PDA

View Full Version : Trying to replicate Kevin McHales post moves...

jongib369
06-24-2014, 12:10 PM
http://youtu.be/wdtgUOiWHJg

Should I practice these along with shooting the ball, or just focus on the footwork and add the shot to it later? Like working out with low weight to get the form down before adding more

Jailblazers7
06-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Practice the whole thing together including the shot. The only advice I would have is to take it slow while you learn at first. The easiest mistake for you to make right now is to speed yourself up to much. That is what will result in sloppy footwork and form.

AnaheimLakers24
06-24-2014, 12:18 PM
dude looks like he smelled l8ke shit on the daily. also dudes scrawny ass wouldnt even get drafted in this era

BoutPractice
06-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Practice the whole thing. It's a totality, you can't break it up into parts otherwise you won't understand how it works.

I religiously practiced his moves for years (there was a video of him I must have watched thousands of times), and I can tell you: it's all about the finish. First of all, the finish on some of those moves is not easy as he makes it look. Second, only the finish can tell you if you blew it. You may think you're doing a Kevin McHale up and under or whatever, but not until you actually shoot it will you realize whether you were in the right position to do so.

Oh, and try to practice them on real opponents too. That'll force you to adjust.

Pushxx
06-24-2014, 12:36 PM
:49 seconds...holy shit lol. :eek:

Derka
06-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Once you got into the Torture Chamber, there was no getting out without going through serious pain :bowdown:

jongib369
06-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Once you got into the Torture Chamber, there was no getting out without going through serious pain :bowdown:
Haha I love that they called it that. I'm only 5'9 with a 6'2 wingspan but love playing and have been shooting around obsessively lately. Don't intend on playing in any park leagues or anything, just love learning about and playing this game

Smook A.
06-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Pay attention to the way he sets up and moves his feet. Keep your eye on that. Watch it over and over again until you know it's in your head. I did that move when I was in high school. It worked but one of the players blocked my shot when I went up :lol

So at then end of the day you can replicate him. All you need to do is study film and pracitce.

Dro
06-24-2014, 05:40 PM
dude looks like he smelled l8ke shit on the daily. also dudes scrawny ass wouldnt even get drafted in this era
Will you children shut up.....damn......Unless you're just trolling:confusedshrug:

Fork
06-24-2014, 06:32 PM

:lol :lol

CavaliersFTW
06-24-2014, 06:42 PM
I suggest you start reading up on footwork and moves in the post, Kevin McHale's moves are simple, extremely simple. It's his rapid transition from one move to another move after the defensive cuts him off in some form or another though, that's what's not easy to duplicate and that's what looks so incredible when you watch him. His reaction time. He'll go up then in a split second go under and if you cut him off then he'll reverse pivot or something. That's 3 moves in one possession in a very short amount of time. The moves are very basic basketball moves. They just occur very rapidly. I think it's one of the "either you've got it or you don't" things - dependent on reaction time and quick thinking. Though I'm sure practicing endlessly all of those basic fundamental moves is mandatory to even be able to see if you've got that capability or not.

TheReal Kendall
06-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Nice moves but he did the same move for a good minute though. It's very effective and somewhat simple if you're coordinated at least bit.

Why hasn't Mchale taught Howard any moves???

Pushxx
06-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Nice moves but he did the same move for a good minute though. It's very effective and somewhat simple if you're coordinated at least bit.

Why hasn't Mchale taught Howard any moves???

Anybody can learn the motions, but if it was easy to put the post-move package together, we'd see it in the NBA more.

McHale read his defender before he even made his first move lol. His reaction time combined with fluidity, length, and footwork made him a terror in the paint. Dwight Howard doesn't have the fluidity or footwork needed.

JellyBean
06-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Practice the whole thing together including the shot. The only advice I would have is to take it slow while you learn at first. The easiest mistake for you to make right now is to speed yourself up to much. That is what will result in sloppy footwork and form.

This. Great comments.

BoutPractice
06-24-2014, 07:23 PM
I suggest you start reading up on footwork and moves in the post, Kevin McHale's moves are simple, extremely simple. It's his rapid transition from one move to another move after the defensive cuts him off in some form or another though, that's what's not easy to duplicate and that's what looks so incredible when you watch him. His reaction time. He'll go up then in a split second go under and if you cut him off then he'll reverse pivot or something. That's 3 moves in one possession in a very short amount of time. The moves are very basic basketball moves. They just occur very rapidly. I think it's one of the "either you've got it or you don't" things - dependent on reaction time and quick thinking. Though I'm sure practicing endlessly all of those basic fundamental moves is mandatory to even be able to see if you've got that capability or not.

Great post.

That reaction time thing was why I was suggesting to practice it against a real defender.

If you just do it 1 on 0 it's a waste of time. Kind of like doing a dream shake in the wind (I'm always skeptical when I see videos of draft prospects, for example, showing off their footwork against exactly no one). Anyone can do that, but the whole point of the dream shake is that the defender has to bite, otherwise you're just dancing around making a fool of yourself.

The post is all about planned improvisation. If you've made up your mind on an exact series of moves before you get into it, it's not going to work against an experienced defender. You have to adapt to where he is and what he's doing, but the key is, you've already tried all the combinations in so many situations that the "improvisation" itself becomes just like following a script. You're never fully surprised.

Another reason why you need a defender (or at least a partner to experiment on) has to do with the finish. Sometimes you can completely erase your defender with a fake. But sometimes you don't, and you'll need to use his own body against him, knowing that his stance will actually affect your shot.

Dro
06-24-2014, 11:01 PM
:applause: