PDA

View Full Version : Is Phil Jackson capable of what Pop is doing right now?

Jameerthefear
06-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Title.

20Four
06-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Title.
:facepalm

Jameerthefear
06-11-2014, 03:56 PM
:facepalm
Pop has an argument for GOAT coach. He wasn't blessed with MJ, Shaq, Pippen, or Gasol but he's still had a lot of success.

kennethgriffin
06-11-2014, 03:59 PM
phil isnt so much a coach as he is a mentor, philosopher, peace keeper, motivator that gets the fullest potential out of stars and makes them focus on whats important. a zen mater. can make any ego/personality co exist

pop is more of a hard nosed system guy drill instructor no nonsense no big ego, no tolerance, who can get the best out of everyone else. he has no patience. and leads by example.

phil isnt nearly as good a pure basketball coach as pop is... but he is more accomplished. both have something over the other guy

to make a long story short... anyone could coach this spurs team to the finals in this sh*t era with the most stacked modern day team ever assembled

riseagainst
06-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Pop has an argument for GOAT coach. He wasn't blessed with MJ, Shaq, Pippen, or Gasol but he's still had a lot of success.

:roll:

jameer never fails to deliver.

StephHamann
06-11-2014, 04:04 PM
to make a long story short... anyone could coach this heat team to the finals in this sh*t era with the most stacked modern day team ever assembled [/B]

even this drunk mexican guy can coach this stacked team to 4 straight finals

AnaheimLakers24
06-11-2014, 04:05 PM
13 > 4

whens magic sending us their talent? we need a new big

Milbuck
06-11-2014, 04:06 PM
No, he's not. Pop might be the best coach ever. Not the greatest in terms of accomplishments and accolades, but he might be the best.

kennethgriffin
06-11-2014, 04:07 PM
mike brown could coach the spurs to the finals

infact....... he did in 2003 as an assistant

Rameek
06-11-2014, 04:08 PM
I think Pop is a better coach but Phil would have led the Spurs to more titles.

Legends66NBA7
06-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Off course he is. Titles in 3 different decades don't lie, especially 3 3 peats and a back to back.

Give him the Spurs team he's had over the last 3 years and they are going just as deep.

kennethgriffin
06-11-2014, 04:10 PM
No, he's not. Pop might be the best coach ever. Not the greatest in terms of accomplishments and accolades, but he might be the best.

he is by far the best

phil just lets stars go out there and do whatever they want. his triangle barely got utilized in his laker days.. nore did he even wanna stand up or call timeouts

hes a lazy zen master who just knows how to make players happy

hes a players coach.. pops an evil genius that actually COACHES people.. instead of just being their friend like phil to kobe or mj

ThePhantomCreep
06-11-2014, 04:15 PM
I've been told time and time again that Duncan is the best player of his generation, that Parker is in the argument for best PG in the league, and peak Manu is better than guys like Ray Ray, Tmac and Carter. Based on that, I'd say Pop has actually underachieved over the last decade or so.

Phil > Popovich. Not debatable. His Laker years alone produced more titles.

Real14
06-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Is Orlando Tragic capable of being a relevant franchise?

riseagainst
06-11-2014, 04:19 PM
question for OP, why do you dislike Kobe so much?

kennethgriffin
06-11-2014, 04:23 PM

isnt he a magic fan

lakers stole shaq
lakers stole dwight ( later lost him but still )
kobes greatest dunk was him shoving his you know what balls deep in dwights mouth
and kobe sh*t on them in the finals ( taking away their only chance at a ring ever again )
the magic gave away trevor ariza and he helped LA beat the magic in the finals
kobe is generally hated by allot of people ( mainly jordan/lebron supporters. and hes both )
kobe has 5 rings and is an all time legend. which brings more jealousy
his fans own him daily on ISH
he has a personal vendetta

all of the above is why jameer hates kobe

r0drig0lac
06-11-2014, 04:24 PM
definitely not without superstar

Jameerthefear
06-11-2014, 04:24 PM
? when did i bring up kobe?

kennethgriffin
06-11-2014, 04:27 PM
? when did i bring up kobe?

you get kobe up every night in your dreams. then you wake up and he's gone... leaving you clutching a mangled soiled pillow covered in tears and semen while you shamefully tuck your ***** between your legs and pray the pain away

ThePhantomCreep
06-11-2014, 04:30 PM
definitely not without superstar

Number of titles Pop has without a superstar: 0

Larry Brown and Lenny Wilkins are the only coaches who can claim titles without a franchise player, and their teams had great depth relative to their competition, thus negating that weakness.

