PDA

View Full Version : What can Spurs do this offseason?

Booz Vivic
06-16-2014, 11:22 AM
Can they keep their current roster or add to it and be favourites next year.

yaar yaar

Clyde
06-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Their total salary is around 53 million.

The season after that they have 8.5 million on the books

Basically they can do whatever they want.

QuebecBaller
06-16-2014, 12:15 PM
they should sign Greg Monroe

gts
06-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Whatever it is it'll be the right thing to do.. Spurs are the last team you ever worry about.

Jlamb47
06-16-2014, 12:17 PM
PARTY HARD AF

and then come back and win some more. I feel like we dont need any new tools or anything this year coming. Its gonna be an older squad, but i feel like the young players like mills,splitter,leonard,green are gonna be better to make the team stable.

TMT
06-16-2014, 12:20 PM
I just really hope we don't have to say goodbye to Patty or Boris. Both played a huge part in the championship run. I think both will get some good money thrown at them though and it'll be hard to turn down. :(

DMAVS41
06-16-2014, 12:21 PM
They should bring back Mills for sure. He's good enough to play a huge role next year.

Diaw isn't as important going forward, in my opinion, but he'd be great as well.

Just depends on how much money they each want.

Xoush
06-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Keeping Diaw is major.

chocolatethunder
06-16-2014, 02:32 PM
They should bring back Mills for sure. He's good enough to play a huge role next year.

Diaw isn't as important going forward, in my opinion, but he'd be great as well.

Just depends on how much money they each want.
You have a lot of good things to say and I think that you know basketball but I don't see how you think Diaw isn't as important going forward. Finding an undersized guy who can shoot and score a little is easier than finding a 6'8" guy who can pass and play and defend more than one postition. Not only can he pass but he's extremely smart and was as important to this championship as any other player on the team. In the next few years (he's 32 I think) he's about as important as anyone could possibly be. I've always loved him and it was nice to see him play a role on this team.

Adam Silver
06-16-2014, 02:34 PM
First thing is first. They need to celebrate with their fans.

Uncle Drew
06-16-2014, 02:35 PM
Re-sign Diaw, Mills. Sign Pau Gasol.

Styles p
06-16-2014, 02:49 PM
how about them getting thaddeus young? i think he would fit in well with the spurs, just don't really see what they have to offer the sixers.

DMAVS41
06-16-2014, 02:53 PM
You have a lot of good things to say and I think that you know basketball but I don't see how you think Diaw isn't as important going forward. Finding an undersized guy who can shoot and score a little is easier than finding a 6'8" guy who can pass and play and defend more than one postition. Not only can he pass but he's extremely smart and was as important to this championship as any other player on the team. In the next few years (he's 32 I think) he's about as important as anyone could possibly be. I've always loved him and it was nice to see him play a role on this team.

Easy. Diaw will be 32 next year.

Mills is 25.

Going forward if I had to pick which player to bring back...I'm bringing back Mills who hasn't seen his prime yet...while Diaw is past his.

I never said Diaw wasn't super important for them and I even said they should try to bring him back, but with Parker always hobbled and needing rest, having a guard like Mills is huge going forward for this Spurs team.

pegasus
06-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Bring back Diaw and Mills, and sign another impactful player. Now that they've made it to the finals twice and won it all this year, I can see some decent vets (like Ray Allen) signing for the minimum. Great organization, great guys, championship pedigree... can't beat that.

All Net
06-16-2014, 03:06 PM
They can afford to sign both and still have MLE but guess depends what offers Mills and Diaw get.

DMAVS41
06-16-2014, 03:11 PM
They can afford to sign both and still have MLE but guess depends what offers Mills and Diaw get.

I worry for the Spurs that Mills gets offered a lot.

I'd rather have Mills than Calderon, for example, and Calderon is making 7 million a year for 4 years.

I'm not sure the Spurs would be willing to match an offer like that.

Because you also have to leave enough room in the future for the extension Leonard will get this year that kicks in after the 2015 season.

I think 4 years 20 million is the highest you want to go for Mills.

chocolatethunder
06-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Easy. Diaw will be 32 next year.

Mills is 25.

Going forward if I had to pick which player to bring back...I'm bringing back Mills who hasn't seen his prime yet...while Diaw is past his.

I never said Diaw wasn't super important for them and I even said they should try to bring him back, but with Parker always hobbled and needing rest, having a guard like Mills is huge going forward for this Spurs team.
I feel like Mills is more replaceable than Diaw in the short term because there are plenty of short dudes who can score. Diaw can play his game for 2-3 more years. If they lost Mills in that time there's a much greater chance that they'd be able to find someone to fill his spot than there would Diaws because there are very few players like Diaw and plenty like Mills.
While Diaw is past his prime, he plays an important part on this team as it is. Patty Mills prime isn't going to be spectacular by any means. He's a nice player and you can get someone like him somewhere else.
I wanna be clear that I actually like them both and Mills has obviously worked hard. I'm just saying that in the short term moving forward that Diaw is more important and he was one of the most important guys on this team for sure.

navy
06-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Bring back everyone. Diaw is more important than Mills as evident by the Thunder and Heat series.

Kiddlovesnets
06-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Bring back everyone and they will repeat with absolutely no challenge.

rmt
06-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Diaw is much more important than Mills especially considering the Spurs' big man rotation. DMAVS41, you've seen what happens to the spacing when Diaw starts instead of Splitter. In the regular season, it doesn't matter as much because TD mostly does jump shots, but in the playoffs, he's in the post and hardly hits a jump shot. The spacing with Splitter isn't a good combination. Diaw provides spacing and a point forward to relieve pressure when MIA pressures/doubles Parker/Manu. Plus Bonner is probably going to the front office so they're left with no stretch 4.

Joseph can back up Parker if necessary. I think they have enough to pay both Diaw and Mills. If not, Duncan might opt out of his contract and take less to keep them both. I'm sure he wants to repeat.

r0drig0lac
06-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Resign Diaw and Mills, Diaw is the player who creates more mismatches for opponents that league not named Lebron, plus a basketball IQ elite

DMAVS41
06-16-2014, 03:55 PM
I feel like Mills is more replaceable than Diaw in the short term because there are plenty of short dudes who can score. Diaw can play his game for 2-3 more years. If they lost Mills in that time there's a much greater chance that they'd be able to find someone to fill his spot than there would Diaws because there are very few players like Diaw and plenty like Mills.
While Diaw is past his prime, he plays an important part on this team as it is. Patty Mills prime isn't going to be spectacular by any means. He's a nice player and you can get someone like him somewhere else.
I wanna be clear that I actually like them both and Mills has obviously worked hard. I'm just saying that in the short term moving forward that Diaw is more important and he was one of the most important guys on this team for sure.

Yea, I just disagree...especially with Parker's history of nagging injuries that is likely only to get worse.

And it's not just about the next couple years either. Duncan and Manu are likely done after next year. And Diaw on an average team isn't going to be able to play the way he has either.

I try to lock Mills down to a 4 year contract that is reasonable...he's 25...that just means too much.

Beastmode88
06-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Can they get bran bran? Free ring

DMAVS41
06-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Diaw is much more important than Mills especially considering the Spurs' big man rotation. DMAVS41, you've seen what happens to the spacing when Diaw starts instead of Splitter. In the regular season, it doesn't matter as much because TD mostly does jump shots, but in the playoffs, he's in the post and hardly hits a jump shot. The spacing with Splitter isn't a good combination. Diaw provides spacing and a point forward to relieve pressure when MIA pressures/doubles Parker/Manu. Plus Bonner is probably going to the front office so they're left with no stretch 4.

Joseph can back up Parker if necessary. I think they have enough to pay both Diaw and Mills. If not, Duncan might opt out of his contract and take less to keep them both. I'm sure he wants to repeat.

I disagree....especially because this is opponent specific.

You don't go with the guy out of his prime over the guy that hasn't even reached his prime...unless you are going to blow this thing up when Duncan retires.

Which I don't see happening. Parker, Leonard, Splitter, and Mills is a great core group to move forward with when Duncan/Manu hang it up.

I said I would keep both, but if you made me choose to keep one...I'd go with Mills.

All Net
06-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Wonder if Pau would accept the MLE.