PDA

View Full Version : Could the Spurs attract star free agents?

Haymaker
06-13-2014, 12:58 AM
If/when they win? Love maybe?

Smook A.
06-13-2014, 01:00 AM
If Kevin Love likes big women I don't see why not...

Lol im just messin

davehos
06-13-2014, 01:00 AM
Yes. I don't know why they aren't in the discussion more. They have a ton of cap room. They front loaded that Splitter contract while they knew they'd have Duncan.

If Melo can play in Denver he can play in San Antonio .. amirite? Pop may actually coach him into making an assist or two.

Collie
06-13-2014, 01:02 AM
We never really got to see the Spurs with a lot of cap space. I'm sure lots of big name FAs would love to play for Pop.

Fudge
06-13-2014, 01:05 AM
Kevin Love would do wonders with the Spurz.

RichieW
06-13-2014, 01:08 AM
Marc Gasol to Spurs in 2015. Book it, they wouldn't lose much on the floor going from Duncan to Gasol. Marc is probably the most pperfect fit for the Spurs in the league.

Love? No thanks. Defence wins championships.

Akrazotile
06-13-2014, 01:09 AM
The problem is most "star" free agents get overpaid and I cant see the Spurs giving a max contract to Love or especially Carmelo. Love's ego is too high, Melo's IQ is too low. I think theyd pass on those guys if a max was the onky way to get them.

Magic731
06-13-2014, 01:10 AM
Lebron to the Spurs.

Akrazotile
06-13-2014, 01:14 AM
Lebron to the Spurs.

:lol

GabeIsGone
06-13-2014, 01:15 AM
Kevin Love would be the perfect fit. A spread 4 that could play next to Splitter once Duncan is gone.

Purch
06-13-2014, 01:17 AM
No because most star players don't have the attitude required to be a part of the Spurs culture.

A guy like Kyrie Irving would never be able to sacrifice his ego in the way that Pop needs from every player on the floor. It's a trickle down effect. It's easy for players to buy into an unselfish team first mentality, when you see your stars like Robinson and Timmy doing it on a consistent basis.

Harder if you got stars like Irving, Harden or Dwight, guys who clearly enjoy the spotlight and have an ego

bekalc
06-13-2014, 01:27 AM
I think Lebron could fit into the Spurs philosophy. He's a very unselfish player. I think Lebron doesn't get enough credit for that.

Rameek
06-13-2014, 01:34 AM
Once Duncan retires it will be interesting to see how the team responds. This will be the first time in a long time they wont have an elite big.

I dont think FA's are clamoring to go to Texas for Basketball unfortunately. If winning is the stars top priority then I cant see why they wouldnt want to be there though.

veilside23
06-13-2014, 01:38 AM
i worry more once pop retires... who would take over?

EricGordon23
06-13-2014, 01:57 AM
Greg monroe isn't a star But I see the spurs making a run for him this year

Milbuck
06-13-2014, 01:59 AM
Once Duncan retires it will be interesting to see how the team responds. This will be the first time in a long time they wont have an elite big.
Replace Tim Duncan with Omer Asik, and throw in another good player like Afflalo, and they're contenders next season (if Pop's there). Timmy is the on-court leader of that team, but his actual game has been anything but irreplaceable this season.

Eye Test
06-13-2014, 02:01 AM
not too much need imo, they pretty much just took a huge dump on the whole league

HOoopCityJones
06-13-2014, 02:01 AM
They don't need it.

Bring in a decent role playing Big once Timmy retires and build around Kawaii and Parker.

no pun intended
06-13-2014, 02:02 AM
Pau Gasol. I guarantee it. Bookmark this.

Akrazotile
06-13-2014, 02:06 AM
Replace Tim Duncan with Omer Asik, and throw in another good player like Afflalo, and they're contenders next season (if Pop's there). Timmy is the on-court leader of that team, but his actual game has been anything but irreplaceable this season.

No.

People are underestimating the chemistry involved, Duncans ability to catch quick touch passes and flick them in, his lately reliable FT shooting, his passing from the post.

He is the opposite of empty stats. His stats tell less than what hes actually doing and while hes clearly not a dominant 'force' on this team, the consistency with which he does hs unique role is not something youre going to get from Omer Asik. Please.

Milbuck
06-13-2014, 02:07 AM
No.

People are underestimating the chemistry involved, Duncans ability to catch quick touch passes and flick them in, his lately reliable FT shooting, his passing from the post.

He is the opposite of empty stats. His stats tell less than what hes actually doing and while hes clearly not a dominant 'force' on this team, the consistency with which he does hs unique role is not something youre going to get from Omer Asik. Please.
Not Asik by himself. That's why I threw in Afflalo as well. Asik + Afflalo in place of TD next season would still have them contending imo, if you kept the rest of the team the same, Pop included.

Collie
06-13-2014, 02:08 AM
No.

This. Current Duncan is like Bill Walton. He does everything for the Spurs: rebounding, defending, post scoring, passing. But a lot of things don't show up on the stat sheet. He can't be replaced easily, not even by the "best center in the league" Dwight Howard.

Akrazotile
06-13-2014, 02:09 AM
Pau Gasol. I guarantee it. Bookmark this.

I would love to see Gasol on these Spurs but they just signed Splitter to a long deal, if Duncan and Diaw are both back I dont know if they even have room for Pau. Unless these guys wanna really divide up the minutes. Which might be ok with Ol Man Riverwalk but Boris and Splitter are still young and prob wanna keep playin solid minutes.

TrueRob
06-13-2014, 02:10 AM
Marc Gasol to Spurs in 2015. Book it, they wouldn't lose much on the floor going from Duncan to Gasol. Marc is probably the most pperfect fit for the Spurs in the league.

Love? No thanks. Defence wins championships.

Yeah, I agree Marc Gasol would be a good fit, good passer which the Spurs love and plays good defense.

All Net
06-13-2014, 02:11 AM
Do they have any room this summer?

davehos
06-13-2014, 02:23 AM
I dont think FA's are clamoring to go to Texas for Basketball unfortunately. If winning is the stars top priority then I cant see why they wouldnt want to be there though.

No state income tax is about 10% more money in their pocket. That is a big deal. It's one reason why folks go to Florida as well.

jhuan16
06-13-2014, 02:32 AM
I think Lebron could fit into the Spurs philosophy. He's a very unselfish player. I think Lebron doesn't get enough credit for that.
NBA will never allows that, because would be cheating to have LeBron under Pop's system.

OG LeeTSkeeT
06-13-2014, 05:19 AM
Derrick Favors to be mentored under Duncan before he retires would be nice.

Cactus-Sack
06-13-2014, 05:23 AM
Kevin Love would be the perfect fit. A spread 4 that could play next to Splitter once Duncan is gone.

Can't play D, has a huge ego, not a team player. Terrible fit.

Perfect
06-13-2014, 05:30 AM

What do you all reckon:

Are Kawhi and Parker good enough to be the best two players on a contending team? What about if Pop goes/stays?

I'd be keen to see them go out and get Ibaka somehow, Pop is strong on him.

SacJB Shady
06-13-2014, 06:22 AM
Only a certain type of star would fit the Spurs, has to be a team player that passes. One would be Joakim Noah. The Spurs would not be better with Carmelo, they are better because they don't have a Carmelo.