PDA

View Full Version : Weaknesses of your fav player

played0ut
06-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Yeah, yeah your Kobe/Lebron/MJ's the best in the world. I'm pretty sure they shit gold too.

Let's keep things a bit level and try to maintain objectivity to make posting here more thought-inducing, instead of a vindictive emotional war of attrition :D .

My fave is MJ, btw. Larry Bird second:

Michael Jordan:
>He didn't come in the league with the mentality ready to win, unlike Bird/Magic/Russell. Needed time to mentally develop into a champion caliber player and leader.
>Can be an asshole to his team.

Aside from that? He's a ****ing rare player with NO weakness in his game. GOAT tier to me. Maybe improve his FT/3pt shooting.

Russell Westbrook:
>He knows Durant is better. He tries to defer to Durant for the better of the team (it's very moving to me T_T) but Durant's not stepping up.
>Not much on set plays (though it could just be a product of the system).
>Dat BBIQ lol. But again, possibly could be product of his coach's system.

Shaquille O'Neil: One of GOAT centers.
>Had problems against centers with mass. Admitting having problems with big Rik Smits, because of his size. Against those centers his unique edge (his overwhelming power) is somewhat neutralized. To beat players like that he would need a finesse game like Hakeem, which he didn't have (Hakeem never had problems with Smits lol).
>ft's, work ethic, everyone knows that.

Kobe Bryant:
> Had the drive, but not the mentality of a true champion leader initially. A loner who wouldn't build rapport/rely on his teammates. PJ called him uncoachable.
>Tunnel vision to the basket. Says he's willing to pass (and means it), but when he has the ball all he sees is the basket (he admitted it)-- he wants teammates to yell at him to pass.
>Largest arsenal of moves of any player in NBA history, but biggest problem is his shot selection. Forces it sometimes.

Lebron James:
Potential for GOAT, imo, but
>Does not have the mental fortitude of a true leader. Amazingly talented, but seems unable to force a consistent champion mindset on his team.
>He does everything at a higher level than everyone else, but seems unwilling to use his edge to force games in his favour, to bend the game to his will. Such a shame, such a shame.
>Explicitly admitted being scared of failure. That affects his game.
>Handling pressure. But understand, he's been lauded as the King since he was 16-- the pressure on him is UNBELIEVABLE. There's probably more pressure on him than anyone else in NBA history, besides maybe Wilt when he kept losing to Russell. And it's harder to handle because he's not a ferociously ruthless competitor like MJ/Kobe/West--He's just a nice guy from Akron.

Larry Bird: Aside from maybe Bill Russell and Magic Johnson, probably had the perfect mentality of a winner, AND leader. Would do anything to win, but understands the importance of teamwork straight from the start. Would bring the intensity and competitiveness of MJ but wouldn't be an asshole to teammates.
>The man's back. Injured it while shovelling gravel.
>Athleticism. Speed/agility/lateral movement. Luckily, his insanely high BBIQ and work ethic made up for it. And obviously, if he played in today's league he would work on conditioning.
>HIS BACK. Sigh. Such a shame, such a shame.

Now you guys. Add more or disagree, if you will.

riseagainst
06-14-2014, 12:59 PM
overall pretty good.
For lebron you should also add: worries more about his stats than wins. He would rather have good stats in a loss, than bad stats in a win.

JohnMax
06-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Lebron

>not my favorite player
>failed to get his father a ring (Oden)

-

played0ut
06-14-2014, 01:08 PM
overall pretty good.
For lebron you should also add: worries more about his stats than wins. He would rather have good stats in a loss, than bad stats in a win.

Lol I don't think he would 'rather' like that. I think it just seems that way because of how he reacts to pressure. He's openly admitted to being scared of failure.

But when the pressure's off (i.e lost games, or blowout wins), he'll be more comfortable playing on top of his game.

People need to realize he was put on a pedestal and hailed as the king at 16. The pressure on him is unbelievable-- there's probably more pressure on him than on any other NBA player in history, aside from maybe Wilt back then. The average person would easily crumble.

