PDA

View Full Version : Coach Nick breaks down LeBrons lack of Finals effectiveness, calls him a "statpadder"

russwest0
06-18-2014, 08:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y02r-Dz5cMw

Interesting video showing that LeBron was nowhere near as effective as the final stats indicated for the series. Coach Nick breaks down the situations where the Heat were within a 10 point defect and shows that LeBron did almost nothing in those situations compared to when they were being blown out by 15+.

navy
06-18-2014, 08:55 AM

Interesting video showing that LeBron was nowhere near as effective as the final stats indicated for the series. Coach Nick breaks down the situations where the Heat were within a 10 point defect and shows that LeBron did almost nothing in those situations compared to when they were being blown out by 15+.

Did you watch the entire video? I know the answer but whatever.

russwest0
06-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Did you watch the entire video? I know the answer but whatever.

I stopped at the part where he was talking about LeBron choking and then rubbed one out :rockon:

Derka
06-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Ah crap, no sound on my PC at work. Will watch this when I get home tonight.

navy
06-18-2014, 09:03 AM
This dude knows his shit :applause: He brought up a good point about Miamis offense aswell, I thought Spo did a bad job of playcalling in this series and went away from what was successful.
Spo did what he usually does. The difference is Wade and the shooters just didnt have it.

This was the most efficient offense in the nba and Coach Nick has been complaining about it all year for 4 years now. I watch his videos. You cant control players missing open shots (like he acknowledged in the video) and layups (Wade :facepalm )

Indian guy
06-18-2014, 09:11 AM

Interesting video showing that LeBron was nowhere near as effective as the final stats indicated for the series.

Nowhere in the video does Nick say that, nor do any of the numbers imply that.

Coach Nick breaks down the situations where the Heat were within a 10 point defect and shows that LeBron did almost nothing in those situations

Miami had 42 possessions in the series when they trailed by 6-10 points. They scored 29 points in that situation, with LeBron directly contributing for 21 of those points. Of course, we don't know for how many of those 42 possessions was LeBron on the court for.

compared to when they were being blown out by 15+.

36% of his points in the series came with Miami down 15+ points. What does that stat mean, anyway? Given how quick and often Miami was down big in this series, I'd say it means nothing. 64% of LeBron's points in the series did come when the game could be considered 'competitive'. That's pretty good.

navy
06-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Fair enough I guess. I just watched his vid from after game 4 and he broke down what was wrong with their offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnU-HfgaKKk

He has been complaining about it all year and despite being wrong for like 3 years now and all of this year including most of the playoffs , when they finally lose all he tried to say was "I told you so" like he has been right or something. Like I said this has been the most efficient offence in the nba. Even above the Spurs this year. Wade and the three point shooters just didnt have it this series. So the offense tanked. The defense on the other hand? Not good this year.

I like Coach Nick but watching his video his biases and his own coaching preferences are apparent. He is part of the reason I started analyzing basketball for the X and O's and not the emotion/ESPN narratives that gets regurgitated on here so there is that I guess.

navy
06-18-2014, 09:45 AM
I haven't watched his vids before so ill take your word for it. I think there have been some legitimate criticisms of Miami's offense the past few years, but it's hard to argue with the results. But when u play the elite teams and defenses the teams flaws are highlighted or exposed more. However the defense was more of an issue this series anyway...
The only time the offense was bad was 2011. But Wade was in his prime so it really didnt matter.

In 2012, they got better. In 2013 and 2014 they were elite and the stats back me up.

Lebron is the driving force of the team and offensively even when he sucks he's good. But in the playoffs Wade, Bosh, or the supporting cast need to perform.

Problem was this year, they were too old and Wade picked the wrong time to tank completely. But it happens. Like Ginobli and Tony Parker shitting the bed last year in the finals. Only Superstars are reliable.

The defense was bad though. Especially Lebron except for a few stretches on Parker. The Heat dont have real rim protection so Lebron and Wade are not allowed to play bad defensively. They did. :facepalm

Dresta
06-18-2014, 09:57 AM
The only time the offense was bad was 2011. But Wade was in his prime so it really didnt matter.

In 2012, they got better. In 2013 and 2014 they were elite and the stats back me up.

Lebron is the driving force of the team and offensively even when he sucks he's good. But in the playoffs Wade, Bosh, or the supporting cast need to perform.

Problem was this year, they were too old and Wade picked the wrong time to tank completely. But it happens. Like Ginobli and Tony Parker shitting the bed last year in the finals. Only Superstars are reliable.

The defense was bad though. Especially Lebron except for a few stretches on Parker. The Heat dont have real rim protection so Lebron and Wade are not allowed to play bad defensively. They did. :facepalmLargely agree with this. Though i think the one good point the vid made was about Lebron post-ups. The Spurs were not doubling and were focused on stopping Miami's team offense (frequently staying at home on other guys - there were few open shots for Miami, most were well contested), so Miami should've been going to Lebron in the post again and again until it forced the Spurs to double. But this is more down to Spo than Lebron really.

edit: watched the video to the end and looks like he is blaming Spo as well. Yes Wade and other guys missed shots they were making in the previous series, but i thought Miami's offensive playcalling was woeful.

aburre21
06-18-2014, 10:07 AM
he clearly must not be factoring in 1st quarters...because I can count 31 lol just off my head...14 in the first quarter of game 3 and 17 in the first quarter of game 5....not to mention that outburst in game 2 and the 4th quarter he had. They just got blown out a lot

navy
06-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Largely agree with this. Though i think the one good point the vid made was about Lebron post-ups. The Spurs were not doubling and were focused on stopping Miami's team offense (frequently staying at home on other guys - there were few open shots for Miami, most were well contested), so Miami should've been going to Lebron in the post again and again until it forced the Spurs to double. But this is more down to Spo than Lebron really.

14% to 11% is not really a significant drop considering how this series went. At least in my opinion. The problem with Lebron post ups is that it truly is the only time Lebron intentionally isolates if the other team is not going to double. If they did double the other players have to make shots. Which they werent this series.

But I dont see how you can argue with 28 points on high efficiency. Would he have really gotten to 30+ on 60% shooting or something? No, I dont think so.

funnystuff
06-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Wade missed multiple baby layups in each game, this guy. :roll:

navy
06-18-2014, 10:21 AM

I think Wade shot a higher percentage outside the paint than inside. :facepalm

nylife33
06-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Statpadder? Look I'm no fan of Lebron, but even I can admit that he's a great player. The criticism he receives at times is just ridiculous. Granted he's deserved his share of judgment over the years, but that's because of the attention he draws to himself at times. But there was not much he could do to stop the Spurs. Give credit, the Spurs were the better team.

The Heat, as good as they've been the past 2, 3 seasons, they just weren't as good this seasons. They were older and slower coming into the 2014 regular season. As great as Lebron is, he can't carry an entire team it's not possible.

GimmeThat
06-18-2014, 10:36 AM
so I should now proudly march into my guy's office who's suppose to score when the points differentiation is within 10 points and complain about his efficiency right?

The End of Hero Ball!!!! Hurray!!!!

mehyaM24
06-18-2014, 11:09 AM
anybody who thinks lebron statpadded is a major idiot

did jordan stat pad against midgets via the suns in 1993? (40ppg in the finals)

only on a basketball forum is 28ppg on 57% shooting considered "average" :oldlol:

Droid101
06-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Statpadder? Look I'm no fan of Lebron, but even I can admit that he's a great player. T
The guy in the video calls him the best player in the world.

But you can't argue with facts. Too many of his points came when the Heat were already done. Watch the video before you comment like this.

russwest0
06-18-2014, 11:14 AM
anybody who thinks lebron statpadded is a major idiot

did jordan stat pad against midgets via the suns in 1993? (40ppg in the finals)

only on a basketball forum is 28ppg on 57% shooting considered "average" :oldlol:

who said that what lebron did was average?

he's the 2nd, maybe 3rd best player on the planet and people want him to play like such. I don't see a problem with that.

navy
06-18-2014, 11:16 AM

But you can't argue with facts. Too many of his points came when the Heat were already done. Watch the video before you comment like this.
36% isnt alot considering how fast and how many times the Heat went down big...

navy
06-18-2014, 11:16 AM

he's the 2nd, maybe 3rd best player on the planet and people want him to play like such. I don't see a problem with that.

Durant has emptier stats than Lebron and had a better supporting cast. Dude got carried. Has that ever happened to an MVP before? :lol

russwest0
06-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Durant has emptier stats than Lebron and had a better supporting cast. Dude got carried. Has that ever happened to an MVP before? :lol

:biggums: who said anything about durant?

navy
06-18-2014, 11:21 AM
:biggums: who said anything about durant?
Oops, Im sorry. Westbrook is better than Durant these days anyways. :lol

mehyaM24
06-18-2014, 11:22 AM

LMAO

whos better?

DMAVS41
06-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Westbrook played better against the Spurs than Lebron did.

navy
06-18-2014, 11:28 AM

So, Westbrook is better than Lebron?

kamil
06-18-2014, 11:29 AM

Dude called himself a 'high percentage shooter' after losing the chip.

Dresta
06-18-2014, 11:34 AM
14% to 11% is not really a significant drop considering how this series went. At least in my opinion. The problem with Lebron post ups is that it truly is the only time Lebron intentionally isolates if the other team is not going to double. If they did double the other players have to make shots. Which they werent this series.

But I dont see how you can argue with 28 points on high efficiency. Would he have really gotten to 30+ on 60% shooting or something? No, I dont think so.
Except there shouldn't have been a drop-off but an increase considering how ineffective Miami were being. Post-ups also give the opportunity to slow the game down and perhaps take the Spurs out of their rhythm. They should've started getting him in the post in at least 30% of possessions, force the Spurs to double repeatedly, and then eventually someone would start making open shots. Lebron is supposedly a great passer from the post, he would either score or create a good shot (would have cut down TO's too). The problem with Miami's offense is that they didn't get enough good shots and no one could establish a rhythm.

nylife33
06-18-2014, 11:36 AM

Comprehend my entire post before u single me out.

Later

navy
06-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Except there shouldn't have been a drop-off but an increase considering how ineffective Miami were being. Post-ups also give the opportunity to slow the game down and perhaps take the Spurs out of their rhythm. They should've started getting him in the post in at least 30% of possessions, force the Spurs to double repeatedly, and then eventually someone would start making open shots. Lebron is supposedly a great passer from the post, he would either score or create a good shot (would have cut down TO's too). The problem with Miami's offense is that they didn't get enough good shots and no one could establish a rhythm.

It only slows down Miami though. Like I said, Lebron was scoring at a decent pace, even if he posted up more he wouldnt have improved the efficiency much. It wouldnt stop the Spurs from scoring.

30% is also a completely new offensive structure and would take away more from the team...

Knoe Itawl
06-18-2014, 11:41 AM

Come on D. Did Lebron have a consistent 30+ppg scorer next to him?

Ne 1
06-18-2014, 11:46 AM
LeBron's Finals this year were a lot like Durant's 2012 Finals. Yeah, his efficiency was great and his stats look pretty good on paper, but the rest of the game just wasn't there. His defense was mediocre, his play-making wasn't the same, and he was a turnover machine. Also, LeBron was clearly outplayed by Leonard in the two biggest games of the series on Bron's home court, he's a role player but looked like an All-Star in games 3-5 with LeBron defending him. Although unlike LeBron, for Durant's performance, he has the explanation of not being in his prime yet and inexperience/still learning the playoff ropes. LeBron was just inconsistent throughout the series outside of that great game 2. His lack of a killer instinct and passiveness in moments when the team needed him to step up was clearly an issue.

russwest0
06-18-2014, 11:51 AM

Westbrook was easily the best player in the playoffs this year. Or "Playoffs MVP" so to speak.

He shit on Conley, Paul, and Parker and provided elite offense, rebounding, and defense throughout.

I wish more coaches understood the value of rest like Popovich. Not only does it have your stars firing on full gear in the playoffs but it also gets some of the bench players more ready should they be needed in the playoffs.

Westbrook was 100% rested for the playoffs because of the injury concerns. I wish they would have done the same for Durant regardless. Riding a guy that hard late in the year while he's in a shooting slump and two other starters are down is stupid as hell. Just take the damn 3rd seed and get the man some rest.

