wade
-better scorer (in his prime)
-better shotblocker
-better rebounder
-better slasher

ill go with wade, but i think its close

Dresta
06-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Idiot. The answer to this is Wade by a mile.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Wade is better. His scoring alone makes this "comparison" lopsided.

Peak GP was a bad mofo though. In a league without handchecking...he'd flourish.

navy
06-18-2014, 11:42 AM
In a league without handchecking...he'd flourish.
Because?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Because?

Because it's a guards league today. GP had several seasons where he attempted 20+ FGA...without handchecking he's not only shooting more, but is also a bit more effective.

Defensively he might not be as great, but offensively? Significantly better.

tmacattack33
06-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Wade for certain.

As a second option it'd be Payton though.

plowking
06-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Wade, easily.

navy
06-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Because it's a guards league today. GP had several seasons where he attempted 20+ FGA...without handchecking he's not only shooting more, but is also a bit more effective.

Defensively he might not be as great, but offensively? Significantly better.

Handchecking would be gone, but he would have people completely leaving their man to stop his drives. It's a give and take.

He was good, but not great offensively.

winwin
06-18-2014, 11:52 AM
payton is the better player

not even close

longhornfan1234
06-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Wade.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Handchecking would be gone, but he would have people completely leaving their man to stop his drives. It's a give and take.

He was good, but not great offensively.

If we're including GP's playmaking skills, he was elite offensively.

This isn't Dikembe Mutombo who was great on one end...and so-so on the other.

nylife33
06-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Idiot. The answer to this is Wade by a mile.

Be nice.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Wade, easily.

Fiddlesticks
06-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Gary Payton.

SouBeachTalents
06-18-2014, 01:06 PM
payton is the better player

not even close

You can choose Payton, saying it's not even close is a flat out lie

Leroy Jetson
06-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Lebron would get a lot more alley oops if he played with Payton.

Dresta
06-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Lebron would get a lot more alley oops if he played with Payton.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjYzL6Dw2LA

Wade and Bron on the fast break really shits on what Payton and Bron on the fast break would be.

Leroy Jetson
06-18-2014, 01:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjYzL6Dw2LA

Wade and Bron on the fast break really shits on what Payton and Bron on the fast break would be.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UfM1GrwPACk

Dresta
06-18-2014, 01:39 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UfM1GrwPACk
I don't know if you actually watched the video i posted but the Wade/Bron ones were far more impressive and had at least ten oops better than any of those. Wade and Bron were also particularly damaging on the fast break because they both could throw excellent alley-oop passes and were also great finishers of alley-oops. Honestly, the comparison isn't in the same league, and if you'd watched that video you'd know it.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Gloves one of my alltime faves but this Wade

Marlo_Stanfield
06-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Gary Payton is WAY WAY better int he playoffs.
Wade had three good playoff runs in his live
pathetic and retarded player and indicidual

pastis
06-18-2014, 01:47 PM
difficult to answer

i have wade between 28-35 (now more 33-35). payton is for me in the same area, or at least not far away from his rank.

both good sidekicks:applause: :applause:

FatComputerNerd
06-18-2014, 01:50 PM
They play different positions so it's a tough comparison to make.

Peak Wade was obviously the better #1 option type of player, but I'd take the Glove over him when building a team from scratch every time.

Dresta
06-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Gary Payton is WAY WAY better int he playoffs.
Wade had three good playoff runs in his live
pathetic and retarded player and indicidual
:roll:

What a delusional piece of shit you are. Payton only had a PER over 20 3 times in his playoff career, 2 of those when he got knocked out in the first round. Wade has 6 (all over 22, with 5 over 24), and he won chips in 2 of them. And in his 3rd chip he put up Payton-like playoff numbers.

Idiots like you pretending Wade wasn't any good in 2012. Bron doesn't get past Indiana without that ridiculous performance by Wade in games 4-6 of that series. Have some respect for the man who Bron wouldn't have a single championship without.

