PDA

View Full Version : Pat Riley telling it like it is

AintNoSunshine
06-19-2014, 09:35 PM
I'm paraphrasing here.

He's basically telling everyone from the media to the haters to the fans to Lebron, Wade, Bosh and other players to get a grip and to understand losing is just as much of a part of it as winning.

All the great teams lost more than they've won, and I think this directs to James, who's showing a tiny bit of indecisiveness when asked, "don't find the first door and run after you lose".

I think Lebron is in a good place, having a very successful past 4 years, and having a good owner and a legendary GM and basketball genius in Riley running things for him. He should definitely stay here and I feel like this is only the start of a much longer journey, hopefully a dynasty.

Rubio2Gasol
06-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Lose.

Put in the work.

Win.

Look at the Spurs, did they go crying for help? No.They were in the finals, this go get more help shit has to stop. Soon enough 5 top 10 players will be playing for the same team and none will even bother to watch the regular anymore because 98 percent of the games will comprise of shitty teams.

It'll be like.****ing 60s.

AintNoSunshine
06-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Lose.

Put in the work.

Win.

Look at the Spurs, did they go crying for help? No.They were in the finals, this go get more help shit has to stop. Soon enough 5 top 10 players will be playing for the same team and none will even bother to watch the regular anymore because 98 percent of the games will comprise of shitty teams.

Exactly. I'll be highly disappointed if he jumps ship to another destination after going 2 for 3 in the last 3 years.

Though I'd be equally disappointed if Bosh and Wade opt in continue taking up 20+mil despite clearing not playing worth it.

Real14
06-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Forget dat traitor patricia riley:coleman:

SamuraiSWISH
06-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Exactly. I'll be highly disappointed if he jumps ship to another destination after going 2 for 3 in the last 3 years.
Don't sugar coat. You mean 2 for 4. The first year's failure being directly his fault, the last his team basically quitting on him.

But it doesn't help that his leadership before game 5 he passive-aggressively, and rather child like refers to the importance of the game as "being just basketball man" ... if it's not that important to him, how do you expect to rally the troops for competition?

:oldlol:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Like another poster iterated, Miami is really only a few players away from winning another title..

A defensive big (that can also rebound) and somebody that can carry Wade's weight is a good start.

Le Shaqtus
06-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Forget dat traitor patricia riley:coleman:

How is he a traitor :lol

Real14
06-19-2014, 10:03 PM
How is he a traitor :lol
he used to coach tha knicks:coleman:

AintNoSunshine
06-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Don't sugar coat. You mean 2 for 4. The first year's failure being directly his fault, the last his team basically quitting on him.

But it doesn't help that his leadership before game 5 he passive-aggressively, and rather child like refers to the importance of the game as "being just basketball man" ... if it's not that important to him, how do you expect to rally the troops for competition?

I'm doing my best ESPN impersonation. But that's also what Riley said, and I paraphrased.

Le Shaqtus
06-19-2014, 10:08 PM
he used to coach tha knicks:coleman:

Just because you accept a job doesn't make you a traitor.

Doc Rivers used to coach the Magic but he's not a traitor because he went to the Celtics and now coaches the Clippers :oldlol:

Real14
06-19-2014, 10:10 PM

Doc Rivers used to coach the Magic but he's not a traitor because he went to the Celtics and now coaches the Clippers :oldlol:
its different with new York bro, everytime he comes to tha garden he gets booed and he most definitely deserves that shit everytime:coleman:

SamuraiSWISH
06-19-2014, 10:12 PM
This is the culture summer of 2010 ushered into the NBA ...

smoovegittar
06-19-2014, 10:20 PM

He faxed his resignation in when they vetoed his request at the GM position. It was a dark day for Knick fans.

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-19-2014, 11:36 PM
:bowdown: to Riles.

Spoken like a true man who gets things done and wants real men w/ balls on his teams. Not these modern day NBA primadonna kids who are too cowardly and insecure to go through rough years.

Hell, even I'm motivated to play for the Heat.

J Shuttlesworth
06-19-2014, 11:39 PM
on one hand, I have complete respect with what Riley said, and they could really develop a huge dynasty w/ LeBron and Riley together.

On the other hand, Wade's contract could keep Miami out of contention for years, which could destroy LeBron's own legacy

AintNoSunshine
06-19-2014, 11:40 PM
:bowdown: to Riles.

Spoken like a true man who gets things done and wants real men w/ balls on his teams. Not these modern day NBA primadonna kids who are too cowardly and insecure to go through rough years.

Hell, even I'm motivated to play for the Heat.

Yeah.

Done seeing how Spurs just bounce right back from last year and redeem themselves with emphasis. James, Bosh and Wade should know what to do.

stalkerforlife
06-19-2014, 11:41 PM
"If you got the guts."

Riley calls Bron a coward in front of the whole world.

guy
06-19-2014, 11:48 PM

Though I'd be equally disappointed if Bosh and Wade opt in continue taking up 20+mil despite clearing not playing worth it.

Question, if Bosh opts in, can't the Heat just trade him for nothing to a team with cap space? Plenty of teams would take him. And with that possibility looming they could just straight up tell Bosh that beforehand so then Bosh would just opt out so he can pick his next destination. Then the Heat will have the cap space to go after Melo.

Dresta
06-20-2014, 12:00 AM

So basically it should be 3 for 4 if Bron had put in an even close to par performance in 11. Hardly something to run away from, unless you're a complete idiot that is (marlo, trollsmasher etc.). He's only got himself to blame for not threepeating really, and its far easier to threepeat if you strike out in your first finals. In fact, has ANY team (aside from 60s Celtics perhaps) ever 3-peated after making the finals in the season prior to it?

