PDA

View Full Version : Cavs torn on who to draft first...

D-Rose
06-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Link (http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11127401/cleveland-cavaliers-torn-draft-first?src=mobile&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2Feih uU538N6%22%7D)

Just two days prior to the NBA draft, the Cleveland Cavaliers are split on whether to take Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins with the top overall pick, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

"They are torn," one source close to the situation told ESPN.com. "They met for three hours and all they talked about was those two guys."

The Cavs also have concerns about what position Parker will ultimately play in the NBA. They, along with other teams, believe he'll struggle to guard NBA threes and ultimately end up playing like a stretch power forward in the league. With Tristian Thompson and Anthony Bennett already on the roster, Parker may not be as good of a fit as it first appears.

Welp, the debate rages on. It makes a bit more sense why they are listening to trade offers since they don't seem to be in love w/ either guy. I feel like they unfortunately have too much young talent....if only they draft Noel last year.

BrainDead
06-24-2014, 10:20 AM
They should probably trade the pick to Utah.

1~Gibson~1
06-24-2014, 10:21 AM
For the 1000th time, draft Andrew freakin Wiggins! Stop over thinking this Cleveland.

In a dream scenario, we make the playoffs as #7 seed and Wiggins shuts down LeBron ( ala Leonard ).
I just dont see Parker having that ability on thr defensive side.

KobesFinger
06-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Draft Wiggins. I think Parker is better and will ultimately be the better player but they both play the 3, along with LeBron. If LeBron comes back he can mentor Wiggins or they can trade him, if he doesn't they have Wiggins. Win-Win IMO

Uncle Drew
06-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Take. Wiggins.

1~Gibson~1
06-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Draft Wiggins. I think Parker is better and will ultimately be the better player but they both play the 3, along with LeBron. If LeBron comes back he can mentor Wiggins or they can trade him, if he doesn't they have Wiggins. Win-Win IMO
If Lebron comes back , Wiggins is playing the 2 :oldlol:

Jailblazers7
06-24-2014, 10:45 AM
They will take Wiggins if they don't trade the pick. I think they are probably just playing up their indecision to see if the Sixers or Jazz will panic.

Smook A.
06-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Why are they even doing this? lol. I don't think they want Jabari anymore since he came to the workouts looking like a fatty (255 pounds) and he wasn't making his shots.

If I were them I would just take Andrew Wiggins or trade the pick to Milwaukee. If they trade it to the Bucks they can still get Wiggins since the Bucks will most likely select Jabari Parker. The thing I love about Andrew Wiggins is that he has a ton of potential. If he fixes a few things in his game he can potentially become a superstar. He's got all the tools to be one.

BoutPractice
06-24-2014, 11:04 AM
If you're not going to take Embiid, go with Wiggins. He's the next player with the most upside.

The best fit is also Wiggins due to his defensive potential. Parker would not help Cleveland's horrendous defense. Wiggins can also be brought along more slowly, whereas Parker will need to be the guy with the ball in his hands from day 1, otherwise he's not very useful. Finally, Parker doesn't even want to be in Cleveland to begin with.

As for other options, Exum and Smart are both guards which doesn't make sense when you already have Irving and Waiters. Vonleh is a project, Gordon a do-it-all role player in a draft where you can potentially find superstars.

Ass Dan
06-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Wiggins is so f*cking scrutinized it is unbelievable.

People are STILL doubting him, he is AT WORST a prime lockdown defender and an absolute terror in the open court who can knock down jumpshots.

IMPOSSIBLY WORSE CASE SCENARIO, that is what you get. If he tightens his handle and gets meaner he will be the best player in the world in 5 years.

WHY IS THIS EVEN A DECISION?????

"Oh, I dunno Ass Dan, he dribbles kinda high and he needs to work on his left hand, plus, he seems level headed."

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

HurricaneKid
06-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Take Jabari Porker!

/Bucks fan

D-FENS
06-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Cavs over-think the draft every year. They should be stripped of the ability to ever have a lottery pick ever again

Fudge
06-24-2014, 11:44 AM
If they fcuk this pick up yet again and pick Parker, Cleveland slides all the way to the top of my most hated teams list.

This shouldn't even be a debate anymore. Pick Wiggins and move the fukk on.

PleezeBelieve
06-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Lmao @ the haters. :roll:

Sounds like the Cavs don't want either to me.

I think they trade the pick.

NattyPButter
06-24-2014, 11:59 AM
If they fcuk this pick up yet again and pick Parker, Cleveland slides all the way to the top of my most hated teams list.

This shouldn't even be a debate anymore. Pick Wiggins and move the fukk on.

no one cares what you think. As long as they pick Wiggins or Parker Cavs fans will be happy. We just don't want any surprise picks or stupid trades.

senelcoolidge
06-24-2014, 02:43 PM
They are going to shock everyone with Mitch Mcgary..telling you.

Meticode
06-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Take Wiggins, he's not a possible tweener, he'll be a legit SF in the league and can even play SG if need to (sort of like Paul George did earlier in his career).

I don't understand what's to debate if Parker has expressed not being in Cleveland.

It's the biggest stage of his career, yet he shows up overweight by 15-20 pounds, does poor in his workout when Wiggins did his workout and wow'd people?

If Parker actually did this then I don't see what's up for debate. Draft Wiggins.

Fudge
06-24-2014, 02:52 PM
no one cares what you think. As long as they pick Wiggins or Parker Cavs fans will be happy. We just don't want any surprise picks or stupid trades.
:lol

Really?

Cuz Cavs fans on all of the boards I'm on are more content with Wiggins.

Parker's gonna be a tweener, in which you already have Bennett. Cavs management should have learned their lesson by now. Wiggins fill their SF void perfectly. Great defender and is a capable 2nd scoring option behind Irving.

Get real. Wiggins will/SHOULD be their choice.

Meticode
06-24-2014, 03:00 PM

Really?

Cuz Cavs fans on all of the boards I'm on are more content with Wiggins.

Parker's gonna be a tweener, in which you already have Bennett. Cavs management should have learned their lesson by now. Wiggins fill their SF void perfectly. Great defender and is a capable 2nd scoring option behind Irving.

Get real. Wiggins will/SHOULD be their choice.
I agree, especially if the reports of the Parker workout are true. Like I said, it's the biggest stage of your life/career to impress teams and you show up out of shape for the team that has the number pick and do poorly? And not only that but you could be considered a possible tweener?

On the other hand everyone almost agrees Wiggins has a higher ceiling, although he is still raw, did great at his workout and is a top 3 defensive player in the whole draft?

Take f*cking Wiggins. :banghead:

Meticode
06-24-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm not happy if the take Parker if the workout he had and the way he did in it is true.

D-Rose
06-25-2014, 09:37 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11127401/cleveland-cavaliers-torn-draft-first

Ford reporting that Gilbert wants Wiggins. FO wants Parker.

Sources said that it's still unclear whether Gilbert will overrule Griffin and the Cavs' front office -- as was the case when he offered Kentucky coach John Calipari the coaching job prior to hiring David Blatt.

A year ago, Gilbert allowed his front office and new head coach Mike Brown to make the call, and they chose Anthony Bennett with the top pick. Bennett struggled as a rookie, averaging just 4.2 points and 3.0 rebounds per game last season.

"After what happened last year, he may choose to make the call himself," one source close to the situation told ESPN.com.

There is also the option of trading the No. 1 pick. With multiple trade offers coming in and LeBron James deciding to opt out of his contract with the Miami Heat on Tuesday, the Cavs' decision is complicated.

DMAVS41
06-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Just trade the damn pick if you they don't know what to do.

Meticode
06-25-2014, 09:51 AM
One more day, I can't wait!

JohnFreeman
06-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Trade the pick to 76ers for the 3rd and 10th

Meticode
06-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Trade the pick to 76ers for the 3rd and 10th
If they do any trade that stands right now, it's probably going to be the Magic for #4, #12 and Afflalo.

JohnFreeman
06-25-2014, 09:55 AM
If they do any trade that stands right now, it's probably going to be the Magic for #4, #12 and Afflalo.
That's not a bad trade, they could get Exum with the 4th

DMAVS41
06-25-2014, 09:58 AM

If they are torn and want to keep their options open...they should do that.

I like that to begin with. Parker/Wiggins just aren't locks to be great in a way that should compel a team to take them and not trade the pick.

What is the deal on Waiters? Are the Cavs keeping him or trading him?

The problem is that this Cavs team is not very good though...they don't have much to show for being at the top of the lottery so often since Lebron left. I'd trade the pick as long as they can move Jack.

What is the deal on Andy? Are the cavs picking up his option?

JohnFreeman
06-25-2014, 10:03 AM
I would give the 8th pick for Waiters + Hawes or something

Meticode
06-25-2014, 10:04 AM
That's not a bad trade, they could get Exum with the 4th
Consensus is if Embiid is at 4, they will draft him before anyone else if Parker and Wiggins are off the board, but you never know.

DMAVS41
06-25-2014, 10:05 AM
I would give the 8th pick for Waiters + Hawes or something

Isn't Hawes a free agent?

El Gato Negro
06-25-2014, 10:05 AM
all smoke screens griffin and blatt arnt talking to the media. dont buy any of it other than the cavs drafting wiggins number one. griffin spent his entire time as gm so far talking about getting players that fit and wiggins fits.

El Gato Negro
06-25-2014, 10:06 AM
yes he is

russwest0
06-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Dan Gilbert still ruining the franchise I see :lol :lol :lol

El Gato Negro
06-25-2014, 10:07 AM
not at all this is griffins and blatts pick just like bennett was brown and grants pick last year. i dont see where the gilbert meddles bs comes from other than fans still but hurt over the letter.

JohnFreeman
06-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Didn't realise. I would love Waiters though.

DMAVS41
06-25-2014, 10:14 AM
What are the Cavs trying to do?

Are they trying to do a total rebuild around Irving, Waiters, Thompson...and I guess you have to include Bennet?

Those guys are all 22 or younger...I personally would then do the Magic trade if they could shed the Jack contract.

Then I'd flip Afflalo for another pick...(can you do that in this CBA?)

Because if you could...

You'd end up with Embid/Exum, the 12th pick, and Afflalo who you could move for a top 15 pick...the Nuggets apparently were offering the 11th pick for him.

So you'd get the 4, 11, and 12...and at the 4 you could potentially take the player with the clear most upside in the draft in Embid.

I think that makes the most sense as you get 2 extra lottery picks in a deep as shit draft, perhaps the best players still, and shed that Jack contract.

Getting rid of the Jack contract is a must for me. So the Cavs are then loaded with young talent on great contracts...and have tons of cap room to bring in free agents (Lebron and another star potential)

And you could keep Afflalo if you get interest from Lebron...as he's on a good deal and if Lebron came you'd want a guy like that.

I think this gives the Cavs the most flexibility going forward...

All Net
06-25-2014, 10:25 AM
How you figure?

Jasper
06-25-2014, 10:27 AM
For the 1000th time, draft Andrew freakin Wiggins! Stop over thinking this Cleveland.

In a dream scenario, we make the playoffs as #7 seed and Wiggins shuts down LeBron ( ala Leonard ).
I just dont see Parker having that ability on thr defensive side.

Take Parker , leave Wiggins for my Bucks.

Everyone will be happy ... happy happy..... happy happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

1~Gibson~1
06-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Take Parker , leave Wiggins for my Bucks.

Everyone will be happy ... happy happy..... happy happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
I wouldnt mind if we drafted Parker but then we'd have

Irving
Waiters
Parker

On the perimeter and all three of those guys want to score, neither wants to defend. We need Wiggins, I think he's the better option. Probably wont score as much we his defensive potential could turn him into an allstar alone.

GimmeThat
06-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Wiggins.

But then they might stop getting lottery picks...

Meticode
06-25-2014, 11:03 AM
I think they should take either Wiggins or take a chance on Embiid. Parker's workout showing he was lackluster and wasn't prepared tells me he doesn't want to be here, plus he doesn't play defense. Coach K took him out numerous times on the defensive end last year at Duke because he felt he was hurting the team.

Wiggins can at least defend, might blossom into something better than Parker, Embiid can defend as well and has an ultra high ceiling, but you take a chance with the injuries.

hawksdogsbraves
06-25-2014, 11:12 AM
What are the Cavs trying to do?

Are they trying to do a total rebuild around Irving, Waiters, Thompson...and I guess you have to include Bennet?

Those guys are all 22 or younger...I personally would then do the Magic trade if they could shed the Jack contract.

Then I'd flip Afflalo for another pick...(can you do that in this CBA?)

Because if you could...

You'd end up with Embid/Exum, the 12th pick, and Afflalo who you could move for a top 15 pick...the Nuggets apparently were offering the 11th pick for him.

So you'd get the 4, 11, and 12...and at the 4 you could potentially take the player with the clear most upside in the draft in Embid.

I think that makes the most sense as you get 2 extra lottery picks in a deep as shit draft, perhaps the best players still, and shed that Jack contract.

Getting rid of the Jack contract is a must for me. So the Cavs are then loaded with young talent on great contracts...and have tons of cap room to bring in free agents (Lebron and another star potential)

And you could keep Afflalo if you get interest from Lebron...as he's on a good deal and if Lebron came you'd want a guy like that.

I think this gives the Cavs the most flexibility going forward...

The Cavs are about done with the rebuild, I expect they'll go all in on making the playoffs next year. They tried to do it this year actually with that Deng trade but it didn't work out obviously. Four years is a long time to not make the playoffs in this league.

DMAVS41
06-25-2014, 11:13 AM
The Cavs are about done with the rebuild, I expect they'll go all in on making the playoffs next year. They tried to do it this year actually with that Deng trade but it didn't work out obviously. Four years is a long time to not make the playoffs in this league.

Then they should do the Orlando trade.

BoutPractice
06-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Still underwhelmed by Wiggins' college production though.

Stars who were about as productive or less productive than him in college include Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, and John Wall, who share with him great athleticism.

But among SFs, a better comparable, Kawhi was more productive, Carmelo was more productive... I guess freshman Paul George may have been worse, if you take conference strength into account.
And if you go further back in time, Scottie Pippen, Len Bias... but it was a different era.

It certainly doesn't fill me with confidence. The stats don't match his superlative physical profile so far.

You can always say that Michael Jordan was worse as a freshman than Wiggins, or that Kobe wasn't exactly the most productive player right away... but the same was said of Harrison Barnes.

And then there's this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHmEOnVLf0I

A part of me still believes, based on pure "eye test" so to speak that he can be this extraordinary player, but it's not a given.

Meticode
06-25-2014, 11:33 AM
Jabari Parker sending subliminal messages to the Cavs. He told Heather Cox this morning that he thinks he'll be the #2 pick in the draft. If this isn't a clear indication for the Cavs not to pick him, coupled with his bad workout and being overweight I don't know what else will tell them.

https://twitter.com/heatherespn/status/481819353688862720

hawksdogsbraves
06-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Still underwhelmed by Wiggins' college production though.

Stars who were about as productive or less productive than him in college include Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, and John Wall, who share with him great athleticism.

But among SFs, a better comparable, Kawhi was more productive, Carmelo was more productive... I guess freshman Paul George may have been worse, if you take conference strength into account.
And if you go further back in time, Scottie Pippen, Len Bias... but it was a different era.

It certainly doesn't fill me with confidence. The stats don't match his superlative physical profile so far.

You can always say that Michael Jordan was worse as a freshman than Wiggins, or that Kobe wasn't exactly the most productive player right away... but the same was said of Harrison Barnes.

And then there's this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHmEOnVLf0I

A part of me still believes, based on pure "eye test" so to speak that he can be this extraordinary player, but it's not a given.

Self tends not to let freshmen take the reigns all that much, it's tough for young guys to put up big numbers in that system.

BoutPractice
06-25-2014, 11:41 AM
The thing is, he actually put up decent raw numbers for a freshman. It's the overall productivity that's a problem, and things like his assist/turnover ratio, finishing at the rim % etc. Weirdly low steals and blocks for such a physical specimen too.

1~Gibson~1
06-25-2014, 11:42 AM
I think they should take either Wiggins or take a chance on Embiid. Parker's workout showing he was lackluster and wasn't prepared tells me he doesn't want to be here, plus he doesn't play defense. Coach K took him out numerous times on the defensive end last year at Duke because he felt he was hurting the team.

Wiggins can at least defend, might blossom into something better than Parker, Embiid can defend as well and has an ultra high ceiling, but you take a chance with the injuries.
I agree. Pick Wiggins. Worst case scenario is take Phillys offer of Thad + #3 and draft Embiid for mext year.

Uncle Drew
06-25-2014, 11:43 AM
http://puu.sh/9JyFZ/b90f4a2035.png

1~Gibson~1
06-25-2014, 11:46 AM
IMG]http://puu.sh/9JyFZ/b90f4a2035.png[/IMG]

:facepalm:

Why even respond! :

DMAVS41
06-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Jabari Parker sending subliminal messages to the Cavs. He told Heather Cox this morning that he thinks he'll be the #2 pick in the draft. If this isn't a clear indication for the Cavs not to pick him, coupled with his bad workout and being overweight I don't know what else will tell them.

So what would Cavs fans rather have?

Wiggins at 1 or;

Shed Jack's contract, and get something like the Magic deal of Afflalo, the 4, and the 12?

KyrieTheFuture
06-25-2014, 12:05 PM

Wiggins at 1 or;

Shed Jack's contract, and get something like the Magic deal of Afflalo, the 4, and the 12?
Wiggs no doubt

Uncle Drew
06-25-2014, 12:05 PM

Wiggins at 1 or;

Wiggins.

1~Gibson~1
06-25-2014, 12:08 PM

Wiggins at 1 or;

I want Wiggins.. if our FO decides to trade id only be happy if Embiid is their at #4 (assuming parker and wiggins are already gone).

At the end of the day, we want either Wiggins/Parker/or Embiid

BasedTom
06-25-2014, 12:11 PM
In a just world, they would run out of time on the clock.

no pun intended
06-25-2014, 12:15 PM
In before Cavs draft Doug McDermott.

DMAVS41
06-25-2014, 12:17 PM
I want Wiggins.. if our FO decides to trade id only be happy if Embiid is their at #4 (assuming parker and wiggins are already gone).

At the end of the day, we want either Wiggins/Parker/or Embiid

Interesting.

I would definitely take Wiggins over Parker, but I don't like either of them enough to pass on shedding the jack contract, the 4th pick with a chance to get Embid, the 12th pick, and Afflalo who you can keep to draw free agents or trade for a lottery pick around 11.

I'm surprised you guys are so high on Wiggins.

If they do end up taking Wiggins at 1. They better almost exclusively play their young players to figure out what they have. Making the playoffs should not be a priority if it comes at the cost of sitting their pick like they did to Bennet last year. What a waste of a year that was. Can't make the same mistakes over and over again that the Cavs seem to always make.

