PDA

View Full Version : This year's Spurs vs. last 6 Champions.

Breezy
06-25-2014, 08:37 AM
Most people walked away from this season with the impression that the Spurs were head and shoulders the best team in the league. They dominated the playoffs (Except oddly in the first round) and soundly defeated the 2 time defending champs.

so my question is how would they fare in a series vs. the Last 6 Champions since they won the title.

2014 Spurs vs. 2008 Celtics

2014 Spurs vs. 2009 Lakers

2014 Spurs vs. 2010 Lakers

2014 Spurs vs. 2011 Mavs

2014 Spurs vs. 2012 Heat

2014 Spurs vs. 2013 Heat.

Ill give my opinions later so as not to color the discussion right away.

Give us your thoughts!

Meticode
06-25-2014, 08:39 AM
With how they played the Heat in this year's Finals, they'd beat all of those teams in 6 or 7 games. They shot lights out. And there's nothing you can do about it.

DMAVS41
06-25-2014, 08:40 AM
With how they played the Heat in this year's Finals, they'd beat all of those teams in 6 or 7 games. They shot lights out. And there's nothing you can do about it.

I disagree with this.

The Heat kind of sucked on defense all year...and their defense in the finals was really bad.

The Heat made the Spurs look better than they actually were/are. This Heat team was not good! We have to stop ignoring that.

Breezy
06-25-2014, 08:43 AM
I disagree with this.

The Heat kind of sucked on defense all year...and their defense in the finals was really bad.

The Heat made the Spurs look better than they actually were/are. This Heat team was not good! We have to stop ignoring that.

I is Agreement on with you. They did play the Mavs, Blazers and Thunder as well so we have an Idea on how they'd fare with other types of teams.

aj1987
06-25-2014, 08:48 AM
'12 Heat were pretty good defensively. LeBron and Wade were very good defensively and Bosh wasn't as much as ***** as he is right now. Battier was still a good defender as well. Would be a really close and amazing Finals.

Spurs5Rings2014
06-25-2014, 09:03 AM

:applause:

JellyBean
06-25-2014, 09:06 AM
2008 Celtics: That would have been interesting match-up. I would give the edge the Celtics in this one. They were Spurs in terms of "team" ball. Sure they had the Big Three but they had intensity on both sides of the floor. I give the edge to the Celtics.

2009 Lakers: I love the Lakers also I am a huge Kobe fan. But I will give the Spurs the edge in this one. That '09 Lakers struggled in the series against the C's, which the Lakers won. But Gasol just disappears too much for me and Kobe can't do it all by himself. The Spurs win this one.

2010 Lakers: The Spurs again. The Spurs are just a "team" in every true meaning of the word. I tell my basketball players, watch the Spurs play because they are a team. They share the ball. They look into the post. They hustle. So the Spurs in this one, again. Man I hate the Spurs :)

2011 Mavs: This 2014 Spurs team would crush the Mavs. The Spurs just had too many options. The Spurs again.

2012 & 13 Heat: I just think that this 2014 Spurs just would have won in 2012 and in 2013, just a great shot by Ray Allen that prevented the Spurs from winning that one in 2013.

As a Laker/Sonics/Timberwolves fan, this 2014 Spurs team was just fun to watch. Like I said before, they were a team. Basketball games are won as a team. Sure we love it Jordan goes off for 50 and the Bulls win. Or when Kobe drops 50 and the Lakers win. Or when Larry Bird goes crazy and hits three point shot after another. But in all honesty, teams win games because other players stepped up. You can't win a game by yourself. It's not 1 v 5. It is 5 on 5. And this 2014 Spurs team had 5 plus a great bench. Holy crap! Patti Mills. Boris Diaw. And Tiago Splitter...just too name a few, stepped up and played well.

So I see the 2014 Spurs only losing that one series and that is against the Celtics. That Celtics team was just on a mission that year.

aj1987
06-25-2014, 09:13 AM
2008 Celtics: That would have been interesting match-up. I would give the edge the Celtics in this one. They were Spurs in terms of "team" ball. Sure they had the Big Three but they had intensity on both sides of the floor. I give the edge to the Celtics.

