PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Popovich is a disgrace

Solid Snake
06-14-2014, 02:49 AM
Gregg Popovich is a disgusting human being (I hope his team wins though).

Everyone in the media props this guy up, that his reactions are so "whimsical," genuine, quirky, and just "Pop being Pop" during interviews. Think about this. Imagine someone like this in ANY OTHER SETTING. If some dude you worked with in the office acted this way, you would see him as a social anomaly, someone who clearly doesn't understand the dynamics of human interaction or just plain doesn't give a ****; either way, he wouldn't be very likeable. He would be "that guy" that you and your co-workers refer to as, "yeah, dat dude crazy as hell doe."

Yet, in the NBA, when he acts like a piece of shit during interviews, the commentators just love his precociousness and giggle in delight like a bunch of sycophants, when in fact, he's probably one of the most hateful acting, vitriolic people you could meet. I don't care what his team thinks of him, how he's a great leader, as he has their best interests at heart - I don't debate ANY of that. He's proven he's an amazing leader, coach, and better than Phil Jackson. I'm simply stating, at face value, that his demeanor towards INTERVIEWERS are disgraceful, as he treats them as subhuman, and seems to get a kick out of it. People who are simply trying to do their jobs during press conferences. Even on the lower end of the scale of acting hateful, he'll purposely give quick 2 or 3 word answer to the interviewer, when CLEARLY we're expecting a little more insight on the question asked.

When watching a nationally televised game and he has a courtside interview, his full-scale hatefulness doesn't come out (that's only for press conferences, etc), but generally the distribution of answers are something like this: 40% normal, actual answers that people normally give, 60% WEIRD ASS, purposely blunt, short, flippant answers (Byron Scott does this too, and I can't stand it). Again, I suppose this is better than the full scale HATEFUL answers he routinely gives during press conferences, but it's not cool. Not cool at all.

My point? None. This is the internet. This is a message board. These are my pointless thoughts. Good day.

P.S. The length of a post is not a function of "how much time" one has, but rather, their ability to express their ideas clearly, using various words from the English language, and providing examples. (i.e. my preemptive response to people who will inevitably say "you got too much time on your hands." Also, why is "you got too much time on your hands" used as such a negative connotation in today's message board world (2000-present). Isn't that a good thing? Don't we all wanna be so "well off" that we have "TOO MUCH" time on our hands, as opposed to to not enough, or just enough? I sure as phuck would love to have "TOO MUCH TIME."

JUDGE WITNESS
06-14-2014, 02:50 AM
tl;dr :biggums:

moe94
06-14-2014, 02:52 AM
People are going to roast you and shit, but understand that I agree with everything you said. Wonderful post.

kureyşi-gospurs
06-14-2014, 02:54 AM

Everyone in the media props this guy up, that his reactions are so "whimsical," genuine, quirky, and just "Pop being Pop" during interviews. Think about this. Imagine someone like this in ANY OTHER SETTING. If some dude you worked with in the office acted this way, you would see him as a social anomaly, someone who clearly doesn't understand the dynamics of human interaction or just plain doesn't give a ****; either way, he wouldn't be very likeable. He would be "that guy" that you and your co-workers refer to as, "yeah, dat dude crazy as hell doe."

Yet, in the NBA, when he acts like a piece of shit during interviews, the commentators just love his precociousness and giggle in delight like a bunch of sycophants, when in fact, he's probably one of the most hateful acting, vitriolic people you could meet. I don't care what his team thinks of him, how he's a great leader, as he has their best interests at heart - I don't debate ANY of that. He's proven he's an amazing leader, coach, and better than Phil Jackson. I'm simply stating, at face value, that his demeanor towards INTERVIEWERS are disgraceful, as he treats them as subhuman, and seems to get a kick out of it. People who are simply trying to do their jobs during press conferences. Even on the lower end of the scale of acting hateful, he'll purposely give quick 2 or 3 word answer to the interviewer, when CLEARLY we're expecting a little more insight on the question asked.

