lilteapot
06-20-2014, 11:06 PM
1st year- lockout year only 50 games

no repeat title wins at all in franchise history

lol @ them being a dynasty:roll:

EDIT: 2007 is also an asterisk because beating that cavs team shouldnt count

ProfessorMurder
06-20-2014, 11:08 PM
If lockouts don't count, Heat never repeated.

lilteapot
06-20-2014, 11:09 PM

if everyone here wants to use that logic against the Heat, then we should use it for every team

Bodhi
06-20-2014, 11:09 PM

The 99 lockout was very different from the 12 lockout in terms of games played and player performance

J Shuttlesworth
06-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Why would a lockout season not count? Do teams try less in the playoffs because the season was shorter?

Foster5k
06-20-2014, 11:10 PM
With that logic, you shouldn't exist because your mom was drunk when she banged your father.

Luckily for you, your logic is flawed. :D

moe94
06-20-2014, 11:11 PM
Why would a lockout season not count? Do teams try less in the playoffs because the season was shorter?

No, the winning team was inherently at an advantage because they won!

lilteapot
06-20-2014, 11:11 PM
With that logic, you shouldn't exist because your mom was drunk when she banged your father.

Luckily for you, your logic is flawed. :D
what a failed attempt at an insult.

try again man. that didn't even make sense

Foster5k
06-20-2014, 11:14 PM
what a failed attempt at an insult.

try again man. that didn't even make sense
It shouldn't make sense to the logically impaired.

moe94
06-20-2014, 11:15 PM

It didn't really make sense. :coleman:

lilteapot
06-20-2014, 11:15 PM
how is my mom supposedly being drunk analogous to a shortened NBA season?

SupermanOnSteroids
06-20-2014, 11:19 PM
how is my mom supposedly being drunk analogous to a shortened NBA season?
well you can guess where nba players were spending their free time.

moe94
06-20-2014, 11:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JZqsu.gif

holy shit

lilteapot
06-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Well, at least this one made sense.

SupermanOnSteroids
06-20-2014, 11:21 PM
sorry dude

lilteapot
06-20-2014, 11:22 PM
sorry dude
too late. damage has been done

Beastmode88
06-20-2014, 11:25 PM
back fired thread :facepalm

lilteapot
06-20-2014, 11:26 PM
back fired thread :facepalm
how does it feel to know you are one of the dumbest users here?

Legends66NBA7
06-20-2014, 11:26 PM
I would gladly wish my own team has the Spurs franchise accomplishments in that time span. It's the best in the league since Duncan become a Spur.

Spurs history and accolades is arguably greater than 90% of the entire league.

DMV2
06-20-2014, 11:27 PM
If lockout year doesn't count, then I guess all championships that didn't have at least 4 rounds of playoffs don't count either.

Actually, make all championships before pre-7-games 1st Round series(before 2004) not count while we're at it.

:rolleyes:

lilteapot
06-20-2014, 11:28 PM
If lockout year doesn't count, then I guess all championships that didn't have at least 4 rounds of playoffs don't count either.

Actually, make all championships before pre-7-games 1st Round series not count while we're at it.

:rolleyes:
you clearly didn't get the point of my thread

then again you probably make Lebron puns

Beastmode88
06-20-2014, 11:40 PM
how does it feel to know you are one of the dumbest users here?

trying to find a way to discredit the spurs? lol all their championship don't count and should be discredited because of lockout and beating bran when he has 0 supporting cast? stop posting.

ProfessorMurder
06-20-2014, 11:41 PM
if everyone here wants to use that logic against the Heat, then we should use it for every team

You were the one that just used it against the Spurs.

ScolaFan
06-20-2014, 11:43 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

What a maroon... (OP that is)

:biggums:

fpliii
06-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Hi robert_shaww.

lilteapot
06-20-2014, 11:49 PM
You were the one that just used it against the Spurs.
just pointing out double standards.

Beastmode88
06-20-2014, 11:53 PM
just pointing out double standards.

so according to your logic tim duncan only deserves 2 rings since he won in a lockout year and for beating down bran twice?