2009 Lakers: I love the Lakers also I am a huge Kobe fan. But I will give the Spurs the edge in this one. That '09 Lakers struggled in the series against the C's, which the Lakers won. But Gasol just disappears too much for me and Kobe can't do it all by himself. The Spurs win this one.

2010 Lakers: The Spurs again. The Spurs are just a "team" in every true meaning of the word. I tell my basketball players, watch the Spurs play because they are a team. They share the ball. They look into the post. They hustle. So the Spurs in this one, again. Man I hate the Spurs :)

2011 Mavs: This 2014 Spurs team would crush the Mavs. The Spurs just had too many options. The Spurs again.

2012 & 13 Heat: I just think that this 2014 Spurs just would have won in 2012 and in 2013, just a great shot by Ray Allen that prevented the Spurs from winning that one in 2013.

As a Laker/Sonics/Timberwolves fan, this 2014 Spurs team was just fun to watch. Like I said before, they were a team. Basketball games are won as a team. Sure we love it Jordan goes off for 50 and the Bulls win. Or when Kobe drops 50 and the Lakers win. Or when Larry Bird goes crazy and hits three point shot after another. But in all honesty, teams win games because other players stepped up. You can't win a game by yourself. It's not 1 v 5. It is 5 on 5. And this 2014 Spurs team had 5 plus a great bench. Holy crap! Patti Mills. Boris Diaw. And Tiago Splitter...just too name a few, stepped up and played well.

So I see the 2014 Spurs only losing that one series and that is against the Celtics. That Celtics team was just on a mission that year.
The '12 Heat are MUCH better than the '13 Heat.

Harison
06-25-2014, 09:20 AM

The reason why Spurs shot lights out was in big part of sucky Heats defense.

Celtics '08 had one of the best defenses of All-time, and they would have Top3 best players on the court. Plus Celtics didnt play hero ball either, superior team and better talent wins this one, too much for Pop to overcome.

Spurs '14 would beat most of others though.

Cone
06-25-2014, 09:23 AM

Mavs will definitely beat the spurs, and the spurs will absolutely destory both laker teams so bad that they disband the whole team

rmt
06-25-2014, 09:29 AM

I agree. 2014 Spurs are a bad matchup for all the Heat teams because of the way Heat play defense + no rim protection. IMO, the way to play defense against this year's Spurs is to play man-to-man and force Parker, Duncan and Manu to score enough points (take half of the team out by controlling Green, Mills, Belli, Bonner). Usually only 2 of the big 3 will have a good game and they can't maintain it long enough over a 7 game series.

Celtics - slight edge to them - great defense with KG protecting the rim and good offense (their big 3 closer to their primes) vs Spurs' great offense and good defense (but TD and Manu are old). Although I do think that Spurs' ceiling wasn't reached as Belli NEVER got going in the Finals and he was a huge part of the regular season.

Boarder Patrol
06-25-2014, 09:31 AM
2014 Spurs vs. 2008 Celtics - tough series. If the Spurs shoot well they win in 6-7.

2014 Spurs vs. 2009 Lakers - Lakers hold a big front court advantage and Kobe was on fire that run. Lakers in 6-7.

2014 Spurs vs. 2010 Lakers - Lakers tired. Spurs in 6.

2014 Spurs vs. 2011 Mavs - Spurs in 6. Same principles as a team, but more talent and depth on the Spurs.

2014 Spurs vs. 2012 Heat - Heat were really peaking in this playoff run IMO. Heat in 6.

2014 Spurs vs. 2013 Heat. - SA significantly better than 2013. SA in 6.

Ill give my opinions later so as not to color the discussion right away.

Give us your thoughts!

Quoted w/ my responses

Breezy
06-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Great topic OP! I bet you are awesome and satisfy women sexually.

Here's my opinion.

Boston 08- Toss up. Boston is such a good defensive team If anyone could beat the spurs it would be them.

Lakers 09 - The spurs wipe the floor with these guys. No way kobe and Gasol are defending those passes.

Lakers 10 - Same result

Mavs 11 - I probably go spurs but those mavs were so good and Dirk was so insane that post season I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to knock off the spurs.

