the alpha mentality on this board. If there's one thing I hate more than a racist, it's a beta and his beta followers. I hope the NBA voids the Clippers' franchise and Sterling gets a big fat 0. Betas don't deserve to win anything. Old man should go back to being blackmailed by his side hoe, crying to her in recorded phone conversations, crying about being a fool to think she could ever love an old fart such as himself and caring about what other men his friends see her with at his games. Beta to the max.

:oldlol:

Straight_Ballin
06-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Feel bad for Clippers fans... They had resolution in this mess, a new owner who though limited by the CBA still has enough money to pay taxes should they feel the need and truly seems like he wants to own a team because he's a BB fan first...

Now messes again, now we're going to be hearing bout players wanting out of their contracts, Dr Rivers and crew may be in the wind...

Ultimately Sterling will lose, I seriously doubt the case ever goes to trial the way the NBA constitution is structured but until then the man just keeps screwing up, this is the problem when lawyers become their own clients... Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see some of his own legal team walk away in the future

Legal team walk away... lol that's not happening. These guys are getting paid more than Jonny Cochran son!

NumberSix
06-09-2014, 11:40 PM
He's an idiot. He can't sue. His trust agreed to pay any damages of future lawsuits. He'll be suing his own trust.

kennethgriffin
06-09-2014, 11:46 PM
contract the team

sterling will lose 2 billion

3LiftHeatCurse
06-09-2014, 11:47 PM
contract the team

sterling will lose 2 billion

Actually, since Sterling played possum and made Steve Ballmer offer $2 billion, that means that if the NBA contracts the team, they would owe Donald Sterling $2 billion. Any court of law would rule in his favor. The NBA would have to shell out 2 bill out of their own pockets.

LakersFan626
06-09-2014, 11:58 PM
It should be illegal to do what the NBA is doing to Sterling.

I hope he prevails.

So, you want racism to prevail? There's right wing, and there's this. After what he said, he should keep the team in a league that's full of... BLACK PEOPLE?

Sterling not having the team is what's best for the league.

qrich
06-10-2014, 12:09 AM
http://www.mypokecard.com/en/Gallery/my/galery/yXQ3Qhbxg3KU.jpg

qrich
06-10-2014, 12:12 AM

Worst part is, Balmer is reportedly in discussions to purchase the Kings along with the Staples Center. :facepalm

G-train
06-10-2014, 12:51 AM
Was always going to happen, and he will probably win.

gts
06-10-2014, 12:51 AM
Russillo ‏@ryenarussillo
Breaking news. Donald Sterling has turned down the Chris Paul trade. CP3 headed back to New Orleans.

G-train
06-10-2014, 12:53 AM
So, you want racism to prevail? There's right wing, and there's this. After what he said, he should keep the team in a league that's full of... BLACK PEOPLE?

He should have lost team years ago, but he didn't, and I doubt he will now.

inclinerator
06-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Alzheimer, he probably forgot what he said before

dude77
06-10-2014, 01:30 AM

:facepalm lol all this fake outrage .. don't act like y'all give a shit about 'racism' now .. you and everyone else have been watching the nba for years while sterling has been an owner .. and he's been an owner for 30 yrs with the backing of his commissioner and owners .. the amount of irony is comical

R.I.P.
06-10-2014, 02:24 AM

And who do you think Sterling employs? Waitresses from Hooters? :lol

The NBA

Adam Silver
06-10-2014, 02:26 AM
Sterling... it's on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/mori/you-gonna-get-raped.jpg

SacJB Shady
06-10-2014, 03:10 AM
Sterling will prevail! Fukc 2 billion!!

bdreason
06-10-2014, 03:30 AM
If being a racist means you can't own an NBA team.... about half the teams in the league should probably be sold.

brantonli
06-10-2014, 03:32 AM
He's an idiot. He can't sue. His trust agreed to pay any damages of future lawsuits. He'll be suing his own trust.

Is this actually true? :lol

fiddy
06-10-2014, 03:45 AM
If being a racist means you can't own an NBA team.... about half the teams in the league should probably be sold.
to black and asian owners for diversity

Akrazotile
06-10-2014, 03:49 AM

Including MJ's :lol

dude77
06-10-2014, 04:29 AM
he'll probably change his mind again in a few days :oldlol: ..

so what will happen if a court rules in his favor and says the nba must return the team to him ?

GimmeThat
06-10-2014, 04:33 AM
Well, the owners can convince Sterling to not fight the NBA. Or I suspect the by-laws will be modified depending on how this incident plays out.

In the situtation where Sterling loses his law suit and Mark Cuban doesn't support that of altering the by-laws.

Then I guess Mark Cuban may never stop his struggle with being a bigot.

Kiddlovesnets
06-10-2014, 10:05 AM
I feel really sorry for Clippers fans.
:rolleyes:

gts
06-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Is this actually true? :lol

Yes,

Donald Sterling's estranged wife has agreed to indemnify the league from any lawsuits, including those from Donald, related to the $2 billion offer from Steve Ballmer that the Sterling Family Trust accepted.

The indemnification is actually part of the sale to Ballmer, since it is technically still being carried out at gunpoint, and includes an agreement to not sue the league on behalf of Shelly Sterling and the trust. The indemnity means, essentially, that the trust will secure the league against anything that happens in a suit. This will help move the deal forward on both sides, but it's an especially big win for the NBA. It is sort of a crazy move on the part of the trust, but it seems like Shelly just wants to push this thing through at all costs; this ensures Shelly's going to get paid. Still, a deal like this represents a sizable bet against Donald on the part of the Trust.