Lol he's just a nice guy from Akron, who was blessed with amazing physique and high BBIQ. People give him too much grief IMO.

Kawhi Not?
06-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Kawhi Leonard has no weaknesses

ArbitraryWater
06-14-2014, 01:23 PM
aggressiveness

HOoopCityJones
06-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Tunnel Vision.

If Kobe feels like none of his Teammates are matching his intensity we've already lost.

SHAQisGOAT
06-14-2014, 02:08 PM
Shaq:
-"Laziness", or say lack of proper work ethic
-FT shooting

Bird (good analysis you made there about him, before talking about weaknesses):
-Some "areas" of his overall athleticism, majorly lateral movement (I would never say agility though, as a 6'9 player, and certainly not conditioning/stamina/endurance)
-Back problems (doctors said he was gonna have those even if he never played professional sports and even without working on his mom's driveway, and whatnot, although that certainly aggravated it, and came in an earlier phase)... Can't really put the blame on him for that one but it definitely hurts his overall longevity.

Im Still Ballin
06-14-2014, 02:10 PM
My weakness is having a big dick. Very awkward around family members.

veilside23
06-14-2014, 02:13 PM
KG too much unselfishness... He should have demanded the ball more .

Inferno
06-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Defense and occasional shot selection

played0ut
06-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Kawhi Leonard has no weaknesses

that's true. he just needs to refine his shit.

aggressiveness

i'm rooting for the spurs, but im a huge fan of lebron too. I'm afraid I can't see him ever doing that. Fundamentally he's too much of a facilitator-- he'd have to change his mindset

KG too much unselfishness... He should have demanded the ball more .

it's ok if he's on a team with a lot of offensive options though. He's a great defensive anchor.

Defense and occasional shot selection

is that... steph curry?

Im so nba'd out
06-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Great thread you :applause: you put alot of thought into this thread and this is the response you get

My weakness is having a big dick. Very awkward around family members.
http://media.giphy.com/media/32AlnAaQ6ma4M/giphy.gif

unbelieveable....

Akrazotile
06-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Kobe Bryant:
> Had the drive, but not the mentality of a true champion leader initially. A loner who wouldn't build rapport/rely on his teammates. PJ called him uncoachable.
>Tunnel vision to the basket. Says he's willing to pass, but when he has the ball all he sees is the basket-- he wants teammates to yell at him to pass.
>Largest arsenal of moves of any player in NBA history, but biggest problem is his shot selection. Forces it sometimes.

Sometimes??

Im so nba'd out
06-14-2014, 10:03 PM
I dont have a fav player but ill just do mcw

Gambles too much on defense gives up alot of 3's

Eye Test
06-14-2014, 10:07 PM
kobe: too handsome, ppl get jelly

played0ut
06-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Great thread you :applause: you put alot of thought into this thread and this is the response you get

unbelieveable....

Eh, trolls keep the forum interesting, I won't lie. But it's when it's every other post or thread that it gets annoying. And honestly seems like half the threads are hateful troll threads lol.

Sometimes??

Objectively speaking, without trolling?

Yes, sometimes.

He can create his own high percentage shots, so those don't count as forcing it. It's when the defenses totally collapses on him and he chucks anyway, which isn't 'all the time', but is still too often.

And the thing about Kobe is a lot of times is that bad selection or not, often enough his forced chucked shots go in! It makes him look like a crazy shooter.

NZStreetBaller
06-14-2014, 10:17 PM
Kobe has amazing passing skills but prioritizes shooting too much

fpliii
06-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Shaq - Couldn't hit FTs, lazy, spiteful/immature ("get hurt on company time, heal on company time").

Kobe - Shot selection leaves something to be desired, inconsistent on the defensive end.

Wade - No meniscus in his knee, never worked on his 3pt shot.