Heat 12 - Spurs. It almost happened too if Okc didn't get so insanely hot for 4 games

heat 13 - Spurs once again for obvious reasons.

Jameerthefear
06-25-2014, 04:54 PM
they beat them all

Lebronxrings
06-25-2014, 04:54 PM
they beat all those teams cept 08 boston and 12 heat. Celtics were stacked to the top with great players. Heat had healthy wade and lebron.

SouBeachTalents
06-25-2014, 04:59 PM
The '12 Heat are MUCH better than the '13 Heat.

Why do you say that, just curious

DMAVS41
06-25-2014, 05:00 PM

Probably because Wade wasn't a shell and Bosh was playing better...and Lebron was at his peak.

fpliii
06-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Spurs beat every team except Boston.

The Mavs are interesting, they did some very weird things on both ends of the court. If SA is still shooting lights out and tremendous passing/defensively, they'd roll, but I think the Mavs could give them different looks. Would be an interesting series.

ProfessorMurder
06-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Celtics probably still win.

Mavs could put up a good fight.

nightprowler10
06-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Celtics probably still win.

Mavs could put up a good fight.
This.

Celtics in 7 in 2008

Spurs in 7 in 2011

I'd say 2012 Heat gives this team a lot of problems too.

houston
06-25-2014, 05:24 PM
they would just beat the 2011 Mavs that it

Locked_Up_Tonight
06-25-2014, 05:31 PM
A 2014 Mavs team that is light years worse than the 2011 Mavs team just took the SA Spurs to 7 games.

And yall think the 2014 Spurs will beat the 2011 Mavs?

That is hilarious.

aj1987
06-25-2014, 06:40 PM
LeBron and Wade were better defenders. Wade was healthier, Battier was a better defender, Bosh wasn't as much of a bitch, etc.. That teams D was just special when it was focused.

aj1987
06-25-2014, 06:47 PM

2014 Spurs vs. 2011 Mavs

2014 Spurs vs. 2012 Heat

2014 Spurs vs. 2013 Heat
The Lakers aren't winning shit. Where's the perimeter defense? Kobe? LOL!

Nikola_
06-25-2014, 06:49 PM
we gonn act like 2014 spurs werent playing game 7 against 8th seeded mavs ?

SamuraiSWISH
06-25-2014, 06:54 PM
The Lakers aren't winning shit. Where's the perimeter defense? Kobe? LOL!
Kobe wasn't that bad defensively in 2009. He's certainly going to gun for the volume scoring necessary to compete with San Antonio that LeBron failed to even attempt to do.

And with Trevor Ariza's youth, athleticism, and length they'd be fine. Did you even watch that 2009 squad? Kobe's the on ball defender if someone's going off on the perimeter, like say Parker or Ginobili and Ariza wreaked havoc in passing lanes. Not a bad man defender either.

He literally won a game in Denver with his defense on in bound passes. The 2009 Lakers were motivated, and Gasol's size could match up with Duncan. One of the clear disadvantages Miami had the past two seasons with San Antonio.

Get the Heat dildo off the computer chair you're sitting on. Kobe COOKED the 2008 Spurs. Why wouldn't he be able to do it the next season? Hell now that I think about it. 2010 Lakers could take this Spurs team as well.

Toss Up:
2014 Spurs vs. 2011 Mavs

2014 Spurs vs. 2012 Heat

2014 Spurs vs. 2013 Heat

aj1987
06-25-2014, 06:57 PM
Kobe wasn't that bad defensively in 2009. He's certainly going to gun for the volume scoring necessary to compete with San Antonio that LeBron failed to even attempt to do.

And with Trevor Ariza's youth, athleticism, and length they'd be fine. Did you even watch that 2009 squad? Kobe's the on ball defender if someone's going off on the perimeter, like say Parker or Ginobili and Ariza wreaked havoc in passing lanes. Not a bad man defender either.

He literally won a game in Denver with his defense on in bound passes. The 2009 Lakers were motivated, and Gasol's size could match up with Duncan. One of the clear disadvantages Miami had the past two seasons with San Antonio.

Get the Heat dildo off the computer chair you're sitting on. Kobe COOKED the 2008 Spurs. Why wouldn't he be able to do it the next season?

