PDA

View Full Version : Drafting Jabari Parker is obviously what Cleveland should do...

russwest0
06-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Will they do it?

Take Your Lumps
06-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Wonder if this has legs:
https://twitter.com/Probballdraft/status/479762461696860160

Hearing the Cavs and Jazz have discussed a swap of picks. Jazz would move up to take Parker and Cavs would likely get Favors and 5.

russwest0
06-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Wonder if this has legs:

I'm going to laugh my ****ing ass off if this happens.

Two franchise small forwards in this draft (though I view Wiggins as a SG) and Cleveland is like "lol nope, LelBrons gonna come back guys!"

And then LeBron is going to go to the Clippers or some shit and Cleveland is gonna remain irrelevant while Parker wins ROTY. :oldlol:

All Net
06-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Parker is more ready but Wiggins has more talent defensively. Depends what the main needs are.

russwest0
06-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Parker is more ready but Wiggins has more talent defensively. Depends what the main needs are.

You draft the better player, period. And thats Parker.

NattyPButter
06-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Would be pissed if they did that crap. Should be able to trade players to get him.

beastee
06-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Wonder if this has legs:

That actually isnt bad. Favors is very solid and you can still get a great talent at #5. I doubt Exum is left here, but what if Embiid slipped to 5.
Favors, Embiid, Kyrie, Waiters and Bennett is very solid.
Remove Bennett and slot in Lebron and that is one tough team.

But it's the Cavs...so nothing will work out in the end.

All Net
06-20-2014, 09:43 AM
You draft the better player, period. And thats Parker.
Is he? That's highly debatable

1~Gibson~1
06-20-2014, 09:52 AM
Trading for #5 and Favors is just smokescreen. Theres no one at 5 that we'd take. Our team us already filled at PF and PG/SG.

We own the #1 pick and have a huge hole at SF. If we go in any other direction our FO is literally fu***** stupid.

Andrew Wiggins is at the top of iur board anyway, not Parker. But that could change to over thr next few days.

BoutPractice
06-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Another thing they could to is trade down and force someone else to make the tough decision.

allball
06-20-2014, 09:56 AM
I'm a bigger Wiggins fan but Parker is the right choice IMO.

Take Your Lumps
06-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Trading for #5 and Favors is just smokescreen. Theres no one at 5 that we'd take. Our team us already filled at PF and PG/SG.

We own the #1 pick and have a huge hole at SF. If we go in any other direction our FO is literally fu***** stupid.

Andrew Wiggins is at the top of iur board anyway, not Parker. But that could change to over thr next few days.

I figured they'd take Embiid @ #5 if they still really liked him and knew that other teams were going to pass.

dc_chilling
06-20-2014, 10:03 AM
They should draft Wiggins and hope that they can entice Lebron to come back.

Wiggins could be a Scottie Pippen type defender.

Rubio2Gasol
06-20-2014, 10:08 AM

Smokescreen for what?

You have the #1 pick :coleman:

1~Gibson~1
06-20-2014, 10:11 AM
I figured they'd take Embiid @ #5 if they still really liked him and knew that other teams were going to pass.
Uhh no. He's off our board as of now. He's too risky of a pick at #1 but could be a steal if he goes to another team in the lottery.

1~Gibson~1
06-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Smokescreen for what?

You have the #1 pick :coleman:
Basically just not revealing what we're going to do until the last minute. There are multiple rumors plus the fact that we could just draft Parker or Wiggins straight up.

I dont think we're SERIOUSLY considering any of these rumors. Just keeping the buzz alive to keep the league guessing.

russwest0
06-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Basically just not revealing what we're going to do until the last minute. There are multiple rumors plus the fact that we could just draft Parker or Wiggins straight up.

I dont think we're SERIOUSLY considering any of these rumors. Just keeping the buzz alive to keep the league guessing.

trade rumors happen with the first and second pick every year but they pretty much never get traded. there were rumors that okc was going to trade up with the magic and draft oladipo last year.

it would just be funny if cleveloland did it in this years draft.

BoutPractice
06-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Funny thing is, Tim Duncan tore the lateral meniscus in his right knee in 2000 and needed surgery. Imagine if he'd had an injury like that a few days before the 1997 draft.

Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond have both had a history of injury.

Blake Griffin missed his entire rookie season with a knee injury, and no one knows what's going to happen to Nerlens Noel next season.

GimmeThat
06-20-2014, 10:28 AM
how many star players are currently looking to be traded?

how many teams are interested in the #1 pick still now after learning about the Embiid news?

BoutPractice
06-20-2014, 10:47 AM
This year is a perfect example of the difference between draft expectations and reality.

Ultimately right now all teams really just want one player, LeBron. When it's time for that "decision" it'll be Durant, then maybe, just maybe Anthony Davis, but that's about it.