MadeFromDust
06-21-2014, 01:21 AM
April 2014

'nuff sed :rolleyes:

Milbuck
06-21-2014, 01:30 AM
They had a shaky start to the season...but when they got it together, they ended the season on a 31-5 run, that's a 71 win pace.

In the playoffs they lost twice. One game away from sweeping the entire Western conference (including the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and the Jailblazers, two very good teams), and another game away from sweeping the entire playoffs.

That team was incredible.

TheMarkMadsen
06-21-2014, 01:56 AM
They had a shaky start to the season...but when they got it together, they ended the season on a 31-5 run, that's a 71 win pace.

In the playoffs they lost twice. One game away from sweeping the entire Western conference (including the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and the Jailblazers, two very good teams), and another game away from sweeping the entire playoffs.

99 definitely has an *

"On pace" is nice and all but it doesn't take in to account the grind of an 82 game season.

The 3peat bulls aka the defending champions broke up partially because of the lock out, Phil Jackson left specifically because of the lock out.

Also, the condensed schedule was a killer to the older veteran teams that were title favorites coming into the season like the Jazz as they were forced to play b2b2bs.

The 8th seeded Knicks made the finals, and on top of that Ewing was injured and missed the finals all together..

So all of that combined with the fact that it was a shortened season and was unlike any we've seen before it most definitely has an *.

If the lakers won in 99 & 4peated everybody including myself would be forced to mention that the 99 season of the 4peat was a lockout year, and it wouldn't be remembered as truly being a 4peat.

Legends66NBA7
06-21-2014, 02:07 AM

50 games or 82 games, I wouldn't bet on anybody trying to beat them either that year.

Miami with Alonzo wouldn't have beaten them the twin towers even if Houston's shot doesn't go down. Orlando choked to Philly, wouldn't have contained them. Hawks are the Hawks, pretenders. Pistons and Bucks were too young.

Out West, the only team that could have beaten them were the Jazz. Infact, many pegged them to win the title because the Bulls weren't in the way this time. Malone and Stockton both choked a lot in those playoffs. Houston was over the hill. Lakers had the talent, but didn't have the right coaching. Kings and Suns were too young.

TheMarkMadsen
06-21-2014, 02:21 AM
50 games or 82 games, I wouldn't bet on anybody trying to beat them either that year.

Miami with Alonzo wouldn't have beaten them the twin towers even if Houston's shot doesn't go down. Orlando choked to Philly, wouldn't have contained them. Hawks are the Hawks, pretenders. Pistons and Bucks were too young.

Out West, the only team that could have beaten them were the Jazz. Infact, many pegged them to win the title because the Bulls weren't in the way this time. Malone and Stockton both choked a lot in those playoffs. Houston was over the hill. Lakers had the talent, but didn't have the right coaching. Kings and Suns were too young.

99 bulls had Jordan & P Jax hadn't left due to the lockout

T_L_P
06-21-2014, 02:27 AM
Eh, the teams had an equal playing ground. The Spurs had maybe two guys under 30 who played rotation minutes (Duncan and Antonio Daniels, who only got 10 MPG), the rest were all over the hill and near retirement. I don't see why the Spurs had it easier than anyone else.

That, to me, is what an asterisk is; one team having an advantage over the others.

TheMarkMadsen
06-21-2014, 02:33 AM
Eh, the teams had an equal playing ground. The Spurs had maybe two guys under 30 who played rotation minutes (Duncan and Antonio Daniels, who only got 10 MPG), the rest were all over the hill and near retirement. I don't see why the Spurs had it easier than anyone else.

