PDA

View Full Version : How underrated is Ginobili athletically?

tgan3
06-19-2014, 11:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwL8OWhEsts

38 yos should'nt be doing that.

JimmyMcAdocious
06-19-2014, 11:44 PM
Well if you consider athleticism to be more than jumping high (which he was a good leaper back in the day, anyway), pretty damn underrated. He has amazing body control and agility. Even to this day.

Akrazotile
06-19-2014, 11:47 PM
I don't think anyone has ever underrated Ginobili in this regard.

You must be assuming they do because he is white. :confusedshrug:

ZMonkey11
06-19-2014, 11:49 PM
I'll go ahead and say I didn't think he could do that in traffic anymore. I was dead wrong and running around the living room.

TMT
06-19-2014, 11:52 PM
He's 36. But yeah, the guy's athleticism sure did stay with him way longer than it should have.

DCL
06-20-2014, 12:02 AM
prime ginobili was dunking in traffic on a regular basis.

but almost 37 year old ginobili still throwing down in people's faces? just ask chris bosh how does that taste.

DCL
06-20-2014, 12:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5kzJuBPmN4

BigMacAttack
06-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Everything bout Ginobli is underrated.

jstern
06-20-2014, 12:45 AM
Not as underrated as it will be 15 years from now by future generations saying that this era sucked. They'll look at that clip and not think anything of the dunk, just use it as proof that the defenders were so bad that a 36 year old, bald white guy can dunk on them.

bizil
06-20-2014, 01:07 AM
The three things that stood out to me about peak Ginobli were his versatility on both sides of the ball (could play and defend PG, SG, and SF), that epic Eurostep, and his athletic ability. His athletic ability wasn't underrated at all. Among the Golden Era of SG's, his abilities were never questioned and he was usually rated in the top 7-8 SG's in the L during that time. As the Golden Era began to wind down, he was in the top 5 SG's in the L for some years. GOAT or peak value wise, I don't have Manu in the top ten SG's ever. But skill for skill and versatility wise, I think Manu is a top 10 SG of all time:

MJ
Kobe
West
Wade
T-Mac
Drexler

After these guys, I think Manu has as good of case as any SG to be on this list. I'm not saying he's better than guys like Vince, Thompson, Pistol Pete, AI, Ray Ray, or Monroe. But in terms of all around play AND versatility as a package, Manu is a top 10 SG of all time in that sense. He didn't have any holes in his game. His total scoring skillset was sick too. The only thing was he wasn't as dominant as the other HOF caliber Golden Era SG's. To think Manu will join Kobe, Wade, AI, Ray, Vince, and possibly T-Mac in the HOF shows why that Golden Era of SG's was epic!

dubeta
06-20-2014, 01:22 AM
Athleticism decline in the NBA is overrated

People dont decline athletically as quick as fans think, heck Vince can still do a 360, and MJ can still dunk easily at 50

The reason why people stop doing things like this in their 30's is because they want to conserve energy, and minimize risk on injury

But in terms of athletic decline its not that noticable

Therefore not really that impressed tbh

TheBigVeto
06-20-2014, 03:04 AM
Everything bout Ginobli is underrated.

This. He's the 2nd GOAT SG and the lack of respect is astounding.

Rodmantheman
06-20-2014, 03:06 AM
This. He's the 2nd GOAT SG and the lack of respect is astounding.

:biggums: Kobe

SpanishACB
06-20-2014, 03:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5kzJuBPmN4

dunking on the whole lakers team :bowdown:

bizil
06-20-2014, 03:49 AM

People dont decline athletically as quick as fans think, heck Vince can still do a 360, and MJ can still dunk easily at 50

The reason why people stop doing things like this in their 30's is because they want to conserve energy, and minimize risk on injury

I agree 100%. Its about conserving energy, lowering injury risk, and even the non-injury kind of aches and pains.

SHAQisGOAT
06-20-2014, 09:48 AM
I think he's always been an underrated athlete.

Not as underrated as it will be 15 years from now by future generations saying that this era sucked. They'll look at that clip and not think anything of the dunk, just use it as proof that the defenders were so bad that a 36 year old, bald white guy can dunk on them.

:oldlol: :applause:

kshutts1
06-20-2014, 09:56 AM

You are clearly 25 or younger.

dc_chilling
06-20-2014, 10:21 AM
The three things that stood out to me about peak Ginobli were his versatility on both sides of the ball (could play and defend PG, SG, and SF), that epic Eurostep, and his athletic ability. His athletic ability wasn't underrated at all. Among the Golden Era of SG's, his abilities were never questioned and he was usually rated in the top 7-8 SG's in the L during that time. As the Golden Era began to wind down, he was in the top 5 SG's in the L for some years. GOAT or peak value wise, I don't have Manu in the top ten SG's ever. But skill for skill and versatility wise, I think Manu is a top 10 SG of all time:

MJ
Kobe
West
Wade
T-Mac
Drexler

After these guys, I think Manu has as good of case as any SG to be on this list. I'm not saying he's better than guys like Vince, Thompson, Pistol Pete, AI, Ray Ray, or Monroe. But in terms of all around play AND versatility as a package, Manu is a top 10 SG of all time in that sense. He didn't have any holes in his game. His total scoring skillset was sick too. The only thing was he wasn't as dominant as the other HOF caliber Golden Era SG's. To think Manu will join Wade, AI, Ray, Vince, and possibly T-Mac in the HOF shows why that Golden Era of SG's was epic!

