PDA

View Full Version : Woj: Rudy Gay to exercise $19.3 million contract option

Legends66NBA7
06-22-2014, 05:50 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rudy-gay-to-exercise--19-3-million-contract-option-173427123.html

Sacramento Kings forward Rudy Gay will exercise his $19.3 million contract option for the 2014-15 season, but has tabled extension talks until later this summer, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The re-signing of Gay is a top priority for the Kings. Team management and Gay's agent, Alex Saratsis of Octagon, are expected to re-engage discussions in the near future, sources said.

After July 1, the Kings and Gay will be able to negotiate a full four-year contract extension. Gay has been in constant contact with Kings management, and has been impressed with new owner Vivek Ranadive's commitment to constructing a contender, sources said.

The Kings consider Gay a cornerstone of the franchise's future and prolonging the process on extension discussions gives him a chance to further evaluate the team's progress on improving the roster before he fully commits to a deal. If Gay is unable to complete an extension in the next year, he'll become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2015.

Sacramento traded for Gay as part of a seven-player deal with Toronto in February. The Kings were 28-54 last season.

After joining the Kings, Gay averaged 20.1 points on 48.2 percent shooting. In eight seasons with Memphis, Toronto and Sacramento, Gay has averaged 18.2 points and 5.8 rebounds.

Kukoc
06-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Dammm, to much money.
What were the Kings thinking

Legends66NBA7
06-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Dammm, to much money.

Yeah, no way Rudy was not going to decline that type of money on a player option. It's probably the last time he will make this type of money in a season again. Opting in is the only choice

navy
06-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Kings. :roll:

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Dammm, to much money.
new GM was thinking w/ his vision of selling tickets and bringing in big names instead of building an actual team that make sense. Not sure how much of his contract was weighed into the trade decision when they pulled the trigger...

Another 30~35 win season for the Kings. :facepalm

All Net
06-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Nuts that contract.

BlackVVaves
06-22-2014, 06:03 PM
The Kings consider Gay a cornerstone of the franchise's future and prolonging the process on extension discussions gives him a chance to further evaluate the team's progress on improving the roster before he fully commits to a deal. If Gay is unable to complete an extension in the next year, he'll become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2015.

:roll:

ihatetimthomas
06-22-2014, 06:05 PM
If it's true they want to resign him and make him a corner stone to the team, then they have to be the biggest idiots ever. Rudy Gay is a anti champion player. He doesn't play within the team. He is honestly pretty limited offensively for how athletic he is. He is also a pretty poor defender for his athletic ability and size. There is a reason every team he has left has improved.

Meticode
06-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Rudy Gay has been a solid 20/6/2 player almost his entire career, but there is no way in hell he's worth $19 million, even in his best seasons.

bigkingsfan
06-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Another year of Gay, yay.

COnDEMnED
06-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Better the Kings than the Lakers. Thanks for taking yourself out of the running Rudy. Sorry Kings fans.

MC Gusto
06-22-2014, 07:52 PM
This was probably as obvious as Amar'e opting in.

JimmyMcAdocious
06-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Eh, he played well late in the season and the Kings have sucked long enough. Time to start winning games. It's for a season and not like Sac was going to sign Melo or something.

If he resigns and it isn't to a ridiculous deal, Kings have a solid core to build around. Let's see what they do with Williams and the draft. Hopefully McLemore stops being a scrub.

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-22-2014, 08:29 PM
If he resigns and it isn't to a ridiculous deal, Kings have a solid core to build around. Let's see what they do with Williams and the draft. Hopefully McLemore stops being a scrub.
Rumors are they are working on a 3-year extension...and it better not be f'in ridiculous. Other rumor is they'll match any offer made for Isaiah that is around ~$6m. So will any team offer Isaiah $8~10m? It wouldn't surprise me.

Btw, did you mean Derrick Williams? :oldlol: That aint much of a building block.

I really wish I saved my posts ripping on both mid-season trades just to prove what an prodigal prophet i am... :pimp:

ballup
06-22-2014, 09:27 PM
You go get that check Rudy!

hawksdogsbraves
06-22-2014, 11:46 PM
It's obvious he was going to take his option, nobody will ever give him $19 million/yr again.

The Kings are making a huge mistake if they're going to give him a big extension though. Did they not watch themselves play this year??

Genaro
06-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Kings could draft Randle and have a good front court with DMC, Gay and Randle.
But giving 19M to Gay is too much. They should've never traded for him.

ihatetimthomas
06-22-2014, 11:58 PM
Rumors are they are working on a 3-year extension...and it better not be f'in ridiculous. Other rumor is they'll match any offer made for Isaiah that is around ~$6m. So will any team offer Isaiah $8~10m? It wouldn't surprise me.

Btw, did you mean Derrick Williams? :oldlol: That aint much of a building block.

I really wish I saved my posts ripping on both mid-season trades just to prove what an prodigal prophet i am... :pimp:

It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict those 2 cast aways wouldn't pan out lol

BlazerRed
06-23-2014, 03:04 AM
19 ****ing mil for Rudy ****ing Gay?! :roll: :roll: :roll:

JohnFreeman
06-23-2014, 03:05 AM
:facepalm

Akrazotile
06-23-2014, 03:10 AM
Rudy Gay has been a solid 20/6/2 player almost his entire career, but there is no way in hell he's worth $19 million, even in his best seasons.

Empty.

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-23-2014, 03:11 AM
It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict those 2 cast aways wouldn't pan out lol
believe me, i know... but some of the Kings fans here, ones I respect even!, were thought otherwise.

Akrazotile
06-23-2014, 03:20 AM
19 ****ing mil for Rudy ****ing Gay?! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Its all about perspective. Kobe made 30 mil last year :roll:

hawkfan
06-23-2014, 03:24 AM
Derrick Williams (expirer) for Brandon Jennings.
Pistons get cap space for next year.
Sacramento gets an upgrade at point guard.

JohnFreeman
Its all about perspective. Kobe made 30 mil last year :roll:
http://www.troll.me/images/2-chainz/truuu.jpg

JohnFreeman
Derrick Williams (expirer) for Brandon Jennings.
Pistons get cap space for next year.
Sacramento gets an upgrade at point guard.
:wtf:

Myth
06-23-2014, 03:25 AM
Least surprising opt-in in a long time.

hawkfan
06-23-2014, 03:27 AM

No one wants to play point for Sacramento.

JohnFreeman
06-23-2014, 03:29 AM
No one wants to play point for Sacramento.
Thomas is still there? He is better than Jennings.

hawkfan
06-23-2014, 03:29 AM
Gay's biggest contribution to Sacramento was getting them a few more wins to knock them further down in the draft.

Legends66NBA7
06-23-2014, 03:33 AM

Yeah... Jennings is a bad player.

And man... the thought of Cousins/Gay/Jennings trio... They would be the damn Anti-Spurs.

:biggums:

hawkfan
06-23-2014, 03:35 AM
Yeah... Jennings is a bad player.

And man... the thought of Cousins/Gay/Jennings trio... They would be the damn Anti-Spurs.

:biggums:

Good for lottery purposes.

no pun intended
06-23-2014, 03:35 AM
Fvcking Rudy Gay man.

Legends66NBA7
06-23-2014, 03:36 AM
Good for lottery purposes.

True, a team that dysfunctional would vault them into the worst record in the league.

hawkfan
06-23-2014, 03:37 AM
Thomas is still there? He is better than Jennings.

Why lower your lottery chances?

coin24
06-23-2014, 03:53 AM
The hawks should trade for him, all the big stars want to play there apparently.:lol

Make a scenario hawkfan, trade for gay then give him a joe Johnson contract:cheers:

hawkfan
06-23-2014, 03:57 AM
The hawks should trade for him, all the big stars want to play there apparently.:lol

Make a scenario hawkfan, trade for gay then give him a joe Johnson contract:cheers:

Steve Nash for Rudy Gay.

GimmeThat
06-23-2014, 04:50 AM
while it's a players option, so it really doesn't matter how the Kings treat it.

But how the Kings decided to utilize Gay in their game plan even on his last year with such a big contract. Will most likely determine how they will resign him at what amount.

Heck, the Kings might become the team he is the most useful for on the team, which can then really help dictate his next contract. Without lowballing the guy and make him walk somewhere else.

andremiller07
06-23-2014, 05:51 AM
Awful news but if they can land a pass first PG and move Isaiah Thomas + Derrick Williams for something decent could prove OK.

The Kings as bad as they played were 19-21 with that trio health which is a massive upgrade for them anyway.

What a shit day but man he just had to comeback seriously, if the Kings resign Thomas as well you could see the greatest chucking season ever from the "empty 3".

:facepalm :facepalm
Had Rudy Gay not resign I honestly beleive we would have won the trade just cause we got rid of Chuck Hayes a year early but Toronto completely ass raped us in this deal.