When watching a nationally televised game and he has a courtside interview, his full-scale hatefulness doesn't come out (that's only for press conferences, etc), but generally the distribution of answers are something like this: 40% normal, actual answers that people normally give, 60% WEIRD ASS, purposely blunt, short, flippant answers (Byron Scott does this too, and I can't stand it). Again, I suppose this is better than the full scale HATEFUL answers he routinely gives during press conferences, but it's not cool. Not cool at all.

My point? None. This is the internet. This is a message board. These are my pointless thoughts. Good day.

P.S. The length of a post is not a function of "how much time" one has, but rather, their ability to express their ideas clearly, using various words from the English language, and providing examples. (i.e. my preemptive response to people who will inevitably say "you got too much time on your hands." Also, why is "you got too much time on your hands" used as such a negative connotation in today's message board world (2000-present). Isn't that a good thing? Don't we all wanna be so "well off" that we have "TOO MUCH" time on our hands, as opposed to to not enough, or just enough? I sure as phuck would love to have "TOO MUCH TIME."

Get a life bro

The Macho Man
06-14-2014, 02:56 AM
People are going to roast you and shit, but understand that I agree with everything you said. Wonderful post.

shut up moe!

knicksman
06-14-2014, 03:05 AM
maybe because popovich is just so alpha

06-14-2014, 03:17 AM
That's why this athlete worshipping culture is a disgrace in the US & in the world.

That sycophantic attitude is a 100x folds worse with Jordan (see his hall of fame speech in 2009). As long as those dumb azzes continue buying his overpriced mass produced low quality retro shoes, his ego will stay overinflated to astronomically narcissistic proportions.

Milbuck
06-14-2014, 03:18 AM
The logic behind almost all of your points is extremely weak, and can be broken down into two parts.

- You mention how if you took his "whimsical" phrases, actions, and mannerisms, and put them in any other context, he'd come off as extremely arrogant and a prick. Unfortunately for you, Gregg Popovich isn't some schmuck that works in your office. He's a 4 time, soon to be 5 time, NBA champion as a coach and one of the most brilliant minds the sport has ever seen. He's earned the right to not give a shit about what pesky little interviewers think. It's all a blatant waste of time that is FORCED upon him. You can call him an ass, arrogant, whatever you want, but he's accomplished more than just about any average human being, and he deserves the right to not care about being the perfect interviewee.

- Your argument also assumes that what he says is genuinely hurtful. Anyone with a functioning social conscience can see that everything he does, all his antics, are in jest. Trust me, the guy is smart enough to know how to hurt people - if he wanted to, everyone would feel the way you do. But he isn't that guy. He isn't out there to hurt people, belittle people, or prop himself up like some narcissist. Why is it that most if not everyone who knows Pop well (his players, former assistants, friends, other players, etc.) have sworn by his character, and how good of a person he is? Your inability to see the "in jest" part of his media personality isn't the official judgement on him as a person.

Also, it doesn't help that a giant chunk of the questions he's asked by interviewers are borderline retarded.

Mrofir
06-14-2014, 03:25 AM
Also, it doesn't help that a giant chunk of the questions he's asked by interviewers are borderline retarded.

heh.

Heavincent
06-14-2014, 03:26 AM
He's just showing how pointless most of this shit is. If all players and coaches stopped doing interviews, we wouldn't really have less information than we do now. I don't know why the OP wants Pop to give politically correct cliche answers.

Most of the questions answer themselves. Shit like "Can you talk about Kawhi Leonard's defense?" uh, yeah...it's really good. What do you want him to say? Or "What adjustments do you need to make?" You think he's gonna tell you? :oldlol:

Eye Test
06-14-2014, 03:30 AM
from a fan standpoint he is kind of fun/amusing, unless of course, he is blowing your fav team/player out of the water every 2 days :roll:

Graviton
06-14-2014, 03:40 AM
Pop is the best thing to happen to NBA interviews. It's hilarious watching reporters asking retarded questions while he keeps showing just how stupid they are by answering truthfully.

Warfan
06-14-2014, 03:47 AM

tldr

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/greg-popovich-thumbs-up.gif

Graviton
06-14-2014, 03:50 AM
http://ed_wp-content_v2.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/pop-dancing-parade.gif

$LakerGold
06-14-2014, 03:54 AM
He has the credibility to back it up, which is acceptable in the community.

