Big#50
06-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Top 5 All time:

1. Jordan

2. Kareem

3. Duncan

4. Magic

5. Wilt/and or Bird/or Russel
I've had him at two for a while. Least now there is no doubt.

tontoz
06-16-2014, 09:05 PM
He is widely seen as the best 4 ever ahead of Malone/Barkley. Don't see how this really changes anything.

316MIA
06-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Actually he's really not

dubeta
06-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Top 5 championship roleplayer with Kobe, Robert Horry, Mike Miller, and Steve Kerr

lilgodfather1
06-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Not really. A championship is great and all, but he didn't win FMVP. If he had I would agree. He didn't, so a championship as a basically role player does not help his resume that much. Cements him over Shaq, but not Wilt or Russell to get him into the top 5.

Just wanted to add tjat this championship did for Duncan what Ray Allens last two did for him. A role player, with a big role playing well. Not a huge boost in rank.

dubeta
06-16-2014, 09:48 PM
Honestly, this pushes Duncan out of the Top 10, last 3 championships won without being the clear cut #1 man

2005- Manu

2007- Parker

2014- Leonard

Top 10 players are those that lead their team in championships, not turn into glorified role players (2014) or relegated sidekicks (2005, 2007)

NumberSix
06-16-2014, 09:55 PM
He's not top 5. There are easily 5+ players who are obviously better players than him.

Jordan
Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem

This are just 5 off the top of my head where there is clearly no debate.

T_L_P
06-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Honestly, this pushes Duncan out of the Top 10, last 3 championships won without being the clear cut #1 man

2005- Manu

2007- Parker

2014- Leonard

Top 10 players are those that lead their team in championships, not turn into glorified role players (2014) or relegated sidekicks (2005, 2007)

Explain how Duncan was a sidekick in 07

T_L_P
06-16-2014, 10:03 PM
He's not top 5. There are easily 5+ players who are obviously better players than him.

Jordan
Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem

How the **** is Shaq, Hakeem or Wilt not debatable?

Shaq played with more superstars than every other top 10 player combined, and he still has less to show for it than Duncan...he was a cancer on some teams, and he always came up short without the best wing player in the league (aside from 00).

At the end of the day, Shaq won four rings, three as the man, with Kobe, Penny, Wade, LeBron, Nash, Amare, Garnett and Pierce. Duncan won five, at least four as the man, with past-his-prime David Robinson, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and role players. Tell me what you want about his "dominance". At the end of the day Duncan did more with less, without all the headaches.

bukowski81
06-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Not really. A championship is great and all, but he didn't win FMVP. If he had I would agree. He didn't, so a championship as a basically role player does not help his resume that much. Cements him over Shaq, but not Wilt or Russell to get him into the top 5.

Just wanted to add tjat this championship did for Duncan what Ray Allens last two did for him. A role player, with a big role playing well. Not a huge boost in rank.

Dont want to get in a debate as silly as this, but Duncans role in this Spurs is far greater than Allen in the Heat.

Duncan was the second scorer, best rebounder, best defender of the Spurs in this playoffs and leader in most advanced stats, including PER.

As much as some people want to downgrade his role becasue of their agendas, he has a very strong case to be consider the best player of the Spurs in these playoffs.

poeticism707
06-16-2014, 10:18 PM

Jordan
Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem

Yes,

I am sure there was some guy in your prison league better than Tim Duncan.

Fact is, it is BOTH SKILL AND NBA RESUME THAT DEFINE GREAT PLAYERS,

when their careers are close.

So let's go over your "list," shall we?

Jordan still has TD career wise. Check.

You'll notice I have Kareem ranked on spot

above TD at number 2. Check.

Shaq? You must be kidding. Him being a slightly better scorer than TD does not make up for Shaq being a COMPLETE DEFENSIVE LIABILITY, COUDLN'T PLAY A SIMPLE PICK AND ROLL TO SAVE HIS LIFE. Fat, lazy, out of shape, bickered with teammates, and TD still has Shaq beat career wise.

Wilt, another freak of athetlicism, who couldn't translate his ridiculous advantages into only two paltry titles. And you homers want to reward his pathetic career, and over TD, who's career is twice as good. Just stop.