HurricaneKid
06-10-2014, 10:20 AM
The Clippers are owned by the Sterling Family Trust which is a joint venture owned 50% by Shelly and 50% by Donald. Shelly asked the court to declare Donald mentally incapacitated. SHE WON. Donald still owns 50% of the trust but is no longer an acting trustee. Shelly is the only trustee and she is the one that negotiated the sale. The league also got her to put in quite a few provisions excluding the Sterlings from suing them. Shelly got the wheels greased to go through fast and gets her billion dollars.

The problem is that Donald doesn't have a lot of recourse. He can sue the league but the trust that owns the team just released them from all liability. He has to sue the trust, which is half his. Suing yourself is idiotic. He got completely outmanuevered by the league and his wife and it doesn't matter what he wants anymore. He isn't a trustee and has no power within the trust. I'm sure his lawyer likes having a dying man with billions writing him checks but it feels to me like this is over and its just about bilking the old man.

We are talking about someone who was just legally pronounced mentally incapacitated suing himself at this point. And some of you dumbasses think he is going to win.

East_Stone_Ya
06-10-2014, 10:31 AM
yeah way to go Sterling :applause:

Akrazotile
06-10-2014, 10:32 AM
The Clippers are owned by the Sterling Family Trust which is a joint venture owned 50% by Shelly and 50% by Donald. Shelly asked the court to declare Donald mentally incapacitated. SHE WON. Donald still owns 50% of the trust but is no longer an acting trustee. Shelly is the only trustee and she is the one that negotiated the sale. The league also got her to put in quite a few provisions excluding the Sterlings from suing them. Shelly got the wheels greased to go through fast and gets her billion dollars.

The problem is that Donald doesn't have a lot of recourse. He can sue the league but the trust that owns the team just released them from all liability. He has to sue the trust, which is half his. Suing yourself is idiotic. He got completely outmanuevered by the league and his wife and it doesn't matter what he wants anymore. He isn't a trustee and has no power within the trust. I'm sure his lawyer likes having a dying man with billions writing him checks but it feels to me like this is over and its just about bilking the old man.

We are talking about someone who was just legally pronounced mentally incapacitated suing himself at this point. And some of you dumbasses think he is going to win.

Well what about Magic? Can you tell me? Big Magic Johnson, what has he ever done??

lilgodfather1
06-10-2014, 10:42 AM
dude.... Sterling is smart. I wouldn't be surprised if that whole "my wife will sell the team and take over" stuff and getting Steve Ballmer involved was PLANNED OUT to value the franchise at $2 bil so he can then go into a fight with the NBA
The whole thing had to have been part of his plan. If he dies while in court, then Shelly can sell for 2B again, and not pay a penny of capital gains tax, compared to the what was it 750 million evaluation it previously held. That would have been a tax hit of 125 million I believe. Now the tax hit would only come into play for anything over 2B.

lilgodfather1
06-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Well what about Magic? Can you tell me? Big Magic Johnson, what has he ever done??
The wording of this creeps me out. Big Magic's Johnson...

brantonli
06-10-2014, 10:53 AM

I suspect at some point, Sterling will realise this, and start suing his own lawyers.

Brokenbeat
06-10-2014, 10:53 AM
I feel really sorry for Clippers fans.
:rolleyes:

Why? It's not like they were fans before this guy bought the team. They knew damn well who their owner was. :confusedshrug:

D-Rose
06-10-2014, 10:55 AM
and in a week, Sterling will wake up and change his mind.

DuMa
06-10-2014, 10:58 AM
at this point, its just sad that dementia has set in and he is gonna make a lot people sweat for nothing

GimmeThat
06-10-2014, 11:27 AM
but he's actually winning his argument.

because if you now say you don't take his public statement seriously,
you certainly can't take his private statement seriously!

well, as long as it is owned by the trust, which Shelly has access to, the second he declared him to be medical ill, Shelly then had full control over it.

Which Shelly may had been able to keep it and if she was able to declare that none of her husbands statement means anything.

So, of course, Shelly can pick being the owner of a basketball club over someone who has just been declared ill, all while being her wife in front of the whole world.

Unless she wants to get a divorce from him because of the cheating scandal, then Donald Sterling's life has truly been destroyed by some random girl. Without assuming he was medically ill before he met her.

Which again, being divorced because you are medically ill.

Does true love exist?

R.I.P.
06-10-2014, 12:14 PM

Only a judge can declare a person mentally incompetent and that

gts
06-10-2014, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Only a judge can declare a person mentally incompetent and that

R.I.P.
06-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Actually not true in this case..

The family trust had guidelines built in that don't require a judges decision to declare Sterling or his wife mentally incapacitated.. Two doctors are all that's required

"However if he has been declared mentally incapacitated that would take him out of the picture. Under the terms of the trust he did not have to be declared incapacitated by a court of law, the structures are different, Shelburne reports."

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/29/report-donald-sterling-declared-mentally-incompetent-clears-way-for-sale-of-team-to-ballmer/

Well if ESPN and Shelly Sterling say so it must be true. Why you think she is suddenly looking for an emergency court hearing, if she didn