PDA

View Full Version : I think much, much higher of Wilt after these Finals.

Rocketswin2013
06-17-2014, 05:58 PM
I just cannot ignore the trash talent he was backpacking. I see now what a terrible cast can do to make a players impact as small as possible. Wilt = Top 5 at worst and it's not debatable.

All playoff series in which he played great but lost go out of the window. I don't care about missed FT's. He was grabbing 25+ rebounds and 40+ points on crazy efficiency every game. Blocking unfathomable amounts of shots and not fouling out.

He had some inexcusable chokes but everyone regressed at some point. Wilt is in my top 2-5.

riseagainst
06-17-2014, 06:02 PM
he's lucky to even be considered in the top 10. Dude choked hard from regular season to playoffs to finals.

dubeta
06-17-2014, 06:37 PM
I dont get how Wilt is a career 30 ppg scorer but only 19ppg in the finals

Helix
06-17-2014, 06:41 PM
he's lucky to even be considered in the top 10. Dude choked hard from regular season to playoffs to finals.

Get real! Anyone who knows ANYTHING about the NBA and its history knows Wilt Chamberlain is a top 5 player of all time. I've followed the NBA for over 50 years and the two greatest players I've seen are Chamberlain and Jordan. Chamberlain's the greatest big man to ever play, and Jordan's the greatest "little" man to ever play.

Jameerthefear
06-17-2014, 06:43 PM
This thread is going to turn into a retirement home in about an hour or so.

Kiddlovesnets
06-17-2014, 06:43 PM
To me hes the 2nd GOAT right below MJ, but everyone is entitled to his own opinion. Theres no consensus pick for top 5 other than MJ the absolute GOAT.

MrC1991
06-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Get real! Anyone who knows ANYTHING about the NBA and its history knows Wilt Chamberlain is a top 5 player of all time. I've followed the NBA for over 50 years and the two greatest players I've seen are Chamberlain and Jordan. Chamberlain's the greatest big man to ever play, and Jordan's the greatest "little" man to ever play.

lol can I ask how old are you homie?

Rocketswin2013
06-17-2014, 06:48 PM
This thread is going to turn into a retirement home in about an hour or so.
:roll:

Graviton
06-17-2014, 06:49 PM
If Wilt is Top 5 based on that criteria then Jerry West must be a Top 3 player All-Time. You don't ranked player on what ifs and maybes, you rank them based on events in the REALITY that they lived in. And you can't take stats out of context, take into account the amount of possessions they had back then.

Helix
06-17-2014, 06:51 PM
lol can I ask how old are you homie?

Three score and a little bit more. Why?

Marlo_Stanfield
06-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Wilt is GOAT and LEBron will replace him in 5-10 years:applause: :applause:
most dominant all around players ever.
LeBron scoring 28/8/5 on 58% and team loses in 5:facepalm :facepalm
Miami Cavaliers:facepalm :facepalm

jstern
06-17-2014, 06:53 PM

I haven't looked at his career stats, what he did year after year, but if I did I would probably see him averaging 50 ppg early in his career, and then averaging less PPG when he changed his game later in his career when he went to the Finals.

SouBeachTalents
06-17-2014, 06:53 PM
I feel Wilt has more questions than answers. His numbers are just so outrageous they're hard to put into perspective and understand how much they had to do with the era he played in. Add in the fact his numbers take a substantial dip in the playoffs, he's a tough player to get a good understanding of

La Frescobaldi
06-18-2014, 10:58 AM
What you'd have to understand about Chamberlain is this. Use James and the Heat to comprehend what happened.
Towards end of regular season Norris Cole tears calf muscle.
During East Semi-finals, Ray Allen breaks his arm.
During East Finals, Chris Bosh and Mario Chalmers are walking with severe hamstring pulls, and James himself has a calf tear.
Do they beat Pacers?
That's what happened to Sixers.

The Heat have Big 3 but instead of Norris Cole they have old age Luke Ridnour and instead of Ray Allen they have Brian Roberts.
In G7 of the Finals, about 5 minutes left, LeBron James tears his knee.