It's all good if you get a Kevin Love or Carmelo Anthony on your team, that can turn a team in the right direction, but very few players in the league are true "championship prizes" or with the potential to be. Joel Embiids don't grow on trees. Of course there was Greg Oden - but let's not act like it wasn't a completely rational decision to make at the time. 2007 was a special case because the two best players had that potential.

So the issue is, do you think that one of Wiggins, Parker and Exum is "championship prize" material (the "Durant" of this draft?), or are they "just" going to be good all-stars? Because teams with good all-stars win 30 games or get bounced out of the first round pretty often.

Your average all-star is actually fairly replaceable, there are many of them each year after all... If you trade for an all-star there's no guarantee that'll completely change where you are as a team. And if you have to draft them and develop them first, it's even worse... That's why most teams don't win championships. And that's why the team that's lucky enough to have Tim Duncan or LeBron James on it does.

So if there's just a decent chance of getting your hands on that one player who can actually change everything, you should normally take it... unless it's virtually certain that their bodies are not going to hold up.

Sure, it's not going to look pretty for the Cavaliers when Marcus Smart or whoever wins rookie of the year while Embiid is wearing his nicest suit and Anthony Bennett continues to be terrible.

But neither did it look pretty for the Clippers when Tyreke Evans was collecting triple doubles and that undersized injured PF they'd just drafted with their first overall pick was sitting on the bench. And look where the Sacramento Kings are now...

russwest0
06-20-2014, 10:51 AM
yeah I hear what you are saying on big men.

It's just tough because the league keeps going in a direction that devalues them more and more. pair that with serious injury concerns and it'd be hard as hell for me to take Embiid in the top 3.

BoutPractice
06-20-2014, 10:57 AM
It's not just bigmen though, unless you consider LeBron or KD to belong to that category. It's just players with enough potential to make you think "ok, I could build a contender around that guy" (hoping you can keep them too, which for most franchises is difficult). And most good NBA all-stars (so we're already talking about the elite of the elite) don't fit that bill. I like Kyrie Irving, find him very entertaining to watch but if he's leading your team you're not getting that ring anytime soon.

Maybe Wiggins is that guy. Maybe there just isn't anyone of that caliber in this year's loaded draft, just many decent stars (and maybe that means certain teams would do better to focus on the great role players, the Kawhi Leonards, Shawn Marions and Lamar Odoms hiding in there).

hawksdogsbraves
06-20-2014, 11:35 AM
This year is a perfect example of the difference between draft expectations and reality.

Ultimately right now all teams really just want one player, LeBron. When it's time for that "decision" it'll be Durant, then maybe, just maybe Anthony Davis, but that's about it.

It's all good if you get a Kevin Love or Carmelo Anthony on your team, that can turn a team in the right direction, but very few players in the league are true "championship prizes" or with the potential to be. Joel Embiids don't grow on trees. Of course there was Greg Oden - but let's not act like it wasn't a completely rational decision to make at the time. 2007 was a special case because the two best players had that potential.

So the issue is, do you think that one of Wiggins, Parker and Exum is "championship prize" material (the "Durant" of this draft?), or are they "just" going to be good all-stars? Because teams with good all-stars win 30 games or get bounced out of the first round pretty often.

Your average all-star is actually fairly replaceable, there are many of them each year after all... If you trade for an all-star there's no guarantee that'll completely change where you are as a team. And if you have to draft them and develop them first, it's even worse... That's why most teams don't win championships. And that's why the team that's lucky enough to have Tim Duncan or LeBron James on it does.

So if there's just a decent chance of getting your hands on that one player who can actually change everything, you should normally take it... unless it's virtually certain that their bodies are not going to hold up.

Sure, it's not going to look pretty for the Cavaliers when Marcus Smart or whoever wins rookie of the year while Embiid is wearing his nicest suit and Anthony Bennett continues to be terrible.

But neither did it look pretty for the Clippers when Tyreke Evans was collecting triple doubles and that undersized injured PF they'd just drafted with their first overall pick was sitting on the bench. And look where the Sacramento Kings are now...

I think that's a really good point actually.

But I just feel like the Cavs are in such a good position with some cap room and all the young talent they've accumulated over the past few years that adding an 'all-star' caliber wing, (Wiggins or Parker) is more worth it than than rolling the dice on a 'superstar' caliber big with the injury red flags.

I would assume the Cavs are going all in on the playoffs next year, they kind of did last year already. No more draft lotteries, no more number one picks. If they whiff with 2 in a row though, the team is boned. They aren't getting a superstar FA, they have to nail this pick and build the core a la OKC.

It's really up to their doctors, but I think the risk is just too high when a guy who has hardly put ANY mileage on his body is already having back and foot problems, (two HUGE red flags for bigs). The kid is going to have to play 80 game+ seasons in the league soon, can he hold up?