andgar923
06-22-2014, 10:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5iy8dl_Cgg

Knicksfever2010
06-22-2014, 11:27 AM
ok

Foster5k
06-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Soon, these Jordan myths are going to rank right up there with the Wilt myths.

Wilt could fight mountain lions with his bare hands, etc. Jordan now has Superman vision.

Harison
06-22-2014, 11:47 AM
4D is an overkill, but a very good eyesight is not exactly a very rare thing, dont see any "myth" here.

Bird's eidetic memory and off the charts BBIQ is way more impressive and its not a "myth" either.

GODbe
06-22-2014, 11:49 AM
:sleeping

jstern
06-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Soon, these Jordan myths are going to rank right up there with the Wilt myths.

Wilt could fight mountain lions with his bare hands, etc. Jordan now has Superman vision.

What are these Jordan myth that supposedly Jordan stans say? I mean his career, games, stats are pretty well documented? Is it Phil saying that he would average 45ppg today with the rule changes, or Larry Brown saying that he would average 40ppg? Is it that he's clutch, I see the Jordan stans talk that he played when the NBA allowed hand checking a lot. That's the one thing that I see them talking about, are you saying that's a myth?

Are they saying that he could touch the top of the backboard, or beat a mountain lion with his bare hand?

This video is about Al Michaels saying that Michael had really good eye sight, and what I thought watching the video is that Michael probably wears contact and has a good eye doctor that actually spent a good deal of time in determining the best contact possible rather than getting rid of him as soon as possible.

lilteapot
06-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Jordan would play with a broken leg because he has the will to win

He would come back at this age and dominate the league because he has the will to win

OldSchoolBBall
06-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Interesting Jordan story, somewhat related. This is a paraphrase from the book "Jordan: The Man, His Words, His Life" by Mitch Green.

Green said that when Jordan was doing his baseball stint, he had to go through a variety of tests that measured reflexes/reaction time, concentration etc. They had this professional who performed these tests on pro athletes from all the major sports leagues come in to administer the tests.

One of the tests was some sort of grid that had various sections, and lights would flash in one or two or three of these sections really rapidly, and you had to either press that section with your finger, or just say where the lights had blinked (I forget - I read this book over 15 years ago). Anyway, Jordan didn't just do well on the test, the trainer said that in his 15 year career he had never seen a pro athlete come anywhere close to Jordan's performance - and this guy had given these tests to MLB players, including former MVP's (Frank Thomas was named explicitly, I remember).

To give an example, I think the guy said that something like a .21 second reaction time was the best he had ever seen prior to Jordan. Jordan had a .10. He actually made him repeat the test again to confirm because he couldn't believe it. These may not have been the exact numbers, but that was the magnitude of the gap between Jordan and the second best player this guy had ever tested. Like, twice as good.

They guy said that this not only showed that MJ had tremendously accurate vision and crazy reflexes, but also that he had a superb ability to focus and concentrate - well beyond any athlete he had ever tested.

Always found that interesting.

jstern
06-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Interesting Jordan story, somewhat related. This is a paraphrase from the book "Jordan: The Man, His Words, His Life" by Mitch Green.

Green said that when Jordan was doing his baseball stint, he had to go through a variety of tests that measured reflexes/reaction time, concentration etc. They had this professional who performed these tests on pro athletes from all the major sports leagues come in to administer the tests.

One of the tests was some sort of grid that had various sections, and lights would flash in one or two or three of these sections really rapidly, and you had to either press that section with your finger, or just say where the lights had blinked (I forget - I read this book over 15 years ago). Anyway, Jordan didn't just do well on the test, the trainer said that in his 15 year career he had never seen a pro athlete come anywhere close to Jordan's performance - and this guy had given these tests to MLB players, including former MVP's (Frank Thomas was named explicitly, I remember).

To give an example, I think the guy said that something like a .21 second reaction time was the best he had ever seen prior to Jordan. Jordan had a .10. He actually made him repeat the test again to confirm because he couldn't believe it. These may not have been the exact numbers, but that was the magnitude of the gap between Jordan and the second best player this guy had ever tested. Like, twice as good.

They guy said that this not only showed that MJ had tremendously accurate vision and crazy reflexes, but also that he had a superb ability to focus and concentrate - well beyond any athlete he had ever tested.

Always found that interesting.

I don't know if what you wrote is a myth or not, but one of the top two things that impresses me about Jordan is his reaction time, decision making, reflex to great help defense, double teaming. I attributed it to being extremely well prepared, but what you say does make a lot of sense, seeing Jordan's game.

There are better examples, and I'm saying that because the Jordan haters are probably misinterpreting this post to mean that Michael was oozing these qualities every second of every game, rather than more of a subtle thing. But I'm posting this part, because I saw this after someone posted here yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQePkBnD0vo&feature=player_detailpage#t=217

It's probably my favorite point of the video, because of that quick decision making, no hesitation, after seeing Tim coming for the double team.

jzek
06-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Reason #457,987,258,357,368 why MJ is the GOAT.

jzek
06-22-2014, 01:41 PM
What are these Jordan myth that supposedly Jordan stans say?

there are no Jordan myths. It's just that kids today are used to subpar performers like LeBron or Kobe so when someone points out a Jordan fact, it's so different to what they're used to that they immediately classify it as a "myth"

Just goes to show how truly great Jordan is when his accomplishments sound like myths to fans of today. :applause:

OldSchoolBBall
06-22-2014, 01:55 PM
I don't know if what you wrote is a myth or not, but one of the top two things that impresses me about Jordan is his reaction time, decision making, reflex to great help defense, double teaming. I attributed it to being extremely well prepared, but what you say does make a lot of sense, seeing Jordan's game.