LBJ misses the season with knee injury. He comes back in time for playoffs, but unlike Jordan who gets a pass for losing in '95 even tho he wasn't injured but had just QUIT, James gets blamed for the season.

Wade and Bosh both miss the playoffs with injuries.

James never saw anything remotely like what happened to Chamberlain.

jongib369
06-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Simple, he wasnt in his prime scoring role for most of those finals.

jongib369
06-18-2014, 11:30 AM
http://oi58.tinypic.com/209gaxl.jpg

unbreakable
06-18-2014, 11:32 AM
wilt only has 2 championships
LOLOLOL

Rocketswin2013
06-18-2014, 11:34 AM
What you'd have to understand about Chamberlain is this. Use James and the Heat to comprehend what happened.
During East Finals, Chris Bosh and Mario Chalmers are walking with severe hamstring pulls, and James himself has a calf tear.
Do they beat Pacers?

The Heat have Big 3 but instead of Norris Cole they have old age Luke Ridnour and instead of Ray Allen they have Brian Roberts.

LBJ misses the season with knee injury. He comes back in time for playoffs, but unlike Jordan who gets a pass for losing in '95 even tho he wasn't injured but had just QUIT, James gets blamed for the season.

And now Wilt just has to become overrated. :facepalm: Just quit. If he had bad rosters they were the worst ever, if he was great in a series, he was 10x better than anybody else, ever. It's as if this thread was an insult to him

La Frescobaldi
06-18-2014, 11:52 AM
And now Wilt just has to become overrated. :facepalm: Just quit. If he had bad rosters they were the worst ever, if he was great in a series, he was 10x better than anybody else, ever. It's as if this thread was an insult to him
You have me confused with someone else I expect.
I never saw him with a bad roster. Wrecked rosters from injury, yeah.
And btw, Chamberlain, Jabbar & Jordan are the three greatest players I've ever seen. No one else is close to those three players.
But then I watched all of them from the bleachers, so we have a different point of view. Were you born before Jabbar retired?

deja vu
06-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Dude was statpadding in the regular season. When the playoffs came, he shrank and choked. Being a sub-.500 free throw shooter didn't help.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-18-2014, 11:55 AM
2/6

GimmeThat
06-18-2014, 11:56 AM
I think the question people want to point out is whether or not having great stats but without championship rings along with it actually hurts your ranking.

and somewhere an obsessed basketball fanatics of a younger version of me has whipped out the calculator to see what were the total production divided by rings won and trying to justify certain metrics.

Marchesk
06-18-2014, 12:01 PM
2/6

There's that, but then the two championship teams he was on are considered two of the greatest ever. One ended the Celtics 8-peat in 5 games coming off a 68 win season, and the other won 33 games in a row in route to 69 wins while beating Kareem's Bucks in the playoffs.

CavaliersFTW
06-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Do they beat Pacers?

Very well put, spot on :applause:

RoundMoundOfReb
06-18-2014, 12:05 PM
There's that, but then the two championship teams he was on are considered two of the greatest ever. One ended the Celtics 8-peat in 5 games coming off a 68 win season, and the other won 33 games in a row in route to 69 wins while beating Kareem's Bucks in the playoffs.
I was just being sarcastic. How is 2/6 worse than 2/5? Doesn't make sense.

Rocketswin2013
06-18-2014, 12:16 PM
You have me confused with someone else I expect.
I never saw him with a bad roster. Wrecked rosters from injury, yeah.
And btw, Chamberlain, Jabbar & Jordan are the three greatest players I've ever seen. No one else is close to those three players.
But then I watched all of them from the bleachers, so we have a different point of view. Were you born before Jabbar retired?
After.

La Frescobaldi
06-18-2014, 12:22 PM
After.
Makes it tough then bro.

Thing is we do have the current league to watch tho!!

My bet, if the Heat stay together... They are back to the Finals... unless maybe Pacers upgrade their bench. nobody else can stop them in the East.