Jocks in highschool are usually douchebags, but people still roll with it because he's 'cool' & 'popular'. Not saying that Pop is a douchebag, but you get my point. lol

ThePhantomCreep
06-14-2014, 04:09 AM
Pop is the best thing to happen to NBA interviews. It's hilarious watching reporters asking retarded questions while he keeps showing just how stupid they are by answering truthfully.

True. Still, he can be a prick sometimes. I doubt he'd be cool with the shoe being on the other foot, and a reporter was taking the piss out of him.

Reporters ask softball questions because that's all they can get away with-celebrities/athletes are notorious of "no commenting" on the hard-hitting stuff. So the reporters throw underhanded softball questions they'd rather not ask, and the athletes respond with sports cliches as old as dust. It's a vicious cycle of dull interviews you couldn't pay me to sit through.

played0ut
06-14-2014, 04:13 AM
You should Google him some more. Apparently he's a sweetheart to them when not being interviewed.

He hates it because the mandatory interviews forcefully shift his mind out of his 'coaching' gear.

Anyway he's nice to Barkley at least. Respect for a high level, straight shooting ex player, I imagine.

NZStreetBaller
06-14-2014, 04:14 AM
what does pops manner and attitude to reporters have to do with anything when he has loyalty to his team hard work and gets the most of out his guys. hes basically the opposite of lebron.

Adam Silver
06-14-2014, 04:26 AM
Gregg always found loopholes in Stern's mandatory interviews. Gregg did it to spite Stern. Now I believe it is just habit.

davehos
06-14-2014, 04:35 AM
It's OK OP. Pop doesn't like you either.

Asukal
06-14-2014, 05:04 AM
Pop is the most likable coach in the league, he knows his shit. You ask a stupid question and you get a stupid answer simple as that. :bowdown:

ILLsmak
06-14-2014, 05:17 AM
he has his moments where he's really an ass, but he's mostly joking.

It's more of his rebellion against the interview system than anything against people.

-Smak

tobethdope
06-14-2014, 05:45 AM
u got it wrong, he is not hateful; he is ignorant towards stupid questions and just gives stupid answers, he is guided by common sense which interviewers and the media in general are usually not

BrownEye007
06-14-2014, 05:48 AM
Was op one of the reporters asking pop stupid questions?

Blue&Orange
06-14-2014, 06:22 AM
when CLEARLY we're expecting a little more insight on the question asked.

I'm pretty sure it's just you expecting more insight from those dumb questions.

elementally morale
06-14-2014, 06:47 AM
I like the guy, becasue he is being different and most of the time amusing. European taste, I guess.

EwingMan
06-14-2014, 06:52 AM

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/assets/4207181/billbored.gif

the length of your post is a function of your inane and insipid and rambling comments. he's rude in interviews -therefore hateful and subhuman- and you don't like it.

Harison
06-14-2014, 07:23 AM
The logic behind almost all of your points is extremely weak, and can be broken down into two parts.

- You mention how if you took his "whimsical" phrases, actions, and mannerisms, and put them in any other context, he'd come off as extremely arrogant and a prick. Unfortunately for you, Gregg Popovich isn't some schmuck that works in your office. He's a 4 time, soon to be 5 time, NBA champion as a coach and one of the most brilliant minds the sport has ever seen. He's earned the right to not give a shit about what pesky little interviewers think. It's all a blatant waste of time that is FORCED upon him. You can call him an ass, arrogant, whatever you want, but he's accomplished more than just about any average human being, and he deserves the right to not care about being the perfect interviewee.

- Your argument also assumes that what he says is genuinely hurtful. Anyone with a functioning social conscience can see that everything he does, all his antics, are in jest. Trust me, the guy is smart enough to know how to hurt people - if he wanted to, everyone would feel the way you do. But he isn't that guy. He isn't out there to hurt people, belittle people, or prop himself up like some narcissist. Why is it that most if not everyone who knows Pop well (his players, former assistants, friends, other players, etc.) have sworn by his character, and how good of a person he is? Your inability to see the "in jest" part of his media personality isn't the official judgement on him as a person.

:applause:

dr.hee
06-14-2014, 08:06 AM

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1105878/popv.gif

Prometheus
06-14-2014, 09:10 AM
I completely disagree with OP; Pop is just a straight shooter and a smartass. As others have pointed out, reporters ask dumb questions and he gives them dumb answers. It's that simple.

Anyone can register an ISH account, and I'm convinced that OP is a basketball journalist who has been the butt-end of a few Pop jokes.

3peated
06-14-2014, 09:12 AM
You're upset he doesn't bend to the social norm? Don't be so closed minded, he isn't rude to people, he just doesn't act overly friendly, and why should he? I completely agree with his demeanor, as I try my hardest to not be overly friendly with people I don't' consider friends.

Jameerthefear
06-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Who cares about all that bullshit you just typed? Didn't even read it.

STATUTORY
06-14-2014, 09:25 AM
when u are good at what you do you get away with shit that peons dont

the best salesperson drives company lambo, the worst drives a pontiac. that's how real life works too bud

AT9
06-14-2014, 09:27 AM
OP: have you not seen Pops interview with Craig Sager's son? He's a bigger ass to Sager than anyone else, yet he genuinely cares for him. 99% of his "horrible" behavior is in jest and/or in rebellion against the stupid interviews.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who would buy your kids Christmas gifts or help old ladies across the street when cameras aren't rolling. Take a lesson in sarcastic humor.

russwest0
06-14-2014, 09:33 AM
OP is Rambo

STATUTORY
06-14-2014, 09:35 AM
OP is Rambo
why these betas always name themselves after alpha males like rambo or solid snake?

funnystuff
06-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Dude does look like he hasn't seen a dentist in 10+ years. I don't understand how someone with so much money can't even keep their teeth from looking piss yellow. Hard to look at.

r0drig0lac
06-14-2014, 09:49 AM
goat gonna goat

nightprowler10
06-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Milbuck is on point.

Bandito
06-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Dude does look like he hasn't seen a dentist in 10+ years. I don't understand how someone with so much money can't even keep their teeth from looking piss yellow. Hard to look at.
He probably smokes a lot.

GimmeThat
06-14-2014, 10:24 AM
right, I wouldn't want to look at a portrait or even a picture of him either.

Euroleague
06-14-2014, 11:20 AM
So in summary..........

Chief Complaint:

He's an ASSHOLE.

Budadiiii
06-14-2014, 11:52 AM
You truly don't get it. :facepalm

He lives by a standard and everyone around him must live up. That's why he's the best leader in sports, he gets the absolute best out of the interviewers and makes sure they are on their game. If they're not, you get classic Pop and the interviewer goes into self improvement mode and is better off for it.

I've know enough about the guy to know he has a good heart. Lol @ him being a disgrace for getting the best out of people, you damn loser.

Lebronxrings
06-14-2014, 11:54 AM
disgrace? Hes the second best coach of all time. No way the spurs ever win rings without him. Duncan wouldn't be top 10 today without pop, he owes everything to that genius.

Euroleague
06-14-2014, 12:06 PM
You truly don't get it. :facepalm

He lives by a standard and everyone around him must live up. That's why he's the best leader in sports, he gets the absolute best out of the interviewers and makes sure they are on their game. If they're not, you get classic Pop and the interviewer goes into self improvement mode and is better off for it.

I've know enough about the guy to know he has a good heart. Lol @ him being a disgrace for getting the best out of people, you damn loser.

If I was asking a question, just doing my job, and he showed me up like that, I would tell his ugly ass he should have done a better job popping the zits on his face when he was a teenager, then tell him, "no more questions Coach Popazit".

I would not take that bullshit from him for one second. He's a smug dickhead. Just like Van Gundy.

played0ut
06-14-2014, 12:10 PM
If I was asking a question, just doing my job, and he showed me up like that, I would tell his ugly ass he should have done a better job popping the zits on his face when he was a teenager, then tell him, "no more questions Coach Popazit".

I would not take that bullshit from him for one second. He's a smug dickhead. Just like Van Gundy.

you wouldn't last very long as a reporter.