Rose'sACL
06-18-2014, 11:52 AM
LeBron's Finals this year were a lot like Durant's 2012 Finals. Yeah, his efficiency was great and his stats look pretty good on paper, but the rest of the game just wasn't there. His defense was mediocre, his play-making wasn't the same, and he was a turnover machine. Also, LeBron was clearly outplayed by Leonard in the two biggest games of the series on Bron's home court, he's a role player but looked like an All-Star in games 3-5 with LeBron defending him. Although unlike LeBron, for Durant's performance, he has the explanation of not being in his prime yet and inexperience/still learning the playoff ropes. LeBron was just inconsistent throughout the series outside of that great game 2. His lack of a killer instinct and passiveness in moments when the team needed him to step up was clearly an issue.
Thunder lost because Heat focused on shutting harden. Lebron put a lot of pressure on thunder defense by barely taking any 3s and scoring in paint only on drives and post-ups.
Durant had a great series. there was very little he could have done more. He was hitting jumpers with lebron's hand on his face. Lebron was just not giving him easy drives. He rarely got easy drives to the basket with lebron on him. He still had a great series.
Guys like you just can't give credit to the other team. Heat played better than thunder. Durant was the second best player in that series and not by a very huge margin.

navy
06-18-2014, 11:55 AM
LeBron's Finals this year were a lot like Durant's 2012 Finals.
I only give Durant trolls a hard time for that Finals. (0-1)
There was nothing wrong with Durant really. Didnt play good defense, but whatever.

Harden and Scott Brooks just shit the bed.

Rose'sACL
06-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Westbrook was easily the best player in the playoffs this year. Or "Playoffs MVP" so to speak.

He shit on Conley, Paul, and Parker and provided elite offense, rebounding, and defense throughout.

I wish more coaches understood the value of rest like Popovich. Not only does it have your stars firing on full gear in the playoffs but it also gets some of the bench players more ready should they be needed in the playoffs.
you also have to think about how much difference a player like durant makes to defensive scheme of the other team.
Without durant, westbrook wouldn't have as many easy drives to the basket as he does now. he shot under 40% in all the losses against grizzlies. His rebounding is what made him a good player in that series.

Dresta
06-18-2014, 12:03 PM
It only slows down Miami though. Like I said, Lebron was scoring at a decent pace, even if he posted up more he wouldnt have improved the efficiency much. It wouldnt stop the Spurs from scoring.

30% is also a completely new offensive structure and would take away more from the team...
The way Miami were defending and how they were effectively being run of the floor energy wise means they definitely should've slowed the game down and it would have helped them on both ends. They still would've lost, but it wouldn't have been as embarrassing.

russwest0
06-18-2014, 12:05 PM
In the 2012 Finals Durant defended well until foul trouble became a huge problem in 3 straight games and he was forced to guard chalmers and got torched.

He held LeBron to 9-27 shooting for that series, but he got in foul trouble a lot and then was asked to guard chalmers and did pretty bad. A lot of the calls against were questionable at best though, some of them blatantly horrible calls.

But thats just how it goes, you couldn't breathe on the Heat that year. OKC got the same treatment in the WCF, just not in the Finals at all vs Miami who's treatment continued.

I mean LeBron made like a total of 5 jumpshots that whole series :oldlol:

as a basketball fan thats the main reason I started to not like the guy, it was one of the more boring displays I've ever seen from a star. the ref assistance and espn nonsense just put it all over the top :lol

Rose'sACL
06-18-2014, 12:12 PM
In the 2012 Finals Durant defended well until foul trouble became a huge problem in 3 straight games and he was forced to guard chalmers and got torched.

He held LeBron to 9-27 shooting for that series, but he got in foul trouble a lot and then was asked to guard chalmers and did pretty bad. A lot of the calls against were questionable at best though, some of them blatantly horrible calls.

But thats just how it goes, you couldn't breathe on the Heat that year. OKC got the same treatment in the WCF, just not in the Finals at all vs Miami who's treatment continued.

I mean LeBron made like a total of 5 jumpshots that whole series :oldlol:

as a basketball fan thats the main reason I started to not like the guy, it was one of the more boring displays I've ever seen from a star. the ref assistance and espn nonsense just put it all over the top :lol
lebron made a clear effort not to take many 3s. he pretty much hit OKC at their weakpoint which was their interior defense. lebron made the clear effort after 2011 loss to play as much as he could in the paint. He got so many open 3s for his role players because of playing the paint because no single okc player could defend him.
You really don't know much about basketball, do you?
you should always get more free throws for playing the paint as opposed to hitting jumpers. Lebron was hitting jumpers against Spurs in the finals and that is why he got fewer free throws.

russwest0
06-18-2014, 12:17 PM
lol I know, I was just talking from an asthetics standpoint.

when okc fell apart with perkins in there on game 1 and then in like the second half westbrook and durant alone outscored miami to win the game I was like this is badass, and then when they almost did the exact same thing in game 2 but had the refs completely screw them (and pretty much in game 3 as well) I was like damn, this sucks.

I think game 3 was actually worse than game 2 because at the start of the 3rd quarter Miami got a ridiculous amount of calls and put into an early bonus and still barely won the game.

That series would have been far more epic had the refs not taken over. OKC would have started up 2-0 and Brooks probably would have stayed stubborn with Perkins keeping Miami in it and it would have went at least 6 games but probably 7.

Dr.J4ever
06-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Nice analysis by Coach Nick. I liked the last part about "buying talent" as the Heat's only solution. Coach Nick correctly says "there is so much to be done" with their existing lineup, but it proves they(the Heat) lack the imagination and real commitment to a team ball system that the Spurs run.

AirFederer
06-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Imho Nick calls out Spo..,

riseagainst
06-18-2014, 01:12 PM
i've been saying this since 08. This guy is a stat padder, he cares more about his stats than wins...

Da_Realist
06-18-2014, 01:26 PM
It's not the end of the world. Lebron just led his team to 4 straight deep playoff runs with an Olympics stint within. The 80's Celtics started breaking down after a similar run. Detroit started slowing down after 3 straight trips to the Finals. Kobe/Gasol Lakers were embarrassed in the conference semis after a 3 year run to the Finals. Lebron and the Heat should get some slack.

They carried a bull's eye on their back for 2 years

They played a risky, gambling defense that was exposed by a team with pinpoint passing and they simply wore down.

It happens. It wasn't that long ago NOBODY aside from Russell's Celtics ever won back-to-back. Now Miami can win 2 straight titles and everyone yawns because they didn't win more. Until this year, San Antonio had never even made it to the Finals two years in a row.

Dresta
06-18-2014, 01:34 PM
It's not the end of the world. Lebron just led his team to 4 straight deep playoff runs with an Olympics stint within. The 80's Celtics started breaking down after a similar run. Detroit started slowing down after 3 straight trips to the Finals. Kobe/Gasol Lakers were embarrassed in the conference semis after a 3 year run to the Finals. Lebron and the Heat should get some slack.

They played a risky, gambling defense that was exposed by a team with pinpoint passing and they simply wore down.

It happens. It wasn't that long ago NOBODY aside from Russell's Celtics ever won back-to-back. Now Miami can win 2 straight titles and everyone yawns because they didn't win more. Until this year, San Antonio had never even made it to the Finals two years in a row.
This. But everyone hates Miami so any logical thinking pertaining to the matter goes straight out the window.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Why did he only talk about offense?
Lebrons shitty team/help/man defense was the biggest reason they lost

Sarcastic
06-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Imho Nick calls out Spo..,

He's calling out Spo, but saying the seemingly nice stats that Lebron put up, were not as nice as they looked.

At the end of the day, stats are stats, but not all points are equal in the context of a game.

Rubio2Gasol
06-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Bosh in the triple threat > Bron ball.

russwest0
06-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Bosh in the triple threat > Bron ball.

I don't understand why they don't get Bosh the ball at the elbow right along the paint more. In an area where can either shoot, pass, or attack.

As opposed to having well over half of his touches be on the perimeter or in deep mid range territory.

Look at what someone like Gasol did with Phil Jackson coaching. Why can't Bosh do that on offense? Gasol was never strong and always got criticized for being soft but that didn't stop him from producing a bunch because of the positions he was put in.

I guess it just falls in with what we've come to expect though: LeBron turns dynamic players into spot up shooters.

russwest0
06-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Why did he only talk about offense?
Lebrons shitty team/help/man defense was the biggest reason they lost

Yeah but the rest of the Heat team played bad defense too because the Spurs were firing on all gears.

However the way I see it if I have to sit here and on each telecast, night after night, hear LeBron get marketed as "the best defender in the league" because he offers some sort of versatility that apparently "no one else" does and when he "locks in" can shut down anyone, blah blah blah... then why can't he be criticized when he plays shit defense like he did all season this year and in the Finals?

Lebron23
06-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Coach Nick is a dumb @$$.

fpliii
06-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Yeah but the rest of the Heat team played bad defense too because the Spurs were firing on all gears.

However the way I see it if I have to sit here and on each telecast, night after night, hear LeBron get marketed as "the best defender in the league" because he offers some sort of versatility that apparently "no one else" does and when he "locks in" can shut down anyone, blah blah blah... then why can't he be criticized when he plays shit defense like he did all season this year and in the Finals?
LeBron's defense didn't lose him the series (the Spurs offense was just incredible), but I do think it was a much bigger problem than his scoring was.

According to Synergy stats, LeBron spent significant time guarding two guys in the series, Leonard and Parker (2=made 2, 3=made 3, +1=and1, X=miss, T=turnover, F=foul):

Guarding Leonard:

G1: 2,X,T (2 points, 1 turnover, 3 plays)
G2: 2,F,F (2 points, 2 fouls, 3 plays)
G3: 3,T,2,T,3,3,2+1 (14 points, 2 turnovers, 7 plays)
G4: 2,F,X,2,3,X,2,2 (9 points, 1 foul, 8 plays)
G5: 2,X (2 points, 1 play)
---
Overall: 29 points, 3 fouls, 3 turnovers, 22 plays

Guarding Parker:

G1: no plays
G2: no plays
G3: F,F (0 points, 2 fouls, 2 plays)
G4: X,2 (2 points, 2 plays)
G5: 2,2,X,X,X,X (4 points, 6 plays)
---
Overall: 6 points, 2 fouls, 0 turnovers, 10 plays

He guarded Leonard terribly in games 3 and 4.

He was better in the ECF:

Guarding George:

G1: X,2,F,3,X (5 points, 1 foul, 5 plays)
G2: X,X,F (0 points, 1 foul, 3 plays)
G3: X,X (0 points, 2 plays)
G4: 3,F,T,X,T,T (3 points, 1 foul, 3 turnovers, 6 plays)
G5: 3,X (3 points, 2 plays)
G6: F,X,X (0 points, 1 foul, 3 plays)
---
Overall: 11 points, 4 fouls, 3 turnovers, 21 plays

Guarding Stephenson:

G1: 2 (2 points, 1 play)
G2: X,F (0 points, 1 foul, 2 plays)
G3: 2,F,T,T,X,2 (4 points, 1 foul, 2 turnovers, 6 plays)
G4: no plays
G5: no plays
G6: 3,3,X (6 points, 3 plays)
---
Overall: 12 points, 2 fouls, 2 turnovers, 12 plays

but for whatever reason, Leonard destroyed him in those two games.

Leonard guarded LeBron decently, but not as well as Paul George did:

Paul George:

Isolation: 2,2,X,2,X,2,2 (10 points, 7 plays)
P&R Ball Handler: 3+1,2,T,T,X,T,X,X,F,X,X,X,X,T,T,X,X,2,X,2,X,X,T,F (9 points, 2 fouls, 6 turnovers, 24 plays)
Post-Up: T,2,X,2,2,X (6 points, 1 turnover, 6 plays)
P&R Man: 2 (2 points, 1 play)
Spot-Up: X,3,X,F,3 (6 points, 1 foul, 5 plays)
Off Screen: 2+1,2,T,X,X (5 points, 1 turnover, 5 plays)
Hand Off: F (0 points, 1 play)
---
Overall: 38 points, 3 fouls, 8 turnovers, 49 plays

Kawhi Leonard:

Isolation: X,F,F,2,X,T,X,F,X,2 (4 points, 3 fouls, 1 turnover, 10 plays)
P&R Ball Handler: 3,F,3,T,2,T,3,3,X,T,2,X,X,X,X,X,3 (19 points, 1 foul, 3 turnovers, 17 plays)
Post-Up: T,2,2,2,F,F (6 points, 2 fouls, 1 turnover, 6 plays)
P&R Man: 2,2,2 (6 points, 3 plays)
Spot-Up: X,2,X,3,F (5 points, 1 foul, 5 plays)
Off Screen: N/A
Hand Off: T (0 points, 1 turnover, 1 play)
---
40 points, 7 fouls, 6 turnovers, 42 plays

though Leonard was terrific guarding LeBron on isos.

navy
06-18-2014, 02:19 PM
LeBron's defense didn't lose him the series (the Spurs offense was just incredible), but I do think it was a much bigger problem than his scoring was.

According to Synergy stats, LeBron spent significant time guarding two guys in the series, Leonard and Parker (2=made 2, 3=made 3, +1=and1, X=miss, T=turnover, F=foul):

Guarding Leonard:

---

Guarding Parker:

---

Guarding George:

---

Guarding Stephenson:

---

Paul George:

P&R Ball Handler: 3+1,2,T,T,X,T,X,X,F,X,X,X,X,T,T,X,X,2,X,2,X,X,T,F (9 points, 2 fouls, 6 turnovers, 24 plays)
---

Kawhi Leonard:

P&R Ball Handler: 3,F,3,T,2,T,3,3,X,T,2,X,X,X,X,X,3 (19 points, 1 foul, 3 turnovers, 17 plays)
---

:applause:

Dresta
06-18-2014, 02:22 PM

Guarding Leonard:

---

Guarding Parker:

---

Guarding George:

---

Guarding Stephenson:

---

Paul George:

---

Kawhi Leonard:

---

Should also be noted that when Bron guarded Parker in game 5 he got pretty gassed and was ineffective mostly after the 1st quarter. The whole team was just low on energy i think and got worn down by that excellent ball-movement after 4 long seasons.

stalkerforlife
06-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Bron was nowhere to be found when the bleeding needed to be stopped, with the exception of game 2. His scoring outbursts happened when the game was out of reach or at the beginning of the game, which is the least important part of a game.

Stats, in Bron's case, are flatout liars.

hawke812
06-18-2014, 03:42 PM

Haters need to leave Lebron alone. He was the best player in the finals by far. No help was given again. This dude carried the whole team on his back.

SamuraiSWISH
06-18-2014, 04:08 PM
So essentially, he did say LeBron's stats on paper aren't as impressive in the context of the game?

Thus, in a sense stat padding. And apart from game 2, LeBron's scoring really didn't have that necessary impact.

1st guarter game 3, 3rd quarter game 4 (down by 15 plus), and 1st quarter game 5. Why didn't he keep his foot on the pedal in those games he started out hot? He needed to be aggressive as a scorer the entire series, it wasn't like he was being a distributor averaging 4 apg.

And Coach Nick is mainly calling out Spo for being the horrendous, lazy coach anyone with a brain knew him to be. He's just not that good, he has loads of talent on his team though that has helped him skate by to a couple of champonships.

Xoush
06-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Coach Nick is right, Bran was nowhere to be found when the game was close and a Superstar was needed to take it over.

jlip
06-18-2014, 04:51 PM

It is refreshing to read analysis like this from genuine fans of the game.

knicksman
06-18-2014, 06:19 PM
as jordan said. You missed the open shots you dont take. Once youll take that into account, youll realize how overrated his stats are.

knicksman
06-18-2014, 06:27 PM

Guarding Leonard:

---

Guarding Parker:

---

Guarding George:

---

Guarding Stephenson:

---

Paul George:

---

Kawhi Leonard:

---

its harder to guard off the ball players than on the ball thats why leonard>george. And this is what lebron stans arent getting at. Lebron is more unstoppable off the ball but he wont do that due to miss opportunities of either getting an assist or points in every position.

riseagainst
06-18-2014, 06:42 PM
its harder to guard off the ball players than on the ball thats why leonard>george. And this is what lebron stans arent getting at. Lebron is more unstoppable off the ball but he wont do that due to miss opportunities of either getting an assist or points in every position.

this.

PickernRoller
06-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Coach Nick doing his best captain obvious impression....with a youtube video no less.

We already know Lebron is a statpadder.

What he's really saying however is that Bron has "empty stats". That is also obvious to anyone but a diehard LeTard.

We also know the guy is a fraud with a losing record to above .500 teams in the playoffs.

Dr.J4ever
06-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Coach Nick is right, Bran was nowhere to be found when the game was close and a Superstar was needed to take it over.

This is also a lesson for many clueless fans here on this board who love stats. They think stats are a be all, end all. The key thing about stats is WHEN you produce them. The timing of your stats is what leads to winning.

And winning is the ultimate goal. The players that produce the most wins are the best players, not the ones who produce high stats on losers.