Dresta
06-18-2014, 01:54 PM
They play different positions so it's a tough comparison to make.

Peak Wade was obviously the better #1 option type of player, but I'd take the Glove over him when building a team from scratch every time.
Why exactly? Take a look at how a 3rd year Payton was performing in the playoffs compared with 3rd year Wade. Wade really put up superior numbers and had significantly more team success than Payton in pretty close to each and every season of his career.

FatComputerNerd
06-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Why exactly? Take a look at how a 3rd year Payton was performing in the playoffs compared with 3rd year Wade. Wade really put up superior numbers and had significantly more team success than Payton in pretty close to each and every season of his career.

Because when building a team from scratch, Payton is probably going to be my PG every time. Best 2-way PG ever.

I'd pick more of a traditional SG...possibly Allen, dunno.

That doesn't mean I think Payton was the better overall player necessarily. Arguments could be made for both.

I really hate trying to compare two players who are so different in position and play-style.

Rubio2Gasol
06-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Give me Gary

He was a real scrapper.

Rameek
06-18-2014, 02:14 PM
http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/p/gary_payton_vs_dwyane_wade.htm

I'd take Glove longevity. Peak time maybe 2 or 3 years I'd take Wade.

Dresta
06-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Because when building a team from scratch, Payton is probably going to be my PG every time. Best 2-way PG ever.

I'd pick more of a traditional SG...possibly Allen, dunno.

That doesn't mean I think Payton was the better overall player necessarily. Arguments could be made for both.

I really hate trying to compare two players who are so different in position and play-style.
Well if you're talking positions sure you could take Payton over Wade as a PG, but if you were choosing just one player to build a team around (assuming you can't just choose anyone you want, and have to adhere to cap restrictions etc.) i don't see how you couldn't pick Wade over Payton. I mean Payton @ PG, but Allen over MJ/Kobe/Wade @ SG - really? Allen's defense has always been sub-standard, whereas a pairing of Payton with either of those 3 guys would be a lockdown backcourt.

ArbitraryWater
06-18-2014, 03:12 PM
:roll:

What a delusional piece of shit you are. Payton only had a PER over 20 3 times in his playoff career, 2 of those when he got knocked out in the first round. Wade has 6 (all over 22, with 5 over 24), and he won chips in 2 of them. And in his 3rd chip he put up Payton-like playoff numbers.

Idiots like you pretending Wade wasn't any good in 2012. Bron doesn't get past Indiana without that ridiculous performance by Wade in games 4-6 of that series. Have some respect for the man who Bron wouldn't have a single championship without.

:coleman:

daz cold

klee
06-18-2014, 09:14 PM
I've got 3 points.

1) Payton's got that incredible 2-way game. For his position:

Creating his own offense 10/10
Creating offense for others 7/10
Man defense 10/10 (arguably the best there ever was)
Team defense 9/10

2) Wade's Finals success in '06, aka his biggest claim to fame and stardom, has fans somehow disillusioned by the fact that Dallas should and would have won if it wasn't for some seriously f'ed up officiating that put Wade at the line way more than he deserved to.

3) Although they're both once-in-a-generation type players and I feel Payton is often criminally underrated, I think Wade takes this one and is slightly on another tier than Payton. Wade's peak was reminiscent of Jordan-level shooting guard dominance. As good as the glove was, I don't think he ever reached that level of absolute, utter, "we've almost never seen anyone this good" type of eminence.

------------------------------

Though I don't know if you had some twisted "agenda" when you made this thread, I appreciate the discussion it's bringing about because I think it's worthwhile for people to recognize that it's not just a non-debate and that the topic merits discussion; Payton was pretty damn remarkable at the PG spot. People talk about some PGs as great defenders and some PGs as great scorers but defensive liabilities--Gary Payton was most probably the best individual defender and also best individual scorer as a PG for a good number of years in the league whilst playing alongside guys like Stockton and Kidd.