Bennet and Wiggins need to get at least 25 minutes per game next year.

BoutPractice
06-25-2014, 12:19 PM
In before Cavs draft Doug McDermott.
No, that's the sort of thing MJ will do.

Meticode
06-25-2014, 12:21 PM

Wiggins at 1 or;

I want them to take Wiggins. Jack has already been in trade talks with other teams (the Nets most recently). So they can possibly shed his contract by other means.

I think you draft Wiggins with plans on him being the starting SF at sometime this season. Since that is our weakest position on the team and let him loose to see what he does.

DMAVS41
06-25-2014, 12:27 PM
I want them to take Wiggins. Jack has already been in trade talks with other teams (the Nets most recently). So they can possibly shed his contract by other means.

I think you draft Wiggins with plans on him being the starting SF at sometime this season. Since that is our weakest position on the team and let him loose to see what he does.

So move forward with Irving, Waiters, Thompson, Wiggins, and Bennett...

What is the deal on Waiters?

Meticode
06-25-2014, 12:29 PM
So move forward with Irving, Waiters, Thompson, Wiggins, and Bennett...

What is the deal on Waiters?
Correct. They still have cap space and I think this is what they should do.

Ask for Waiters, not sure, haven't heard much about him moving at all.

El Gato Negro
06-25-2014, 12:31 PM
http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/live blatt press conference half and hour cavs fans. im sure they will ask and he wont tell lol. Blatt will use dion better than brown he will be fine on the roster.

DMAVS41
06-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Correct. They still have cap space and I think this is what they should do.

Ask for Waiters, not sure, haven't heard much about him moving at all.

What do you think though? Is he a guy you want to move forward with?

I'm trying to figure out what the opinions are on this stuff from the people that know the team best.

What if Embid is for sure there at the 4 like everyone is projecting right now...does that change your tune at all about the Magic deal?

Meticode
06-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Take what Sam Amico reports with a grain of salt, but he's posting that the Cavs are leaning towards Wiggins now. As reported last year Gilbert wanted Oladipo, but the front office took Bennett. This year Gilbert wants Wiggins and the front office wants Parker. I think Gilbert gets his way this time.

Meticode
06-25-2014, 12:57 PM
http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/live blatt press conference half and hour cavs fans. im sure they will ask and he wont tell lol. Blatt will use dion better than brown he will be fine on the roster.
Actually, I made a threat about this. It's on the first page.

ottooooooo
06-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Take Jabari Porker!

/Bucks fan

:roll:

Meticode
06-25-2014, 01:01 PM
What do you think though? Is he a guy you want to move forward with?

I'm trying to figure out what the opinions are on this stuff from the people that know the team best.

What if Embiid is for sure there at the 4 like everyone is projecting right now...does that change your tune at all about the Magic deal?
For me at this point I would prefer the team to take Wiggins over Embiid. If they trade and Embiid is available at 4 then take him. That specific fracture has screwed up so many careers. Michael Jordan had it, and never had a problem with it again. But Michael Jordan isn't a 7'0"+ center that is over 250 pounds either like Big Z, like Yao Ming was, like Bill Walton was.

The injury just isn't very promising for a big-man to have. If they trade and he's there at #4, definitely take a gamble on it, in-my-opinion. But if they keep the #1, take Wiggins.

Personally if Embiid didn't have this injury, he would've been #1 for me.

Jasper
06-25-2014, 01:13 PM

eriously if a top draft pick would perfer to play on my Bucks . .. that says something for the guy... he wants to part of a team nucleas....'s

Meticode
06-25-2014, 01:15 PM
eriously if a top draft pick would perfer to play on my Bucks . .. that says something for the guy... he wants to part of a team nucleas....'s
Well, I think it's for two reasons. One, he wants to stand out more on the team. He can come in and immediately be the favorite and leading player on the team with the Bucks. Two, it's a 75 minute drive from his hometown.