That, to me, is what an asterisk is; one team having an advantage over the others.

way to just totally disregard Robinson whose impact was almost equal if not equal to Ducans in 99

TheMarkMadsen
06-21-2014, 02:35 AM
Bill Simmons, who spurs fans seem to be praising lately has this to say about the 99 season

This was the excruciating lockout season, when the overmatched player's union -- led by Billy Hunter and Patrick Ewing, who shouldn't have been trusted to handle a bake sale at an elementary school, much less a labor dispute -- had their ensalada tossed by David Stern (at the apex of his power) and limped back to work in early February, followed by a rushed 50-game season in which too many players changed teams and nearly everyone was out of shape, leading to nagging injuries, shoddy basketball and an absolutely hateful season on every level. The rushed playoffs were such a joke that the eighth-seeded Knicks ended up making the Finals before getting trounced by the Spurs...

T_L_P
06-21-2014, 02:35 AM
way to just totally disregard Robinson whose impact was almost equal if not equal to Ducans in 99

What do you mean? Robinson was still a beast, but he was 33 years old, somewhat broken down, and past his prime.

Isn't that why you said it was tough for Utah, because they were old? The Spurs were probably even older. :confusedshrug:

MadeFromDust
06-21-2014, 02:36 AM
The old LA Lamers and Baston Celts have an * on all their trophies then bcuz they didn't play 82-game regular seasons. :rolleyes:

TheMarkMadsen
06-21-2014, 02:40 AM
What do you mean? Robinson was still a beast, but he was 33 years old, somewhat broken down, and past his prime.

Isn't that why you said it was tough for Utah, because they were old? The Spurs were probably even older. :confusedshrug:

You acted like the Spurs had no help and were facing a better team, you didn't even mention Robinson who had a per of 23 to Duncan's 25 (Duncan fans love per)

They were facing the 8th seed Knicks w/o Patrick Ewing..

T_L_P
06-21-2014, 02:44 AM
You acted like the Spurs had no help and were facing a better team, you didn't even mention Robinson who had a per of 23 to Duncan's 25 (Duncan fans love per)

They were facing the 8th seed Knicks w/o Patrick Ewing..

I'm not getting your point. You said the Spurs had it easier than the Jazz because the Jazz were old and the condensed chedule was tiring. I was saying aside from Duncan, the Spurs were a bunch of vets (yes, even though D. Rob was great he was still a vet).

They had no particular advantage over any other team. That's why I don't class it as an asterisk. Does it hurt Kobe's or Shaq's legacy that they couldn't win in an easier season? Of course not...so why should it for the eventual champions -- the championships that ran through the league?

Legends66NBA7
06-21-2014, 02:49 AM
Anyone remember 99 first round of the Jazz vs Kings ? That game 5 was priceless and almost fitting for those Jazz teams of that era. Malone and Stockton literally choked and were saved by their teammates.

TheMarkMadsen
06-21-2014, 03:10 AM
I'm not getting your point. You said the Spurs had it easier than the Jazz because the Jazz were old and the condensed chedule was tiring. I was saying aside from Duncan, the Spurs were a bunch of vets (yes, even though D. Rob was great he was still a vet).

They had no particular advantage over any other team. That's why I don't class it as an asterisk. Does it hurt Kobe's or Shaq's legacy that they couldn't win in an easier season? Of course not...so why should it for the eventual champions -- the championships that ran through the league?

The spurs had a combo of D rob & Duncan

Utah Malone & Stockton

Can you guess which duo would do better with the condensed schedule considering each players age at the time?

Not only that, but the lock out led to the 3 peat champion bulls to lose their coach and not have a chance to defend the title

Leroy Jetson
06-21-2014, 03:13 AM
Might as well just cancel the season then right, that's what any basketball fan would want.:facepalm

T_L_P
06-21-2014, 03:15 AM

Utah Malone & Stockton

Can you guess which duo would do better with the condensed schedule considering each players age at the time?

Not only that, but the lock out led to the 3 peat champion bulls to lose their coach and not have a chance to defend the title

You have a better case for the Bulls thing than the Jazz. The Spurs had one guy under 30 on their rotation (two if you count Antonio Daniels' 10 MPG). Half the Jazz's squad were under the 30.

The Spurs were the older team. Their franchise player was younger than Malone or Stockton, but basketball goes deeper than two guys -- and the two of them are supposed to have unmatched longevity. The Spurs didn't benefit from the lockout more than anyone else. That's why it is not an asterisk.