If Thomas is re-signed as well next season is 100% ruined for me.

UConnCeltics
06-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Gay/8 for Rondo/Green please Ainge.

JohnFreeman
06-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Deal.

Miles and Miles
06-23-2014, 03:17 PM
The Kings are better with Rudy then without him. We weren't going to get anyone that can replace him so I am glad we could keep him. Same with IT we aren't going to fill his roster spot with someone better so hopefully we can resign him and his contract won't count against the salary cap. Keep the best 3 players and replace the others with better talent. No one on the current team will ever be more talented then our best 3 players currently are.

andremiller07
06-23-2014, 11:10 PM
The Kings are better with Rudy then without him. We weren't going to get anyone that can replace him so I am glad we could keep him. Same with IT we aren't going to fill his roster spot with someone better so hopefully we can resign him and his contract won't count against the salary cap. Keep the best 3 players and replace the others with better talent. No one on the current team will ever be more talented then our best 3 players currently are.
They don't have to be "better" than Rudy Gay they just have to actually help you win and play defence while promoting ball movement instead of raping it. Rudy Gay like in Toronto had a small honeymoon period before he went back into chucker/ball stopping champion.

There's plenty of guys we could have possibly signed instead of Gay @ 1.2 the price which could help us win.

Celtics get ass raped we can throw in Thomas as well.

NumberSix
06-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Of course. It's probably more than he would get for the rest of his career.

He's like an extremely shitty , less efficient Melo.

andremiller07
06-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Of course. It's probably more than he would get for the rest of his career.

He's like an extremely shitty , less efficient Melo.
He's just soft as well, literally the entire time he was on the Kings I never seen him make one scrappy play like diving for the ball dude plays like a straight bitch at times.

The only time he showed any fire was when KD was embarrasing him and he couldn't handle it so he got himself two techs to get thrown out of the game.

Miles and Miles
06-23-2014, 11:22 PM
They don't have to be "better" than Rudy Gay they just have to actually help you win and play defence while promoting ball movement instead of raping it. Rudy Gay like in Toronto had a small honeymoon period before he went back into chucker/ball stopping champion.

There's plenty of guys we could have possibly signed instead of Gay @ 1.2 the price which could help us win.

Celtics get ass raped we can throw in Thomas as well.

So your basically saying they have to be better. We had a higher winning percentage with Rudy than without. We have been looking for a SF since Artest.

andremiller07
06-23-2014, 11:24 PM
So your basically saying they have to be better. We had a higher winning percentage with Rudy than without. We have been looking for a SF since Artest.
Replacing John Salmons (a garabage SG) with any decent SF in the entire L would have given us a muich better win %.

We should have kept looking for that SF, I'm not sayign they have to be better is Trevor Ariza more talented than Rudy Gay? No does he cost as much no, will he help you win more than Gay yes. I rather DeMarra Carroll from Atlanta than Rudy.

Miles and Miles
06-23-2014, 11:29 PM
Replacing John Salmons (a garabage SG) with any decent SF in the entire L would have given us a muich better win %.

We should have kept looking for that SF, I'm not sayign they have to be better is Trevor Ariza more talented than Rudy Gay? No does he cost as much no, will he help you win more than Gay yes. I rather DeMarra Carroll from Atlanta than Rudy.

Well we are on different sides of this one that's for sure. "Better" to me and winning more games is the same thing. I wasn't saying talent. We have been looking to upgrade at SF for how many years? We weren't getting anywhere on the search and brought in a very good one. We have him one more year. Hopefully we can get some additional pieces to put around him so he stays. Hopefully he doesn't turn back into the guy he was in Toronto. I haven't seen that guy so far. Our focus should be finding a decent PF and SG because apparently we have neither.

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-24-2014, 01:27 AM
Our focus should be finding a decent PF and SG because apparently we have neither.
How about the Kings actually draw up plays for JT and you give McLemore time to develop? ffs.

Kings focus should be a true PG and complementary bigs for Cousins (JT is just a clone of Cousins, but less skilled, though more athletic).

tpols
06-24-2014, 01:29 AM
He's just soft as well, literally the entire time he was on the Kings I never seen him make one scrappy play like diving for the ball dude plays like a straight bitch at times.

The only time he showed any fire was when KD was embarrasing him and he couldn't handle it so he got himself two techs to get thrown out of the game.

it's crazy how much mentality plays into the game..