Get the Heat dildo off the computer chair you're sitting on. Kobe COOKED the 2008 Spurs. Why wouldn't he be able to do it the next season? Hell now that I think about it. 2010 Lakers could take this Spurs team as well.

Are you ****ing stupid, kid?

Kobe was average at best on defense in '09. Who's guarding Green, Parker, Manu, Kawhi, Mills, Marco, etc.?

Yeah, Trevor and Kobe are gonna stop the Spurs from shooting 47% from the 3. :oldlol:

Also, we're talking about the '14 Spurs, dipshit. Not the '08 Spurs or whoever the **** you dream about.

If your retarded ass knew about anything other than MJ's dick size, you would know that that the Laker's perimeter D was average at BEST.

Legends66NBA7
06-25-2014, 06:58 PM
The Spurs probably beat the 10 Lakers and 13 Heat.

I think the rest wins against the Spurs.

TheMarkMadsen
06-25-2014, 06:59 PM
I'm not even sure they beat a healthy 2014 OKC team.

TheMarkMadsen
06-25-2014, 07:01 PM

Toss Up:
2014 Spurs vs. 2011 Mavs

2014 Spurs vs. 2012 Heat

2014 Spurs vs. 2013 Heat

That moron probably hadn't even heard of the nba before 2010

TheMarkMadsen
06-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Are you ****ing stupid, kid?

Kobe was average at best on defense in '09. Who's guarding Green, Parker, Manu, Kawhi, Mills, Marco, etc.?

Yeah, Trevor and Kobe are gonna stop the Spurs from shooting 47% from the 3. :oldlol:

Also, we're talking about the '14 Spurs, dipshit. Not the '08 Spurs or whoever the **** you dream about.

If your retarded ass knew about anything other than MJ's dick size, you would know that that the Laker's perimeter D was average at BEST.

You sound angry, bad day at 7/11?

Milbuck
06-25-2014, 07:02 PM
The Heat made the Spurs look a LOT better than they actually were. The Spurs were no doubt an incredible team, but they were taken to 7 by the Mavs, and were 1 Ibaka injury away from a lot of trouble against OKC.

I say the 2008 Celtics, 2009 Lakers, and 2012 Heat could take them in 7 games. Not saying they would win, but I'd pick them in a series.

The Spurs beat the 2010 Lakers, 2011 Mavs, and last year's Heat.

aj1987
06-25-2014, 07:03 PM
That moron probably hadn't even heard of the nba before 2010
TheMarkMadshit strikes again. Siding with the MJ nut rider who thinks LeBron is already above Kobe. :applause:

Pathetic. :oldlol:

Good one. Now you can go back to flipping those burgers though. The only time I'm at a 7/11 is when I'm paying guys like you to scan stuff that I buy.

Legends66NBA7
06-25-2014, 07:08 PM

Lame.

RoundMoundOfReb
06-25-2014, 07:10 PM
I'd favor them over all of them.

I'd say '08 Celtics, '09 Lakers, and '12 Heat have a shot though.

aj1987
06-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Lame.
That's probably the best the dude can come up with, since he has the IQ of a rock.

robert_shaww
06-26-2014, 09:00 AM
celtics in 6
lakers in 6
lakers in 7
mavs in 6
heat in 5
heat in 7

Thorn
06-26-2014, 10:06 AM
One thing that seems to be overlooked is that this year's Spurs were really good at defending the three. They helped off all the right people, didn't fall for pumpfakes (apart from Green a few times) and always forced the spot up guys into the help or into a bad long two. After righting the ship vs Dallas, they held Portland to 32% from 3 down from 37% in RS, OKC to 30% down from 36% in the RS, Miami to 39% up from 36.4%, but that's with Lebron shooting 14/27 for 52%. Take him out and the Heat are at 35.9%. This makes me think that this Spurs team would have the edge against Miami's championship teams. Of course there's some things that would tilt the scale in Miami's favor, such as Lebron being at his peak in the 2012, Wade's health, if/which game Diaw starts in place of Splitter, HCA...stuff like that.

2012 Heat don't have Allen or Birdman, but they had a still good Battier who was on fire in the Finals as well Mike Miller. The Big 3 didn't shoot well from outside at all. This feels like the thinnest Heat team, especially since Bosh got hurt in the playoffs. I don't know if there's a huge difference between 12 Lebron and 14 Lebron apart from the fact he was coasting in the 14 RS; in the playoffs Lebron looked even better than in 12, he was just more tired than normal after playing a bajillion minutes in the last three seasons. Still, this Heat roster looks thin, especially knowing the Spurs will take Haslem out of the rotation. I give the edge to the Spurs here, probably in 6.

2013 Heat seemed a little worse than 2012 playoffs Heat, Battier was worse, Wade was worse, Bosh turned into a 3 and D guy. Miller could still shoot, they added Allen and Birdman also. I don't know. We know this year's Spurs will play and probably start Diaw, but last year he only played 16 minutes a game. Manu was healthy this time around too. Ehh...edge to the Spurs again. I'm counting on Pop to outcoach Spo in this hypothetical, especially with regards to adding Diaw in for Splitter to start. The Spurs were also deeper this year than last, since they added Patty Mills and Bellinelli.

08 Celts vs these Spurs would be really good. Talk about a great matchup. Probably 50/50 chances. Both deep, veteran teams with elite coaching, top notch offense vs defense, 60+ wins each, then Rondo/Parker, Allen/Green, Leonard/Pierce, Duncan/KG, Perk/Splitter/Diaw. Spurs had more chemistry on their side since they'd been playing together for 3 seasons and the Celts only one, but the Celts are more talented and younger. I'd have to think about it a little more.

I think it's a tossup between these Spurs and the 09 Lakers, but they probably beat the 10 Lakers. The question is can LA's perimeter defense hold up, I say yes. You could put Fisher on Green (like Fisher took Allen in the 10 Finals), Kobe on Leonard and Ariza on Parker. Pau on Duncan, Bynum on Splitter. Odom on Diaw. Leonard would definitely make Kobe work, but if he gets in foul trouble, it might not look good for SAS. Green has the height and length, but I don't think he has the strength, Kobe could exploit him on postups. Most of the Lakers could also play 40 minutes and we know Duncan and Manu can't (not for an entire series anyway, for one game sure). 50/50 for 09 Lakers, maybe 55/45 in favor of SAS.

10 Lakers would have a bit more trouble because Artest and Fisher weren't quick enough to defend PGs and you can't stick Kobe on them for the entire game. Parker will be running wild like Rondo, Nash and Williams. That alone makes me lean toward the 14 Spurs side. That and the fact that 10 Lakers lose a bit of their youth advantage from 09. Both Lakers teams defended the three well. 09 Rockets, Nuggets and Magic all dropped about 6% from 3 from their RS %. 10 Thunder dropped 5% from 3, 10 Suns dropped 9%, 10 Celts dropped 4%. Jazz in both years stayed consistent, but the thing is no one shot better than their RS %s.

11 Mavs is tougher. A lot of people say "well if the 14 Mavs took them to 7 why wouldn't the 11 Mavs crush them"? They're not the same team apart from Dirk and Marion. JET/Stevenson/Kidd are different from Harris/Calderon/Ellis. The first group had two good defenders that playoffs and the second had none, not to mention the different offense each group brings. Now I don't know these Mavs as well as the other championship teams, but what I saw in this year's series was Splitter defending Dirk really well, just staying with him, not falling for fakes, etc. I don't know if his knee surgery in 2012 limited his ability to do..well, everything, but if Splitter can defend 11 Dirk close to 14 Dirk then I like the Spurs chances. Those Mavs also had trouble with quick guards such as Wade. Admittedly Parker isn't 11 Wade, but if Chandler gets in foul trouble for whatever reason, it could be a layup line. Chandler is a good athletic rim protector like Ibaka though (not as athletic but pretty solid too), so the Spurs offense might stall with him in. Mavs were on a mission...but so were the Spurs. Both offenses were ridiculous in crunch time. Call this one a tossup.

The best chance to defend the Spurs is to stay on their shooters and force their old vets to beat you. Having an athletic rim protector to destroy Parker's layups is also ideal. So you need to be able to defend the three and their PG. Manu can run PG for stretches, but you don't want him playing PG for an entire game or series.