What I posted is definitely not a myth - it actually happened and is corroborated. The book it comes from detailed MJ's 1993 season, retirement, baseball stint, and comeback season.

I agree with you about these sorts of qualities being evident in Jordan's game, though. The reflexes/reaction time and hand/eye coordination stuff I mentioned, for instance, allowed him to make plays like these, which imo you will never see anyone else make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4gigN2zMU4#t=3m54s

Realizes he has a bad angle on the closeout when Edwards starts to drive, jumps in a circular motion around Edwards' body in mid-air, and strips the ball. Unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4gigN2zMU4#t=4m18s

Comes from well behind the play, runs in front of the player, and pokes it away cleanly at game speed. To do that without fouling is mind-boggling to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wLW2UwkcG4#t=1m22s

Pay attention to the second block/strip he makes. In less than a second's time, he recognizes that Wilkins is going to try to catch it and go right up with it in one motion (without coming down), and manages to strip it cleanly off Wilkins. Just amazing recognition and reaction time. No one else in history makes that play imo. Wilkins gets that shot off.

jstern
06-22-2014, 01:59 PM
I was thinking something similar, that it’s part of a completely brand new generation that literally have not even seen Lebron in his Cavs days, much less know anything but a couple of clips from Jordan. And since it’s hard to actually truly understand a career they never saw, especially when their basketball knowledge and understanding are based on a couple of years of following the NBA, they treat it as if people are making stats up, or clutch performance, championships up.

A career like Jordan’s is so accomplished, these new kids know very little about it, and even though they can look things up, that human denial makes them just come to the conclusion that it’s all myths, be 100% sure about it, rather than actually look things up. It’s just mentally easier for them, and subconscious avoidance makes them not have to deal with reading, or watching a player they dislike going through their success.

What I posted is definitely not a myth - it actually happened and is corroborated. The book it comes from detailed MJ's 1993 season, retirement, baseball stint, and comeback season.

I was just goofing around about the myth thing.

played0ut
06-22-2014, 02:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQePkBnD0vo&feature=player_detailpage#t=217

objectively speaking, do you guys ever see modern players doing stuff like this? Honestly. When in the air he had four ****ing people on him! And before he went up, there were THREE people inbetween him and the basket!

You see amazing athletic dunks from LEbron or Westbrook, but NEVER dunks where you go through the smallest openings inbetween defenders in clogged lanes.

Soundwave
06-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Well Wilt's tales are a lot crazier, lol, like the 30,000 women or whatever :lol

This stuff might explain why Jordan was so good/unique, having tremendous eye sight and reaction time certainly can help in a game like basketball.

jstern
06-22-2014, 02:12 PM
objectively speaking, do you guys ever see modern players doing stuff like this? Honestly. When in the air he had four ****ing people on him! And before he went up, there were THREE people inbetween him and the basket!

You see amazing athletic dunks from LEbron or Westbrook, but NEVER dunks where you go through the smallest openings inbetween defenders in clogged lanes.

I was thinking about that. You have more dunks of Jordan dunking on Centers face to face, meeting them right at the top as they both jumped.

That's what I consider getting dunked on, while today, the highlights that I see of people getting dunked on are from a defender coming from the side extending their hand trying to block it from the side. It rarely that both jumping, meeting up in the air, face to face challenge.

Shade8780
06-22-2014, 02:17 PM
I would be the GOAT if I had good eyesight.

andgar923
06-22-2014, 03:13 PM
I've heard people say how MJ could spot somebody in a crowd from the corner of his eye with an instant.

What does that show?

His peripheral vision is very keen, he can also distinguish things as well. A quality that would've obviously helped him as a basketball player.

In the past I've made the point that MJ is a better passer than Bron. I've always said that MJ is better because he doesn't take long to read and react. He reads defenders and knows what the defense is about to do before they even act on it. Which is how he was able to constantly beat double and triple teams with his passing (or attacking).

His vision is just one trait that made him different than others.

That's not to say that he has the GOAT vision. But just another attribute that helped him become that much better. Just like with his hands. His hands may not be the biggest ever, but it is a trait that helps him as a player.

A long time ago I posted a vid in which MJ stole the ball without him really looking. He faked chasing his man and suddenly turned around an instant before the passer made the pass and stole it. That's an example of how great his peripheral vision was, and why he was able to beat defenders when he had his back turned against them.

andgar923
06-22-2014, 03:16 PM
found it
http://youtu.be/1-WxOHHo9XE?t=12s

jstern
06-22-2014, 04:56 PM
This thread reminds me of Ginobili

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_6im2RzZxU

found it
http://youtu.be/1-WxOHHo9XE?t=12s

That's the one that came to mind when I read your post.

IGOTGAME
06-22-2014, 05:07 PM

I've seen Kobe do that several times. Remember Grant Hill doing it a lot as well.