PDA

View Full Version : Is it Spurs offense or the Heat's bad defense?

Micku
06-14-2014, 12:42 PM
One of things that is amazing in this series is that the Spurs are shooting 54.2% FG and 46.7% from 3. So far, it's the best they ever shot from the field in the playoffs. Last round against the Thunder, the Spurs shot 46.2% from the field.

The Heat are shooting well from the field too, but they can't seem to slow down the Spurs. But could they even do it? Are the Heat playing that bad on defense or did the Spurs collectively got into a hot streak just on time and no defense could stop them?

robert de niro
06-14-2014, 12:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/c7NJRa2.gif

JohnMax
06-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Thunder stats are inflated due to Ibaka missing game 1 and 2 with cramps

J Shuttlesworth
06-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Combination of both. Spurs shooting higher percentage since the Heat don't have a rim protector like Ibaka. I feel like the Heat are letting the Spurs streaks deflate them mentally, which they can't do.

played0ut
06-14-2014, 01:00 PM
The Spurs are playing their heart out. You can easily see it. That's the difference.

Kawhi Not?
06-14-2014, 01:06 PM
San Antonio beats you with well executed plays. While Miami needs a huge game from Lebron to even have a chance. Even on bad shooting nights San Antonio will always be in the game because of their system.

Plus they got future GOAT Kawhi

rmt
06-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Spurs precision, ball-movement, player movement offense is a perfect foil for Heat's defensive philosophy - swarming, doubling the ball handler, deflection type defense. Putting excellent-passing ball-handlers on the court (in particular, Diaw) is the solution (release valve) to doubling Parker/Manu. Once Diaw has the ball, it's 4 on 3 - he either drives or passes to the open man.

sd3035
06-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Bran is the worst defender in the league, hands down

PickernRoller
06-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Heats bad defense and Heat weak offense (including Lebron). The Spurs simply figured out how to play Lebron and minimize the PnR damage. Plus they are destroying the Heat in the paint.

Spurs always play like an efficient oiled machine until they played Kobe and the Lakers.

Macho Grande
06-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Heats bad defense and Heat weak offense (including Lebron). The Spurs simply figured out how to play Lebron and minimize the PnR damage. Plus they are destroying the Heat in the paint.

Spurs always play like an efficient oiled machine until they played Kobe and the Lakers.

I seem to remember the Spurs sending Kobe and the Lakers fishing for the summer at least a few times. Including a series in 2003(?) that ended with Kobe trying to (unsuccessfully) fight back tears.

Dresta
06-14-2014, 03:34 PM
Spurs precision, ball-movent, player movement offense is a perfect foil for Heat's defensive philosophy - swarming, doubling the ball handler, deflection type defense. Putting excellent-passing ball-handlers on the court (in particular, Diaw) is the solution (release valve) to doubling Parker/Manu. Once Diaw has the ball, it's 3 on 2 - he either drives or passes to the open man.
This, and Miami are a year older and slower and more worn down to make up for this with energy and athleticism.

Purch
06-14-2014, 03:35 PM
This why sports reporters are retarded, because they ask questions like this.

The only answer is always that it's a bit of both

NumberSix
06-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Bunch of scrubs having the games of their lives all at the same time.

STATUTORY
06-14-2014, 03:38 PM
I seem to remember the Spurs sending Kobe and the Lakers fishing for the summer at least a few times. Including a series in 2003(?) that ended with Kobe trying to (unsuccessfully) fight back tears.
wow, 1 series out of a decade?

:rolleyes:

bigkingsfan
06-14-2014, 03:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/c7NJRa2.gif
Might be the worst gif I've ever seen.

Macho Grande
06-14-2014, 03:48 PM
wow, 1 series out of a decade?

:rolleyes:

1) Go look up how many a "few" is.

2) Reread my original post again. Slowly.

riseagainst
06-14-2014, 04:45 PM

so what are the Lakers vs Spurs playoff series wins and losses?

Macho Grande
06-14-2014, 06:12 PM
so what are the Lakers vs Spurs playoff series wins and losses?

What the hell does that have to do with anything? You've got the internet obviously. USE IT. It's completely beside the point anyway. Dude was trying to act like Kobe was the Spurs' kryptonite or something, which is far from the truth. Hell, didn't the Spurs sweep Kobe and his Lakers out of the playoffs only a year ago? Pretty sure they've swept Kobe out of the playoffs more than once if memory serves. Yeah, that Kobe. He's a real Spurs killa. :rolleyes:

SCdac
06-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Could basically do this to every series, ever, when a team is lighting up their opponent. The reality is it's a combination of both. Great offense exposes/weakens defense, and bad defense allows offense to flourish.

knicksman
06-14-2014, 06:46 PM
bran. This clown can only score on easy points but when the defense is tight, hes nowhere to be found. And this is why scoring>>>>everything else. Thats how kobe and jordan combined for 11 rings because they can force the issue.