Kawhi Not?
06-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Pops is the best. Fckin hater

Maestro33
06-14-2014, 01:19 PM
I agree with your post to an extent as I think Pop needs to be a tad more professional as more than anything he gag has worn off. That's one side of me thinking, the other side remembers every canned, pre-formed response from every NBA player in the Stern/Silver era being trained to say the same garbage night after night.

My feeling is Pop is holding people accountable for either their laziness in asking questions or their lack of in depth knowledge of the game. If that's his intent, to send them back to the drawing board or create better, more thought out questions via research then I'm totally fine with it. I'd take the awkwardness over any " Our backs are against the wall, we gave 110%, make them take tough shots, team effort, force turnovers, limit turnovers, ****in' apple turnovers," or any of that shit.

buddha
06-14-2014, 01:40 PM
was this supposed to be a funny troll?

cause I didn't laugh once. not even at you when I was finished, I just felt bad for you. that's a weak kind of troll.

Macho Grande
06-14-2014, 01:58 PM

I would not take that bullshit from him for one second.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/Clark211/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps9dde0bcd.gif

ballup
06-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Pop has been coaching for so long. Those questions have become mundane and he sees them as pointless just like any hardcore NBA follower. We all know they are for casuals and for articles.

gigantes
07-10-2014, 05:54 PM
OP that was a well-written piece, but...

i guess i could see your point if interviews on the floor meant very much. but as we should all know by now, they mean very little. their two main purposes as i see it are to provide some light filler and to gauge the subject's mood... not to extract verbal information.

then again, if the interviewer has the drive to get more meaningful answers, they are always free to formulate their questions in such a way as to put pop on the spot or even to make him look silly. assuming they have the skill and the permission to do so, of course... but that's sort of the point. it's all part of the game of reporting and interviews.

but yea, most people are like children in the hands of a skillful interviewer. let's not forget that power they have and not let's not get too upset when someone beats the experts at their own game, okay?

i'm sure pop has a lot of interesting things to say, but that's what i'd want to see in a sit-down interview... not so much a floor interview.

gigantes
07-10-2014, 05:55 PM
http://img.izismile.com/img/img7/20140710/1000/daily_gifdump_658_03.gif

GOBB
07-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Post game press conference

reporter "So you haven't yelled at Tony Parker for 2 quarters. Any reason for that?"

Pop "He took out the trash and washed the dishes. :rolleyes: "

Solid Snake "Disgraceful, are you serious? Can't answer a valid question. Wow."

Goldrush25
07-10-2014, 06:08 PM
OP could've just sufficed it to say Pop is a jerk. He's doing it because it's his shtick now and some have found humor in it. He took it too far with Doris Burke though. If he wasn't winning no one would put up with his crap.

GOBB
07-10-2014, 06:13 PM
http://img.izismile.com/img/img7/20140710/1000/daily_gifdump_658_03.gif

:roll: I love pop

Purch
07-10-2014, 06:16 PM
OP could've just sufficed it to say Pop is a jerk. He's doing it because it's his shtick now and some have found humor in it. He took it too far with Doris Burke though. If he wasn't winning no one would put up with his crap.
Half of it is shtick / half of it is clearly genuine.

The sideline reports for TNT are clearly shtick...

The post game interviews when people ask him stupid questions are clearly genuine frustration

Kungfro
07-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Craig Sager JR interviews Gregg Popovich (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xMvztr-Wo)

What a terrible human being.

I feel like that's the first time I've seen someone standing up for Doris Burke. :oldlol:

GOBB
07-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Craig Sager JR interviews Gregg Popovich (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xMvztr-Wo)

What a terrible human being.

I feel like that's the first time I've seen someone standing up for Doris Burke. :oldlol:

:roll: Word

KNOW1EDGE
07-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Pop doesn't have many haters so OP has to work over-time.

gigantes
07-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Pop doesn't have many haters so OP has to work over-time.
maybe it's for his writing professor :confusedshrug:

Sharmer
07-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Pop is a rude jerk but he is allowed to be because he's a winner , amazing double standard