And now we come to Hakeem, everybody's favorite "Jordan in big man's body." TD and Hakeem are very close in skill, defensively and offensively, but look at the difference in actual winning: 5 titles to Hakeem's measley 2. But in your moronic, fanboi brains, Haleem is somehow rewarded "for potential." If titles ain't enough, why don't you check out the fact that the Spurs have won 50+ games a year, including lockout, since TD arrived: that's 17 years and counting. Or that TD has the highest winningest percentage of any player in the 4 major sports. But of course, Hakeem is soooo, great, because you watched him when you were 10, right?

Most fans think exacly like this, and most fans need to get a clue.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Its arguable given his longevity. He has no case over Jordan, Kareem, or Russell though

NumberSix
06-16-2014, 10:41 PM
How the **** is Shaq, Hakeem or Wilt not debatable?

Shaq played with more superstars than every other top 10 player combined, and he still has less to show for it than Duncan...he was a cancer on some teams, and he always came up short without the best wing player in the league (aside from 00).

At the end of the day, Shaq won four rings, three as the man, with Kobe, Penny, Wade, LeBron, Nash, Amare, Garnett and Pierce. Duncan won five, at least four as the man, with past-his-prime David Robinson, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and role players. Tell me what you want about his "dominance". At the end of the day Duncan did more with less, without all the headaches.
I don't care about fcuking trophy counts. They are better players than Tim. Hakeem is plain as day better than Duncan on both sides of the floor. I'm not even sure that Duncan was ever better than Prime Admiral.

NumberSix
06-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Its arguable given his longevity. He has no case over Jordan, Kareem, or Russell though
Nah, Duncan is a better player than Bill Russell was.

Asukal
06-16-2014, 10:44 PM
5th best ever to me. :cheers: :applause: :bowdown:

T_L_P
06-16-2014, 10:45 PM
I don't care about fcuking trophy counts. They are better players than Tim. Hakeem is plain as day better than Duncan on both sides of the floor. I'm not even sure that Duncan was ever better than Prime Admiral.

:facepalm

NumberSix
06-16-2014, 10:46 PM
Yes,

I am sure there was some guy in your prison league better than Tim Duncan.

Fact is, it is BOTH SKILL AND NBA RESUME THAT DEFINE GREAT PLAYERS,

when their careers are close.

So let's go over your "list," shall we?

Jordan still has TD career wise. Check.

You'll notice I have Kareem ranked on spot

above TD at number 2. Check.

Shaq? You must be kidding. Him being a slightly better scorer than TD does not make up for Shaq being a COMPLETE DEFENSIVE LIABILITY, COUDLN'T PLAY A SIMPLE PICK AND ROLL TO SAVE HIS LIFE. Fat, lazy, out of shape, bickered with teammates, and TD still has Shaq beat career wise.

Wilt, another freak of athetlicism, who couldn't translate his ridiculous advantages into only two paltry titles. And you homers want to reward his pathetic career, and over TD, who's career is twice as good. Just stop.

And now we come to Hakeem, everybody's favorite "Jordan in big man's body." TD and Hakeem are very close in skill, defensively and offensively, but look at the difference in actual winning: 5 titles to Hakeem's measley 2. But in your moronic, fanboi brains, Haleem is somehow rewarded "for potential." If titles ain't enough, why don't you check out the fact that the Spurs have won 50+ games a year, including lockout, since TD arrived: that's 17 years and counting. Or that TD has the highest winningest percentage of any player in the 4 major sports. But of course, Hakeem is soooo, great, because you watched him when you were 10, right?

Most fans think exacly like this, and most fans need to get a clue.
"fact" doesn't apply to things that are imaginary. There is no actual "greatness list". It's an imaginary thing based off of subjective opinions.

NumberSix
06-16-2014, 10:47 PM
:facepalm
A) Tell me that Duncan was a better offensive player than Hakeem. Go ahead.

B) Tell me that Duncan was a better defensive player than Hakeem. Go ahead.

T_L_P
06-16-2014, 10:53 PM
A) Tell me that Duncan was a better offensive player than Hakeem. Go ahead.

B) Tell me that Duncan was a better defensive player than Hakeem. Go ahead.

Nope, legit arguments can be made for Hakeem. An all out dominant guy. A headcase early in his career though.