I'd rank Manu above T-Mac to be honest. T-Mac absolutely was the better player at his peak, but that peak was short and injury riddled. Compound that with the fact that he never made it out of the first round in his peak and to me, he is only borderline HOF to be honest.

I mean, of his 8 good years, he missed 10 more more games 4 times. He shot 43% or less 5 times.

I hate saying that because T-Mac was one of my favorite players and one of the craziest talents I have ever seen.

kshutts1
06-20-2014, 10:25 AM
I'd rank Manu above T-Mac to be honest. T-Mac absolutely was the better player at his peak, but that peak was short and injury riddled. Compound that with the fact that he never made it out of the first round in his peak and to me, he is only borderline HOF to be honest.

I mean, of his 8 good years, he missed 10 more more games 4 times. He shot 43% or less 5 times.

I hate saying that because T-Mac was one of my favorite players and one of the craziest talents I have ever seen.
Then don't say that. Because it's wrong. TMac was so much better than Manu that it offsets his lack of availability. Manu was great, still is very good, but TMac was transcendent for a 3-7 year span.

bizil
06-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Then don't say that. Because it's wrong. TMac was so much better than Manu that it offsets his lack of availability. Manu was great, still is very good, but TMac was transcendent for a 3-7 year span.

I agree with u! I have T-Mac peak value wise as arguably a top 3 SG of all time along with MJ, Kobe, and Wade. Between Mac and Wade, I'm not sure who I would prefer peak wise, but T-Mac's size and versatility may give him the edge. T-Mac also redefined the SG spot. There was never an SG nearly 6'9 with T-Mac's package of size, versatility, athletic ability, and scoring skillset. He was like a mix of a Penny Hardaway and George Gervin.

KevinNYC
06-21-2014, 01:25 AM
Ginobili was one the best finishers at the rim ever, unbelievably agile. He also had those super long strides that let him get past people, but still with enough power to elevate and finish at the rim. One of the all-time greats in terms of body control.

Here's a nice mix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LTgStJw9ao

A bit off topic, but who gets credit for the recent Euro-step craze. When did that enter the NBA.

thefatmiral
06-21-2014, 07:11 AM
didnt think he could still do that. cool when an old school cat has a throwback to their prime moments.

Breezy
06-21-2014, 07:45 AM
I need a unit of measurement for underratedness to work with before I can accurately answer your question.

Because right now His underratedness is roughly 3.5 former vice president Sprio Agnew's of magnitude. Or roughly the rating of Clubber Lang the first time he fought Balboa.

I hope that clears things up.

fandarko
06-21-2014, 08:26 AM
I agree with u! I have T-Mac peak value wise as arguably a top 3 SG of all time along with MJ, Kobe, and Wade. Between Mac and Wade, I'm not sure who I would prefer peak wise, but T-Mac's size and versatility may give him the edge. T-Mac also redefined the SG spot. There was never an SG nearly 6'9 with T-Mac's package of size, versatility, athletic ability, and scoring skillset. He was like a mix of a Penny Hardaway and George Gervin.

You clearly haven't watched Drexler in his prime. Only an inch or two shorter.

An argument could be made that T-Mac's prime was a tad better. But peak Drexler was the guy you're referring to.

La Frescobaldi
06-21-2014, 09:26 AM

Watch Wade at 24 then watch him in this last season at 32. There's not even a comparison he's fallen off so bad. Because from day 1 he relied on athleticism more than skill. Dwight Howard is only another classic example of those fading stars who didn't bother polishing their game.
And now they look so bad because they relied too much on an elite body...

Meanwhile guys like Ginobili & Kobe were constantly refining and expanding their skills so when their athleticism faded they didn't look like a stupid old athlete desperately trying to hang on to yesteryear.

bizil
06-21-2014, 03:00 PM

An argument could be made that T-Mac's prime was a tad better. But peak Drexler was the guy you're referring to.

What do u mean I haven't watched peak Drexler? Drexler and MJ TOGETHER redefined the SG position. They virtually did it at the same time. THEN OVER 10 YEARS LATER, T-Mac redefined the SG position as well. There was NEVER a SG close to 6'9 with T-Mac's blend of size, versatility, scoring skillset, passing, and handles. T-Mac used the three ball as a weapon much more than Drexler or MJ. I stand by my statment. Clyde and MJ revolutionized the SG spot in the mid 80's. And T-Mac was the guy who redefined it 15 years later. AI also redefined the SG spot as well for small SG's. The guys who redefined the SG spot the most to me were West, Monroe, Maravich, Thompson, Gervin, MJ, Drexler, T-Mac, and Iverson. As great as guys like Kobe, Vince, Ray Ray, Wade, etc. were, they weren't as revolutionary as T-Mac and AI were in that Golden Era of SG's.

bizil
06-21-2014, 03:21 PM

And Drexler had the longer PRIME and thus the better prime. Drexler's game never had a steep decline at all. And he retained SICK ATHLETIC ABILITY into his mid 30's. However, T-Mac's PEAK I would take over Drexler's peak. Peak and prime are two different criteria. Peak wise, the top SG's to me are MJ, Kobe, Wade, T-Mac, West, Drexler, Gervin, AI, Vince, Thompson, and Maravich.