PDA

View Full Version : Are the Lakers looking to contend these final two years of Kobe's contract?

navy
06-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Laker fans, we have all seen the rumors. Do you think your team is legitimately looking to contend Kobe's final two years or have they decided to start a real rebuild and just wait it out?

stalkerforlife
06-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Kobe's in their ear. He didn't sign for two more years to not contend.

Kobe is the daddy of that organization and is so alpha, he has the front office shitting their pants trying to please him.

I see Kobe one day owning the Lakers.

Rubio2Gasol
06-21-2014, 02:40 PM
I think in 2016, if possible.

Not next year, but they are probably looking to make the playoffs since tanking would serve no purpose.

fpliii
06-21-2014, 02:53 PM
I think in 2016, if possible.

Not next year, but they are probably looking to make the playoffs since tanking would serve no purpose.
This. Someone said that we should have cap room for three max free agents in 2016?

Obviously it'd be great to contend the next two years, but unless Jim/Mitch pull off a miracle (or two, more likely), it isn't happening.

TheMarkMadsen
06-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Lakers will pull off a surprising trade, and sign a couple of solid free agents (Ariza, Gortat esque)

I don't see them just sitting around

Myth
06-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Kobe's in their ear. He didn't sign for two more years to not contend.

He signed the contract for the $$$ and to add to his career point total. He knows the Lakers aren't going anywhere. He gets paid, seats are filled, he gets minutes to put up points, and the Lakers rebuild for their future with Kobe as the money making stop-gap.

COnDEMnED
06-21-2014, 03:02 PM
I believe we will have our first piece by the end of the trade deadline this upcoming season. It wont be a great season for us, probably not even in the playoffs, but we will know about what direction we will take by the end of next year. Endgame plan is most likely targeting Durant. I don't know which star will be with him. My guess is they are targeting Lebron this year to pair with Durant when Kobe expires. Obviously the chances of that are miniscule, but that's probably plan A. A more realistic acquisition this year will probably be someone like Lance Stephenson or Bledsoe.

ZeN
06-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Lakers will pull off a surprising trade, and sign a couple of solid free agents (Ariza, Gortat esque)

I don't see them just sitting around
They have no one to trade tho.

D-Rose
06-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Nobody knows because the Lakers have no assets. Nobody significant is going to come sign with Kobe in his last 2 years, because there are much better contenders out there. The best LA will be able to do is overpay guys like Deng/Bledsoe.

alanLA92
06-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Depends on what happens doing July, with them keeping a option to trade whoever they draft for assets. But it would of been better if Kobe didn't sign that f***ing contract. :lol

TheMarkMadsen
06-21-2014, 03:50 PM
They have no one to trade tho.

Been a lot of rumblings lately..no?

fpliii
06-21-2014, 03:51 PM
I wonder...if we still have our draft pick, and a crippled Embiid is on the table, do we definitely take him? We'd have to, right?

Can't imagine Boston would pass him up, though. Just like the Lakers, they had designs for a super high draft pick. I think one of the teams will take the gamble (if someone ahead doesn't first :oldlol: ).

D-Rose
06-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Literally the only asset is the #7 pick. A decent one, though.

Akrazotile
06-21-2014, 03:57 PM
Depends on what happens doing July, with them keeping a option to trade whoever they draft for assets. But it would of been better if Kobe didn't sign that f***ing contract. :lol

They had no choice because as "laker fans" pointed out after he signed the contract, they will not show up to games or watch on TV if Kibe isnt there.

They all supported the contract because they wanted ownership to make more money. Even if the team sucks, I guess. Normally ownership would be criticized for that but "laker fans" will do or say anything no matter how irrational, to defend Kibe from criticism.

So basically without that contract, Lakers cant sell tickets or get TV views. Kibe is more important than the Lakers to "laker fans"

Artillery
06-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Kobe will lead them into the lottery. Again. For the third time. Kirbyball is ineffective without a stacked team and a dominant frontcourt.

WeGetRing2012
06-21-2014, 04:12 PM
I see Kobe one day owning the Lakers.

I hope he is involved in some way after retirement. We desperately need someone to be the face of the Lakers and lure free agents in the future.

LaserEater
06-21-2014, 04:13 PM
am i the only one that sees that kobe contract as something more to lure in future stars once kobe retires? "look, even if you have a dangerous injury we will stand by you if you win for us and work hard"?

Proven loyalty and $$$.

once kobe is gone they're going to have a lot space and LA will always be an attractive place to be a star.

WeGetRing2012
06-21-2014, 04:16 PM
am i the only one that sees that kobe contract as something more to lure in future stars once kobe retires? "look, even if you have a dangerous injury we will stand by you if you win for us and work hard"?

Proven loyalty and $$$.

once kobe is gone they're going to have a lot space and LA will always be an attractive place to be a star.