My problem is your comments on Shaq and Robinson. Like I said, Duncan won more with less, was much easier to build around (ala Shaq only winning once without another top 5 player, whereas Duncan never got to play with a top 5 guy), was a much better leader and teammate, and was a much better two-way guy. Shaq wins on peak (barely) and stats, Duncan is the better winner, leader, consistent player, and franchise cornerstone.

Legends66NBA7
06-16-2014, 10:59 PM
Like I've said before, shouldn't have Duncan's ranking been moved up back in 2013 instead of right now ?

He played better last year than he did this year.

NumberSix
06-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Nope, legit arguments can be made for Hakeem. An all out dominant guy. A headcase early in his career though.

My problem is your comments on Shaq and Robinson. Like I said, Duncan won more with less, was much easier to build around (ala Shaq only winning once without another top 5 player, whereas Duncan never got to play with a top 5 guy), was a much better leader and teammate, and was a much better two-way guy. Shaq wins on peak (barely) and stats, Duncan is the better winner, leader, consistent player, and franchise cornerstone.
Who cares? All things are not equal. Why weigh unequal things evenly?

Carl Lewis won gold in the 100m. Are we supposed pretend that it is exactly equal to Usain Bolt's 100m gold? The guy who got 5th place against Bolt was faster than Carl Lewis. We gonna pretend like the 2012 silver winner isn't better than Carl Lewis?

Things aren't always equal. When things are inherently unequal, you don't weigh them evenly.

Shaq's 3peat > Duncan's 5

Big#50
06-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Hakeem LOL.
HeHeHeHeHeHheHeheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh ehehehehehwheh
Duncan playing with that pace and against those defenses and offenses. Heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh
Duncan greatest ever after Michael ****ing Jordan.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-16-2014, 11:22 PM
Nah, Duncan is a better player than Bill Russell was.

Many players were better than Russell.. Not very many had the career he did (nor intangibles) which is what we're discussing.

Jacks3
06-16-2014, 11:25 PM
Insanity.

poeticism707
06-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Who cares? All things are not equal. Why weigh unequal things evenly?

Carl Lewis won gold in the 100m. Are we supposed pretend that it is exactly equal to Usain Bolt's 100m gold? The guy who got 5th place against Bolt was faster than Carl Lewis. We gonna pretend like the 2012 silver winner isn't better than Carl Lewis?

Things aren't always equal. When things are inherently unequal, you don't weigh them evenly.

Shaq's 3peat > Duncan's 5

Go back to basic math class in 1st grade,

and you will learn this simple,

immutable fact:

5>3.

I hate it when fools try to hide nonsense,

with many, pointless words.

oarabbus
06-17-2014, 12:24 AM
Go back to basic math class in 1st grade,

and you will learn this simple,

immutable fact:

5>3.

I hate it when fools try to hide nonsense,

with many, pointless words.

This. NumberSix spouting off babbling absolute nonsense. And he tried to claim that number of championships won is meaningless :lol

Real14
06-17-2014, 12:26 AM
Top 5 All time:

1. Jordan

2. Kareem

3. Duncan

4. Magic

5. Wilt/and or Bird/or Russel
wheres kobe?:coleman:

kenuffff
06-17-2014, 12:27 AM

Jordan
Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem

what shaq??????? shaq is top 10 but he is not top 5.:no: this is a guy who was lazy as shit.. and played at 60% of his potential so basically if you say shaq at 60% is top 5, you're saying he is the best ever.

Big#50
06-17-2014, 12:46 AM

Jordan
Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem

Go home, niggha, you drunk.

deja vu
06-17-2014, 12:50 AM
My new top 5:

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Russell
4. Duncan
5. Magic/Bird (interchangeable with 6)

cltcfn2924
06-17-2014, 03:04 AM

Jordan
Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem

My god, don't make rocket science out of it:

Russell
Wilt
Bird
Magic
Jordan

No room for Kareem there. Wilt took over when Russ retired. These were the greatest at there position.

P.S.. I watched them all, I'm not shooting from the hip. Without an Old Oscar and Magic, Kareem is maybe 15. Just a stat monger.

havoc33
06-17-2014, 04:12 AM

Jordan
Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem

This are just 5 off the top of my head where there is clearly no debate.There will always be debate. There does not exist any unanimous list whom everyone will agree on. It is all subjective, you better get that in your head.

That being said, I also don't agree with Duncan being top 5. He has not been his teams best player on the last few championships, and he has been leaning heavily on other star players such as Ginobli, Parker and now recently Kawhi to do much of the work. He's top 10 in my book, but MJ, Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Magic and possibly Bird is ahead of him in my book. I would never consider Shaq top 5 alltime either, he's barely top 10. Shaq had the potential to be the best ever, but more than anything he actually underachieved.

T_L_P
06-17-2014, 10:18 AM
There will always be debate. There does not exist any unanimous list whom everyone will agree on. It is all subjective, you better get that in your head.

That being said, I also don't agree with Duncan being top 5. He has not been his teams best player on the last few championships, and he has been leaning heavily on other star players such as Ginobli, Parker and now recently Kawhi to do much of the work. He's top 10 in my book, but MJ, Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Magic and possibly Bird is ahead of him in my book. I would never consider Shaq top 5 alltime either, he's barely top 10. Shaq had the potential to be the best ever, but more than anything he actually underachieved.

So you think Parker was the best player in 07?

Iceman#44
06-17-2014, 10:29 AM
No way Duncan is top 5. Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, Magic and Bird.

GimmeThat
06-17-2014, 10:32 AM
"so, why do you have wilt as top 5?"

"because I think that if he was on my team, my team would win"

"well, would you like to have a career like wilt"

"______________________________________"

GimmeThat
06-17-2014, 10:42 AM
So you think Parker was the best player in 07?

Parker was the finals MVP.

the same way Shaq had beat Kobe over the FMVP award over 2001-2002 years.

While the argument of "How the best player didn't win FMVP" happens much rare than the regular season award MVP.

How anyone would like to justify the best player didn't win FMVP. Matchup?Stage? U.F.Os?

T_L_P
06-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Parker was the finals MVP.

the same way Shaq had beat Kobe over the FMVP award over 2001-2002 years.

While the argument of "How the best player didn't win FMVP" happens much rare than the regular season award MVP.

How anyone would like to justify the best player didn't win FMVP. Matchup?Stage? U.F.Os?
Duncan was the best player in 07, easily. Kobe was probably the best player in 01. Shaq was easily the best in 02.

FMVP is the best player in one series, not all four. :facepalm

Anaximandro1
06-17-2014, 11:33 AM
When you put things into perspective ... The Spurs are the most successful franchise in the NBA for almost two decades. It's amazing.

Timmy has made the impossible possible : The Spurs are above the Lakers, something that Larry Bird's Celtics couldn't achieve in the 80s and early 90s.

Only 4 players in NBA history combine 5 rings with multiple MVP and FMVP (Jordan,Kareem,Duncan and Magic). The fact that Timmy set multiple records in the playoffs (all-time leader in several categories) is the icing on the cake.

Jordan and Duncan in modern history. And of course, Bill,Wilt and Kareem.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wl-WiJX4WdM/U6BbxCPCiJI/AAAAAAAADAE/mh1Rx4Y9B78/s1600/3.jpg

nathanjizzle
06-17-2014, 11:35 AM
6, 7 or 8 position definitely. no way you can look at duncan and say "hes 9".

he was really the main motivation for his team. his no nonsense, get it done, dont be scared mentality really reflected the spurs team.

Jlamb47
06-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Duncan is definetly top 5

Jordan
Kareem
Duncan
Kobe
Shaq
Bird
Magic
Hakeem

i dont rank russ,Wilt,or oscar

DUncan is one of the best 2 way player on this list. His defense > over bird and magic and shaq
they all 3 might be slightly better on offense but Duncan is clutch in both sides to top them imo

poeticism707
06-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Duncan is definetly top 5

Jordan
Kareem
Duncan
Kobe
Shaq
Bird
Magic
Hakeem

i dont rank russ,Wilt,or oscar

DUncan is one of the best 2 way player on this list. His defense > over bird and magic and shaq
they all 3 might be slightly better on offense but Duncan is clutch in both sides to top them imo

Agreed.

But the TNT dummies cannot see something so obvious.