PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony will terminate Knicks contract early, test free agency

kaiteng
06-22-2014, 02:10 PM
IT'S HAPPENING!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source--carmelo-anthony-will-terminate-new-york-knicks-contract-early-and-become-a-free-agent-175642502.html

niko
06-22-2014, 02:12 PM
When was he opting in? Not that he must stay, but if he does he didn't want the extra five years? Is it just people dontn understand the rules?

Shade8780
06-22-2014, 02:13 PM
:kobe:

We all knew this was gonna happen.

Meticode
06-22-2014, 02:13 PM
:kobe:

We all knew this was gonna happen.
You give people too much credit sometimes.

ballup
06-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Bets on Melo being unhappy with his situation 3 years down the line?

NuggetsFan
06-22-2014, 02:17 PM
I'll still be shocked if Melo leaves NY. When he left Denver and helped them get the best return he showed it wasn't about basketball, it was about New York + making sure he got as much money as possible with his extension. Guess after a few years and more money that could have changed. Just speculation no way of ever knowing but I personally think Lala pulls the strings so either big market or bust.

My money's on NY. Besides the short lived Melo drama he's never really got the attention from free agency like everybody else. Makes sense he's testing the waters and seeing what's out there + getting all the attention for his brand. The Miami speculation will be worth it by itself.

MC Gusto
06-22-2014, 02:22 PM
But the meeting with Phil and Fisher went so well....

Meticode
06-22-2014, 02:25 PM
But the meeting with Phil and Fisher went so well....
It was universally known that no matter how the meeting went, he was still doing it to test the market and keep his options open.

hawkfan
06-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Bets on Melo being unhappy with his situation 3 years down the line?

He should go to Miami as a sixth man.

christian1923
06-22-2014, 02:30 PM
This isn't news. He told us this last year

guy
06-22-2014, 02:33 PM
I'll still be shocked if Melo leaves NY. When he left Denver and helped them get the best return he showed it wasn't about basketball, it was about New York + making sure he got as much money as possible with his extension. Guess after a few years and more money that could have changed. Just speculation no way of ever knowing but I personally think Lala pulls the strings so either big market or bust.

My money's on NY. Besides the short lived Melo drama he's never really got the attention from free agency like everybody else. Makes sense he's testing the waters and seeing what's out there + getting all the attention for his brand. The Miami speculation will be worth it by itself.

Its not like he can't change his mind to value winning over money 4 years later. Not to mention, maybe he feels more financially secure after getting that extension. Plus, its not like he thought the Knicks wouldn't ever be able to contend for a title. He joined Amare who was still playing at an all-star level, plus he may have thought the Knicks would just get it together. If the Knicks had had the same season as they did in 2013 and/or didn't have the terrible offseason they had last year, I don't think there would even be a question about him coming back.

Lebronxrings
06-22-2014, 02:35 PM
so how long till he destroys the team hes with? I give 2 years.

COnDEMnED
06-22-2014, 02:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1chFxv0JllA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybIGOscPtl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkBMAHUkibY

QuebecBaller
06-22-2014, 02:36 PM
"Don't worry Knicks fans, I'm still here"

http://beatsboxingmayhem.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/amare.jpg

Foster5k
06-22-2014, 02:40 PM

:oldlol:

NuggetsFan
06-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Its not like he can't change his mind to value winning over money 4 years later. Not to mention, maybe he feels more financially secure after getting that extension. Plus, its not like he thought the Knicks wouldn't ever be able to contend for a title. He joined Amare who was still playing at an all-star level, plus he may have thought the Knicks would just get it together. If the Knicks had had the same season as they did in 2013 and/or didn't have the terrible offseason they had last year, I don't think there would even be a question about him coming back.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I said "guess he could have changed his mind". I just think New York being New York wins out. With Phil Jackson coming in it's not like there beyond fcked going forward.

Melo himself help put NY in there current situation. Yeah Amare was still there but like I said it more New York than a basketball choice.

BlackVVaves
06-22-2014, 02:42 PM
When was he opting in? Not that he must stay, but if he does he didn't want the extra five years? Is it just people dontn understand the rules?

Phil wanted him to opt in, no?

smoovegittar
06-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Wow... yet another dumb post.

niko
06-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Phil wanted him to opt in, no?
I'm sure he did. He still never was going to do it. Again, why would he want 1 year instead of five?