I think we offered that contract to Kobe because it keeps him happy and doesnt really hinder us from doing what we want to do in the future. We are still in a position to sign either Lebron (yuck!) or Melo & go after Durant in 2016.

LaserEater
06-21-2014, 04:33 PM
I think we offered that contract to Kobe because it keeps him happy and doesnt really hinder us from doing what we want to do in the future. We are still in a position to sign either Lebron (yuck!) or Melo & go after Durant in 2016.

...and to make a point. Let's be real...even if Kobe took a pay cut... there wasn't much LAL could have done to immediately compete against SAS or OKC. As much as I love Kobe, he's pretty much done. He's going to do damage, yeah sure he will, but he's not going to be superstar level.

Yeah, you keep Kobe happy...of course, with all that money who wouldn't be happy. But when the time comes to negotiate and try to get new talent and build a team that will last for years, loyalty will play a big part of the presentation. "Even if you're past your prime and blow your achilles we still have your back and we'll give you loads of money". No other team can say that.

I'm not saying it's the only reason, but there has to be something more than "just to keep him happy". It's a "what have you done for me lately?" business... don't forget that.

ZeN
06-21-2014, 04:33 PM
When you used the word surprise, I assumed you meant something different than these latest rumbles. The current rumors are not surprising at all.

The Lakers literally only have the #7 pick and Nashs' contact to bargain with. Even if they win a trade, realistically there's only so much we can hope for. If the Lakers were a body, it be nothing but bones. As for free agents I think we shouldnt expect much either, since they aren't looking past the next two seasons due to Bryant.

WeGetRing2012
06-21-2014, 04:49 PM
...and to make a point. Let's be real...even if Kobe took a pay cut... there wasn't much LAL could have done to immediately compete against SAS or OKC. As much as I love Kobe, he's pretty much done. He's going to do damage, yeah sure he will, but he's not going to be superstar level.

Yeah, you keep Kobe happy...of course, with all that money who wouldn't be happy. But when the time comes to negotiate and try to get new talent and build a team that will last for years, loyalty will play a big part of the presentation. "Even if you're past your prime and blow your achilles we still have your back and we'll give you loads of money". No other team can say that.

I'm not saying it's the only reason, but there has to be something more than "just to keep him happy". It's a "what have you done for me lately?" business... don't forget that.

I wouldn't count Kobe out just yet and I don't think our FO has either. We want to pair him with some young talent and another superstar scorer to take off some of the load. Even with his contract we are still in a position to do that. And you're right I think by giving him that contract it definitely makes us look good.

D-Rose
06-21-2014, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't count Kobe out just yet and I don't think our FO has either. We want to pair him with some young talent and another superstar scorer to take off some of the load. Even with his contract we are still in a position to do that. And you're right I think by giving him that contract it definitely makes us look good.
The contract was atrocious. Klinsmann was absolutely 100% right about it.

Kobe has had season ending injuries the past two years. He's going to be nothing more than a glorified volume scorer when he comes back. Trust me, I'm a huge Kobe fan...but that's the most likely outcome here.

alanLA92
06-21-2014, 06:03 PM
They had no choice because as "laker fans" pointed out after he signed the contract, they will not show up to games or watch on TV if Kibe isnt there.

They all supported the contract because they wanted ownership to make more money. Even if the team sucks, I guess. Normally ownership would be criticized for that but "laker fans" will do or say anything no matter how irrational, to defend Kibe from criticism.

So basically without that contract, Lakers cant sell tickets or get TV views. Kibe is more important than the Lakers to "laker fans"

Bandwagon fans would be the ones to not watch or buy tickets because they already went to the other team in LA. But yeah I see the point and did back in Nov when the deal was first announced.

Vancouver-Grizz
06-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Just dont see it happening.. Lakers have no assets to trade and their only hope will be free agency.

They will not land Carmelo or LeBron....I cannot see them spending big money on Bosh or Irving...

If I were the Lakers is enjoy the Kobe show for the next 2 years and draft good and keep the core together.

FYI....KLAY Thompson is not the solution. The boy will command big dollars and will be overpaid.. I see the second Joe Johnson in the works!

pastis
06-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Kobe will lead them into the lottery. Again. For the third time. Kirbyball is ineffective without a stacked team and a dominant frontcourt.
:biggums:

Kobe, Gasol, top pick, than maybe gortat = lottery?:facepalm

even if they wont get gortat e.g., kobe and pau will able to play for the 7-8th in the west. next year = big year in the west, Pelicans and Lakers back into competition, maybe Kings as well. the west:bowdown: :bowdown:

sammichoffate
06-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Depends on who the draft pick is and if he can develop quickly. If he can develop like Lillard, then they're contending quickly. I really don't know what Kobe will be like when the season starts, or god-forbid, two years from now.