Dresta
06-20-2014, 12:02 AM
Lose.

Put in the work.

Win.

Heat did do the same thing in 2012 doe. Miami were just worn down and Spoelstra refused to change a defensive scheme that they just couldn't deal with any more.

Rameek
06-20-2014, 12:21 AM
He faxed his resignation in when they vetoed his request at the GM position. It was a dark day for Knick fans.
Riley is a piece of sh1t. That fukcing coward snuck away from the Knicks in the middle of the night. This guy has no guts and no integrity. Telling people dont walk out when he did the same thing. Oh and didnt he get Lebron to do the easy thing by walking away from the Cavs and Bosh to walk away from the Raps.

The hyprocricy is laughable all 3 showed no guts according to Riley's press conference.

I hope Wade opts in and screws them!

gts
06-20-2014, 02:13 AM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

One NBA team prez said Heat prez Pat Riley appeared nervous about keeping LeBron in his long, odd presser & more teams will make a pitch now

dude77
06-20-2014, 02:49 AM
Riley is a piece of sh1t. That fukcing coward snuck away from the Knicks in the middle of the night. This guy has no guts and no integrity. Telling people dont walk out when he did the same thing. Oh and didnt he get Lebron to do the easy thing by walking away from the Cavs and Bosh to walk away from the Raps.

The hyprocricy is laughable all 3 showed no guts according to Riley's press conference.

I hope Wade opts in and screws them!

lol just stfu .. riley left ny and then proceeded to stay with miami for 20 yrs now .. he's been very loyal ..

sometimes shit just doesn't work out with a team .. he made a move and stuck with it ..

lebron has only been in miami 4 yrs .. and this isn't a situation where miami isn't gettng him help and he hasn't been able to win .. they have all kinds of success .. they're on a 4 yr rip of finals appearances and back to back titles .. lebron is the bitch if he leaves just because suddenly he has a bit of a 'challenge' in front of him .. this team will still be a contender to get to the finals .. just a matter of tweaking and getting some other pieces ..

lequit will become even more of a joke than he already is if he jumps ship again

GimmeThat
06-20-2014, 03:56 AM
Riley is trying to sell the Heat Brand.

which, is actually not a difficult sell.

I'm surprised he hasn't emphasized more on why they lost.
Maybe he delegated that part of the job to Spo.

SpanishACB
06-20-2014, 03:59 AM
riley is telling people like you OP to get a gripe

i'm paraphrasing here: stop making shit threads

305Baller
06-20-2014, 06:02 AM
RILEY GOAT GM/PRESIDENT

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lga79iMOyk1qg4ayxo1_400.gif

AintNoSunshine
06-20-2014, 08:31 AM
riley is telling people like you OP to get a gripe

i'm paraphrasing here: stop making shit threads

:facepalm I got a grip of your mom's tit in one hand and your balls in another, son.

AcquiringSteak
06-20-2014, 09:59 AM
get rid of wade, hes friggin useless, misses games during regular season to be healthy

doesnt make difference in finals

dc_chilling
06-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Lol Riley doesn't **** around.

This was the least convincing sales pitch directed at a player since Kobe told Dwight to stay in L.A so he could teach him how to become a winner.

If Miami wants to return to form, Arison is going to need to spend some money. He got rid of Mike Miller and refused to make upgrades because he didn't want to spend too much. If the superstars are taking less to compete for a championship, the owner should do his part as well. They aren't taking less so Micky can save more.

Derka
06-20-2014, 10:20 AM
He's right that people really need to get a grip. Thanks to The Decision, free agency is now this massive attention getter in the basketball world and the media is going to trip over itself to cite "sources" that tell them all kinds of insane things just to drum up readers and get everyone worked up.

DWIGHT RECRUITING LEBRON AND MELO TO HOUSTON! LEBRON RECRUITING MELO TO MIAMI! Sources say LEBRON RETURNING TO CLEVELAND! RONDO RECRUITING LOVE!

Blah-f*cking-Blah. People just willing to believe anything someone puts in a Twitter feed nowadays. Broussard making shit up, Windhorst pretending like he's got the inside track on the step-by-step thinking process Lebron will go through, etc. etc. etc. Its ridiculous and I think that's what Riley was getting at with that one.

All that "run out the first door" stuff though? Dude's a total hypocrite on that one :oldlol:

Chrono90
06-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Agree with Riley on this one. Heats went to the finals 4 times in a row and won twice. That's pretty successful. No need to shake and dismantle the team. Play it through and see what happens.

Unless James thinks Wade is done and doesn't have much game left, then it's time to get out cause it's not a good scenario in the long run.

Fork
06-20-2014, 11:15 AM
James just needs to leave while he can. He'll be known as a journeyman, but oh well.

riseagainst
06-20-2014, 11:16 AM
this is why riley is a legend. He tells it like it is. He, and everyone else, know that lebron is a coward, and he's not afraid to speak up. So he's daring lebron to stay and fight against adversity to win, instead of taking shortcuts, like all the other all time greats in NBA history.

AintNoSunshine
06-20-2014, 11:18 AM
this is why riley is a legend. He tells it like it is. He, and everyone else, know that lebron is a coward, and he's not afraid to speak up. So he's daring lebron to stay and fight against adversity to win, instead of taking shortcuts, like all the other all time greats in NBA history.

06-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Didn't Riley quit on the Knicks? He resigned after 1995. That's what it felt when he left.