PDA

View Full Version : Stein: Mavs plan to pursue Melo, Gasol

D-Rose
06-22-2014, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE]@ESPNSteinLine

ArbitraryWater
06-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Hmmm.... Sure, progress... but what about defense?

Asik/Deng?

Kukoc
06-22-2014, 04:51 PM
THey wont get Melo, maybe Gasol.

Bucan still blew it, when he forked up the 2011 Champions team

DMAVS41
06-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Deng and Gasol....

Sign and trade for Lowry with Larkin/Calderon/Wright?

Lowry
Ellis
Deng
Dirk
Gasol

Championship?

ArbitraryWater
06-22-2014, 04:52 PM
THey wont get Melo, maybe Gasol.

Bucan still blew it, when he forked up the 2011 Champions team

:facepalm There was no way they would have repeated... They were still robbed against Oklahoma.

DMAVS41
06-22-2014, 04:55 PM
:facepalm There was no way they would have repeated... They were still robbed against Oklahoma.

Why do people ignore this?

We weren't winning the title. Were we perhaps going to the 2nd round? Yea...probably, but that's it. The Spurs and Thunder in 12 were better than running back a team without Barea, Stevenson, Butler, Peja...and older Kidd/Terry/Dirk...

We did match up well with the Thunder though, but even if we somehow avoided the Spurs and made the finals. We weren't winning it...

And 13 and 14 would have been even worse...and the future would suck compared to what we potentially have now.

navy
06-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Deng and Gasol....

Lowry
Ellis
Deng
Dirk
Gasol

Championship?

Deng and Gasol arent what you think they are....

Kukoc
Ofcourse you guys could have won it in 12.

As you said yourself, Dallas were robbed against Oklahoma

pmj
Deng and Gasol....

Lowry
Ellis
Deng
Dirk
Gasol

Championship?

Lol in the west unfortunately that is like 2nd round.

DMAVS41
06-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Deng and Gasol arent what you think they are....

Yes they are actually. Deng is better than Marion and Gasol is better than Dalembert.

That improves us just enough to live for competing to win the title in a realistic way.

navy
06-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Ofcourse you guys could have won it in 12.

As you said yourself, Dallas were robbed against Oklahoma
???

Are you sure? They would have had to beat the Thunder, Spurs, and Heat to win that year.

R.I.P.
06-22-2014, 05:00 PM
S&T Gasol for Wright, Larkin, Ellington
Sign Melo
Re-Sign Dirk, Marion, Carter, Harris

Calderon, Harris, Mekel
Ellis, Carter, Ledo
Melo, Crowder, Vet
Dirk, Marion, 34th pick
Gasol, Dalembert, Blair

Not bad. Can mix it with the bench to get some more defense in the line-up.

navy
06-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Yes they are actually. Deng is better than Marion and Gasol is better than Dalembert.

That improves us just enough to live for competing to win the title in a realistic way.

Deng has hit his decline. Or the Cavs just upset him.

Pau Gasol has gotten worse every single year. His defense plus Dirks at their current age would be dreadfully bad.

Kukoc
06-22-2014, 05:02 PM
???

Are you sure? They would have had to beat the Thunder, Spurs, and Heat to win that year.

Dont underestimated the Dallas Mavericks.

At one point many people thought Phoenix would get the 8th seed, but Dallas proved to be the Spurs hardest test.
THey took the Spurs to a game 7

And the team in 2012 were better than this in 2014

COnDEMnED
06-22-2014, 05:04 PM
I like Pau. If he were to leave the team I root for, I would appreciate a sign and trade from the Lakers to wherever he wishes to go. Maybe for some future second round picks or a project player who needs some work.

Thanks for the championships Pau. :cheers:

navy
06-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Dont underestimated the Dallas Mavericks.

At one point many people thought Phoenix would get the 8th seed, but Dallas proved to be the Spurs hardest test.
THey took the Spurs to a game 7

And the team in 2012 were better than this in 2014
Dont over estimate the mavericks. Remember how many eastern teams took the 08 celtics to 7 games?

They have been a good team these past few years. That's about it. They certainly couldnt not rely on Dirk to carry them like 2011. Especially after he let himself go following the championship. Not saying he is a scrub, but he isnt ever returning to that guy in 2011.

Kukoc
06-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Jason Kidd, Terry and Tyson Chandler was a good cast for Dirk to have.

He was the leader, but he did not carry the team like LeBron did in Cleveland 2003-2010

ArbitraryWater
06-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Why do people ignore this?

We weren't winning the title. Were we perhaps going to the 2nd round? Yea...probably, but that's it. The Spurs and Thunder in 12 were better than running back a team without Barea, Stevenson, Butler, Peja...and older Kidd/Terry/Dirk...

We did match up well with the Thunder though, but even if we somehow avoided the Spurs and made the finals. We weren't winning it...

And 13 and 14 would have been even worse...and the future would suck compared to what we potentially have now.

Thanks for getting it..

I cringe when I read those "Cuban ****ed the title team up" comments... Casuals who never really bothered with the situation at all.
It definitely had that "last run" feeling, with that cast.. And wasn't Chandler's on/off impact at 0 defensively with the Knicks last year?

----

While we were robbed against OKC, (damn those first 2 losses hurt), we likely wouldnt have beaten the Spurs, and definitely not Miami.. this was better in the long run. Sadly we missed out on Paul/Howard, but there are still a few years left before Dirk's glorious career comes to an end.

TheMarkMadsen
06-22-2014, 05:11 PM

He was the leader, but he did not carry the team like LeBron did in Cleveland 2003-2010

You're right Dirk won a championship

navy
06-22-2014, 05:11 PM

Im not saying his team was full of scrubs. That Mavs team was deadly from three even without Dirk.

But in the fourth quarters and big games Dirk was the guy. He isnt that guy anymore. Which is why it shouldnt be a surprise when they lose. And lose early.

:confusedshrug:

Kukoc
06-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Im not saying his team was full of scrubs. That Mavs team was deadly from three even without Dirk.

But in the fourth quarters and big games Dirk was the guy. He isnt that guy anymore. Which is why it shouldnt be a surprise when they lose. And lose early.

:confusedshrug:

Yeah ofcourse. Dirk was clutch in that finals series and that is also why he got the finals mvp.

But Im only saying that they could have repeated that in 2012.

Carbine
06-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Gasol/Dirk front court would be the worst pick and roll defensive big tandem in the league.

R.I.P.
06-22-2014, 05:19 PM

Of course not. He won the title.

DMAVS41
06-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Deng has hit his decline. Or the Cavs just upset him.

Pau Gasol has gotten worse every single year. His defense plus Dirks at their current age would be dreadfully bad.

Do you understand how much better Gasol/Dalembert is than Dalembert/Blair defensively? And if we did nothing else...allows Wright to play a better role suited for his strengths?

Do you understand that Deng is better than Marion and allows certain guys to play less?

I'm not saying it makes us favorites, but I'd bet a lot of money on the Mavs against the Spurs in the playoffs this year if we could run back that series and add Deng and Gasol on the Mavs.

And I'd like our chances against any other team in the league.

Again, not favorites, but definitely a legit contender...unless we saw a heavy Dirk decline or serious chemistry issues.

DMAVS41
06-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Gasol/Dirk front court would be the worst pick and roll defensive big tandem in the league.

Actually Dalembert/Dirk or Dirk/Wright are worse. Dalembert/Wright are more athletic, but get lost often on the coverages.

At least with Dirk/Gasol they'd know where to go.

Regardless, adding Gasol and allowing Dalembert improves our team in a real way...and allows Wright to play his normal position.

You guys act like the Mavs pick and roll defense already wasn't dreadful.

Kukoc
06-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Well you guys could get to the WFC with that team.
Not sure if you could advance to the finals but if you do.
Im not sure if you could beat the Heat in the finals, but really hope so

All Net
06-22-2014, 05:57 PM
I expect Pau to get Alot of offers.

Carbine
06-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Actually Dalembert/Dirk or Dirk/Wright are worse. Dalembert/Wright are more athletic, but get lost often on the coverages.

At least with Dirk/Gasol they'd know where to go.

Regardless, adding Gasol and allowing Dalembert improves our team in a real way...and allows Wright to play his normal position.

You guys act like the Mavs pick and roll defense already wasn't dreadful.

You will love Dalemberts pick and roll and interior defense after watching Pau carefully.

Believe that.

BlackVVaves
06-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Deng and Gasol....

Lowry
Ellis
Deng
Dirk
Gasol

Championship?

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/400/327/fee.gif

SCdac
06-22-2014, 06:27 PM
I like the Melo idea, but not feeling the Gasol-Dirk tandem at their ages. Think they're better off with a Gortat or Asik. Either way, if they can do it, they should.

Carter_17
06-22-2014, 06:49 PM
I would LOVE Gasol next to Dirk. Seriously, there would be soooo much skill there. We would also love Pau in Dallas. He could be a solid starter and help push the team forward. Need some defensive guys in there as well :applause:

Melo is a looooong shot aka .01% chance. I'd like to see Cubes bring in Gasol + Gortat. Holy shit that would be an epic big man rotation after this last year's mediocrity besides Dirk.

You big men + monta got the NBA champions/GOAT Coach/Best PF/Stacked bench to 7 games. And not only that , they played nice basketball during the first round.Dalamber is mediocore I agree. Gasol wiould be a nice replacement. But Blair is like GOAT caliber rebounder, solid on defense and not bad offense. This kid could be a beast in couple of years if he works and given minutes.
And you also have wright who is a solid defender/rebounder aswell. In a big man hungry area like this you are lucky you have Blair and Wright at your bench.

Locked_Up_Tonight
06-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Neither intrigue me at all. Pau would have been nice about 4 years ago. Now he is a shell.

Melo, is a good player. Just not conducive to team chemistry. The Mavs would turn into "Melo-Ball"... where he stands with the ball for about 20 secs of evry shot clock.

russwest0
06-22-2014, 07:20 PM
offensively a gasol/dirk duo sounds badass but defensively it sounds horrible

ArbitraryWater
06-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Neither intrigue me at all. Pau would have been nice about 4 years ago. Now he is a shell.

Melo, is a good player. Just not conducive to team chemistry. The Mavs would turn into "Melo-Ball"... where he stands with the ball for about 20 secs of evry shot clock.

true

BlackVVaves
06-22-2014, 07:41 PM

I get what DMavs is saying about Pau in relation to Dalembert and Blair, but I almost get the feeling that some posters haven't watched Pau regress these last couple of seasons. His defense is woeful, utterly woeful. This isn't 2009 Pau manning the paint. Teams would just pick and roll Pau and Dirk into oblivion.

It's really not ideal. Offensively perhaps, but Pau is so injury prone now and has lost his previous touch around the basket enough that when coupled with his defense, it would nearly cancel out all his remaining offense brings to the table.

Mavs should focus on Gortat. Not Pau. And I highly doubt Melo is going to Dallas per their free agency history when it pertains to high profile players. Better off pursuing Deng like DMavs suggested. Even though I think his best days are behind him as well, Carlisle's coaching could optimize whatever production he could provide.

If Dallas wants to go for a title run, they better strike now while Dirk is still capable of leading a team offensively. Plan B worked out last summer, but they can't afford to have another summer 2011, summer 2012 performance.

Gortat + Deng + PG that can actually play defense will get them into the second round depending on where they place in the standings. Not good enough to best the Thunder or Clippers, but hell, if they could avoid certain teams anything could happen.

DMAVS41
06-22-2014, 08:08 PM
I like the Melo idea, but not feeling the Gasol-Dirk tandem at their ages. Think they're better off with a Gortat or Asik. Either way, if they can do it, they should.

Gortat won't be available. The Wizards are keeping him.

Not sure how you get Asik...we don't have trade assets that the Rockets want apparently. This is why I wanted Cuban to pull a Marion/Larkin deal for Asik this year when he was slumping. I know they wanted picks, but Larkin was a first round pick and they will need another guard after Lin leaves or they deal him anyway. The move, last year, was to go after Gortat when he was on the Suns or Asik. We failed to do that and it could potentially really bite us in the ass now.

Gasol, depending on the price, is probably the most realistic get. A trade for Chandler would be nice...and actually what I would prefer.But I don't know if we have the assets to make that happen.

Adding Deng and Gasol doesn't turn is into favorites, but it would jump us from fringe playoff team in the West to real contender.

Only problem is that we play in an impossibly tough conference, but you can't change that regardless.

Sometimes you people have to realize that you have to do the best given the circumstances...

And Deng/Gasol while brining Carter/Harris back with Larkin improving and playing a bigger role while Dalembert and Wright play roles better suited to their strengths definitely makes us better in a real way.