NZStreetBaller
06-14-2014, 06:52 PM
bran. This clown can only score only on easy points but when the defense is tight, hes nowhere to be found. And this is why scoring>>>>everything else. Thats how kobe and jordan combined for 11 rings because they can force the issue.

has there ever been a more accurate post??:bowdown:

NASH = BEST
06-14-2014, 07:14 PM
It is both, but there was signs in the ECF that the Heat weren't as good defensively as we all thought they were. Shit doesn't show up in the game stats, but the Pacers were just so bad offensively and didn't have a player that could make the Heat pay for bad defence.

All props to the Spurs though for being good enough to exploit the Heat for the frauds that they are.

Xoush
06-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Both.

jzek
06-14-2014, 07:42 PM
It's Wade's corpse.

TheGreatDeraj
06-14-2014, 07:54 PM
What the hell does that have to do with anything? You've got the internet obviously. USE IT. It's completely beside the point anyway. Dude was trying to act like Kobe was the Spurs' kryptonite or something, which is far from the truth. Hell, didn't the Spurs sweep Kobe and his Lakers out of the playoffs only a year ago? Pretty sure they've swept Kobe out of the playoffs more than once if memory serves. Yeah, that Kobe. He's a real Spurs killa. :rolleyes:

Kobe didn't even play last year. Last time Kobe played the Spurs in playoffs he destroyed them in 2008 the year after Spurs won the title, payback for 03 perhaps

Kobe does always play well against the Spurs, one of the reasons is that the Spurs defense has always tried to take away paint shots and chase people off the 3 point line forcing people into the more difficult midrange region. However if you do that to Kobe, that is playing right into Kobe's hands because Kobe is at his best in the midrange. Therefore, Popovich's defensive gameplan has always been less effective against Kobe.

Kobe's mindset helps him against the Spurs too

Lebron always tries to make the "right" basketball play and pop is able to create a system around that and try to minimize his impact

It worked last year except for a miracle three from Allen and it's working this year so far

Kobe says f*ck you I will attack and score on you no matter what your gameplan is

Edit: to answer the OP, it is the Heat's defense. Heat played pressure D in game 1 and caused like 25 turnovers. Besides that game they have not pressured the passing and ballhandlers of the Spurs. Combined with the Heat's only rim protector (Wade) not playing well, and it is a parade to the paint which is causing open 3's as well

Sarcastic
06-14-2014, 09:24 PM
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/bobbyramos.jpg

funnystuff
06-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Bran is the worst defender in the league, hands down
This. He's almost as bad as Serge and Dwight.

funnystuff
06-14-2014, 09:37 PM
bran. This clown can only score on easy points but when the defense is tight, hes nowhere to be found. And this is why scoring>>>>everything else. Thats how kobe and jordan combined for 11 rings because they can force the issue.
Russel and Horry combined for 18 rings. Did they score a lot?

:facepalm

Nuff Said
06-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Their offense is just too much. You can't swarm and double anyone because they all know how to pass the ball to the open man. It's wearing the heat down trying to run after the ball so much. The spurs look unstoppable but if there's any team that can beat them it's the heat.

ILLsmak
06-14-2014, 09:52 PM
This why sports reporters are retarded, because they ask questions like this.

The only answer is always that it's a bit of both

it's only the Heat D if you think about it. Bad D lets the O do what it wants.

I don't believe in good O on that level. It may have been good O at first, but then the D gave up, got demoralized.

If it was good O AND bad D it would be even worse. Obviously, Spurs have to make the shots, but they are getting the shots they want every time. If you think about that, it has to be bad D. The Heat could be choosing something to take away, but they are giving up everything, unfort.

Dudes are lost out there and the Spurs are feasting on it.

-Smak

Anaximandro1
06-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Spurs players set quality screens, move without the ball, make the extra pass, are capable of knocking down the open jumper or finishing at the rim.

The Spurs are below average in terms of physical talent but they are elite in terms of technical skills, basketball IQ and experience.

They lack the athletic ability to dominate the game individually for long stretches, but when the five players combine their abilities, the Spurs offense is poetry in motion.

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/855240203.gif

You need elite paint protection in order to disrupt the Spurs' offense. Fortunately, the NBA currently lacks true big men ... The Spurs' biggest problem is Ibaka.

Would like to see the 1999 Spurs playing against the 2014 Spurs, two teams heading in opposite directions with radically different styles.

I suspect the 1999 Spurs would dominate with ease. The only thing is that rules have changed and Pop is light years ahead of his younger self.

That said, the Heat are not dead yet. They were dead in 2013 and look what happened ... ropes were set up in preparation for a trophy presentation to the Spurs for Christ's sake. :(

I'm paranoid tbh. You never know. Sometimes LeBron is a joke (Mavs series), sometimes LeBron is amazing (Pistons series)

Keeping up with the King ? My fear is that LeBron wakes up ... I hope Kawhi has one last epic game.

http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/1026638/

Jasper
06-16-2014, 10:05 AM
As I stated before game 5 - (another thread)

Man up defense was the key for Miami

They did so , the first qtr , but they were to exhausted to do it even for half the game , and once their defense broke down , Spurs spot up shooters that don't know how to create their own shot , had a field day with thier open shot selection.

This is why I wanted to see Allen from the Grizzly's come to the Heat...

Any case time to reload.

Question is will SPurs go out in a wimper , or play for another year. :confusedshrug:
Besides Lenard and Parker , the other two have old legs