Jameerthefear
06-11-2014, 04:32 PM
you get kobe up every night in your dreams. then you wake up and he's gone... leaving you clutching a mangled soiled pillow covered in tears and semen while you shamefully tuck your ***** between your legs and pray the pain away
My p*nis way to big to tuck it between my legs. No idea what ur talking about.

Real14
06-11-2014, 04:35 PM
My p*nis way to big to tuck it between my legs. No idea what ur talking about.
Reported.

kamil
06-11-2014, 07:45 PM

Spoelstra isn't Mexican.

hawksdogsbraves
06-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Absolutely not. I doubt anyone would even argue that he could.

r0drig0lac
06-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Number of titles Pop has without a superstar: 0

Larry Brown and Lenny Wilkins are the only coaches who can claim titles without a franchise player, and their teams had great depth relative to their competition, thus negating that weakness.
Detroit had four guys playing in all star level, and spurs this year if you can win it all, does not have any superstar

ThePhantomCreep
06-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Detroit had four guys playing in all star level, and spurs this year if you can win it all, does not have any superstar

The Spurs have two players who made the All-NBA team. That and their ridiculous depth make them title favorites. Lol @ anyone who thinks Phil couldn't win titles with this group. The real question is why Pop failed over and over with Duncan/Parker/Gino.

Jordan/Pippen/Phil = 6 titles in 8 years
Shaq/Kobe/Phil = 4 Finals, 3 titles in 5 years
Kobe/Gasol/Phil = 3 Finals, 2 titles in 4 years

Duncan/Parker/Gino/Pop = 4 Finals, 3 titles in 11 years

jzek
06-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Hell no. He needs the absolute top player in the league to be able to win.

Eye Test
06-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Pop is better, i mean he could turn orlando from laughing stock to just terrible

Artillery
06-11-2014, 08:46 PM
In the ISO-ball era(90s/00s), Phil is definitely better. But there's a reason why he retired after getting his ass kicked by Carlisle and the 2011 Mavs - that style of bball is archaic and doesn't win shit nowadays. 2012 Thunder are a good example. Got exposed badly in the Finals with their ugly isoball.

ILLsmak
06-11-2014, 09:01 PM

haha for some reason that made me laugh pretty hard.

-Smak

DMV2
06-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Phil seemed to have gotten lazy by 2010. Or stop caring.

Pop, you can still see his intensity. Pop still wants "some NASTY."

ThePhantomCreep
06-11-2014, 09:22 PM
In the ISO-ball era(90s/00s), Phil is definitely better. But there's a reason why he retired after getting his ass kicked by Carlisle and the 2011 Mavs - that style of bball is archaic and doesn't win shit nowadays. 2012 Thunder are a good example. Got exposed badly in the Finals with their ugly isoball.the triangle isn't based on ISO plays. It's pretty much the antithesis of this type of ball.

And lmao @ your logic. If Phil's style is obsolete one year after winning back-to-back titles, what does that make Pop? He hasn't won in 7 years, and routinely got his ass kicked by Phil's Lakers (1-4 record).

Artillery
06-11-2014, 09:59 PM
the triangle isn't based on ISO plays. It's pretty much the antithesis of this type of ball.

And lmao @ your logic. If Phil's style is obsolete one year after winning back-to-back titles, what does that make Pop? He hasn't won in 7 years, and routinely got his ass kicked by Phil's Lakers (1-4 record).

Pre-2011 Pop and Phil are both obsolete. Unlike Phil(who just gave up), Pop changed with the times and completely restructured the Spurs offense four years ago. Adapt or Die. Thunder need to do the same thing. Struggled against a Memphis team playing team ball. Looked incompetent against the Spurs. Were terrible against the Heat in 2012.

The current NBA is hell of a lot more watchable than the iso-ball era(1990-2010). Thankfully, most GMs have seen the light and are actively pushing out dinosaurs like Lionel Hollins and Mark Jackson. McHale should be next to be fired.

AintNoSunshine
06-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Change Pop to Pat and it's actually a good question.

inclinerator
06-11-2014, 11:31 PM
pop is the goat coach

http://i.imgur.com/uQpb2eU.gif

Mgamer20o0
06-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Title.
time will tell. pop does more then just coach he built the team. jackson to this point has only coached but also had to deal with some big name stars which isnt always easy.