Natureland
06-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Durant:

-Still gets pushed off his spots (it seemed like he ****ing regressed in this problem during the playoffs)
-Relied way too much on his three point shot the past season
-Needs to find more ways to play closer to the basket more often (improve post game, fight more when guys try to push him off his spot, etc.)
-Needs to improve his off-ball defense. He still gets caught ball watching too often.
-When he doesn't have the ball on offense should work to do other things (or Brooks should implement a system that encourages that) like screens, cuts, or whatever. He and Collison have a nice backdoor play and he will go for the lob off some sets from Russ but there's far more he (and the whole team really) could be doing when it comes to movement without the ball. Enough of that "decoy" shit where he just stands in a corner. Miami realized that was stupid for LeBron to do after one season.

played0ut
06-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Durant:

-Still gets pushed off his spots (it seemed like he ****ing regressed in this problem during the playoffs)
-Relied way too much on his three point shot the past season
-Needs to find more ways to play closer to the basket more often (improve post game, fight more when guys try to push him off his spot, etc.)
-Needs to improve his off-ball defense. He still gets caught ball watching too often.
-When he doesn't have the ball on offense should work to do other things (or Brooks should implement a system that encourages that) like screens, cuts, or whatever. He and Collison have a nice backdoor play and he will go for the lob off some sets from Russ but there's far more he (and the whole team really) could be doing when it comes to movement without the ball. Enough of that "decoy" shit where he just stands in a corner. Miami realized that was stupid for LeBron to do after one season.

Yeah Durant. I think a lot of it has to do with Brook's system. Also, Durant tries hard to improve his game, BUT it's mostly his skills when handling the ball. I agree. He should work more on the subtleties of the game, on the 'dirty' work (off ball game).

Im so nba'd out
06-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Bored so ill do one of kobe

-A white woman saying no to him

played0ut
06-14-2014, 10:25 PM
On topic, aside from MJ I think John Stockton was also a complete player with no real weaknesses.

Kobe has amazing passing skills but prioritizes shooting too much

I didn't watch many of his games when he was playing PG, but didn't he force passes too?

Rocketswin2013
06-14-2014, 10:29 PM
#1: Hakeem. Was undisciplined on D in his early years and was really selfish because of the trash cast he had around him. He fixed that in the early 90's though.

#2: Chris Paul. TOO UNSELFISH. Literally no other flaws.

#3: Chandler parsons. Too damn good looking IMO. And his lack of a postgame. Focus on D. Decision making can be Larry Bird like for a stretch of games and then Russell Westbrook like.

#4: Terrence Jones. Inconsistent at best jumper. Doesn't know when to pass or drive at times. Boxing out and postioning on D. His handle is that of a PG and his finishing is almost LeBron like though.

#5/#6: Harden and Howard: Harden usually has a great balance of when to be aggressive and get guys involved but the Portland series it was terribly out of whack. His handle is average with his right hand and his effort on D is bad.

Howard's freethrows and assertiveness. He lets his offense effect his D at times.

I could go on to all the Rockets because I like them all but this is enough I guess. :D

Young X
06-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Chris Paul

- Way too passive. Waits 'till it's too late to take over. Disappears sometimes when his team needs him even though he's shown he can take over games at will.

- Can't guard explosive, physical guards like prime D-Will, Westbrook, Rose, etc.

- Over dribbles sometimes.

That's it.

stalkerforlife
06-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Kobe - Too damn alpha and mistrusting of others. He's so confident, he, at times, will force a shot over 2-3 defenders rather than give it to an open man. Especially on game winners.

His weakness won him 5 rings, though.

c5terror
06-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Michael Jordan :
-3's.. He only have 5 season with 37%+ 3's (attempt 2.9 3's/game in those span)
-Asshole

Lebron James :
-Lack of Post Move, Lack Of ball security and ball handle in the post (Most of his post move/play end up in travel or strips).
-Lack Of Offensive Rebound. I cannot believe that MJ have more offensive rebound in his first 9 years than Lebron entire career up to now.
-Doesn't Box out( i dont know how often but that's what i saw in his 10-12 game during the regular season).
-Moving without the Ball. For him to be able to dominate, he need the ball in his hands do an iso and dunk. That's why he's offense is so easy to read, good thing he's bless with that athleticism.

