PDA

View Full Version : Zach Lavine

dc_chilling
06-19-2014, 05:01 AM
This kid is a monster and is only 19 years old.

6'6, crazy athlete, and has a smooth jump shot.

Anyone passing on him in the top 15 is ****ing up hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX1y_t7IoQs

JtotheIzzo
06-19-2014, 05:02 AM
couldn't crack the starting line-up at UCLA, highly doubt he will be a stud next level.

russwest0
06-19-2014, 05:03 AM
weak handles, weak defense, average length.

not sure why he is getting hyped so much. He isn't the first 6'5+ guy to run fast and have a good vertical.

dc_chilling
06-19-2014, 05:05 AM
couldn't crack the starting line-up at UCLA, highly doubt he will be a stud next level.

I remember Westbrook at UCLA too. Incredible athlete that put up average numbers.

This kid has Russell Westbrook athleticism as a sg.

russwest0
06-19-2014, 05:07 AM
I remember Westbrook at UCLA too. Incredible athlete that put up average numbers.

This kid has Russell Westbrook athleticism as a sg.

Westbrook had all the advanced stats suggest that he could play the point in the NBA and was one of the best perimeter defenders in college basketball, even winning defensive player of the year in the Pac-10.

Aside from being fast and jumping high I don't see the comparisons between Lavine and Westbrook at all.

dc_chilling
06-19-2014, 05:12 AM
Westbrook had all the advanced stats suggest that he could play the point in the NBA and was one of the best perimeter defenders in college basketball, even winning defensive player of the year in the Pac-10.

Aside from being fast and jumping high I don't see the comparisons between Lavine and Westbrook at all.

I'm not saying he is Westbrook, I'm just saying that you can't judge a player based on their college production.

I actually see him more as a hyper athletic Klay Thompson to be honest.

russwest0
06-19-2014, 05:16 AM
If you're going to draft a point guard for potential reasons you take Elfrid Payton and if you're looking for a wing you draft someone like Cleanthony Early.

Both of those guys showed that they could actually hang at the college level while Lavine didn't.

With his average length, mediocre defense, poor handles and footwork, you're already gambling on him becoming some sort of stud one way player that develops nba level handles, footwork, and overall ability to create for himself in the pros.

And since he doesn't project at all as a point guard to the NBA I just don't see it happening.

I just don't get the hype with Lavine.

To4
06-19-2014, 05:17 AM
Draft day is coming..

Cocaine80s
06-19-2014, 05:18 AM
If you're going to draft a point guard for potential reasons you take Elfrid Payton and if you're looking for a wing you draft someone like Cleanthony Early.

Both of those guys showed that they could actually hang at the college level while Lavine didn't.

Lavine won't be a point guard at the NBA so you're basically hoping as a 2 in the pros that he won't get bullied on defense and will work on being able to create any sort of opportunities for himself.

because ur a fa*got

dc_chilling
06-19-2014, 05:20 AM

Lavine won't be a point guard at the NBA so you're basically hoping as a 2 in the pros that he won't get bullied on defense and will work on being able to create any sort of opportunities for himself.

Whenever you get a 6'6 SG with a 43 inch vertical and elite speed, it raises eyebrows.

When that same player can shoot the lights out, it raises more.

If he puts in the work, he could be a really special player on the next level.

dc_chilling
06-19-2014, 05:23 AM

With his average length, mediocre defense, poor handles and footwork, you're already gambling on him becoming some sort of stud one way player that develops nba level handles, footwork, and overall ability to create for himself in the pros.

And since he doesn't project at all as a point guard to the NBA I just don't see it happening.

Westbrook averaged 3.4/0.8/0.7 and was an elite athlete at UCLA as a freshman.

Had I made this thread then, you would have been saying the same thing.

russwest0
06-19-2014, 05:26 AM
Westbrook averaged 3.4/0.8/0.7 and was an elite athlete at UCLA as a freshman.

Had I made this thread then, you would have been saying the same thing.

Right, and he didn't come out as a freshman because he didn't show he could hang.

Again, Lavine has nothing to do Westbrook.

dc_chilling
06-19-2014, 05:32 AM
Right, and he didn't come out as a freshman because he didn't show he could hang.

Again, Lavine has nothing to do Westbrook.

Lol the point just goes right over your head.

The point is, you're wrong. How a player performs in college is not a great indicator of how he will perform in the league.

I used Westbrook as an example because like Lavine, he went to UCLA. Like Lavine, Westbrook was also was a freak athlete who didn't start his freshman year. Even in his sophomore year, he never put up resounding numbers.

So your point about "he didn't show much in college" is moot.

russwest0
06-19-2014, 05:35 AM
Lol the point just goes right over your head.

The point is, you're wrong. How a player performs in college is not a great indicator of how he will perform in the league.

I used Westbrook as an example because like Lavine, he went to UCLA. Like Lavine, Westbrook was also was a freak athlete who didn't start his freshman year. Even in his sophomore year, he never put up resounding numbers.

So your point about "he didn't show much in college" is moot.

No, it's not moot at all just because Westbrook didn't show anything as a freshman in college getting no minutes. Had Westbrook came out after his freshman year he wouldn't have gone in the lottery and who knows how far he would of fell.

You can't just say "College production means nothing, draft me because I'm athletic."

dc_chilling
06-19-2014, 05:44 AM
No, it's not moot at all just because Westbrook didn't show anything as a freshman in college getting no minutes. Had Westbrook came out after his freshman year he wouldn't have gone in the lottery and who knows how far he would of fell.

You can't just say "College production means nothing, draft me because I'm athletic."

Westbrook didn't really show that much as a sophomore either. He was drafted based on crazy upside. Players that average 12/4/4 on 46% shooting in college are usually not top 4 picks in the draft.

Lavine has a smooth jump shot and pretty good handles from what I have seen. Plus, he would be playing at the weakest position in the NBA right now. The two guard.

Sleep on him if you want. I see massive potential there.

russwest0
06-19-2014, 05:47 AM
I'm glad you aren't the GM of my team then. Drafting a "project" with average length because "college production means nothing" and "he's athletic."

dc_chilling
06-19-2014, 05:54 AM
I'm glad you aren't the GM of my team then. Drafting a "project" with average length because "college production means nothing" and "he's athletic."

It's ironic that you say that given your favorite player russwest.

305Baller
06-19-2014, 05:58 AM
Slow off the dribble. Weak handles.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-19-2014, 06:07 AM
You would've probably taken Beasley over Rose.

russwest0
06-19-2014, 06:10 AM
You would've probably taken Beasley over Rose.

Rose was easily the top prospect in the draft that year.

So why the hell would I take Beasley over him?

kurple
06-19-2014, 06:10 AM
neither did westbrook

and he didnt play with Anderson. one of the biggest missmatches in all college ball

no room for zach to handle the ball

kurple
06-19-2014, 06:11 AM
you must have been pissed off when OKC used #4 on westbrook then

oh, you prob didnt watch basketball then

RoundMoundOfReb
06-19-2014, 06:12 AM
Rose was easily the top prospect in the draft that year.

So why the hell would I take Beasley over him?
Because he had better college production and Rose was the better athlete. Athleticism matters.

russwest0
06-19-2014, 06:13 AM
you must have been pissed off when OKC used #4 on westbrook then

oh, you prob didnt watch basketball then

I wasn't pissed at all, just surprised since everyone on TV was acting like he could fall down to the bottom of the top 10.

Went and did more research on him and absolutely loved the pick.

russwest0
06-19-2014, 06:15 AM
Because he had better college production and Rose was the better athlete. Athleticism matters.

Right, and it's not anywhere close to as cut and dry as "the better athlete = the better player." Rose has plenty of production at the college level so he is a horrible example to be compared to Lavine.

Lavine has showcased almost nothing at the college level to make me think he is worthy of the hype he is getting. Westbrook still won defensive player of the year and showcased an ability to play point guard and be an elite rebounder.

So far from Lavine literally all we've seen is that he's a great athlete with a decent shot. Thats it.

russwest0
06-19-2014, 06:20 AM
Slow off the dribble. Weak handles.

Stop that talk!

He's going to just magically blow by shooting guards in the NBA!!!

Lavine :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Carter_17
06-19-2014, 06:27 AM
Lavine>Shitbrook . He is gonna be top 5 PG after next season . Hope Lakers get him

ZenMaster
06-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Westbrook didn't really show that much as a sophomore either. He was drafted based on crazy upside. Players that average 12/4/4 on 46% shooting in college are usually not top 4 picks in the draft.

Lavine has a smooth jump shot and pretty good handles from what I have seen. Plus, he would be playing at the weakest position in the NBA right now. The two guard.