Cold soul
06-12-2014, 12:11 AM
pop is the goat coach

http://i.imgur.com/uQpb2eU.gif

I hate to say this but is that the same kid from the mass shooting in Santa Barbara. It looks like the same person to me.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ABC_elliot_rodger_youtube_jt_140524_16x9_992.jpg

VIntageNOvel
06-12-2014, 12:26 AM
different,
if both given an equal team full of scrub, pop win by miles
if both given olympics talent team, zen master win

DonDadda59
06-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Triangle Offense (not really Phil's creation, mind you): 11 rangz

Pop's new fangled 80s lite offense: 0 rangz (so far)

Eat Like A Bosh
06-12-2014, 12:46 AM
I don't know why but I laughed.

He's half Filipino half Mexican right?

MVBallin2K
06-12-2014, 12:52 AM
No because you can't compare the two. Pop doesn't use a 'star' per se for his offense. It's all about the team and that's why his system works the way it does. Plugging Phil in there isn't playing to Phil's strengths because Phil is a manager of egos and marches to the beat of his own drum enough to be able to control a team filled with star players.

On the other hand, I don't think Pop would thrive if he had Phil's talent either. Pop's system is reliant on team basketball and I don't think he has Phil's patience and ability to handle egos or players like that. He wouldn't be able to get through to them for the better of the team.

This is why the Spurs are who they are. Posters like to say they'd like some of the headcases on the Spurs for Pop to mold them but that's not how it works. The Spurs take in the ones who aren't headcases and who don't have egos, thus why they work within Pop's system. On the contrary, Phil had a knack for being able to take those headcases and make them a part of the team, bringing out their best. The real question is, what type of damage would these two do together as co-coaches at their most motivated?

ThePhantomCreep
06-12-2014, 12:54 AM
different,
if both given an equal team full of scrub, pop win by miles
if both given olympics talent team, zen master win

Popovich only coached one team full of scrubs and it ended like this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/1997.html

The one year Duncan missed the playoffs, the Spurs were bounced in the first round. The one year Manu missed the playoffs, the Spurs were bounced in the first round. Michael Jordan retires in 1993, the Bulls make it to the second round.

Jameerthefear
06-12-2014, 01:00 AM
u do realize that that was his first year of coaching right?

nosfan773
06-12-2014, 01:15 AM
Spoelstra isn't Mexican.

I think he's talking about Kenneth

ThePhantomCreep
06-12-2014, 01:18 AM
u do realize that that was his first year of coaching right?

Then I guess we don't how well Popovich would look coaching scrubs, now do we? He's had Tim Duncan virtually his entire career.

hawksdogsbraves
06-12-2014, 01:25 AM
No because you can't compare the two. Pop doesn't use a 'star' per se for his offense. It's all about the team and that's why his system works the way it does. Plugging Phil in there isn't playing to Phil's strengths because Phil is a manager of egos and marches to the beat of his own drum enough to be able to control a team filled with star players.

On the other hand, I don't think Pop would thrive if he had Phil's talent either. Pop's system is reliant on team basketball and I don't think he has Phil's patience and ability to handle egos or players like that. He wouldn't be able to get through to them for the better of the team.

This is why the Spurs are who they are. Posters like to say they'd like some of the headcases on the Spurs for Pop to mold them but that's not how it works. The Spurs take in the ones who aren't headcases and who don't have egos, thus why they work within Pop's system. On the contrary, Phil had a knack for being able to take those headcases and make them a part of the team, bringing out their best. The real question is, what type of damage would these two do together as co-coaches at their most motivated?

You don't think Pop would have 'thrived' with Kobe and prime Shaq? Or Kobe and prime Gasol, (who would have been a perfect Pop player btw). Yeah, they probably would've lost in the first round.

And god forbid he ever had Jordan and Pippen, he probably would'nt even make the playoffs with those guys.

Give me a break, give Pop the same teams Phil coached and he would have MORE championships. He probably would have reigned in Shaq and kept him around longer with Kobe. Probably would've kept Jordan out of trouble too.

VIntageNOvel
06-12-2014, 01:39 AM
Then I guess we don't how well Popovich would look coaching scrubs, now do we? He's had Tim Duncan virtually his entire career.

38 years old duncan, on his last leg
i wouldnt call anyone in the spurs right now all star,
maybe parker, thats it
you could replace duncan with pau gasol or an other high iq center and he would get the same 20/10
patty? diaw? green? splitter?

oarabbus
06-12-2014, 02:29 AM
What a stupid thread. PJax can only dream of doing what Pop is doing. If Pop coached MJ/Pippen and Kobe/Shaq... he would have a sh1tload of rings.