PDA

View Full Version : KG returning for 20th NBA Season

sammichoffate
06-25-2014, 06:03 PM
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/06/25/report-kevin-garnett-expected-to-return-to-nets-next-season/
:biggums:

moe94
06-25-2014, 06:05 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iFJtxt0rs_M/TUiFuotLOuI/AAAAAAAAACw/fP5HuJ53emk/s1600/kg1.gif

TheMarkMadsen
06-25-2014, 06:06 PM
He can still play the Tim Duncan role on a stacked team.

He just needs to be on a team that is good enough to win 60 games while he rest and plays like 26 minutes per game. Brooklyn isn't that place though.

Legends66NBA7
06-25-2014, 06:08 PM
He wasn't leaving 12+ million on the table.

Anyways, congrats to an amazing accomplishment, regardless of what his role is at this point of his career.

Only the 4th player in NBA history to play 20 seasons.

outbreak
06-25-2014, 06:10 PM

He just needs to be on a team that is good enough to win 60 games while he rest and plays like 26 minutes per game. Brooklyn isn't that place though.

huh? Tim Duncan played a big role on the spurs and was still a key player?

sammichoffate
06-25-2014, 06:10 PM
He wasn't leaving 12+ million on the table.

Anyways, congrats to an amazing accomplishment, regardless of what his role is at this point of his career.

Only the 4th player in NBA history to play 20 seasons.Is that his contract? Good god :wtf: Yeah, that's an amazing accomplishment. Dat longevity :eek:

Legends66NBA7
06-25-2014, 06:11 PM
I was watching this yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sQn4A8sCvM

zoom17
06-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Not surprising at all.

Legends66NBA7
06-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Is that his contract? Good god :wtf: Yeah, that's an amazing accomplishment. Dat longevity :eek:

Yes

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BRK.html

He's not going to see that type of money again. He would have to sign for the minimum if he wants to keep playing.

sammichoffate
06-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Yes

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BRK.html

He's not going to see that type of money again. He would have to sign for the minimum if he wants to keep playing.This might be his last season then, there's not much else to keep playing for after his contract is off the books.

atljonesbro
06-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Hawks fans rejoice. Bout to get a top 10 pick next year hopefully :applause: :applause:

SCdac
06-25-2014, 06:16 PM

lol, Garnett at his age is no Duncan

2013-2014 stats:

Duncan - 2,158 minutes (Lead the Spurs over Parker, Kawhi, Manu, Diaw, etc.)
Garnett - 1,109 minutes (ninth on Nets behind JJ, Deron, Pierce, Blatche, Plumlee, etc)

2014 Playoffs:

Duncan - 32.7 minutes per game (Lead the Spurs)
Garnett - 20.8 minutes per game (sixth on the Nets)

Having said that, glad we'll get to see another season of KG, however geriatric :cheers:

Black and White
06-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Good on ya KG :applause: 20 years, amazing longevity

TheMarkMadsen
06-25-2014, 06:18 PM
huh? Tim Duncan played a big role on the spurs and was still a key player?

I never said he wasn't?

Just said KG needs a better team around him to still be an effective player as he can still bring what Duncan brings in leadership & still can play elite d in "short" spurts

ErhnamDjinn
06-25-2014, 06:22 PM
damn Im old I remember when him Kidd and Shaq where the young guys in the NBA now all of them are on the way out. Damn 20 seasons.

Fork
06-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Well it's not like he's gonna leave that money

T_L_P
06-25-2014, 10:21 PM

KG was playing the Duncan role in 2011.

He's not nearly effective enough anymore to be compared to TD.

JohnFreeman
06-25-2014, 10:25 PM
I remember watching him in Minnesota :eek:

Angel Face
06-25-2014, 10:27 PM
:applause:

JellyBean
06-25-2014, 10:33 PM
:facepalm Man this is tough. I am a huge KG fan, along with Kobe, and watching KG struggle this year was like watching your big brother get beat up by the neighborhood bullies. I am sure that he will bounce back. He has too much pride to go out like he did last season.

fpliii
06-25-2014, 10:35 PM
KG was playing the Duncan role in 2011.

He's not nearly effective enough anymore to be compared to TD.
The thing is, even at his age, if you want to get the offense started, you can go to Timmy on the inside.

I'm a huge KG fan, but he was never reliable in the post. Too many fadeaways and 20 foot jumpers in general.

When he went to the block, he had a ton of great moves. He just liked the perimeter too much. :facepalm

Meticode
06-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Garnett is nothing more than an mid-range jumper shooter anymore on offense.

I don't blame him for coming back for the $12 million though.

T_L_P
06-25-2014, 10:41 PM
The thing is, even at his age, if you want to get the offense started, you can go to Timmy on the inside.

I'm a huge KG fan, but he was never reliable in the post. Too many fadeaways and 20 foot jumpers in general.

When he went to the block, he had a ton of great moves. He just liked the perimeter too much. :facepalm

I completely agree with you. I might overrate KG a little bit historically (he's technical in my top 15 as I can't think of 15 players that I'd choose to build a team around before him), but even I got a little annoyed at his love for the mid-range game. Even though he could hit them well, I don't really know what it was bringing to his team -- especially as he could have been a genuinely been an all time great post player.

fpliii
06-25-2014, 10:49 PM
I completely agree with you. I might overrate KG a little bit historically (he's technical in my top 15 as I can't think of 15 players that I'd choose to build a team around before him), but even I got a little annoyed at his love for the mid-range game. Even though he could hit them well, I don't really know what it was bringing to his team -- especially as he could have been a genuinely been an all time great post player.
I don't really have a GOAT list so I can't tell you if that's overrated.

He had some great moves, but I don't know if he could've been an all-time great post player. Skills are one thing, but it's really hard to teach instinct. If he wanted to go outside, I don't know how you convince him to go inside.

:confusedshrug:

ProfessorMurder
06-25-2014, 11:02 PM
I don't really have a GOAT list so I can't tell you if that's overrated.

He had some great moves, but I don't know if he could've been an all-time great post player. Skills are one thing, but it's really hard to teach instinct. If he wanted to go outside, I don't know how you convince him to go inside.

:confusedshrug:

Well remember they tried to make him a 3 for the start of his career, then he had a weak PG after Starbury left and he had to initiate more offense. If he had a better team and coach I bet he'd have been more of a post player than he was. He was never going to be a banger though, so it's unrealistic to expect it.

Just to bring it up again, he's the only player to have at least

20k pts / 10k reb / 5k ast / 1.5k stl / 1.5k blk

Arguably the most versatile player ever.

jaybee682
06-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Damn it seems like yesterday I was buying that Sports Illustrated with him on the cover while in HS. 20 years goes by in the twink of an eye.