PDA

View Full Version : Silver absolutely needs to disband conferences and divisions.

Connor B
06-12-2014, 06:43 PM
ESPECIALLY if Carmelo goes to Heat, I don't think it will actually happen, but if it does you have literally have 4 of the east's 10 best players on one team, and it will be even more lopsided than it was this year within the conference, and the conference as a whole will suck more in general. Even if Melo stays in the east somewhere, things will still be awful. The other top players of the east are fringe all-stars at best, players like Paul Geroge, Brooke Lopez, Joakim Noah, Kyrie, Rondo, and then God knows what happens with Rose. The east is in a bad place and it may only get worse. Noel, Embiid, Parker, Wiggins and the the 2013-2014 classes only add so much.

Superteams are a lot less annoying and a lot more appealing if they are forced to play every team equally and have a much tougher road in the playoffs than they would if they were in the east (I'm talking about Miami if they get Melo).

The main argument against having a 1-16 system is that it gets rid of east vs. west rivalries. Guess what, that hasn't existed since the 80s, at least not in terms of true television appeal. Lakers vs. Celtics 2008-10 was nice but it was nice for nostalgic reasons. 1-16 system is more exciting overall and all around. Please do this Adam Silver. It will fix so many problems in the NBA.

NumberSix
06-12-2014, 06:53 PM
I agree. There's no need for conferences or divisions.

tanner892
06-12-2014, 06:56 PM
one of the better threads i've seen

NumberSix
06-12-2014, 06:58 PM
You'd also see playoff matchup you never other wise see. You could see something like Miami vs Clippers or Indiana vs OKC. Right now the only possible way to see an Eastern team vs a western team is the finals.

TheReal Kendall
06-12-2014, 07:00 PM
:applause:

Adam Silver
06-12-2014, 07:01 PM
I've already stated that I'm going to consider this.

Legends66NBA7
06-12-2014, 07:14 PM
I guess this thread will happen over and over again till it actually happens ?

:confusedshrug:

Jameerthefear
06-12-2014, 07:15 PM
I guess this thread will happen over and over again till it actually happens ?

:confusedshrug:
yep. so annoying to see people suggest the same thing over and over.

Jon_Koncak
06-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Absolutely.Conferences serve no purpose at all.They made sense when teams were travelling on buses,not now when they got private planes.Sadly I doubt Silver has the guts to be the first commissioner in any americal sports league to abolish this stupid format.

Flash31
06-12-2014, 07:24 PM
So where was all this talk when the
Bulls,Lakers,Celtics were cruising to Finals every year?

Damn,the Heat hate is so strong y'all want to change rules,schedules,Conferences,drafts,trades,get rid of paycuts,Free Agency,the League just to make the Heat lose.

Talk about some salty salty haters.

JT123
06-12-2014, 07:34 PM

Damn,the Heat hate is so strong y'all want to change rules,schedules,Conferences,drafts,trades,get rid of paycuts,Free Agency,the League just to make the Heat lose.

This. :lol Nobody was crying when KG, Pierce, and Allen were sleepwalking their way through the East every year, but now that the Heat are doing it all of a sudden it's a HUGE problem. :rolleyes:

oh the horror
06-12-2014, 07:35 PM

This isn't a real member guys. An automated system replays this response

It also comes with "u mad?"

J Shuttlesworth
06-12-2014, 07:36 PM
I agree with this. It would be fun to watch Melo/Bron/Wade/Bosh destroy the league, but not if they're only playing against eastern conference scrubs all season. Not much would really change in the east though since Knicks are a 37 win team with Melo, so the standings will probably be similar next year unless PJax turns shit around

oh the horror
06-12-2014, 07:36 PM
This. :lol Nobody was crying when KG, Pierce, and Allen were sleepwalking their way through the East every year, but now that the Heat are doing it all of a sudden it's a HUGE problem. :rolleyes:

I'd beg to differ on "sleepwalking". Go look up the series and games they played bro.

J Shuttlesworth
06-12-2014, 07:41 PM
I'd beg to differ on "sleepwalking". Go look up the series and games they played bro.
How is 2008 any harder than what the Heat had this year? The Celtics had to play a 37 win team in the first round :lol

JT123
06-12-2014, 07:41 PM
They got pushed to the brink a few times, but mostly only because they were bored. Name one Eastern team they faced from 2008-2010 that was anywhere near as talented as them? :biggums:

Black and White
06-12-2014, 07:45 PM

Game 7 vs Atlanta = Sleepwalking????

Black and White
06-12-2014, 07:46 PM
They got pushed to the brink a few times, but mostly only because they were bored. Name one Eastern team they faced from 2008-2010 that was anywhere near as talented as them? :biggums:

This is where you lose all credibility

J Shuttlesworth
06-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Game 7 vs Indiana last year = sleepwalking?
Game 7 vs. Celtics 2012 = sleepwalking?

JT123
06-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Heat were taken to 7 games against Boston in 12, and again against Indiana in 13, yet people still claim they have been sleepwalking through the conference. I'm just going by the standard other posters on this forum have already established. :confusedshrug:

Black and White
06-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Heat were taken to 7 games against Boston in 12, and again against Indiana in 13, yet people still claim they have been sleepwalking through the conference. I'm just going by the standard other posters on this forum have already established. :confusedshrug:

Are you really going to suggest that the 2012 Celtics were on the level of any of the Western teams??? That team was old, and basically the only healthy player was Rondo, Indiana was a tough matchup last year, and thats about the only one really.

Black and White
06-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Game 7 vs Indiana last year = sleepwalking?
Game 7 vs. Celtics 2012 = sleepwalking?

Read above post ^^

J Shuttlesworth
06-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Read above post ^^
7 game series isn't a sleepwalk

I suppose you think Pacers without Bosh is a sleepwalk and playing Rose Bulls in 2011 was a sleepwalk too

Black and White
06-12-2014, 08:19 PM
7 game series isn't a sleepwalk

I suppose you think Pacers without Bosh is a sleepwalk and playing Rose Bulls in 2011 was a sleepwalk too

I'm not the one talking about sleepwalking here, it was a Heat fan that said the Celtics sleepwalked through the East, are you saying that one of your fellow fans is wrong?

Marchesk
06-12-2014, 08:20 PM
yep. so annoying to see people suggest the same thing over and over.

Kobe > Lebron

Marchesk
06-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Abolish divisions and conferences, reduce games to 60, and behead floppers.

GODbe
06-12-2014, 08:32 PM
If they didn't do it when Jordan had a hall of famer filled team, they won't do it this time either.

Adam Silver
06-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Abolish divisions and conferences, reduce games to 60, and behead floppers.

I'll consider the 1-16 format, but divisions helps create arbitrary rivals for fans, which increases ticket prices and profits. Same with reducing to 60 games. I'll never do it because of profit.

MavsSuperFan
06-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Agree conferences in the NBA don't make sense

In baseball and in football the conferences/divisions actually do produce rivalries I've never actually felt a rivalry among divisions at least nothing comparable to other sports

NBA has always been a more star driven league