PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hoping that Julius Randle can be like Charles Barkley?

sammichoffate
06-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Undersized for his position, but also tenacious and just an effort machine?

Levity
06-25-2014, 12:13 PM
im sure all laker fans are hoping he does. I've also heard people compare him to Malone. No idea if thats a fair comparison or not, though.

Thorpesaurous
06-25-2014, 12:21 PM
To me that would be absolutely best case scenario. I know people say it's the lazy comp, but I still think a more athletic Zack Randolph is still the more likely scenario. I think he's going to have the same problem, that being that he's not going to be a great defender at the rim. I sense that his offensive game is more complete than he was able to show at Kentucky. And I do like him seemingly more than most because I'm absolutely positive the rebounding will translate. He'll be a good rebounder if nothing else.

sammichoffate
06-25-2014, 12:22 PM
im sure all laker fans are hoping he does. I've also heard people compare him to Malone. No idea if thats a fair comparison or not, though.If this draft is supposed to be as deep as everyone is saying it is, then I'd like all the prospects to live up to their potential if they can. Malone was a scoring machine during his career, i'm not sure any PF could ever match his production on offense. I like that comparison though, since they're both around the same size and build.

sammichoffate
06-25-2014, 12:24 PM
To me that would be absolutely best case scenario. I know people say it's the lazy comp, but I still think a more athletic Zack Randolph is still the more likely scenario. I think he's going to have the same problem, that being that he's not going to be a great defender at the rim. I sense that his offensive game is more complete than he was able to show at Kentucky. And I do like him seemingly more than most because I'm absolutely positive the rebounding will translate. He'll be a good rebounder if nothing else.Yeah, I believe he could be an all-star if he invested his effort into his defense. That and a right hand to finish at the rim would make him a 20-10 guy easily since he's so versatile on offense already.

BoutPractice
06-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Barkley actually had decent steals and blocks numbers in college. (He's underrated athletically anyway)

Randle's are alarmingly low.

Thorpesaurous
06-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I believe he could be an all-star if he invested his effort into his defense. That and a right hand to finish at the rim would make him a 20-10 guy easily since he's so versatile on offense already.

I've read a lot of people questioning how he'll handle finishing over the increased length in the league. But I really do think he'll show more face game and attack off the bounce a bit more than in college. It was weird because he showed it early in the season, then it seemed like he was asked to shut it down. But as the season progressed he opened up a little more.

I'm not looking at him to be breaking guys down from the three point line. But I feel like that ZBo, 12 foot, face up, threat to knock down shot, jab series out of pump fake, is his destiny. And I think he'll be good at it.

Karl Malone is interesting as a comp because while Malone was both taller and bigger, he was also limited defensively because he just wasn't a pop athlete (he was a great athlete in other respects). But while I'm sure Randle's mid range jumper won't be near the all time consistency of KM, I do feel he's a more well rounded offensive player (I'm not the biggest Karl Malone fan for what it's worth).

Pair him with an athletic defensive big and I think you've got a secure future up front.

I still like him more than Vonleh, although it seems the general concensus has flipped. And I have to admit it's closer now than it was when I started thinking about it. Vonleh's length and apparent perimeter shooting has pushed him up my own (totally imaginary) board. But gun to my head I'd still take Randle ahead of him.

VIntageNOvel
06-25-2014, 12:37 PM
the problem with randle isnt because he's undersized, or he's unathletic
but more because of those t-rex hand

AboutBuckets
06-25-2014, 12:45 PM
the problem with randle isnt because he's undersized, or he's unathletic
but more because of those t-rex hand

Wingspan has become such a highly tracked and sought-after attribute that IMO it's becoming overrated

ZenMaster
06-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Wingspan has become such a highly tracked and sought-after attribute that IMO it's becoming overrated

How is it overrated? Most of the league is filled up with players who has a longer wing span than average.

AnaheimLakers24
06-25-2014, 02:38 PM
poor mans zbo

chocolatethunder
06-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Barkley actually had decent steals and blocks numbers in college. (He's underrated athletically anyway)

Randle's are alarmingly low.
Underrated athletically? The dude was a midget who could jump out of the gym, people called him fat but they all knew he was an athletic freak. His first two years he did shit I'll never see anyone do again.

BoutPractice
06-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Oh, absolutely. But I'm not sure he has that image right now, that's why I call him underrated in that regard.

Clyde
06-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Like Barkley?

Absolutely no way that happens.

None.

Zero.

Smook A.
06-25-2014, 02:49 PM
I see him turning into more of a Zach Randolph

senelcoolidge
06-25-2014, 02:52 PM
No way as a Barkley. A very poor man's Randolph maybe. He's not super athletic. He was strong for college but bench players in the pros can push him around. He's short. He has short arms. So he's going to struggle defensively. It's not going to be easy for him.

HurricaneKid
06-25-2014, 02:58 PM
My least favorite lotto pick. No wingspan. Did you see what Cleanthony Early did to him? Picture that X10 every night. Awful defensive liability. Awful instincts. Struggled against anyone with any remote inside presence. Was a bully inside but that won't fly in the league. One handed player.

Poor man's Thomas Robinson IMO.

http://deanondraft.com/2014/01/29/a-randle-walk-down-fraud-street/
http://deanondraft.com/2014/04/25/visibility-bias-and-julius-randles-defense/

Any FO that takes him where he is projected is a BAD FO.

hawksdogsbraves
06-25-2014, 03:52 PM
My least favorite lotto pick. No wingspan. Did you see what Cleanthony Early did to him? Picture that X10 every night. Awful defensive liability. Awful instincts. Struggled against anyone with any remote inside presence. Was a bully inside but that won't fly in the league. One handed player.

Poor man's Thomas Robinson IMO.

http://deanondraft.com/2014/01/29/a-randle-walk-down-fraud-street/
http://deanondraft.com/2014/04/25/visibility-bias-and-julius-randles-defense/

Any FO that takes him where he is projected is a BAD FO.

He wasn't guarding Early numbnuts

ihatetimthomas
06-25-2014, 03:55 PM
I think randle will not be a success in the NBA. I didn't like what I saw from him in the championship game. I didn't see the energy or hunger. He looked very passive. Could be wrong as I am no college hoops guru but nothing about him really stood out. He is pretty skilled overall hit I just don't see him being a star in the NBA