06-21-2014, 03:19 AM
Lakers title in 2002 doesn't count either. Referee conspiracy.

Legends66NBA7
06-21-2014, 03:24 AM

Utah Malone & Stockton

The Jazz choked. Almost choked in the first round too. It wasn't the first time either. Besides, most NBA analysts pegged them to win the NBA title that year because the Bulls were done.

Also, the Bulls would have been the oldest team in the league if they kept their core together.

Could they have defended that title with the condensed schedule considering each players age at the time ? Infact, they would be attempting to make a 4th straight finals too. Certainly would have had more mileage on their legs compared to any other team taking into account the whole decade.

gts
06-21-2014, 03:29 AM
The old LA Lamers and Baston Celts have an * on all their trophies then bcuz they didn't play 82-game regular seasons. :rolleyes:
in all fairness the difference between 80 games and 82 isn't anywhere near the leap that 50 and 82 is..

that being said I never understood the asterisk comment by Jackson.. always came off as Phil more butthurt about something than anything legitimate

GimmeThat
06-21-2014, 03:53 AM
Phil Jackson knows how to play against Tim Duncan/Spurs

in which, the playoff has never been about beating every single team in the league, but the teams that you face on your path to winning a championship.

are there any titles that's even legitimate?

I'm talking to you, college football.

To4
06-21-2014, 03:58 AM
Hell.. Most of the NBA teams would want the track record of the Spurs even without a back to back championship..

Anaximandro1
06-21-2014, 06:50 AM
the condensed schedule was a killer to the older veteran teams that were title favorites coming into the season like the Jazz as they were forced to play b2b2bs.

PER -> per-minute rating of a player's performance.

Robinson was old and saw limited minutes ... Duncan was forced to play 43 mpg during the playoffs.

Spurs were an old team (Robinson 33, Avery 33, Elie 35, Kersey 36, Kerr 33, Perdue 33, Jackson 31, Elliot 30) while the Lakers were a young team.

Las Vegas - Favorites to win 1999 NBA title (Feb 6, 1999)
(http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1999-02-06/sports/9902060234_1_scott-magic-outlaw)
The favorites are the Utah Jazz and Indiana Pacers at 7-2. The Lakers are at 3-1, followed by the New York Knicks and San Antonio Spurs at 5-1, and the Houston Rockets at 6-1.

Lakers were heavily favored to win the NBA title.

They had beaten SAS in five of the last six meetings, won their regular-season series with the Spurs 2-1.

Funnily enough, the Lakers got embarrassed by the Spurs in the playoffs.

99 definitely has an *

2000 Timmy missed the playoffs with a knee injury -> SAS had no chance to defend the title

2002 The mother of all asterisks

2009 KG missed the playoff with a knee injury -> Celtics had no chance to defend the title

Lakers' recent history has three or four asterisks (Pau Gasol trade in 2008)

Gregg Popovich (February 10, 2008)
(http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/gregg-popovich-rips-pau-gasol-trade)[QUOTE]Gregg Popovich Rips Pau Gasol Trade

BoutPractice
06-21-2014, 06:54 AM
I genuinely think the problem is that people can't "process" the Spurs being that good, so they have to invent excuses and asterisks...

bukowski81
06-21-2014, 07:00 AM
99 definitely has an *

"On pace" is nice and all but it doesn't take in to account the grind of an 82 game season.

The 3peat bulls aka the defending champions broke up partially because of the lock out, Phil Jackson left specifically because of the lock out.

Also, the condensed schedule was a killer to the older veteran teams that were title favorites coming into the season like the Jazz as they were forced to play b2b2bs.

The 8th seeded Knicks made the finals, and on top of that Ewing was injured and missed the finals all together..

So all of that combined with the fact that it was a shortened season and was unlike any we've seen before it most definitely has an *.

If the lakers won in 99 & 4peated everybody including myself would be forced to mention that the 99 season of the 4peat was a lockout year, and it wouldn't be remembered as truly being a 4peat.