Sleep on him if you want. I see massive potential there.

Because you insist of comparing them through three numbers and the fact they played in the same jerseys you're completely forgetting about WBs defense, which is half the game. WB was a defensive player of the year in college mind you.

Sure they are both crazy athletic but the reason you see so much of WB using his atleticism is because he creates transition offense through his defense, this is WBs main strength as a player but it won't be Lavines.

Lavine has potential, I don't see him becomming the next WB though and I think if one of these GMs did he'd be taken higher than around 15. Just like WB was and Kidd-Gilchrist the same.

Cocaine80s
06-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Lavine will be what westbrook couldve been if he was 3 inches taller and played sg.

dc_chilling
06-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Stop that talk!

He's going to just magically blow by shooting guards in the NBA!!!

Lavine :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Well he will come into the league as the most athletic shooting guard.

I don't see why it is far fetched to believe he will be able to blow by sgs.:confusedshrug:

Btw, here are the combine numbers for Westbrook, Rose, and Lavine:

WB: 6'3.5, 36.5 inch max vert, 3.08 3/4 court sprint, 10.98 agility drills

Rose: 6'2.5, 40 inch max vert, 3.05 3/4 court sprint, 11.67 agility drills

Lavine: 6'5.5, 41.5 inch max vert, 3.19 3/4 court sprint, 10.42 agility drills

Plus, Lavine has a much better jumpshot coming into the league than Rose and WB did. What sg in the league is going to stop that kind of athleticism?

Rubio2Gasol
06-19-2014, 08:54 AM
He looks kinda like Gerald Green in a sense. His athleticism is obviously elite, but is he tenacious enough to make it unstoppable?

NuggetsFan
06-19-2014, 08:57 AM

That's the entire point dude. Had Westbrook or one of the many NBA players that didn't go crazy there NBA freshmen season entered the draft they would have fell down the boards and a team would have landed a huge steal. I bet every NBA scout wish he went back to school. He's risky, but there's upside there.

I agree college production should mean something. So should logic and common sense. Had Lavine went back to school what would happen next draft? Would he figure things out and have a big year thus raising his stock, or continue to have average production? That's what it comes down too with him declaring early.

LaVine is a completely athletic beast. Has every physical tool including size you could want. He's not some athletic tweener with no position. Not just a leaper. Has a jumper to go along with all those physical gifts too. Handle isn't great, not a redflag given his physical traits and 6'5 frame.

Dresta
06-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Needs to sort out that step-back: travels every time. Amazing how someone can have so much coaching and training and not have that pointed out to him. Was embarrassing to watch.

dc_chilling
06-19-2014, 09:01 AM
He looks kinda like Gerald Green in a sense. His athleticism is obviously elite, but is he tenacious enough to make it unstoppable?

I don't know, but it's worth a 10-15 pick to find out.

If you miss, you get a faster version of Gerald Green.

If you hit, you get a super athletic Klay Thompson.

On a side note, Gerald Green has turned into a decent player in Pheonix.

Dresta
06-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Also, wasn't Wesley Johnson supposed to be a great athlete with a decent shot and no handles. How did he work out?

dc_chilling
06-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Needs to sort out that step-back: travels every time. Amazing how someone can have so much coaching and training and not have that pointed out to him. Was embarrassing to watch.

I was thinking that myself.:roll:

With the way travels are missed in the NBA, who knows?

It could become a weapon for him lol.

Rubio2Gasol
06-19-2014, 09:09 AM

Probably won't be called.

@dc chilling

I agree, if you trust your organization. If the Pacers, Thunder, Spurs, Suns, or the Celtics draft him, I'd be more than optimistc. Those guys are elite at player development.

But when you go outside that, it's a risk. In this draft, with better options on the table, a huge risk.

dc_chilling
06-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Also, wasn't Wesley Johnson supposed to be a great athlete with a decent shot and no handles. How did he work out?

He has pretty decent handles to be honest.

Here is his hoopmixtape, granted it is against lower competition, but the foundation is there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe1-I5Hti6s

People that claim he has no handles are misinformed.

NuggetsFan
06-19-2014, 09:12 AM

Johnson played 3 years of college ball. Way more tape, more of an idea of what he had to offer. Not as good of a leaper, not as explosive or quick as Lavine either. Better length, better size but didn't Johnson come out as bit of a tweener SF/PF? Like a Shawn Marion/Josh Smith type talent. Lavine has potential to play PG down the road but has good size for a SG too.

I don't think Lavine is a slam dunk. Just an incredible athlete. His jumper is good. Handle isn't beyond terrible. Good high risk/high reward type player because nobody knows what would have happened to his stock with another college season.

hateraid
06-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Johnson played 3 years of college ball. Way more tape, more of an idea of what he had to offer. Not as good of a leaper, not as explosive or quick as Lavine either. Better length, better size but didn't Johnson come out as bit of a tweener SF/PF? Like a Shawn Marion/Josh Smith type talent. Lavine has potential to play PG down the road but has good size for a SG too.

I don't think Lavine is a slam dunk. Just an incredible athlete. His jumper is good. Handle isn't beyond terrible. Good high risk/high reward type player because nobody knows what would have happened to his stock with another college season.

That's why he should go to a team that has ball handlers and all he's required to do is run and shoot. Sixers are a perfect fit!

hawksdogsbraves
06-19-2014, 10:38 AM
I definitely wouldn't mind the Hawks taking a shot at this guy at 15, extreme boom bust potential but you could be getting a star if he puts it together.

Carter_17
06-19-2014, 10:41 AM
I definitely wouldn't mind the Hawks taking a shot at this guy at 15, extreme boom bust potential but you could be getting a star if he puts it together.

You think that Lavine will drop at 15 :lol :lol

chocolatethunder
06-19-2014, 10:45 AM
That's why he should go to a team that has ball handlers and all he's required to do is run and shoot. Sixers are a perfect fit!
I sure want him but I doubt he's on Hinkie's radar. He's def a high risk high reward player.

Bless Mathews
06-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Another nba prospect from the Seattle area.

Reppin the 425

hawksdogsbraves
06-19-2014, 11:45 AM
You think that Lavine will drop at 15 :lol :lol

Every mock draft has him going later than 15 :confusedshrug:

MannyO
06-19-2014, 11:58 AM
This guy reminds me of Jeremy Lamb/Archie Goodwin. Only comparison to westbrook is they both jump high and went to UCLA.

Carter_17
06-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Every mock draft has him going later than 15 :confusedshrug:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

Sure bro. In your 2k game maybe.

imdaman99
06-19-2014, 01:15 PM
I'm rooting for the kid, but I doubt he has the drive Westbrook has. But time will tell.

hawksdogsbraves
06-19-2014, 01:34 PM
http://www.nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

Sure bro. In your 2k game maybe.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/263649131.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2095541-2014-nba-mock-draft-breaking-down-the-entire-1st-round

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2014&version=8&sourceId=1

Cool shit, cherry pick the one mock draft out there that has him that high.

How many drafts did you look through to find that one? :oldlol:

Cocaine80s
06-19-2014, 02:08 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/263649131.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2095541-2014-nba-mock-draft-breaking-down-the-entire-1st-round

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2014&version=8&sourceId=1

Cool shit, cherry pick the one mock draft out there that has him that high.

How many drafts did you look through to find that one? :oldlol:
Lol at cherry picking.

Who the **** goes to philly.com? And bleacher report?:roll:

And insider too lmao :lol

NuggetsFan
06-19-2014, 02:12 PM
This guy reminds me of Jeremy Lamb/Archie Goodwin. Only comparison to westbrook is they both jump high and went to UCLA.

I think the comparison to Westbrook stems from being an overall athlete. Fast, quick, explosive. He's not just a leaper and I mean he doesn't jump high. He jumps ridiculously high. 41.5 inch vert and measured what 46 with L.A in the private workout? Goodwin had a 36 inch vert.

That and the fact both Lavine and Westbrook didn't do much there freshmen season. Westbrook was a far superior prospect tho and I think your right in saying Lavine is more like a Lamb which is why he'll go anywhere from 10 to 20. Alot higher than Goodwin simply because he's more of a physical specimen. While Lamb had more polished basketball skills and less of an athlete. He came out his 2nd year too, Lavine has more of that untapped "potential" to his name and risk as well. Lamb went 12th .. Lavine should go within that range.

hawksdogsbraves
06-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Lol at cherry picking.

Who the **** goes to philly.com? And bleacher report?:roll:

And insider too lmao :lol

They're just the first drafts that show up in a google search :confusedshrug:

I'm not going to take the time to dive into the internet to find the one mock that supports my point, 90% of the random mocks out there do that for me :confusedshrug: