PDA

View Full Version : Which player would you want to see in today's NBA?

Milbuck
06-10-2014, 12:46 AM
If you could take any player from NBA history and put them in today's NBA, who would it be and which year? The player can also already be in the league, you could pick an earlier version of them. Like 2004 KG, 2006 Nash, 2001 Kobe, etc.

For me it would be 2000 Shaq. Would love to see him go against Bargnani.

Marchesk
06-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Any version of Wilt before his knee injury.

Although prime Dr J would be awesome as well. Would like to see Lebron try to guard him.

buddha
06-10-2014, 12:51 AM
Michael Jordan. so all the LeBran fan boys can see how much a bitch he truly is... actually all the LeBran fan boys would just be Michael Jordan fan boys since they have no real principles. I guess Bill Russell, so everyone can see how much of a scrub he is.

Marchesk
06-10-2014, 12:53 AM
Who I'd most like to see in order:

1. Wilt
2. ABA Dr J
3. 1981 Sidney Moncrief
4. 1961 Oscar
5. 1961 Baylor

RonSwanson
06-10-2014, 12:53 AM
Early 2000s Shaq is a great one. Wilt/Russell because of their skepticism would be another. But, I would absolutely LOVE to see Charles Barkely in this new era of hybrid "3s". I don't care if he was actually 6'4, he'd be awesome to watch again against this talent.

plowking
06-10-2014, 12:54 AM
Earl Monroe.

He already had a modern type game, and it would be interesting to see how he would play in today's league.

Rodmantheman
Bill Russel

JimmyMcAdocious
2013 Westbrook.

GOATbrook vs GOATbrook? The Earth would crumble upon their meeting.

Prometheus
06-10-2014, 12:55 AM
Wilt Chamberlain

I'd say Jordan, but I already know he would still be the greatest in the world (I love you LeBron, but sorry... Jordan was better than you).

Wilt I'm honestly not 100% sure about. I give him the benefit of the doubt, that he would dominate in any era. But maybe not? It would be so intriguing.

fpliii
06-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Any of the all-time greats that I didn't have a chance to see and for whome there's not much footage would be great (Russell, Wilt, Oscar, prime Kareem). So would some of the great peak centers of our time (Shaq, Hakeem, etc.).

I'm gonna go with two guys though:

1) Larry Bird. Dude would destroy this league, with stretch fours being in vogue. Even though he was a great shooter, he really shouldn't have been playing the three in Boston. Just a matter of fit since they had McHale+Parish (and eventually Walton). At PF, he's by no means a defensive liability, since he's good guarding the post, and an excellent team/help defender.

2) Charles Barkley. Could get to the rim at will. Always finished strong. Definitely needed to cover him with more than one guy. Would be very interesting to see how his coaches today would play him, and how opposing teams would try to slow him down.

Young MJ is interesting too obviously. Would he develop more range? Would he bulk up earlier? Interesting to think about for sure.

Marchesk
06-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Wilt I'm honestly not 100% sure about. I give him the benefit of the doubt, that he would dominate in any era. But maybe not? It would be so intriguing.

It would be. I think it's safe to say he would lead the league in shot blocks and probably rebounding. His scoring and FG% are the question marks. Would be interesting to see how he was used. Some of Cavs video highlights show a very mobile Wilt with excellent hands and timing, and a very nice touch.

Marchesk
06-10-2014, 12:59 AM
2) Charles Barkley. Could get to the rim at will. Always finished strong. .

That's another player I'd love to see Lebron try to guard. Barkley has the combination of strength and explosiveness. But he's shorter.

Threethrows
06-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Derrick Rose

CavaliersFTW
06-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Wilt Chamberlain would be the 8th wonder of the athletic world, crowned a living god with today's social media and athletic highlights and coverage. Every week in the offseason would be another youtube highlight about some athletic feat he did in his free time, be it iphone footage of him showing up bodybuilders at a gym, outrunning track and field athletes at some track event, showing up pro football players on a field, or during the NBA season just absolutely dwarfing and manhandling every one we currently consider "dominant athletes" in the NBA today like they were children.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-10-2014, 01:07 AM
George Mikan

Prometheus
06-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Derrick Rose

:oldlol:

Milbuck
06-10-2014, 01:09 AM
Young MJ is interesting too obviously. Would he develop more range? Would he bulk up earlier? Interesting to think about for sure.
Honestly don't think he would have to do either of those things until much further in his career. It would probably take him longer to develop his complete game today considering that literally no one would be able to stop him when he was young. The game has shifted to favor perimeter players so much that I just cannot picture anyone being able to contain MJ during his athletic peak, which would postpone the development of his overall game. The Bad Boys Pistons wouldn't be here to force Michael into weight training and putting on muscle. He'd be slashing against the likes of Hibbert, Bosh, 38 year old Duncan, etc.

fpliii
06-10-2014, 01:15 AM
Wilt Chamberlain would be the 8th wonder of the athletic world, crowned a living god with today's social media and athletic highlights and coverage. Every week in the offseason would be another youtube highlight about some athletic feat he did in his free time, be it iphone footage of him showing up bodybuilders at a gym, outrunning track and field athletes at some track event, showing up pro football players on a field, or during the NBA season just absolutely dwarfing and manhandling every one we currently consider "dominant athletes" in the NBA today like they were children.
OT - In another thread you recently mentioned that you found some new Wilt FGA? What kinds of shots were they?

Also, what're your thoughts on the two Nate quotes regarding how often Wilt used his fadeaway (though I think we've discussed in the past, and you'd mentioned that he'd mostly retired it by the end of the 60s...or maybe that was Fresco/Laz/PHILA)?

russwest0
06-10-2014, 01:15 AM
Dennis Rodman.

Young X
06-10-2014, 01:21 AM
Late 80's MJ would SHIT on this current league so badly. Shit would be ugly. :oldlol:

How are you supposed to stop someone that explosive with no handchecking? No physical defense? No 7 footers allowed to camp in the lane and flagrant foul?

If ****** can't stop Westbrook imagine what MJ would do to this league?

fpliii
06-10-2014, 01:23 AM
Late 80's MJ would SHIT on this current league so badly. Shit would be ugly. :oldlol:

How are you supposed to stop someone that explosive with no handchecking? No physical defense? No 7 footers allowed to camp in the lane and flagrant foul?

Pretty much. Can't pack the paint since even when he was young, his jumper was wet.

Marchesk
06-10-2014, 01:25 AM
Pretty much. Can't pack the paint since even when he was young, his jumper was wet.

No more Hibbert-style verticality either. Not that Jordan would have let that stop him.

atljonesbro
06-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Jordan to see how he'd respond to the more advanced defenses today. Also how he'd respond to actual competition on the perimeter.

Marchesk
06-10-2014, 01:27 AM
Jordan to see how he'd respond to the more advanced defenses today. Also how he'd respond to actual competition on the perimeter.

Because there were no other good perimeter players during his era. :coleman:

RoundMoundOfReb
06-10-2014, 01:29 AM

When exactly were they allowed to do that?

plowking
06-10-2014, 01:30 AM

It'd actually be the exact opposite.

There would be so much more talk about these miraculous feats, since he'd never perform them in front of a camera. People would wonder why...

atljonesbro
06-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Because there were no other good perimeter players during his era. :coleman:
He faced Reggie Miller and John Starks every year :facepalm One a borderline allstar the other a role player

Marchesk
06-10-2014, 01:33 AM
He faced Reggie Miller and John Starks every year :facepalm One a borderline allstar the other a role player

So Clyde Drexler, Gary Payton, John Stockton, Isiah Thomas, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Sydney Moncrief, Mitch Richmond don't count?

atljonesbro
06-10-2014, 01:37 AM
So Clyde Drexler, Gary Payton, John Stockton, Isiah Thomas, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Sydney Moncrief, Mitch Richmond don't count?
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Half those players Jordan played when he was losing. As soon as they retired or degressed Jordan started winning. Then you have PG's. The only one's he faced were well past prime Drexler and Mitch Richmond who really wasn't that special.

CavaliersFTW
06-10-2014, 01:37 AM
OT - In another thread you recently mentioned that you found some new Wilt FGA? What kinds of shots were they?

Also, what're your thoughts on the two Nate quotes regarding how often Wilt used his fadeaway (though I think we've discussed in the past, and you'd mentioned that he'd mostly retired it by the end of the 60s...or maybe that was Fresco/Laz/PHILA)?
I have a dunk and a turn around jumper of Wilt that I had missed from two sources. And those Thurmond quotes aren't new quotes they're very old, those have been around for years, they don't change my opinion of Wilt because I've known about them for a long time.

I think Wilt reduced taking the fade away from the right block but I retract my initial theory that he outright retired it. Might have at times reduced taking the shot under coaches requests, but I'm not sure Phila would probably have more quotes to indicate which seasons under which coaches he'd have done that. I have footage of him attempting (but missing) two right block fade aways in both the 1973 NBA Finals game vs Knicks (his last game ever) and the 1969 ASG so even that shot obviously wasn't out of his repertoire by his very last NBA game at the end of his career.

fpliii
06-10-2014, 01:40 AM
I have a dunk and a turn around jumper of Wilt that I had missed from two sources. And those Thurmond quotes aren't new quotes they're very old, those have been around for years, they don't change my opinion of Wilt because I've known about them for a long time.

I think Wilt reduced taking the fade away from the right block but I retract my initial theory that he outright retired it. Might have at times reduced taking the shot under coaches requests, but I'm not sure Phila would probably have more quotes to indicate which seasons under which coaches he'd have done that. I have footage of him attempting (but missing) two right block fade aways in both the 1973 NBA Finals game vs Knicks (his last game ever) and the 1969 ASG so even that shot obviously wasn't out of his repertoire by his very last NBA game at the end of his career.

Would love to see them when you have a chance (are you gonna add them to the mix at some point, or just upload them separately?).

Interesting that he limited his use to the right block, though I guess since he was an "opportune" scorer, he must've figured it was a reliable weapon from there.

I saw PHILA post tonight I think, so would be interested in him chiming in if he reads this thread.

Young X
06-10-2014, 01:43 AM
:oldlol: @ talking about perimeter players like the SG position isn't TRASH right now.

MJ would BODY this league if he was playing right now. There would be no way to stop him. :oldlol:

So Michael Jordan's gonna have problems going up against the likes of James Harden, 33 year old D-Wade, Paul George, and Monta Ellis? Word?

Fukk outta here.

Milbuck
06-10-2014, 01:43 AM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Half those players Jordan played when he was losing. As soon as they retired or degressed Jordan started winning. Then you have PG's. The only one's he faced were well past prime Drexler and Mitch Richmond who really wasn't that special.
Yes, because James Harden, Derozan, Beal, Ellis, old ass Wade, etc and the current golden era of shooting guards are going to lock him up, right?

Anyways, it doesn't really matter because no one today is containing peak athletic MJ out on the perimeter. The best shot against him would be interior defense. The best way of stopping him was beating the shit out of him on drives, which is what happened to him in his era.

Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq, Ewing, Zo, etc. >>> Hibbert, Dwight, DJ, Gasol, Noah, etc.

For everything this era has going for it out on the perimeter, it's shat on when you consider big men.

atljonesbro
06-10-2014, 01:46 AM
:oldlol: @ talking about perimeter players like the SG position isn't TRASH right now.

So Michael Jordan's gonna have problems going up against the likes of James Harden, 33 year old D-Wade, Paul George, and Monta Ellis? Word?

MJ would BODY this league if he was playing. There would be no way to stop him. :oldlol:

Players like Parker, Westbrook, George are being considered top 5 players, yet MJ would have to adjust?

**** outta here
Paul George is honestly better than any SG Jordan ever faced outside of Drexler. Not to mention he'd match up against Bron and Durant as well? Those two alone equate to more competition than Jordan had in his entire career.

Marchesk
06-10-2014, 01:48 AM
Paul George is honestly better than any SG Jordan ever faced outside of Drexler. Not to mention he'd match up against Bron and Durant as well? Those two alone equate to more competition than Jordan had in his entire career.

Paul George is better than Reggie Miller? :wtf:

Solefade
06-10-2014, 01:48 AM
would love to see a prime kobe vs prime lebron in the finals

2007 cavs vs 2007 lakers

atljonesbro
06-10-2014, 01:49 AM
Reggie Miller is one of the top 5 most overrated players of all time just because of a few signature shots.

Milbuck
06-10-2014, 01:52 AM
would love to see a prime kobe vs prime lebron in the finals

2007 cavs vs 2007 lakers
The individual matchup would be sick, but the actual series would be repulsive. That Cavs squad was awful, and the Lakers even shittier.

I think if you took the best version of their championship teams and put their peak version of them on those teams, that would be incredible. 2009 Lakers with 2003 or 2006 Kobe vs 2012 Heat (I think Lebron was at his peak there) would be a legendary series.

Legends66NBA7
06-10-2014, 01:52 AM
Paul George is honestly better than any SG Jordan ever faced outside of Drexler.

George is not a SG.

Young X
06-10-2014, 01:55 AM
Not to mention he'd match up against Bron and Durant as well? Those two alone equate to more competition than Jordan had in his entire career.Jordan went up against Magic, Bird, Drexler, Wilkins, Payton, KJ, Hill, Miller, Richmond, Rice, Mullin, Stockton, both Hardaways etc. That's less competition? :oldlol:

Lakers Legend#32
06-10-2014, 01:56 AM
Magic Johnson, he would completely dominate again.

J Shuttlesworth
06-10-2014, 01:57 AM
Wilt or Russell for sure... Would love to see how the eras compare

Asukal
06-10-2014, 01:58 AM

Hahahaha Paul George?! :roll: :lol :oldlol: :applause:

Solefade
06-10-2014, 01:58 AM
The individual matchup would be sick, but the actual series would be repulsive. That Cavs squad was awful, and the Lakers even shittier.

I think if you took the best version of their championship teams and put their peak version of them on those teams, that would be incredible. 2009 Lakers with 2003 or 2006 Kobe vs 2012 Heat (I think Lebron was at his peak there) would be a legendary series.

i agree, 2009 lakers with a 2006 kobe vs 2012 heat w/ 2009 lebron would be more fun to watch though

Legends66NBA7
06-10-2014, 01:59 AM

Miller isn't even the best out of the bunch he excluded.

Sidney Moncrief would be the best overall pick. There's also Joe Dumars, Mitch Richmond, Latrell Sprewell, etc... I would have included George Gervin, but he only played 2 seasons against a young Jordan. His second last season was still an all-star worthy one.

It wouldn't really matter what era of SG Jordan would be in, though. He would be #1 if he was facing whichever era of competition at that position.

atljonesbro
06-10-2014, 02:00 AM
Jordan went up against Magic, Bird, Drexler, Wilkins, Payton, KJ, Hill, Miller, Richmond, Rice, Mullin, Stockton, both Hardaways etc. That's less competition? :oldlol:
Yes lmao. Bolded the ones he didn't really go up against. Listing Pg's a players who owned Jordan in the 80s :facepalm .

GimmeThat
06-10-2014, 02:01 AM
Isiah Thomas

atljonesbro
06-10-2014, 02:02 AM
Miller isn't even the best out of the bunch he excluded.

Sidney Moncrief would be the best overall pick. There's also Joe Dumars, Mitch Richmond, Latrell Sprewell, etc... I would have included George Gervin, but he only played 2 seasons against a young Jordan. His second last season was still an all-star worthy one.

It wouldn't really matter what era of SG Jordan would be in, though. He would be #1 if he was facing whichever era of competition at that position.
His legendary 25 mpg performances with 11 /3 from 1987 on really took a toll on Jordan :applause:

Legends66NBA7
06-10-2014, 02:03 AM
His legendary 25 mpg performances with 11 /3 from 1987 on really took a toll on Jordan :applause:

Huh ?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312018

atljonesbro
06-10-2014, 02:06 AM
Huh ?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312018
Guy was irrelevant or retired pretty much all of Jordan's career.

fpliii
06-10-2014, 02:07 AM
He was finished at that point due to injuries. Citing that as an example is disingenuous. He arguably outplayed MJ in 85:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1985_EC1.html#MIL-CHI

fpliii
06-10-2014, 02:08 AM
Guy was irrelevant or retired pretty much all of Jordan's career.
But you said:

atljonesbro
06-10-2014, 02:10 AM
But you said:
I guess, but like I said, he was irrelevant/retired for pretty much all of Jordan's career. I was talking about players he had to match up with a good portion of his career.

Legends66NBA7
06-10-2014, 02:11 AM
But you said:

And pretty much how I responded. Even Gervin was an all-star in his 2nd last season during Jordan's rookie season.

Jordan is also one of the better rookies to play the game on the wing too, if not the best rookie at that the guard. He wasn't just any young rookie.

stalkerforlife
Bird, easily.

I'd like to see him destroy these athletes with skill and toughness.

Young X
Yes lmao. Bolded the ones he didn't really go up against. Listing Pg's a players who owned Jordan in the 80s :facepalm .You mentioned Bron and Durant who are 6-8 and 6-11 forwards. How is that any different?

MJ could probably average up to 40 in this league if he was on a bad enough team. There's no handchecking, no physicality on defense - players like Westbrook and Harden can just run into defenders and get FT's, imagine how much Jordan would live at the line?

fpliii
06-10-2014, 02:14 AM
I guess, but like I said, he was irrelevant/retired for pretty much all of Jordan's career. I was talking about players he had to match up with a good portion of his career.
Fair enough. But don't you think between Moncrief, Payton, Dumars he faced some decent defenders? Rodman a bit too.

poido123
06-10-2014, 02:16 AM
Fcking Rodman and Jordan.

Hands down most entertaining players the league has seen.

No bias. :D

atljonesbro
06-10-2014, 02:18 AM
Fair enough. But don't you think between Moncrief, Payton, Dumars he faced some decent defenders? Rodman a bit too.
Yes but when you play a career as long as Jordan had you're bound to face some good defenders. In comparison to other star perimeter players in NBA history his competition level is extremely low. Another flaw in the Jordan competition argument is they are comparing his entire career's competition to 2014's competition. If you widen the scope from 2014 back to 2000 the competition level Jordan would have had to face would be extremely favorable to that time frame.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-10-2014, 02:19 AM
When exactly were they allowed to do that?
Still wating for an answer to this. This is one of the most blatant lies nostalgic fans tell to prop up 90s players to demigod status.

fpliii
06-10-2014, 02:21 AM
Yes but when you play a career as long as Jordan had you're bound to face some good defenders. In comparison to other star perimeter players in NBA history his competition level is extremely low. Another flaw in the Jordan competition argument is they are comparing his entire career's competition to 2014's competition. If you widen the scope from 2014 back to 2000 the competition level Jordan would have had to face would be extremely favorable to that time frame.
1) True, but isn't that the point? If we want to see how he'd fare against good defenders, we can look at those matchups. Same if we want to see how he'd play against physical defenses or teams packing the paint (we can look at DET, NYK, MIA with Mourning, CLE to some extent, maybe even LAL with Dunleavy...Pistons and Knicks in particular are good teams to look at, but obviously in the 2.9 era with Thibs-inspired defenses things wouldn't be the same).

2) Agree with that 100%.

Cold soul
06-10-2014, 02:30 AM
There's way too many to name for me.
Hakeem
Magic
Wilt
Bird
ABA Dr J

pauk
06-10-2014, 02:33 AM
Michael Jordan. so all the LeBran fan boys can see how much a bitch he truly is... actually all the LeBran fan boys would just be Michael Jordan fan boys since they have no real principles. I guess Bill Russell, so everyone can see how much of a scrub he is.

Careful with that MJ-Lebron wish, because there is a chance it could work another way instead, a way you might not like.... Lebron has a different game, but is unfortunately that prominent of a player.... more than good enough to truly show some fan boys (like you) how hyperbolically you have been overestimating MJ compared to Lebron...

poido123
06-10-2014, 02:37 AM
Pretty much the top 10 alltime all in their primes.

Bird v Magic Kobe Wilt and Kareem :eek:

Jordan v Lebron

Duncan v Kareem

The matchups are endless and mouthwatering...

greymatter
06-10-2014, 02:43 AM
Definitely Wilt.

If all the accounts of his abilities were accurate, it'd be like seeing Usain Bolt back in the 1950s. I want to see a 7'1" guy with a reported 48" sergeant jump who had 48+mpg stamina do his thing wreaking havoc in the paint and regularly swatting 10+ shots a game.

kureyşi-gospurs
06-10-2014, 03:59 AM
Wilt, Pistol Pete, Young Penny Hardaway, Dwyane Wade pre-injury

joeyjoejoe
06-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Oscar, Elgin, Barkley, Malone, drexler

Ancient Legend
06-10-2014, 05:51 AM
1-MJ
2-Larry

Flash31
06-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Wilt--there's no dominant 8 man HOF laden Team in his way EVERy Year gameplanned to stop him,
no Russell,no Thurmond,no Kareem,No Baylor,No Handchecking,
a Slower Pace which can conserve his energy and make him more efficient and impactful,

and most of all There is no HOF big man and no Great Big Man playing today
The ones who can play D are either too small or too short(Davis,Dwight,Hibbert)
or iq is lacking or they have o but avg d at best and yet again are too short or too small or too slow

Marc gasol,Noah,Dwight would get destroyed

And then pair Wilt up with a star pg or wingman and Its Over
He Becomes the Bill Russell of winning putting up Untouchable numbers

Shaq---There is no c or big men who could contain or slow him down
An old Shaq was still getting his against Prime Dwight
A Prime Shaq would be a nightmare,a juggernaut

Oscar Robertson--the Triple Double Machine and the Goat Playmaking Pg in History,I mean if they kept track of assists as they do no,there's no q he would have at least 20,000 assists
He was one of the biggest and strongest pg and was an exceptional post player and good defender

Kareem---he was dominant in his time but now with the big men today and rules
Hed be even greater

So Top 5

Wilt,Shaq,Kareem,Oscar,Moses Malone

BoutPractice
06-10-2014, 07:39 AM
He Becomes the Bill Russell of winning

Saying someone is "the Bill Russell of winning" is like saying someone is "the Barack Obama of being the President of the United States"

Flash31
06-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Saying someone is "the Bill Russell of winning" is like saying someone is "the Barack Obama of being the President of the United States"

Bill Russell one of if not the GOAT Winner
GOAT Winner in NBA

Obama one of if not the Worst President of the U.S. in History

Two total polar opposites

Rubio2Gasol
06-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Prime Kevin Mchale.

Would be the best player in the league.

Marchesk
06-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Obama one of if not the Worst President of the U.S. in History

http://cdn.breitbart.com/mediaserver/Breitbart/Big-Government/2013/06/17/bush_toast_laughing_AP.jpg

Flash31
06-10-2014, 07:49 AM
http://cdn.breitbart.com/mediaserver/Breitbart/Big-Government/2013/06/17/bush_toast_laughing_AP.jpg

They're Both Top 5

either or

BoutPractice
06-10-2014, 07:52 AM
I wasn't making a political commentary here, let's not start this discussion :lol
Should've chosen my example better...

JohnMax
06-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Karl Malone just to see his dirty tactics (elbows, kicks to the groin).