Lol at a Lakers fan trying to say a championship has an asterisk.

K Xerxes
06-21-2014, 07:07 AM
All teams play under similar conditions in a knock out season, so I've still not seen a reasonable argument as to why the winners should be asterisked. The Spurs were just better prepared. If you argue that the condensed schedule hurt older teams, then what really is the difference between putting an asterisk on that and, say, another title where a contender had a major injury... say like Duncan in 2000 or Garnett in 2009. It's just picking and choosing, and we can do that for all championships.

Ne 1
06-21-2014, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that it doesn't count or completely omit it, but the fact of the matter is that it isn't the same accomplishment as winning in a full season. Any team, including my Lakers, if they won that that year wouldn't be the same accomplishment. Also, I'm not saying the Spurs couldn't have won it had the season been played without the lockout. What I'm is saying is that the 1999 title that the Spurs won is a DIFFRENT accomplishment than winning a full season. That's NOT EQUIVALENT to saying the Spurs couldn't have won the accomplishment of winning a full 82 game season that year. But like the 1982 and 1987 Washington Redskins, the 1999 Spurs shouldn't be ranked up there with title-holders from full seasons.

Teams build their rosters for 82 games seasons, then all of the sudden in 1 year you have a 50 game season and it changes which teams stand to benefit.

If all teams played lesser games every year in but in a more cramped schedule it would change how teams built their rosters. But obviously it would still be fair because it would be what all teams prepared for.
1999 was a rushed 50-game season in which too many players changed teams and nearly everyone was out of shape, leading to nagging injuries, shoddy basketball and an absolutely hateful season on every level. The rushed playoffs were such a joke that the 8th seeded Knicks ended up making the Finals before getting trounced by the Spurs...

The shortened season produced skewed playoff rankings. A lot of bizarre things happened in the playoffs that year, the 8th seed (without Patrick Ewing too) for example made it to the NBA Finals, you think this is a freak accident? The rankings and home-court was messed up. The Lakers in fact were probably hurt the most by that lockout as Shaq, who usually plays best near the end of the season (when he is finally in shape) and Kobe was improving on a month by month basis (still young and developing). And as someone else mentioned, the Bulls dismantled their dynasty mainly because of the lockout.

lilteapot
06-21-2014, 10:25 AM
99 definitely has an *

Pretty much.

If you want to use "ifs" against the Miami Heat, like this bullshit: "IF Allen hadn't made the shot in game 6 they'd have no rings, therefore it doesnt count" don't get offended when it gets used against another team you don't happen to be biased against.

There's no such thing as an asterisk in sports, and there's no room for shoula, woulda, coulda's, unless you insist there be such a thing. That's the point of this thread.

Spurs5Rings2014
06-21-2014, 02:35 PM
PER -> per-minute rating of a player's performance.

Robinson was old and saw limited minutes ... Duncan was forced to play 43 mpg during the playoffs.

Spurs were an old team (Robinson 33, Avery 33, Elie 35, Kersey 36, Kerr 33, Perdue 33, Jackson 31, Elliot 30) while the Lakers were a young team.

Las Vegas - Favorites to win 1999 NBA title (Feb 6, 1999)
(http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1999-02-06/sports/9902060234_1_scott-magic-outlaw)

Lakers were heavily favored to win the NBA title.

They had beaten SAS in five of the last six meetings, won their regular-season series with the Spurs 2-1.

Funnily enough, the Lakers got embarrassed by the Spurs in the playoffs.

2000 Timmy missed the playoffs with a knee injury -> SAS had no chance to defend the title

2002 The mother of all asterisks

2009 KG missed the playoff with a knee injury -> Celtics had no chance to defend the title

Lakers' recent history has three or four asterisks (Pau Gasol trade in 2008)

Gregg Popovich (February 10, 2008)
(http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/gregg-popovich-rips-pau-gasol-trade)

Damn, you ETHERED that Lakers homer.

:bowdown: