PDA

View Full Version : Will we see teams trying to play more like the Spurs next season?

Akrazotile
06-13-2014, 01:43 AM
I know the Spurs have won it before but I dont remember any finals team ever putting on a technical execution clinic like the one this year. I think everyone in the basketball community right now is just going :eek:

Sports leagues are notorious copycating, do you think, as an older thread eluded to, the spurs are putting a fresh nail in the coffin of 'hero ball'?

unbreakable
06-13-2014, 01:45 AM
no. the league is full of divas and soft pre-madonnas.. everyone is on that MTV/drake bullsh*t....

theres only one Pop and hes in San Antonio.

Collie
06-13-2014, 01:45 AM
They can try, but they won't pull it off.

AnaheimLakers24
06-13-2014, 01:46 AM
kobe will prove stars can still run this league

SCdac
06-13-2014, 01:53 AM
The Spurs have actually always been very succinct and methodical in their passing and sharing the ball. Always. It's just more possessions now. It's faster. More shots. More high pick and rolls/pops. Not going into the post every play and running the offense through Duncan as much. Teams shouldn't necessarily be replicating the Spurs in style, they should be doing it in the Front Office. Ie. trading George Hill for Kawhi Leonard, plucking Emanuel "Manu" Ginobiii out of nowhere, signing an established talent in Diaw, etc. Spurs front office has been amazing, with some kinks along the way of course. Would love to see Budenholzer and Ferry spread the Spurs mantra to the Atlanta Hawks.

Eye Test
06-13-2014, 01:54 AM
every team must search their own identity imo. anyone can be beaten

J Shuttlesworth
06-13-2014, 01:58 AM
You need to build a team with great passers and great shooters to be able to play like that. On top of that, they have Duncan in the paint, and a one of a kind player, Kawhi Leonard with his giant hands for blocks/rebounds/defense.

MVBallin2K
06-13-2014, 01:58 AM
One of the commentators during the game talked about it. I forgot what they said exactly but I know they mentioned that while you can try and duplicate it, you just won't have the same success.

Like others have said, you'd have to put together the same style of players the Spurs have and who's going to win with that style over the team that's already a master of it? Something like that was built over time so teams might try as they might but it won't last long because it won't work.

Leroy Jetson
06-13-2014, 04:03 AM
Spurs actually started playing this way in 2012 when they were sweeping the playoffs until OKC got red hot and took them out. Last year they came as close as you can come and not win a title. However Pop fine tuned the engine replacing Gary Neal with a much better Patty Mills, obviously Leonard's improvement has been vital and overall the bench pieces fit perfectly. This may be a shock to casual fans but to us Spurs fans I think we saw this coming and it is a thing of beauty. I don't know that another team could re-create the magic just because the Spurs organization is just so careful about who they bring into the system and finding three hall of famers to happily get chewed out and sit on the bench when needed isn't so easy.

BlazerRed
06-13-2014, 04:08 AM
You can't play like the Spurs without Pop :no:

Rose'sACL
06-13-2014, 04:10 AM
Unlike most fans, most players realize that they need to play selfishly to get more money. Spurs mostly draft/trade for players who don't think like this plus pop probably does a great job by making them buy into this team ball.
Most players who have come from poor homes realize that getting paid well is better than winning a ring with okay stats.

Myth
06-13-2014, 04:17 AM
Hopefully the Blazers. They started the first half of the season with some great off ball movement. Hopefully Stotts points out what the Spurs did and takes them to the next step. 1-2 more passes and keep that movement going and the Blazers could improve much more and become a legit threat.

Leroy Jetson
06-13-2014, 04:18 AM
Unlike most fans, most players realize that they need to play selfishly to get more money. Spurs mostly draft/trade for players who don't think like this plus pop probably does a great job by making them buy into this team ball.
Most players who have come from poor homes realize that getting paid well is better than winning a ring with okay stats.
A smart player could take 10 million in earnings and turn it into 50 million where a dumb player could make 50 million and be broke in five years. Happens all the time.

russwest0
06-13-2014, 04:24 AM
the warriors will as kerr already acts like he wants to be pop jr.

Akrazotile
06-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Hopefully the Blazers. They started the first half of the season with some great off ball movement. Hopefully Stotts points out what the Spurs did and takes them to the next step. 1-2 more passes and keep that movement going and the Blazers could improve much more and become a legit threat.

Yeah the Blazers do look like theyre built similarly to the Spurs and hopefully will continue to make strides. I just think real team basketball is so much more fun to watch than iso chuckfests, but the majority of fans don't seem to see it that way. In fact, nor does the majority of NBA management.

Milbuck
06-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Portland is 1 Luol Deng or Arron Afflalo off the bench away from being a championship contender. Lillard, Batum, Lopez, should all improve too.