Lebron 100% will opt out. Why? Because he could resign the same 2 year contract with same opt out.

I'm not saying Melo won't leave, i'm saying the opt out is no indication of anything except that Phil Jackson doesn't have magical powers to make people leave $100M on the table.

niko
06-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure I said "guess he could have changed his mind". I just think New York being New York wins out. With Phil Jackson coming in it's not like there beyond fcked going forward.

Melo himself help put NY in there current situation. Yeah Amare was still there but like I said it more New York than a basketball choice.
I think Chicago who is cheap and Melo who is expensive feels like a bad match. If Melo opts in and Rose gets hurt, Chicago is not bringing in expensive replacements. They are not going over the tax for those extra bench guys you need, etc. Melo who wants max and Chicago who wants to be under the tax at all costs together is strange.

That's why i always think if he goes it's a S&T and not just them clearing cap space because keeping every asset means paying tax.

guy
06-22-2014, 02:53 PM

My bad didn't notice :hammerhead:

They're pretty much f*cked next year. They aren't f*cked after that, but nothing is a certainty. You would think he would've just opted in if he wasn't looking to leave at all, and then enter free agency next year when the outlook was more predictable. Plus, its completely possible that Phil doesn't even want Melo.

I don't know about that. Its been 4 years since the Melo trade. At some point, its not really on the player anymore. Management needs to figure it out. Plus, I believe at the time the Knicks could've just waited and signed him outright in the offseason because he was pretty much ignoring any other teams that he wanted to him i.e. the Nets. And they have made terrible decisions since then such as trading for Bargnani and signing JR Smith long-term.

lilgodfather1
06-22-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm sure he did. He still never was going to do it. Again, why would he want 1 year instead of five?

Lebron 100% will opt out. Why? Because he could resign the same 2 year contract with same opt out.

I'm not saying Melo won't leave, i'm saying the opt out is no indication of anything except that Phil Jackson doesn't have magical powers to make people leave $100M on the table.
Unless I misunderstood what you said, no LeBron could not sign a one year contract with a second year option. The CBA won't allow it.

bdreason
06-22-2014, 03:54 PM
It was universally known that no matter how the meeting went, he was still doing it to test the market and keep his options open.

Not completely true. It was reported that Phil was asking Melo to play out the last year of his contract instead of opting out.

niko
06-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Unless I misunderstood what you said, no LeBron could not sign a one year contract with a second year option. The CBA won't allow it.

Couldn't he sign a deal with a 1 year opt out?

bagelred
06-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Yes, we know. He told everyone he was.

Kukoc
06-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Good for him.
Hope he goes to the Chicago Bulls

lilgodfather1
06-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Couldn't he sign a deal with a 1 year opt out?
No. The new CBA basically killed a lot of stuff. I believe the rule is it has to be a 4 year contract with the 4th being an option. I will find it on Coons CBA FAQ.

Real14
06-22-2014, 06:37 PM
I guess we just have to wait to see what happens.

J Shuttlesworth
06-22-2014, 06:39 PM
I guess we just have to wait to see what happens.
Melo iz gunna stay wit da knicks

Real14
06-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Melo iz gunna stay wit da knicks
Im not abossreal24 man:coleman:

J Shuttlesworth
06-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Im not abossreal24 man:coleman:
you got a problem wit aboss4real24?

Real14
06-22-2014, 06:44 PM
you got a problem wit aboss4real24?
Im just saying that's not me cuz I know u think that's me:coleman:

Lebron23
06-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Worst record in the league next season.

J Shuttlesworth
06-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Im just saying that's not me cuz I know u think that's me:coleman:
talk shit on my ***** aboss4real24 one more time, and see what happens, ******

Real14
06-22-2014, 07:14 PM
talk shit on my ***** aboss4real24 one more time, and see what happens, ******
whats wrong wit u niguh?:lol

knicksman
06-22-2014, 07:18 PM

Nah he thought he could win with amare coz stars are the hardest to get in this league. And now that dallas is going hard for melo, I can see why he opts out. Cuban has proven he can build a championship team.

BrainDead
06-22-2014, 07:58 PM

Look at the size of this guy's hands :eek:

kaiteng
06-23-2014, 10:34 AM
If LeBron stays in Miami, I won't be surprised if he successfully convince Melo to join him for another quest for the ring.

Bandito
06-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Worst record in the league next season.
Expecting you to bandwagon root for that team when Lebron leaves to greener pastures...