To4
06-14-2014, 11:27 PM
Carmelo Anthony:

- FAT!!! needs to slim down to Nuggets Melo

- Work Ethic and Heart!!! Don't want him to just be satisfied with the money he is getting.

- Needs to finish stronger near the RIM! his FG% is horrible around the rim..

- Needs to pass more and doesn't stop the flow of the offense at times.

- improve on defense a bit. he was doing good this year.

Damn thats a lot..

Akrazotile
06-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Carmelo Anthony:

- FAT!!! needs to slim down to Nuggets Melo

- Work Ethic and Heart!!! Don't want him to just be satisfied with the money he is getting.

- Needs to finish stronger near the RIM! his FG% is horrible around the rim..

- Needs to pass more and doesn't stop the flow of the offense at times.

- improve on defense a bit. he was doing good this year.

Damn thats a lot..

:biggums:

BlkMambaGOAT
06-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Bryce Drew

- Atrocious jumpshot (pre-collusion Bran level)
- sh!t handling for a PG
- Lackluster FT shooting.

This niqqa would've dunk on Lebron all day if he were in his prime. Much respect to his grit.:cheers:

To4
06-14-2014, 11:41 PM
:biggums:

I dunno, for me he became bulkier, not even finishing strong anymore like nuggets melo :coleman:

SpecialQue
06-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Pau = not aggressive. When he's being a pouting bitch he's a liability. Has a pass-first mentality when he should be putting up shots. There have been so many times when he had a clear shot at a basket and just forced a pass, which led to a turnover, which led to my dick getting soft. Since he more than likely isn't going to be a Laker next season I'd kill to see him on the Spurs, since that's a team I can see maximizing his game.

imdaman99
06-15-2014, 01:06 AM
Westbrook
-Sometimes he has tunnel vision when you KNOW he's gonna take the shot regardless how the defense guards him
-Too intense, needs to calm down sometimes and channel that intensity on defense
-Make better decisions. Would help if he ever played with a veteran PG on his team that knew how to be a PG. Fish was not that guy, Fish was a spotup shooter and never had to create much offense in his career. JKidd would have been perfect for OKC last year.

GimmeThat
06-15-2014, 02:07 AM
Robert Horry

very boring playing style, isn't an elite athlete. probably isn't even a lockroom leader. but has an insane IQ when it comes to being at the right place for the right play and making them.

some people has the IT for grabbing rebound, and I guess Horry just have the IT on being the best fall back option/plan.

kureyşi-gospurs
06-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Wilt: didn't have the gtfo mentality

brantonli
06-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Very nice thread. I'll do it for some Rockets players:

Dwight Howard-
-fantastic specimen, lost some of his athleticism already but still far more athletic than most big men
- Still not a true leader. Despite being one of the oldest members of the Rockets, and talked about being a leader, I'm not sure how much the rest of hte team would follow his words.

Tracy McGrady
- Obvious weaknesses, bad leader. Never had the same drive as Kobe or Jordan did, more of a Vince Carter type. Did he want to win? Hell yes. Did he put in the 100% commitment, effort, every day of the year to do so? I doubt it.

Yao Ming
- Love this guy, reason why I started following basketball. Weakness was that he was very slow, and perhaps his commitment to the Chinese national team. Loved watching him on both the Rockets and the CNT, but those injuries man. Robbed us of the dominant Yao.
- Great shooter for a 7'6 guy, but he never controlled the flow of the game.

James Harden
- Millbuck will tell you all about his weaknesses
- Strippers
-Quiet leader, which never really works
-Also seems to have forgotten how to play off the ball

Rafer Alston (Remember this guy?)
-Great dribbling skills and perfectly willing passer, just a horrible three point shooter and that teardrop....

Aaron Brooks
-Can do nothing apart from score, and once his quickness disappeared, his playtime left too

Chandler Parsons
-Defense has gone down since rookie year. Shown himself to be a great guy on offense, can pass, shoot, drive. In fact, would be perfect for San Antonio's system. Could do more on defensive end and maybe me more a facilitator on offense.

GimmeThat
06-15-2014, 09:14 AM
idk man.

idk if calling James Harden a Rockets player already is a bit premature.